• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Oh, Yay, Another Mario Game.'' Step up to Playstation 2/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
But can I relate to Mario (other than our shared admiration for thaumaturigcal fungi)? No, because I've never had to rescue a princess from a large dino-man, only for her to CONSISTENTLY be in a different castle.

Kratos is a man sharing his stages of grief with us, naked to the world. He doesn't hide his emotions behind a bushy mustache like that emotionless meatball in a red jumper. He invites us in to share in his journey of emotional discovery and to share in the understanding he achieves at the climax of each epic adventure.

As for gameplay, Mario only changes it's formula up so much because it's too shallow to allow for more than a few iterations on the same basic template before the cracks show through. I'd hardly call that a positive.

Honestly, if Homer were alive today I think he'd feel more than a touch of pride at how his works provided the backdrop for the God of War franchise to build upon, recognizing Kratos as every bit the timeless hero that Achilles and Odysseus are.

So what you're telling me is that you don't play video games? I mean, saying a downside of a series is that it changes it's gameplay constantly (for the better each time even) to keep it varied and another is better because while it always plays the same, it has a story that takes inspiration from an ancient poet?

Azure J

you know what mario game was fucking sick

mario golf on the gbc. it wasn't the mario kart formula in golf form like every other mario sports game, you were like the fucking Red from Pokemon of the country club, white privileging it up on the links like a motherfucker

On top of being completely fucking true, this post has this line in it. PoTY2013

And as I said, it's not just gameplay that makes up a game - it's characters, world, visuals, etc... impossible to disconnect from the package. No matter how good the gameplay is, EVENTUALLY one is going to get fucking exhausted of revisiting these same tired landscapes and individuals.

These are all part of the assessment of a games value, and when you so frequently remove the sense of newness from a game because you remove ones ability to get excited for those aspects of a title, you do diminish the value of the brand.

Holy shit...

I wouldn't go that far. It's not like, say Paper Mario/M&L = RPGs dolled up Mario style. Many of those franchises have unique takes on their respective genres, and also explore different facets of the Mario-verse, if that's your thing.

LuuKyK

When did Sony change the PR firm?

Last month. IIRC

It's crazy that Sony fanboys still exist with all of their former amazing exclusives ported to every platform under then sun.

lmao what the hell?
help.gif

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
But those 22 games are different things though. You get a couple incredibly shallow golf and tennis games, kart racers, and party games! God of war is all hack n slash, it's so much worse.

Time and again, Bowser kidnaps Peach. Why do Mario and Peach still race go-karts and play tennis with him?

SM: If you're familiar with things like Popeye and some of the old comic characters, you would oftentimes see this cast of characters that takes on different roles depending on the comic or cartoon. They might be businessman in one [cartoon] or a pirate in another. Depending on the story that was being told, they would change roles. So, to a certain degree, I look at our characters in a similar way and feel that they can take on different roles in different games. It's more like they're one big family, or maybe a troupe of actors.

iby1h1G7MoeEIW.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Übermatik;47814494 said:
Shouldn't Sony be worrying more about the XBOX - Nintendo's always done their own thing.

Lol this makes a lot of sense actually.

They had a go at xbox a little earlier with "jump off" or something.

Still, bravo.

SkylineRKR

So what you're telling me is that you don't play video games? I mean, saying a downside of a series is that it changes it's gameplay constantly (for the better each time even) to keep it varied and another is better because while it always plays the same, it has a story that takes inspiration from an ancient poet?

2411393_o.gif

Code:
Everyone who tries golf falls in love with the sport.

For some, golf is a way of life..

Their dream is...
...to be the best!

inspirational words

also i am apparently level 38 at golfing and never got higher than 2nd place in the peach's castle tournament, fuuuuuuuuck

Apath

Why are people more interested in a meta observation of the thread than addressing the issues that Mario games are played out?
But is Mario played out? I would give you NSMB, which has seen very little evolution in every aspect. Outside of that, Mario games are some of the best games ever made -- Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are some of the best games ever made. And you can bet the next 3D Mario will be right up there with them or better.

Then play A Link To The Past so you get the hipster "Ocarina is just 3D LttP" card to play when you're screwing around online.
OOT shits all over LTTP so hard I find it hard to believe it's not considered an objective statement that OOT is better than LTTP.

Dahbomb

Why are people more interested in a meta observation of the thread than addressing the issues that Mario games are played out?
Because we already know the Mario games are played out (except for the mainline 3D Marios, the line is clearly referring to all the sub category of Mario games that are just more of the same). That one line hits it on the head, it's saying what many people here were already thinking. The entertainment from this thread is people trying to defend the statement while also trying to attack Sony IPs with the counter defense of people listing IPs, posting gifs and then devolving into sale numbers of the companies latest hardware releases.

It really doesn't get much better than this.

BY2K

Membero Americo

The thread wasn't even about that to begin with, it was about Sony's marketing. (That particular ad probably isn't by Sony, even.)

Because anyone that gives a shit about gameplay would realize that they all play completely different.

But hey, leave it to a Sony fan to focus on presentation over the actual gameplay.

lol And with that, I'm out of this thread for dinner, 11/10 best thread so far

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I can't no more recognise the trolling from the sarcasm from the serious posts

well I guess that's that for me in this thread

ffdgh

He's being sarcastic lol.

And as I said, it's not just gameplay that makes up a game - it's characters, world, visuals, etc... impossible to disconnect from the package. No matter how good the gameplay is, EVENTUALLY one is going to get fucking exhausted of revisiting these same tired landscapes and individuals.

These are all part of the assessment of a games value, and when you so frequently remove the sense of newness from a game because you remove ones ability to get excited for those aspects of a title, you do diminish the value of the brand.

This is exactly one of the reasons I rarely play Nintendo games anymore or don't have any desire to in the future. The games might be all different genres but they're still set in the same world, with the same look, the same colours, same characters and similar graphic style, which was fun when the wii came out but after so many years I've grown tired of.

prwxv3

Because anyone that gives a shit about gameplay would realize that they all play completely different.

But hey, leave it to a Sony fan to focus on presentation over the actual gameplay.

oh come on now.

Then play A Link To The Past so you get the hipster "Ocarina is just 3D LttP" card to play when you're screwing around online.

THEN play Link's Awakening, so you can do the whole "Meh, it's been downhill since Link's Awakening, they just keep padding the series with more crap"

the ViewtifulJC kool kids klub aka the KKK

...I need to rethink that name

Azure J

Code:
Everyone who tries golf falls in love with the sport.

For some, golf is a way of life..

Their dream is...
...to be the best!

inspirational words

also i am apparently level 38 at golfing and never got higher than 2nd place in the peach's castle tournament, fuuuuuuuuck

Fuck the Peach Castle tourny. That cup was haxxed as fuck.

Mario is played out as far as overuse to keep things "safe". The mainline platformers are all consistently good, but then again it's really hard to be a bad platformer imo.

Kangi

Ice cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom