• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kageshinzo said:
What I find funny is that people are congratulating Kojima for this supposed CG stunt when in fact, this whole thing started as just speculation from /v/. I doubt Kojima even knew people are discussing this interview in this angle.

I think it fits a little too neatly with what we know about how Kojima is hyping Fox Engine and the MGS franchise to be coincidental I think.

You have a clearly fake director disguised as one of the photo-realistic characters from Phantom Pain/MGS5 hyping the Fox engine on GT.com and we're not supposed to speculate?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Phantom-Pain-Screen-1.jpg

Phantom-Pain-Screen-2.jpg

That FOX Engine logo.

Clearly CG.

There's a reason this caught on. ;)

I can't think of another time in history when people debated whether a guy in a normal interview was CG.
That was hardly a normal interview. It was clearly staged, and the FOX engine reveal was obviously planned, with Geoff in on the joke. That much isn't really up for debate.
Guys I think that rice is CGI.

I'm analyzing the different whites as we speak, I need more time.

i6SCrLVNwL3tc.png
YES. THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, I've read the OP, and skimmed the last page of this thread, and I must say that I'm kind of disappointed in a lot of you. I'd have never thought that you would fall for such an ob/v/ious troll, but I guess you lot who think Joakim* was CG really do want to "believe" in the next gen**.

Well, have fun with that. I'm sure it'll be most fruitful. For Konami.

*So obviously not his real name, btw. I'll give you that.

**The Phantom Pain is for current-gen machines, by the way.

Stet

Banned
Ha ha if this was true, why would they not just announce that it was CG at the end of the interview to blow peoples' minds?

thabiz

Ha ha if this was true, why would they not just announce that it was CG at the end of the interview to blow peoples' minds?

then there wouldnt be weeks of people talking about the fox engine. extremely well done marketing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Guys I think that rice is CGI.

I'm analyzing the different whites as we speak, I need more time.

i6SCrLVNwL3tc.png

Rice needs a different curve type. Curve analysis wont get you far with the granular-like structure of rice.

Takuya

Banned
The problem is that this video seems so pointless, that the ultimate conclusion is that it must have some greater purpose. Something like what's being speculated is a perfect Kojima-like troll. Epic.

Yup, if all of Geoff's questions will be answered at GDC; Imagine the following scenario.

Is it a next-generation game?
This is a next-generation game.

Can you confirm you have development kits for next-generation systems?
We do.

Is this a PlayStation 4 game?
Yes, and I'm running on PlayStation 4.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

No more secrets after GDC, everything will be revealed there.

I briefly watched the video earlier today and thought something was seriously wrong with the guy, lol. So now we have

- Konami showcasing a supposedly revolutionary face mapping/animating engine to EDGE
- This obviously fake persona/developer that Kojima made up taking the spotlight

I think that he is CG. The person may exist of course, but I think Kojima is playing one of his pranks (coincidentally he mentioned so in his latest interview right? That he desires to surprise players and fans in any possible way) - the bandages, the weird way he talks and looks.

The guy is wearing a black t-shirt, has bandages all over his face and his facial expressions kind have that "practically photoreal" to me. I'm pretty sure that the Kojima team could achieve such a result, in such strictly controlled conditions of course, with their renowned attention to detail. And the interview might have been recorded some time ago, of course.

If the guy is real, well, well played :-D

Because he is saving that for his upcoming GDC presentation...on photo-realistic face graphics.

We will of course just sit back smugly already having seen and recognised it.

I briefly watched the video earlier today and thought something was seriously wrong with the guy, lol. So now we have

- Konami showcasing a supposedly revolutionary face mapping/animating engine to EDGE
- This obviously fake persona/developer that Kojima made up taking the spotlight

I think that he is CG. The person may exist of course, but I think Kojima is playing one of his pranks (coincidentally he mentioned so in his latest interview right? That he desires to surprise players and fans in any possible way) - the bandages, the weird way he talks and looks.

The guy is wearing a black t-shirt, has bandages all over his face and his facial expressions kind have that "practically photoreal" to me. I'm pretty sure that the Kojima team could achieve such a result, in such strictly controlled conditions of course, with their renowned attention to detail. And the interview might have been recorded some time ago, of course.

