• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, so I guess T-Mobile is pretty legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I dunno if the service or faster or if it's just because it's a new phone but holy crap the iPhone SE is flying. Love it so far.

I'm poking around in the phone settings and there's so many new things I've either never seen before, never had access to, or weren't available on my old phone.

Is Wi-Fi Calling something I should activate? When I tick it off in settings it changes the carrier to "T-Mobile Wi-Fi" instead of T-Mobile. is that better or worse?

Still nothing on the 20% off front, though the phone was only properly ported/activated at about 2AM CST, so it's roughly been eight hours. How long should I wait to call in about that? Should I give it the rest of the day or maybe even the rest of the weekend?

emag

T-Mobile's billing system is still garbage. Got a text that this time my promotional credits would be properly applied, but I can't see the bill yet for the period that closed over a week ago. So far T-Mobile has overcharged me by several hundred dollars, but it's a significant hassle to try to get customer service to correct each bill individually.

For the code do you need one per line or does it blanket the entire plan?

Whole plan.

What is a good plan for 4 people?

There aren't any choices anymore. The "ONE" plan is it: $160/month (including taxes/fees) for four lines. On the plus side, the "ONE" plans are a lot simpler in terms of billing, so you shouldn't run into the problems documented above.

kirblar

I dunno if the service or faster or if it's just because it's a new phone but holy crap the iPhone SE is flying. Love it so far.

I'm poking around in the phone settings and there's so many new things I've either never seen before, never had access to, or weren't available on my old phone.

Is Wi-Fi Calling something I should activate? When I tick it off in settings it changes the carrier to "T-Mobile Wi-Fi" instead of T-Mobile. is that better or worse?

Still nothing on the 20% off front, though the phone was only properly ported/activated at about 2AM CST, so it's roughly been eight hours. How long should I wait to call in about that? Should I give it the rest of the day or maybe even the rest of the weekend?
I got it pretty soon after the number ported in (w/in 24 hours)

emag

The SE/6s is a huge upgrade over the 5c.

77651.png

58219.png

If you're frequently in locations with poor cellular service but good WiFi service, try WiFi calling. It routes phone calls/SMS over WiFi instead of the cellular connection. It's tremendously important for me as I spend a lot of time in my basement, which gets little T-Mobile signal. Likewise for my office at work. If you have a great cell signal everywhere or frequently connect to restricted/limited WiFi networks, leave it off.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm saving something like exactly $130.84 monthly after switching to T-Mobile from Verizon.

And my 10GB family plan is now ubiquitous unlimited data.

Fewer dead spots than Verizon in my area so I end the day with more battery life since I'm not searching for a signal constantly.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
ssVJZxNl.png

Oh hell yeah.

I activated the HD Video and 10GB of tethered data as well last night. I kinda want to take my 3DS out to a random parking lot just to try out playing Mario Kart online or something, I've never had access to tethered data before. (Though I've also not really needed it.)

BigBeauford

Gold Member
Has anyone mentioned that you can also get a free galaxy s7/edge when trading in a phone when switching to t-mobile? So I got two lines for 80, plus 10 dollars off per month with autopsy, the free phone after rebate, and still received a free gear vr.

Falchion

Has anyone mentioned that you can also get a free galaxy s7/edge when trading in a phone when switching to t-mobile? So I got two lines for 80, plus 10 dollars off per month with autopsy, the free phone after rebate, and still received a free gear vr.

That's only a few eligible phones though right? I just hope they have an S8 promotion of some kind because it looks sick and I'd like to upgrade.

BigBeauford

Gold Member
That's only a few eligible phones though right? I just hope they have an S8 promotion of some kind because it looks sick and I'd like to upgrade.

You'll have to check in the store. I traded an iPhone 6 in. So far, I like my S7E much much better. Also, T-Mobile is buying out my previous contract for whatever balance was left. The store experience at T-Mobile was much better than Sprints as well. Basically, I think being with Sprint for such a long time, I developed a battered spouse attitude with carriers, but I am legitimately happy for the first time in a while.

