• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Oh, Yay, Another Mario Game.'' Step up to Playstation 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgmo870

Banned
A dead genre with games that have outsold Uncharted and most of Sony's other first party titles.

Big names sell, regardless of the genre. If they didn't, Nintendo wouldn't slap the Mario name on everything they possibly could.

Ryuuga

Banned
Nintendo is the only other company with a "next-gen" system out right now, so naturally they're Sony's target.

Plus, it's easier to get Nintendo fans riled up.

agrees-your-argument.gif

Somnia

Does no on remember this beauty?

ff7ad_zpse72ec2ca.jpg

If you can't read the bottom it says:

"Possibly the greatest game ever made is available only on Playstation."
"Good thing, if it were available on cartridge, it'd retail for around $1,200."

All i'm trying to say is that people acting like Sony's exclusive software is leagues better than what Nintendo puts out are delusional. They both have games that are at the top of their respective genres. Like Gran Turismo for racing and Galaxy for 3d platforming.

But Sony's comedy point is that typically the best games on a Nintendo platform happen to be with the Mario character. You pretty much proved it there too.

Best party game? Mario party ( or possibly SSB w/Mario)

Best racing game? Mario kart.

Beat sports game? Mario tennis or some shit

Best 2d platformer? Yeah...

Anyway, that's all they're getting at. It's tongue in cheek anyway.

UberTag

So unless there's a slew of new Sony IPs coming, this is just bullshit.
Sony knows what their fans crave and gives it to them.
In other words, they've probably got new IPs AND bullshit.

At least it's entertaining. And hubris doesn't cost money. I say, let 'em go nuts.

Noirulus

All i'm trying to say is that people acting like Sony's exclusive software is leagues better than what Nintendo puts out are delusional. They both have games that are at the top of their respective genres. Like Gran Turismo for racing and Galaxy for 3d platforming.

That's not at all what you originally said, though.

"Oh, Yay, Another Killzone Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another God of War Game."

"Oh, Yay, Another Uncharted Game."

Works both ways, unfortunately. I want new IP's from everyone, please.

There are more games in the New Super Mario Bros franchise alone than main entries in all of the franchises you mentioned... That doesn't include all the other Mario games that also are mostly the same year in year out, or the remakes. I can't wait for the inevitable Super Mario 64U.

Sony gives plenty of great new IPs - The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls for two upcoming examples.

I agree with kitsuneyo, I really want to be team PlayStation this gen like I was with PS1/PS2 (got PS3 too late and it never really hyped me), I am also team Nintendo and them bashing Mario isn't helping me, and I'd say the same if it was the other way around (Nintendo bashing Uncharted for example).

I really hope Sony doesn't try to help the console war fights because it won't get anywhere.

I like Mario and Uncharted, but there's a ton of bashing material for both. I'd love it if Nintendo did some shit-talking too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok... my profile is near-empty and I'm sure my posting history says nothing negative about PlayStation. I just don't like adverts that attack other products while saying nothing about their own offering. I don't like all the arrogant chat, from MS or Sony. Nintendo don't really get involved in it.

Let me tell you what I see and why I said that. I see no PSN profile and a Steam, XBOX and Wii friend code. Then your post history speaks for itself and is mostly consisting of everything but things related to Sony. Other than that, you seem quite normal.

Much like I don't post much in Playstation threads or much in MSFT or Nintendo threads since they are holding little interest but next gen coming is certainly grabbing my attention.

Haunted

A thread to make us remember why they call it the console war and not the console pillow fight.

Vicious passive-aggressiveness is reaching critical levels in here.

I love this advert (no idea if its real/done by sony's marketing team or what) but not nearly as much some of the reactions in this thread =D

NotLiquid

There is not 100 different versions of either Uncharted, Killzone or God Of War.

Mario on the other hand, well - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario

Well, it's arguable that with that kind of variety you'd get a guaranteed evolution with each subseries.

Really it's all apples and oranges. Sony prefers to splinter franchise ideas with no solid "icon" or every-man mascot, keeping pretty much all franchises to a dead set formula while Nintendo likes to take every opportunity to use Mario for a new idea making things familiar yet different.

Both those mentalities have pros and cons, claiming that one is inherently better because of one such mentality isn't really beneficial.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

ff7ad_zpse72ec2ca.jpg

I vaguely remember that.

I don't even want to imagine FFVII on a cartridge.

ff7ad_zpse72ec2ca.jpg

Wow. The pre-rendered glory! I've got to be honest, I love companies getting personal like this, especially when it's Sony. Nintendo rarely rise to the bait, which is a shame. It's not like they're short on source material.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After all of this gravitas from Sony I fully expect them to ruin it all and close their E3 by announcing the PS4 being $499 or higher.

Seriously, Sony is in a great position this year. If they can release a consumer-friendly system at a decent price, they could be right back at pinnacle of popularity.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
For those that maybe dont understand why you cant point a stick at any other Sony franchise and scream "THIS IS THE SAME", Super Mario is coming up on three decades now. That'd be fine if he was used sparingly, a Mickey Mouse or even Sonic situation, but fuckers face is on EVERYTHING. Saturation feels like its hit critical mass with that recent 3DS Direct and a probably very Mario E3.

Seeing genuine salt in this thread is funny though.

Velcro Fly

You knew SonyGAF would eat this up despite Sony doing pretty much the same amount of franchise milking.

You knew Nintendo fanboys would get pissed off for attacking the saintly plumber.

Shiggy

I actually like that Sony is bringing quite a lot of new titles/IPs to the market. I wish Nintendo was still doing that. People are absolutely neglecting Sony's PSN efforts.

Azure J

ff7ad_zpse72ec2ca.jpg

These last few days of Sony have made me nostalgia so fucking hard out of nowhere. SEGA, why aren't you hear to party with us anymore? 90s console wars > everything else.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
NSMB is a sub-series though.

As is all of the games being referred to as Mario in this thread. Despite how wildly different between each other they may be, because they share the Mario name, they are just another Mario game to toss under the bus to all but an educated few.

Yea, sure. I just want this to mean "We're showing new ips/experiences or at least tech demos of new ips" , much like we can hope "Yoga isnt gaming" means no focus on such games.

I could agree if it said "oh great another New Super Mario Bros. game"

But Mario in general? Get the fuck out Sony, nothing you have has anything on Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom