• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.
emily_phantom_painxzjy2.gif

Same mouth, without tight bandages. Confirmed fake.

Bedlam

But it's not real. It's a psychological thing that takes over. If you're in a situation where you recognize that a character is CG, you're going to be subconsciously looking for things wrong with it. If you were told that a real person was CG, you'd do the same thing.

The zombie/wire frame comparisons just make you feel creeped out because they're a type of body horror.
Of course it's a psychological phenomenon. Just because you can't find the uncanny valley on google maps doesn't mean it's not real.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
JM is an updated version of GW and will use this thread in the in-game plot as an example of why information needs to be censored on the Internet, give people freedom and they start to go insane.

People that play the game will think "no way would people get confused between a real person and cgi, Kojima has gone too far this time", then they'll google it and find out it's true.

Thats what I am talking about. Yep.

Find it very odd that GAF will blow their top about Dorritos Gate but in this instance where a journo and a game developer are so very clearly working together to promote a game, there's more talk about who the guy is than the motivation behind this.

Just tell us about the game, I don't need the shenanigans and the faux journalism.

Find it very odd that GAF will blow their top about Dorritos Gate but in this instance where a journo and a game developer are so very clearly working together to promote a game, there's more talk about who the guy is than the motivation behind this.

This has always been what GTTV is, there's less information in here than a normal GTTV segment, but there really is no sense of "journalism" in any episode of GTTV, really.

Just tell us about the game, I don't need the shenanigans and the faux journalism.

It's Keighley. Everyone knows hes a hype man. Doritos gate wasn't really about him by the way.

537535_489124037810080_152337763_n.png

Just to add to the confusion the cover of EDGE magazine really wants to fuck with us too.

fox-610x343.jpg

On the cover, though, we feature Konami’s astonishing new facial rendering technology, highlighting our lead article on the company’s vision for the next Pro-Evolution Soccer.

He's covering evertyhing on his face except his mouth and eyes for a reason. The muscle movement being covered are the hardest to replicate.

I've seen some next-gen characters where I work and we're getting there so I wouldn't be surprised. Exciting times! :D

I 100% believe this is true. The separate frames, the dark background. The bandages probably let them put more detail in the parts of the face that are visible. If I had to guess, the wide shot of him that Geoff tweeted might be a real actor. I'm totally sold on the theory that the interview version was Fox Engine, though.

Of course it's a psychological phenomenon. Just because you can't find the uncanny valley on google maps doesn't mean it's not real.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/robots/4343054

The original uncanny valley theory is complete pseudoscience. Fake. We have convinced ourselves there is some truth to it and because the first thing everyone thinks of when they see CG and robots is "uncanny valley", it alters our expectations.

More study needs to be done about it. There might be some slight truth to it, and CG is only just approaching the point where we aren't easily able to distinguish it from the real thing. But citing "uncanny valley" as a reason why you think something looms bad is ridiculous and unhelpful, and unscientific. Can you map creepiness on an absolute graph? No, because creepy varies from person to person. But if multiple people say something is creepy, or you're put into a situation where you expect to see creepiness, their opinions will be likely to affect yours.

It's a colossal waste of time.

Edit: here, an example of what I think is going on. You ever see a horror movie, and come home alone, in the dark? You feel a bit creeped out, and you pay close attention to every shadow, making sure nothing's going to jump out and get you. It's different from if you just went home normally, because the movie has altered your expectations. Similar effect.

Bedlam

This was never journalism to begin with. Nothing on Keighley's show is. Because of that and the fun angle, I'm okay with it.

Perhaps...everyone is CG rendered by the Fox Engine.

Judging by the silent hill HD collections, they already managed to travel into the future to create the original versions of silent hill 2 and 3. Not too much of a stretch to suggest that we are also future konami work too.

marrec

Banned
Judging by the silent hill HD collections, they already managed to travel into the future to create the original versions of silent hill 2 and 3. Not too much of a stretch to suggest that we are also future konami work too.

Please, that's a crock of shit.

As I already said, we're actually algorithms in Konami's next gen AI code. We've been created to come up with dynamic story and dialog.

Did you ever have a dream and then about a week later it actually happened to you?

That's called a buffer overflow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Perhaps...everyone is CG rendered by the Fox Engine.

Now arent we fast? We already found out that we are all rendered by the Fox engine pages ago. You should ask someone to finetune or replace your out of date reaction circuit.

BearPawB

Banned
You can see individual strands of hair popping out of the bandages when he moves his head down.

No way this is CG... yall are delusional

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
We were CG all along. That's going to be the big reveal, right? This entire world we've preceived has been Kojima's matrix from day one.

I 100% believe this is true. The separate frames, the dark background. The bandages probably let them put more detail in the parts of the face that are visible. If I had to guess, the wide shot of him that Geoff tweeted might be a real actor. I'm totally sold on the theory that the interview version was Fox Engine, though.

I still think the neck looks way too realistic to be CG! If it turns out to be CG...consider me mindblown!

Why did they make the textures for his face (left side) so clean? The right side (photograph) it's not. I mean you can tell which side is CG just from the texture work instead of the rendering capabilities, no?
The right side is actually a photo? The left looks kind of low poly, you can see edges on his ears. It looks like a very quick render. Maybe the right is a more high quality render? (my logical side is telling me that's highly unlikely).

Edit: and the wire frame over it is messing with my perception. Maybe it's a gradient or something. The chin looks better than the top. Eh.
You can see individual strands of hair popping out of the bandages when he moves his head down.

No way this is CG... yall are delusional
All I saw were tufts of hair, but I didn't get to watch in very high quality.

GAMERG0D

I can believe this.

Hermii

If this is CGI, woudnt that cost half a fortune to render ? And how much would it cost to hire a bad actor to do it ?

I dont think it would be worth it just for the PR value of revealing it a few weeks later. But it is suspicious I have to admit.

i-Lo

People who think that the actor playing Joakim was CG need to get their eyes checked. The one prime reason why some may feel that he is a CG character may have to do with the black t-shirt he was wearing, essentially making him look a floating head from time to time.

One can tell that it isn't CG by seeing that numerous little random twitches and movements on his face and of his head respectively. To this day, even in movie CGs, this constant twitches/little jerks that encompasses all primary movements have not been properly replicated.

Violater

Nope not drinking the cool aid with you guys.
Will watch the presentation at GDC but all this stuff is clown shoes at the moment.

pause the youtube video at like 1:49 and look at the left. You can see a strand of hair sticking straight up
Ah, I see it. I think that's more than a strand, though. (and it was there for the whole video.) Quick, someone run a follicle analysis!

Haha, is anyone else seeing that weird dimple in his bandages on that side of his face, though? Like the weird snake scar comparison pictures.

Top Bottom