Syriel

If you have it on, it connects to the network over WiFi. Good if you are in an area with no signal (or overseas).

IIRC, WiFi voice creates an IPSec VPN connection to a virtual tower at TMO HQ. The voice packets are pushed over that, but the phone itself treats it as any other cell tower. It's just always a cell tower located in Washington state, no matter where you are physically located.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I called my mother and she said the call was breaking up so I activated Wi-Fi calling and called her back and she didn't seem to have any more issues so I guess I'll keep it on to see how well it works.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Alright, finally received my sim. The guy on the phone said my discount had already been applied and there was nothing else for me to do. Am I supposed to receive a text about the discount? I don't see it when I log into my account wither.

I am also having trouble turning on HD though. It gives me an error when I try.

ssVJZxNl.png

Oh hell yeah.

I activated the HD Video and 10GB of tethered data as well last night. I kinda want to take my 3DS out to a random parking lot just to try out playing Mario Kart online or something, I've never had access to tethered data before. (Though I've also not really needed it.)

Could you try the tethering and let me know how you like it?

Just moved on Friday, and I get no phone service (although i can text. I did set it up to connect to my home internet, but still, no phone service) inside my new apartment (although it does outside), blah.
T-Mobile's sending me a signal booster, it should be here Tuesday.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just moved on Friday, and I get no phone service (although i can text. I did set it up to connect to my home internet, but still, no phone service) inside my new apartment (although it does outside), blah.
T-Mobile's sending me a signal booster, it should be here Tuesday.

You can't make a call over Wi-Fi either?

Mirado

Switched from AT&T; went from $105 a month for 2GBs on two lines to $80 a month for unlimited everything with that One plan plus Insider Hookup deal.

Signal's not as great vs AT&T but we're still using two iPhone 6+ which lack the 700 Mhz capabilities necessary to take advantage of T-Mobile's Band 12 extended range stuff. I'll probably switch to a Galaxy S8+ once it comes out; in the meantime, Wifi calling works just fine for my home.

Particle Physicist

T mobile messages are slowly coming in so maybe I just have to wait longer. On the plus side cell reception has been great so far and my download speeds are way better than att

You can't make a call over Wi-Fi either?

Nope. It's really odd, since I figured that would fully solve the issue. But even connected to my wireless network (300Mbps), it still has calling issues.
I don't really get it, but ah well, only a $25 deposit for the signal booster, that'll be here tomorrow, and that should solve the issue.

Eusis

$150 debit card for every line you brought over. Would be $450 for me.
Call them. Mine was weird and had the lines declined only for it to be resubmitted, but then one got declined anyway while the other was approved.

EDIT: And apparently there was an issue where many people were wrongly declined, or that's what I was told by the service rep anyway.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The hookup offer extends to any additional lines I add to my account from here on out, correct? I feel like I read that it did a while back but I just wanted to double-check.

QZalJaO.jpg

Getting close to the end of my cycle. I used the internet on my phone basically as my home WiFi. I even connected it to my PC and my Chromecast and had Plex tunneling thru my phone to the TV/Chromecast.

I noticed some slow speeds in crowded places at peak times (the local mall, Friday afternoon/evening.)

Apart from that, I was good.

CronoShot

I love their $30 prepaid plan (100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 5GB LTE), though they seemingly don't offer it anymore.

Only downer is that I can't buy phones on a payment plan, but the money I save monthly is worth it.

RobertM

I love their $30 prepaid plan (100 minutes talk, unlimited text, and 5GB LTE), though they seemingly don't offer it anymore.

Only downer is that I can't buy phones on a payment plan, but the money I save monthly is worth it.
Yep, same here. I use Viber and Skype for 1800 numbers and if I run out of minutes.

Particle Physicist

By the way, my previous Att plan had a 3GB limit. My wife who is stay at home would constantly hit or go near the limit. Surpassed it once. Since switching to t-mobile unlimited she had only used about 186mb so far. I always found it weird oven how she is basically always on wifi. Att was doing some shady stuff weren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom