• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. RHC

537535_489124037810080_152337763_n.png

Just to add to the confusion the cover of EDGE magazine really wants to fuck with us too.

fox-610x343.jpg

All of this sounds very promising, good (confusing?) times ahead.

remz

The bandages would be a good way of reducing some of the uncannyness if it is CG. You can't get weirded out by the semi realness as bad if half the face is stuck behind some wraps.

You can see individual strands of hair popping out of the bandages when he moves his head down.

No way this is CG... yall are delusional

Circumstantial evidence is circumstantial, but it does pile up rather quickly:
a) multiple examples in this thread of incredible real-time face rendering
b) kojima's recent push to show the photorealism of the fox engine, including facial rendering
c) as I mentioned above, the dark, empty background and bandages would reduce the processing power needed to render such detail in the few exposed facial parts
d) keighley and mogren never in the same frame
e) the obvious mystery / fakery around mogren
f) Kojima

I'm enough of a lurker that no one will probably care if I stake a claim here, but I would not be surprised if this is not only a demo of Fox Engine, and that the whole "what is real/generated" thing will tie into MGS5 as a theme much like gene/meme/scene in the previous games.

While not strictly CG related, this is a theme that's been going around a lot in film lately. See Joaquin Phoenix's I'm Still Here, Exit Through the Gift Shop, and Certified Copy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kojima exploring this theme while promoting the technological leap of his new engine.

BearPawB

Banned
b) kojima's recent push to show the photorealism of the fox engine, including facial rendering
c) as I mentioned above, the dark, empty background and bandages would reduce the processing power needed to render such detail in the few exposed facial parts
f) Kojima

I'm enough of a lurker that no one will probably care if I stake a claim here, but I feel confident that this is not only a demo of Fox Engine, but that the whole "what is real/generated" thing will tie into MGS5 as a theme much like gene/meme/scene in the previous games.

While not strictly CG related, this is a theme that's been going around a lot in film lately. See Joaquin Phoenix's I'm Still Here, Exit Through the Gift Shop, and Certified Copy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kojima exploring this theme while promoting the technological leap of his new engine.

I will add you to my list of people to publicly shame ;)

of course if I am wrong, then the same could be said of me

Ocaso

People who think that the actor playing Joakim was CG need to get their eyes checked. The one prime reason why some may feel that he is a CG character may have to do with the black t-shirt he was wearing, essentially making him look a floating head from time to time.

One can tell that it isn't CG by seeing that numerous little random twitches and movements on his face and of his head respectively. To this day, even in movie CGs, this constant twitches/little jerks that encompasses all primary movements have not been properly replicated.

Not saying I believe he's CG, but if they're using a video capture system similar to that of LA Noire's and the video posted above, there's nothing to stop them from capturing all those nuances.

And hey, the crazy-town express is a hell of a ride!

BearPawB

Banned
1u9zye.png

This doesn't look like real hair to me.

?? how does that not look like real hair.

Hair is the hardest thing to do. NO game gets hair to look good. We know kojima has good face tech, but we haven't heard anything about hairtech.

Even tressfx looks terribly unreal.

That is clearly real hair. Why would they bother to animate a single strand?

People need to stop mentioning Mogren and Keighley never being in the same frame as evidence, it's a pretty common practice.
Even when he's handing him the ipad? It's extremely awkward, you can't even tell who is holding it.

Hair is the hardest thing to do. NO game gets hair to look good. We know kojima has good face tech, but we haven't heard anything about hairtech.

The thing with hair, is it's hard to animate realistically. However, his hair never moves, it's completely still. Even that one strand, from what I can tell.

Atomski

I think Geoff is CG.

Anyways in all seriousness the part where hes showing stuff on the Ipad. His hand is clearly not CG. I think the guy just has weird facial skin and acts awkward.

Ocaso

I think Geoff is CG.

Anyways in all seriousness the part where hes showing stuff on the Ipad. His hand is clearly not CG. I think the guy just has weird facial skin and acts awkward.

Given that the camera doesn't pan but rather cuts away to the iPad, the hand not being CG is irrelevant.

And things like this are why I love the internet! :D Well I'm leaning towards "it's not CGI" though I'm absolutely not sure so I will watch this unfold :p I kind of reminds me of my teenage times where the PSP still had a surprise by homebrew developers every day anew and people found all kinds of hidden things in Windows Vista/Longhorn. Nowadays I feel many people don't care about nice uncoverings so a bit Kojima craziness is always welcome!

i-Lo

What this render (on the left for people who are can not make the distinction between real life and CG) needs is silhouette tessellation and a touch more skin related imperfection. But, my goodness that looks stupendous. If that becomes the standard for next gen faces thanks to Fox Engine, then Kojima would be sending more fans to psych ward.

f) Kojima

I'm enough of a lurker that no one will probably care if I stake a claim here, but I would not be surprised if this is not only a demo of Fox Engine, and that the whole "what is real/generated" thing will tie into MGS5 as a theme much like gene/meme/scene in the previous games.

I..I... I... SMH, OMG, such blindly uber hyper ultra max optimistic individuals.

Vire

U1CxAHa.png

The way his eye bulge does not look natural. The way the skin conforms around the eyes when he makes that expression makes me think there's something to this all.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Kojima likes to mislead people Why would they show a bunch of hair? makes no sense or do you think the guys who bandaged him got lazy? I'm really not sure dude.

Makai

Ultimately this all boils down to:
Either Kojima has the power to make you think people in youtube videos are CGI or there's something up with that dude.

i-Lo

Guys, you can't be serious in believing this is CG.

People here are trying to make it sound like Fox News, giving all rumours an equal chance regardless how ridiculous the other side of the argument may be.

I guess I expected a bit more from GAFfers but this is crazy town now.

U1CxAHa.png

The way his eye bulge does not look natural. The way the skin conforms around the eyes when he makes that expression makes me think there's something to this all.

In this image you can see the mic.

It'd be funny if he was a CGI character who'll be presenting Fox engine in GDC. But I doubt it, I think he's just a guy.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
not saying its cg, but i have never seen eyes that pure white, with no red in the corners.

We already know both are CG. Geoffs eyes are even more white!

Wi2jWId.png

Santar

Kojima's got to be overjoyed, his simple fun little plan of dressing up a guy as that bandaged guy from the trailer pretending to be Mogren payed off beyond his wildest dreams!

Ocaso

Guys, you can't be serious in believing this is CG.

The problem is that this video seems so pointless, that the ultimate conclusion is that it must have some greater purpose. Something like what's being speculated is a perfect Kojima-like troll. Epic.

B-Dex

The facebook page says he is an American that defected to Sweden to make photorealistic games.

Why would he even have an accent?

BearPawB

Banned
Kojima likes to mislead people Why would they show a bunch of hair? makes no sense or do you think the guys who bandaged him got lazy? I'm really not sure dude.

because the guy bandaged his head, knowing his face was facing the camera, maybe didn't realize you could see his hair sticking out. Maybe it was a quickly put together PR stunt.

Why would an animater animate hair? Why not just make the bandages go around the whole head perfectly? would be a whole lot easier.

I think one of those options sounds much more likely.

The problem is that this video seems so pointless, that the ultimate conclusion is that it must have some greater purpose. Something like what's being speculated is a perfect Kojima-like troll. Epic.

hype is never pointless

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You have to hand it to Kojima, this is a brilliant angle.

In the end it doesn't matter whether the Mogren being interviewed by Keighley is real or CG, what matters is that its being talked about as a possibility.

Atomski

Given that the camera doesn't pan but rather cuts away to the iPad, the hand not being CG is irrelevant.

If thats the case then its cheap, just show off the face but then clearly give away the fact they cant make good looking CG hands. Cover that up by jumping to a shot of real hands? Meh not buying it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What if some of the cuts are CG and some are the real actor, furthering the A/B thing seen in early Fox Engine press shots???

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That's the same eye.

OMG Geoff was interviewing HIMSELF confirmed.

They even used the same CG and AI model? The Kojima AI is such a cheapskate model.

diamount

Banned

It's just free marketing. Get the gullible fools to believe this, and spread it around. Who needs marketing?

If thats the case then its cheap, just show off the face but then clearly give away the fact they cant make good looking CG hands. Cover that up by jumping to a shot of real hands? Meh not buying it.

I think the trick is more making CG hands control an ipad

because the guy bandaged his head, knowing his face was facing the camera, maybe didn't realize you could see his hair sticking out. Maybe it was a quickly put together PR stunt.

Why would an animater animate hair? Why not just make the bandages go around the whole head perfectly? would be a whole lot easier.

I think one of those options sounds much more likely.

hype is never pointless
In the trailer, the snake lookalike's hair is sticking out in almost exactly the same places.

No.

59 pages of people convinced there was an HL3 ARG going on.
That's just desperation from the Half-Life fanbase, and given how obtuse Valve ARGs get trying to draw blood from a stone seems normal.

This has people questioning reality and looking for tells of real or CG in frame analysis because of some 4chan post. Shit's amusing as hell to wake up to.

CassSept

So this is the Carnival of Stupid '13?

This is more entertaining than most of the games released this decade. Loving it.

Bedlam

No chance. No consumer level hardware has the juice to power something like that in real-time.
No one said that it's necessarily real-time or part of a game. It might just show the rendering capabilities of the engine.

disclaimer: I'm still not completely on-board with the theory

Top Bottom