If the guy is real, well, well played :-D

confirmedwbk4s.gif

Dantard

Neo Member
Yes. That's exactly what the people mean when the topic of discussion is whether or not he is CG or real and is rendered using the FOX Engine that can't even do the Kojima offices life-like.

Everyone means the person Joakim Mogren is an actual person and is head of developer Moby Dick Studios which is not recognized as a company in Sweden.

Wow you're daft.

I'm saying it wouldn't be a stretch (like some people are saying) to think they'd go as far as to create a made-up CG interviewee, since they'd already created a made-up persona...

(also, nice of you to ignore my other, far more relevant, points)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That guy was real IMO. Everyone looks a bit fake on greenscreen. It is however not impossible today to produce near photoreal people in realtime. Remember that ATI demo of a girl's face superimposed on a real body? That's 3 years old now and looked near photoreal in itself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqITvIulcCM#t=4m58s

Preparations required for this kind of thing are pretty extensive though.

Ruze789

This thread, it is too great. And that Joakim Mogren seems like a real cool guy.

I'm always interested in what Kojima's got up his sleeve, this one is way up there.

velociraptor

This thread... THIS THREAD.

I fail to understand how some of you have come to the conclusion that the interview was in CG.

It looks blaringly obvious it was a real person.

Besides, it's more cost effective and time effective to hire an actor instead of spending weeks and hundreds and thousands of pounds animating, modelling and texturing a face to perfection.

There is nothing about the video which screams CG.

Rapstah

Okay, this is insane and probably a coincidence, but "Joakim Mogren" is an anagram of "Gen Orm Kojima", which is Swedish for "Gene Snake Kojima". It's just the separate words, not "Kojima the Gene-Snake" or anything like that, but specifically those two words are funny to find there.

I'm damn sure at GDC Kojima and Co. will reveal what The Phantom Pain is.
Probably, but I'd be surprised if they answered "all the questions".

I fail to understand how some of you have come to the conclusion that the interview was in CG.

Besides, it's more cost effective and time effective to hire an actor instead of spending weeks and hundreds and thousands of pounds animating, modelling and texturing a face to perfection.

Kojima has been posting about his photorealistic engine for MONTHS, and you don't think it's possible he'd try to pull a stunt like this?

Well like I said before I think it's not CG though that's exactly the point, the FOX Engine might and I say _might_ have reached level where nothing will scream CG anymore since it's that good :p

Bedlam

Not if you want to show off an engine that you have a GDC talk about two weeks later.

Toma

Okay, this is insane and probably a coincidence, but "Joakim Mogren" is an anagram of "Gen Orm Kojima", which is Swedish for "Gene Snake Kojima". It's just the separate words, not "Kojima the Gene-Snake" or anything like that, but specifically those two words are funny to find there.

Rapstah Joakim Mogren.
Kojima Mantras Gopher.

velociraptor

Probably, but I'd be surprised if they answered "all the questions".

Kojima has been posting about his photorealistic engine for MONTHS, and you don't think it's possible he'd try to pull a stunt like this?

We_need_to_go_derper.jpg

I have watched the video five times. The animation is too life like. Look at the bandages, the transparancy, the fidelity of the face, the lighting, the 'textures'. Either it's real life, or it is space magic.

Nitroid

Neo Member
While I don't believe that this is CG, the implications of it being so are fascinating.

As a number of people have commented, high quality CG projects are both time consuming and very expensive. If Kojima Productions is capable of putting together something of this quality for such a small-scale segment of video, then it means that the FOX engine development tools are capable of rapid prototyping photorealistic imagery. It means that a new Metal Gear title isn't the product they're trying to sell here; it's the software behind it.

A development suite capable of churning out this high caliber of a product in a short amount of time would be an invaluable tool in the entertainment industry. Just about every special effects company would be banging at their door to license it. It's a much more lucrative, long term investment than just making Yet Another Metal Gear Game.

Stet

Banned
Not if you want to show off an engine that you have a GDC talk about two weeks later.

The end result is the same regardless. This is a marketing effort, and getting people talking is the goal. People are talking whether it's CG or not.

I think you're all giving them too much credit, it's much more likely that they hired an actor to play a persona because they wanted people speculating who he was and why it relates to the game.

It's also clearly real life.

Top Bottom