• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm saying it doesn't negate the possibility that Kojima's team used footage from this reactor video to make the viral video. If it wasn't Kojima's team, someone sure went to a lot of trouble to troll with a fake video.

copyright infringement

Gerstmann weighs in.

Jeff Gerstmann's tumblr said:
Anonymous asked:Joakim Mogren, CG or a real dude?

It’s pretty clear from the cadence of the questions and answers that they were not recorded at the same time. The spots where the two speakers overlap sound forced and pre-planned. Keighley’s performance sounds pretty off to me, too. The delivery’s all wrong, doesn’t match his interview style.

Some of that could be explained away by it being edited for a short television segment, which can cause some awkward edit points, but… they’re usually better about that sort of stuff.

And yeah, that whole thing looks like a goofy bit of performance capture to me.

http://jeffgerstmann.tumblr.com/

moby_dick_games03k2g.gif

Anyone thinking this is CGI has to be trolling. There's just no way. But bravo to them and GTTV for coming up with an original idea to draw people in.

but the shadow on the neck! why does it spazz out like that!

and the way his eyes do the half-blink is weird, I cant do that without the rest of my eyes moving

Wallach

I said this when someone first brought it up on like page 5, but I'm pretty sure it's just the iPad he was holding. He probably hit the home button since he's pretending that he revealed something he wasn't meant to.

Gui_PT

and the way his eyes do the half-blink is weird, I cant do that without the rest of my eyes moving

If they want to present something realistic that'll fool people, why did they make those mistakes!!!

WHHYYYYY!!!!

CassSept

Just caught up. Amazing thread, would read again.

And seriously, what is wrong with some of you. You are crazy, loco, insane. This is so obviously CG!

#teamCG
QiBRRhl.png

Mariolee

I said this when someone first brought it up on like page 5, but I'm pretty sure it's just the iPad he was holding. He probably hit the home button since he's pretending that he revealed something he wasn't meant to.

Someone else stated it was the transition from video to .gif that messes with some colors.

Toparaman

Banned
So apparently a lot of TeamCGers only saw the badly compressed YouTube version when they picked their team.

Also, to the TeamCGers claiming that it's "odd" that Joakim and Geoff aren't in the same room: it's really not that odd. Everyone already knew Joakim Mogren isn't a real person, and that Moby Dick isn't a real developer, so why would the actor or Geoff travel just to do a 2-minute fake interview that everyone already knows is a joke?

NOOOO! IT'S A TRAP JEFF!

Jac_Solar

If they wanted to suggest they could make a realistic CG character they'd make him move and react perfectly.

Think about it. We want a realistic cg character, let's make him move like an idiot, that'll do
the trick.

But perfect motions would have given it away immediately. People don't move perfectly -- everybody moves slightly different. This way, it's slightly exaggerated, but it's far more likely that's due to the acting.

IMO no, because it doesn't affect his eyes, mouth area, skin etc, just the right side of the bandage. If he's CG, it seems like a glitch causing shadow on the bandage to actually disappear for a moment.

But instead of that, wouldn't it make more sense if there was a flicker to his left side? Or a flicker that reflected from an object somewhere else?

Suppose it is what you say it is -- how could a group of people that supposedly made a, basically, 100% realistic CG human being for the first time ever, not have noticed that and fixed it?

Sorian

Banned
Has to be a joke post.

If Joakim is CG, I will get someone to kick me in the balls.

I'm compiling every post like this.

So apparently a lot of TeamCGers only saw the badly compressed YouTube version when they picked their team.

Also, to the TeamCGers claiming that it's "odd" that Joakim and Geoff aren't in the same room: it's really not that odd. Everyone already knew Joakim Mogren isn't a real person, and that Moby Dick isn't a real developer, so why would the actor or Geoff travel just to do a 2-minute fake interview that everyone already knows is a joke?

NOOOO! IT'S A TRAP JEFF!

Actually first time I saw it was the HD stream on GT's website. Also, really? Geoff goes to game studios every week for what amounts to a 10 minute max interview after editing. This doesn't seem so hard to me.

Gui_PT

How so? There is no standard for "perfect motions". There's a standard of what seems normal, but not a perfect range of motions.

EDIT: Was in response to your pre-edit.

Yeah sorry, just didn't want to sound rude.

I still think it's stupid to try and make something realistic to fool people and then make so many mistakes.

This has to be real, my balls are on the line.

Toparaman

Banned

Actually first time I saw it was the HD stream on GT's website. Also, really? Geoff goes to game studios every week for what amounts to a 10 minute max interview after editing. This doesn't seem so hard to me.

But they're actual developers. Geoff's a gamer: you think he's gonna pass on a chance to visit game studios? Furthermore, a simple face-to-face interview isn't as interesting as getting to see the inner workings of a game studio, so GT would get less traffic and the game devs would get less publicity. Finally, this interview was not even 5 minutes, and was scripted. Non-scripted interviews tend to go better when both people are in the room, as you can make out facial expressions and mannerisms better.

This has to be real, my balls are on the line.

Comrade, all our balls are on the line.

Sorian

Banned
But they're actual developers. Geoff's a gamer: you think he's gonna pass on a chance to visit game studios? Furthermore, a simple face-to-face interview isn't as interesting as getting to see the inner workings of a game studio, so GT would get less traffic and the game devs would get less publicity.

Let's be honest for a second though. If this were real, would they really invite Geoff to a "hotel room?" They would have just done in the interview in a back room at the studio calling it a hotel room then Geoff could have visited with the studio afterwards.

daviyoung

Banned
haha what?

the character in the game is wearing bandages on his face, the dev giving the interview is wearing bandages on his face

this is just a marketing ploy, nothing CG about it

Let's be honest for a second though. If this were real, would they really invite Geoff to a "hotel room?" They would have just done in the interview in a back room at the studio calling it a hotel room then Geoff could have visited with the studio afterwards.

The "hotel room" was in Austin, TX. The "studio" is in Sweden.

Gui_PT

So naive.

Toparaman

Banned

Whoa, hold up. No one (I hope) is disputing that the interview is fake. (Did they even try to make the surroundings look like a hotel room?)

Let's get back to the central point: simply because the video is edited weird doesn't lend credence to the CG hypothesis. It's just a silly video that's part of a silly viral marketing campaign. No one spent a lot of time on this.

(That being said, I don't think it's impossible that Joakim is CG. Just improbable.)

Actually, blame /v/

Actually, the "studio" is in Japan ;) And why would I believe Geoff when he said the "hotel room" was in Texas?

I didn't make my point clear. You asked why did they do it in a hotel room instead of the studio. I was saying that in GT.TV's version of things the interview took place in Austin. SXSW gave them an excuse for Joakim and Geoff to be in the same place.

No one thinks there is a studio in Sweden and most people agree that Geoff and Joakim where never in the same room.

Sorian

Banned
Whoa, hold up. No one (I hope) is disputing that the interview is fake. (Did they even try to make the surroundings look like a hotel room?)

Let's get back to the central point: simply because the video is edited weird doesn't lend credence to the CG hypothesis. It's just a silly video that's part of a silly viral marketing campaign. No one spent a lot of time on this.

(That being said, I don't think it's impossible that Joakim is CG. Just improbable.)

The only reason I think it lends credence is because I see no other reason why this interview would have been pertinent. Seems like too much trouble just to name drop fox engine "accidently"

That's it! My next cosplay will be Joakim Mogren!

I expect to see a big increase of Joakims out and about.

I think the reason the interview seems off is what Jeff said, it's not at the same time. That or there is some extremely heavy editing because the guy couldn't get the act right or the expressions right so they had to do a lot of takes.
Either way it's still not CG, just terribly forced acting and some weird cuts. If a game could look like that in CG then why haven't movies gotten to that point in CG already where it looks 100% real? Not even stuff like Beowulf was that good looking and that was some impressive CG

Kyoufu

There was only one video camera in the room, so it was necessary to edit it together. it's that simple.

You know they've done interviews with single cameras where they're both in the same shot right?

They didn't show them together in the same shot ever. Very unusual format for Geoff.

Top Bottom