• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, FEAR really sucks.

Acosta

I thought it was pretty reasonable, your "fact" is just another opinion. Its not backed up by references to valid scientific research. Max Payne 2 had slomo, havok physics, a pretty decent particle engine, debris flying around and real weapons that didnt feel as flimsy

Your commentary about "passing junior high" was out of place. It´s like I start my posts saying "I suppose you are intelligent enough to understand me". If you think I´m not worth of speaking with, don´t lose your time. I respect all the posters and what they say, even if we are not agree.

No, it´s not another opinion and it´s the only point in all this thread I keep it as fact. There is no other game in the genre that shows combat at the same way that F.E.A.R. About Max Payne, we shouldn´t be comparing a third person game with a FPS, we are speaking different genres here. Combats in Max Payne can´t be taken the same way than F.E.A.R for a lot of reasons, starting from the camera perspective and finishing with a very superior technology.

If you want a proof, take any other FPS around and compare how each one manages combat. The combination of I.A, technology and design makes combat in F.E.A.R a different experience from any other FPS in the market. Is that good? well, for me it is, maybe is not for other one.

Like the matrix reloaded?

The film? Reviewing games is quite different than reviewing movies (however I saw very bad critics of Reloaded in my country, so...).

Take on count that I said "had something". General good reviews tend to mean there is something, not that everyone agree that the game is fantastic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Belfast said:
Its a bit cliche to bitch about the AI, now isn't it? :p You should know better by now that every FPS for the past 10 years has claimed to have "THE MOST ADVANCED AI EVAR!!!"

Only Daikatana delivered.

Mrbob

Why is FEAR being compared to Max Payne 2? They both have slo mo and physics wow wow wow.

I've played and finished Max Payne 2. The game rocks. But it feels nothing like FEAR.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mrbob said:
Why is FEAR being compared to Max Payne 2? They both have slo mo and physics wow wow wow.

I've played and finished Max Payne 2. The game rocks. But it feels nothing like FEAR.

Congratulations on your madden championship.

Gaijin To Ronin said:
Your commentary about "passing junior high" was out of place. It´s like I start my posts saying "I suppose you are intelligent enough to understand me". If you think I´m not worth of speaking with, don´t lose your time. I respect all the posters and what they say, even if we are not agree.

No, it´s not another opinion and it´s the only point in all this thread I keep it as fact. There is no other game in the genre that shows combat at the same way that F.E.A.R. About Max Payne, we shouldn´t be comparing a third person game with a FPS, we are speaking different genres here. Combats in Max Payne can´t be taken the same way than F.E.A.R for a lot of reasons, starting from the camera perspective and finishing with a very superior technology.

Alright, I'm sorry I offended you, I'll give you that. But just repeating what you said is not going to make it into a fact. That's just not how it works.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think comparing the thrill of Max Payne 2 with the thrill of FEAR is a compliment. I have told friends that FEAR is like Max Payne 2 in that you use bullet time AND you have a vast array of weapons at your disposal to dish out death. I love quick-saving in FEAR right before I sense a big battle coming up and then trying different ways to unleash hell. Great stuff. And as far as the atmosphere goes, I HATE going to my office in the middle of the night by myself, and FEAR taps into that fear somewhat.

DenogginizerOS said:
I think comparing the thrill of Max Payne 2 with the thrill of FEAR is a compliment.

Sure its a compliment, but it also defeats the argument that F.E.A.R. is unique in this supposedly.

But I guess we may have gotten besides the point here.

teepo

you know when people talk about how a certain fps is everything that halflife2, doom3 or halo2 wasn't then you know they're just full of shit. just look at the offical fear thread and it's just a bunch of people doing that.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wow - and now the game is good AND it looks a hell of a lot better than it did yesterday! :D

galoisky

DenogginizerOS said:
I am enjoying it and feel very entertained. I wonder what the trade-in value is at EB for those who want to get rid of it already?

EB doesn't accept pc trades anymore. Good old takeov... I mean merger.

Acosta

Alright, I'm sorry I offended you, I'll give you that. But just repeating what you said is not going to make it into a fact. That's just not how it works.

Perfect, that is all I wanted. Thanks.

You have not quoted the last port of my thread, that is the only proof I can give you.

Just give me one FPS that you think it has a combat that feels the same or quite similar that the one of F.E.A.R, general I.A, physics, use of bullet time, interaction of enemy with scenario, interaction of enemy between them, intensity, visuals,... just one.

It´s not a big deal, I´m just saying that F.E.A.R offers something new on combat compared with any other FPS. Not that is the best game ever or that this is the way of doing things.

And I keep saying that comparing this with Max Payne is like comparing Devil May Cry and Doom (maybe not as radical, but you get the idea). We are speaking of FPS here, no one is saying F.E.A.R has a feature as revolutionary as it was the own bullet time when Max Payne was released.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't see the Max Payne comparison to be as ludicrously misheld as you hold it. In practice, the execution is not that dissimilar outside of the exuberant flash and 'smoke and mirrors' FEAR potrudes. The Havok physics provide a deft sense of weight in each fired buckshot, as is the literal need to dart for quick cover in between firing off slo-mo for a few juggle-friendly kill spasms. The perspective may be altered, but it's still the same reticle guiding the chaos. Throw in an uninspiring stage progression/design ethic, and a distinct lack of variety to the endless encounters, and you have yourself a a lot more similarities than DMC to DOOM.

FEAR does an admirable job of utilizing current hardware technology to pump out particles and fireworks that explode on screen with delightful precision, but a revolution this does not make. AI scripting is bound to a single enemy type, and everything surrounding the eye-candy is deplorable.

I'd also suggest looking at Painkiller if you have need to satisfy crude gunplay and a hefty dose of physics at work. That gem may hail from the 'circle strafe' methodology of FPS design instead of the duck-and-cover antics of a FEAR, but the level locales and enemy design is inviting to the senses and the gunplay is equally as daffy.

Deg

Banned
I dont think the term fps does justice to how varied this genre is.

I notice Quake 4 is also getting strong recommendations.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I really enjoyed FEAR. I hear all the complaints about poor story and bad level design but I just loved the combat so much.

I actually tried NOT to use slow-mo as much as possible to give the AI a chance to shine. It made everything feel much more dramatic.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Brandon F said:
Somewhere in Interval 08 and I just want to sell this game.

What difficulty are you playing on?

I'm slugging through it when I have time on the second to the hardest setting and I find the AI to be really good. And I'm a total AI whore.

The leaning Q/E thing... I find that if I can hit them like that, they can almost always hit me as well, so it's attrition.

DenogginizerOS

chespace said:
What difficulty are you playing on?

I'm slugging through it when I have time on the second to the hardest setting and I find the AI to be really good. And I'm a total AI whore.

The leaning Q/E thing... I find that if I can hit them like that, they can almost always hit me as well, so it's attrition.

I am also playing it on the next to hardest level, just started interval 8, and I am an AI whore as well. I suggest folks ramp up the difficulty to the hardest setting and see if you can get through one of the various firefights unscathed if you want to get a challenge. Plus, early on, just use the dual pistols and see how far you get. The point is, there are many ways to have fun with the firefights which is what I feel Monolith was going after.

Brandon F

:Cue the pitchforks:

I think I am playing on the default difficulty, is it possible to change the difficulty midgame? I really don't think I can start the whole game over even assuming there is a big jump in quality control.

DenogginizerOS

Brandon F said:
:Cue the pitchforks:

I think I am playing on the default difficulty, is it possible to change the difficulty midgame? I really don't think I can start the whole game over even assuming there is a big jump in quality control.

I am pretty sure you can change the difficulty because one of the helpful hints at a loading point said you can lower the difficulty if you are dying a lot.

Brandon F

Ok I'll at least try and finish the game on the most crushing difficulty option available then, see if that'll silence negative Nancy.

Brandon F said:
I don't see the Max Payne comparison to be as ludicrously misheld as you hold it. In practice, the execution is not that dissimilar outside of the exuberant flash and 'smoke and mirrors' FEAR potrudes. The Havok physics provide a deft sense of weight in each fired buckshot, as is the literal need to dart for quick cover in between firing off slo-mo for a few juggle-friendly kill spasms. The perspective may be altered, but it's still the same reticle guiding the chaos. Throw in an uninspiring stage progression/design ethic, and a distinct lack of variety to the endless encounters, and you have yourself a a lot more similarities than DMC to DOOM.

Hurray :), cheers m8.

Acosta

Fair enough, but you will forgive me if I don´t see it the same way. I played it quite enough to see a really good ammount of combat situations that surprised me. There is a different approach with the I.A and I appreciated it while I was playing and seeing how the enemies reacted to my actions. When I reviewed it I passed some hours "experimenting" with I.A using the god mode and I got amazed. Sometimes is not the same analyzing something than playing it, maybe that is one of the problems.

Max Payne doen´t ask for the precission of movement needed for F.E.A.R, doen´t offer the same challenge from enemies and you can´t approach the combat the same way. Max Payne is a pure action game, with a simple (but great) mindless action-reaction mechanic where enemies are there for being shooted. Enemies never surprised me in Max Payne 1 neither in Max Payne 2, while in F.E.A.R especially in both hardest modes they show reactions I can believe and that really surprised me.

I´m not trying to say combat is revolutionary, because there is no obvius feature that you can identify as so. I just say that because a lot of things, combat feel different from other game in this genre. Painkiller, for example, offers a much more known approach, adding it nice detailes here and there. But it´s a type of game everyone has played before. Maybe Painkiller is more enjoyable than F.E.A.R for lot of people, but we have been playing that, with lot of improvements, since Wolfestein.

It´s clear that we are not going to see this game the same way. Just hope it´s clear that I don´t try to prove anyone wrong, I just try to defend my own points here.

Top Bottom