• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ohio Cop Pulls Over Black Man for Making Direct Eye Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

Sheesh. Follow the guy around until he finds a good reason to pull him over. Don't have a good reason then make one up.

US got some serious problems with their cops.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
They might as well skip the bullshit and answer "because I fucking can" when asked why they pulled someone over.

"As suspicious as 'making direct eye contact' may be to a police officer, doing the exact opposite—that is, avoiding eye contact with a police officer—could be considered equally suspicious by an officer," Pakman wrote. "In other words, both making eye contact and not making eye contact with police could, conceivably, be grounds for a traffic stop."
FK3PLFRD43ETVPKN0M.LARGE.jpg

xbhaskarx

Taken from a reddit post about this from a few days ago:

Officers who specialize in drug interdiction are taught to look for certain "clues" that might indicate that someone is involved in criminal activity. Two of these clues, and I shit you not, are:

Holding eye contact for too long (driver or passenger), which is supposed to indicate that they are nervous.
The "straight ahead gaze" where NOBODY in the car looks at you, which indicates that they are nervous.
So don't look for too long, but also don't not look. What's the correct amount of time to make eye contact?

Balphon

Next someone is going to get pulled over for avoiding eye contact.

It's surely already been used as a basis for suspicion many times already. The only thing different here is the officer forgetting himself and abandoning the pretext for the stop.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Must be hiding something deadly.

There's no way to win in this situation. I'm just going to wear sunglasses all day (and night). Shit. Even that's suspicious.

It's surely already been used as a basis for suspicion many times already. The only thing different here is the officer forgetting himself and abandoning the pretext for the stop.

The least suspicious thing I can think of is some phony glance, nod, smile thing.

Numb

1.7 seconds. Any more or less and your ass is about to threaten the officers life.

Do it in passing and in a nonthreatening manner. Make sure you are facing the officer because a side glance with just the eyes facing away means you got something going on.

What a day.

It's shit like this is the reason I don't go out much. After years of listening to former cop testimonials reveal what every smart, sane person has been saying about the police.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Was at the gas station filling up one time. A biker was also filling up. Cop car parked near him. The biker finished and headed out. Cop then followed him. lol, didn't look like he did anything wrong. I thought the cop was waiting to fill up, but he was just waiting for the biker.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So the officer uses his own judgement for what 100 ft looks like?

If a cop wants to pull you over, you're getting pulled over. I got pulled over for running a yellow light one time, but what they really wanted to do was give me a breathalyzer. Mind you, that was in Boulder CO and they're notorious for that kind of crap.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
There's a good Sharingan joke out there, waiting to be plucked out of the ether.

hoola

Neo Member
I've also heard of cops pulling people over for driving with their hands in the 10:00 and 2:00 positions on the steering wheel...you know, the position you are trained to drive on. The reason was that people who drive with their hands in that position are known to be nervous about something. Prolly hiding drugs, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom