• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD confirmed for a 12/12 Western release. (PC, PS4, XB1; U$19.99)

mrmickfran

Bat-slap.jpg

Of course a terrible opinion would put one of the worst Zelda games ahead.

boi bye

ChrisD

Oh, only $20? I saw the announcement tweet on a Sponsored Sony tweet, but it had no price. Wasn't too thrilled without a price.

Seeing this thread now, that's awesome for me. $20 is the perfect spot. Will be my first time playing it.

brad-t

I really loved this game my first time through, but I found it a bit of a slog the second time around. Also I find Issun's personality really grating, and there's honestly way too much dialogue in general. The game is already long enough!

OmegaDL50

I was gonna make a similar comment when I first saw this thread earlier lol

It's gonna be the best Zelda game this year ;)

Okami is great and all and one of the greatest games in it's particular genre of action adventure among the likes of Zelda, but I certainly wouldn't go so far to say it's better than BOTW, as you are implying, but opinions and all that.

MrKeinov

I have a question for people arguing Okami is better than any Zelda game. What makes a good Zelda game? For me its dungeon and puzzle designs, and Okami was unremarkable at best, might even consider it poor in that regards. It had a much better story and world, I would give it that.

This feels like when people were calling Darksiders "The best zelda game since Oot" when it first came out. When I played it I said yeah its a good action adventure game but really people?!? I never felt the essence of Zelda from any other game to be honest.

gfxtwin

Good to see Capcom are still giving the classics their due. Now lets get a Devil May Cry 1-3 collection, Onimusha collection, Viewtiful Joe collection, Killer 7 and Dino Crisis 1-3 (or even a remake, sequel or reboot).

EulaCapra

This game keeps coming to so many generations of consoles, it's become cruel to even think about a Okamiden remake or a proper sequel.

Wamb0wneD

I have a question for people arguing Okami is better than any Zelda game. What makes a good Zelda game? For me its dungeon and puzzle designs, and Okami was unremarkable at best, might even consider it poor in that regards. It had a much better story and world, I would give it that.

This feels like when people were calling Darksiders "The best zelda game since Oot" when it first came out. When I played it I said yeah its a good action adventure game but really people?!? I never felt the essence of Zelda from any other game to be honest.

I think what makes them kinda similar is that they go for a really unique atmosphere. Different ones for sure but they both are pretty unique in their setting. That both have GOAT stellar soundtracks sure helps as well. Gameplay wise i think the brush techniques are the most creative equivalent of Zelda items ever done.

Sure, they don't have the same presence in dungeons (which is a shame, but there really is no game series that has been remotely as good as Zelda in that regard, and I don't know if actual leveldesign is Kamiya's strong suit. Never played something where that would stand out tbh) but in towns, the environment as a whole, and most importantly combat they sure do. (drawing petals on the water for example and then wind to move forward, or get the moon or sun shining at a specific point, or draw an upwards stream of water etc pp.)

Apropos combat, I think that's one of the things it really is better at than Zelda, but that's expected of Kamiya. Besides that the story and world as a whole, but you already adressed those.

I would call it better than Skyward Sword (outside the Ancient Cistern and everyting timestone related) for sure though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wish there was a special edition with a steelbook case or something. A special Okami happi coat would be cool too.

Wamb0wneD

You have to be charmed by Okami to like it. Repetition aside, bosses and combat aren't that fun.

Depends what you make of it. Trying to chain combos and different weapon combinations combined with the brush techniques you can use in combat and going for a good time /damage output/input I think it's actually really well done. Did you visit the dojo to get more moves?

It doesn't always translate well to bosses but some of those are quite creative and fun to fight imo.

Qwyjibo

I loved my one and only playthrough of Okami but I'm not sure I could go through it again. It's such a surprising time commitment (when will this game end?!) and there are too many new games out there to enjoy.

Usobuko

Banned
Depends what you make of it. Trying to chain combos and different weapon combinations combined with the brush techniques you can use in combat and going for a good time /damage output/input I think it's actually really well done. Did you visit the dojo to get more moves?

It doesn't always translate well to bosses but some of those are quite creative and fun to fight imo.

I platinum the game so I guess I got all the moves.

But I can't agree with chaining combo using brush techniques because the setup isn't fun to press. It's like two different control schemes that you need to awkwardly gel together.

Playsage

I think what makes them kinda similar is that they go for a really unique atmosphere. Different ones for sure but they both are pretty unique in their setting. That both have GOAT stellar soundtracks sure helps as well. Gameplay wise i think the brush techniques are the most creative equivalent of Zelda items ever done.

Sure, they don't have the same presence in dungeons (which is a shame, but there really is no game series that has been remotely as good as Zelda in that regard, and I don't know if actual leveldesign is Kamiya's strong suit. Never played something where that would stand out tbh) but in towns, the environment as a whole, and most importantly combat they sure do. (drawing petals on the water for example and then wind to move forward, or get the moon or sun shining at a specific point, or draw an upwards stream of water etc pp.)

Apropos combat, I think that's one of the things it really is better at than Zelda, but that's expected of Kamiya. Besides that the story and world as a whole, but you already adressed those.

I would call it better than Skyward Sword (outside the Ancient Cistern and everyting timestone related) for sure though.
This just made me fantasize about using the celestial brush mechanics in the BOTW engine

Origin of all that is good and mother to us all...

Sora_N

Damn, bought PS2 release and PS3 ones but never had time to play. I'll probably wait for a digital copy to be cheaper before I buy it for PS4 to play when I finally have a chance.

At least PS4 has rest mode, it will help me a lot.

silva1991

It isn't about what makes a Zelda game great for me. People consider it a zelda style game and i personally like it way more than any zelda game in existence. thus I say it's the best zelda game for me.

It's like RE4 in that regard. RE4 isn't a great RE style game compared to the original PS1 games game, but it's still my favorite RE game.

Wamb0wneD

I platinum the game so I guess I got all the moves.

But I can't agree with chaining combo using brush techniques because the setup isn't fun to press. It's like two different control schemes that you need to awkwardly gel together.

Hmm did you play it on the Wii? Because there you had your waggle moves for combos and just had to press the shoulder button on the wiimote to get into the draw mode and just..well...draw, with quite natural hand and wrist movements. Worked really well and fluently.

I didn't like the drawing on a normal controller as much. Didn't even figure out how you could do broader and thinner brush strokes in the time I played with a dualshock. On the other hand normal combos were 100% accurate instead of 95% of the time.

Edit: Nvm just realized you said platinumed lol. My bad.
This just made me fantasize about using the celestial brush mechanics in the BOTW engine

Origin of all that is good and mother to us all...

Ahhhh stop. Humanity doesn't deserve this.

Hmm did you play it on the Wii? Because there you had your waggle moves for combos and just had to press the shoulder button on the wiimote to get into the draw mode and just..well...draw, with quite natural hand and wrist movements. Worked really well and fluently.

I didn't like the drawing on a normal controller as much. Didn't even figure out how you could do broader and thinner brush strokes in the time I played with a dualshock. On the other hand normal combos were 100% accurate instead of 95% of the time.
This is the entire reason I'm naively hoping for a Switch announcement tomorrow. I don't even need the portability all that much, I just want to play it with split Joy-Cons.

Sesha

Good to see Capcom are still giving the classics their due. Now lets get a Devil May Cry 1-3 collection, Onimusha collection, Viewtiful Joe collection, Killer 7 and Dino Crisis 1-3 (or even a remake, sequel or reboot).

Been done. Unless you mean for current gen and PC, but in that case you shouldn't have said "a" DMC 1-3 collection.

I tried the PS3 remaster and was disappointed by the visuals. The colour of everything seems to seep outside the ink outlines, giving a really blurry look to everything. It was incredibly offputting. Also that fucking unskippable intro needs to die in a fire. I cant believe they didnt patch in an option to skip it. 20 minutes of unskippable dialogue, its a dreadful start to the game. Okami is a good game but crazy over rated, its far too long, and far too repetitive. Its reputation pretty much coasts on its visuals which were unique at the time.

Ill get the PC version when it drops to 10 quid or so.

SirNinja

Okami is a good game but crazy over rated, its far too long, and far too repetitive. Its reputation pretty much coasts on its visuals which were unique at the time.

It absolutely does not. The gameplay's great, the soundtrack is peerless, and I didn't even have many qualms about the long runtime (other than the completely gratuitous boss rush before the last fight). The game is far, far more than just the visuals.

joe2187

Banned
It absolutely does not. The gameplay's great, the soundtrack is peerless, and I didn't even have many qualms about the long runtime (other than the completely gratuitous boss rush before the last fight). The game is far, far more than just the visuals.

This. Very not overrated at all.

One of the best Zelda games of all time.

Nohar

20$? Now you're talking. Okami is a great game, and a must-buy for anyone for didn't play it before.
°mumble mumble* I wish it was also released on Switch *mumble mumble*

Canklestank

Neo Member
Yeeeesssssss. So in. Finally get to play this gem. And I guess I'm technically double dipping because I think I own it on PS3, but there's no way I'm saying no to a PC release.

Top Bottom