• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Oh, Yay, Another Mario Game.'' Step up to Playstation 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has that X mecha GIF been posted yet?

amekbv.gif

My turn
ibfKB6jpviDRhO.gif

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

ibq1fC8dlExEVj.gif

Jamix012

Go on then, name the new IPs that Nintendo have made in the last 10 years that don't contain Mario characters and have gotten a sequel.

Off the top of my head
Wario Ware
Pushmo
FreakyForms
Dillon's Rolling Western
Rhythm Heaven
Fluidity
Brain Training
Art Academy
Wii Series

Also probably soon Xenoblade (assuming X is a sequel)

I didn't look this up, so I'm probably missing a lot, but there you go.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well, on the bright side, at least they're actual games, unlike Sony's tech demos.

Holy shit this is getting to gamefaqs level now.

He's a very salty man when it comes to Nintendo. He has a habit of being in many of the doom and gloom threads. :p

WOAH. What the fuck?

Good lord almighty. Save some for E3.

List wars lol

oh wow. Let the graveyard begin

He was talking shit so he had to pay for it.

No one is checking for Nintendo games anymore. Whenever you hear the word Mario mentioned, it's usually by some pimple faced, duck mouth losers.

2626906_o.gif

I'm a big Sony fan and all, but they churn out sequel after sequel just like the rest of them. They haven't earned the right to chastise Nintendo on this.
Sony has made me a bit of a fan this generation for sure (PS3 was my first Sony system), but I would agree that attacking Nintendo's first party is senseless... people get jacked for new Mario. Now, striking out at their casual crap from the Wii? Go nuts. They deserve heat for a lot of those.

Dahbomb

Oh shit gif warz now.

This thread is thread of the month only rivaled by the Kaz thread...

Sony better bring it or the Internet is going to be out for blood.

Well, apart from Killzone being an unremarkable shooter in nearly every aspect except the graphics in 2 and 3, my point still stands. Mario is an older franchise that has branched successfully into multiple genres (besides, if people would buy Killzone Golf or Tennis, Sony would not hesitate). But there aren't going to be many of those games that play exactly in the same. Mario Party probably had the most entries that played similarly in the past decade.

Why does it matter if it's first party or not? Nintendo is clearly funding The Wonderful 101 and they own the IP. Other posters have demonstrated Nintendo's other efforts (which are perhaps most notable on the eShop with games like Harmoknight and Pushmo/Crashmo).

I'm going to be honest and say I hated Killzone 1, thought 2 was decent and 3 was good but I never finished it. Never touched the PSP one, so from a personal standpoint - it's a sucky example. I'm merely going by franchises in the original list.
God of War and Uncharted on the other hand are excellent, especially God of War.

I enjoy Nintendo's stuff. I still have my N64 set up in my room. I'm not the sort of person - a fanboy or whatever - who binds themselves only to one company. I enjoy playing a variety of stuff from a range of companies. I'm just saying Nintendo's first party offerings have been weak at best lately, aside from Zelda - maybe. Sony have been incredible with their first party.

ironcreed

Banned
I think Pandora's Box has just been opened. Welcome to a taste of GAF for the next gen. Gaming needed a shot in the ass, so it's good to see... in all it's absurd glory.

Alienous

It's sweet flavour popcorn, incase you were wondering.

Hey, uh, Skyward Sword is sucky and repetetive and Nintendo can't design good anymore!

(Heh, heh. Entertain me, NeoGaf).

KillGore

I don't get how. The series has average gameplay. I mean, average isn't bad, it just means "like everybody else". It doesn't do anything to distinguish itself from the competition other than have nice graphics and good writing. As for God of War, go into any action game thread. It just isn't up to par with the competition.

What competition? I'm curious. Gears??

I know Uncharted took inspiration from the old Tomb Raider games (though the new Tomb Raider seems to have taken some inspiration from Uncharted).

I think Pandora's Box has just been opened. Welcome to a taste of GAF for the next gen. Gaming needed a shot in the ass, so it's good to see... in all it's absurd glory.

Most of these posts are from juniors. Someone mentioned this looks like gamefaqs and he is right.

teiresias

Regardless of whether this is really from Sony or not, I cannot believe the delusion it takes to equate the length of time Nintendo has been relying on the same old IPs to something like Killzone, God of War, or Uncharted.

Nintendo has been leaning on the same old IP properties since the 1980s and part of the reason the WiiU is suffering is that they haven't put in the work to build up first party offerings that are giving anyone other than Nintendo hardcore fans something new to look forwar to that doesn't involve Mario or Zelda (which of course will please the Nintendo hardcore, but is hardly going to drive anyone else to pick up the system).

Izick

It's so fun seeing everyone getting into console wars mode. It may be childish but at least there is some damn passion to it!

EDIT: Some people are actin crazy though.

Domino792

Ohh come on Sony!

It was better when they were poking jabs at yoga games and Xbox motto of jump out.

But this "ohh another Mario game" kinda thing isn't cool. It's too specific.

its not like its the first time they have gone after mario. People are devolving into children at a harmless fun jab by Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom