• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.
We_need_to_go_derper.jpg
Quick, analyze the whites of his eyes, too!

Seriously, I've posted well constructed arguments on the last few pages as to why this is possible. He's already put a ton of misdirection into the video. But you can just post "haha ur dum" memes, that's cool too.

joeblow

I believe I figured it out:

- Joakim Mogren suspected to be CGI
- CGI characters are rendered with triangles
- Tortillia strips from Frito-Lay are triangles
- Joakim Mogren was created with Doritos (tm)
- Geoff Keighley has been caught destroying journalism for a buck once again

BibiMaghoo

Interviewing has changed. ID tagged Mogrens carry ID tagged screenshots, use ID tagged bandages. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their answers. Game control. Information control. Emotion control. Metal Gear control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Interviewing.. has changed.

I do not believe that dude is CGI lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I believe I figured it out:

- Mogren suspected to be CGI
- CGI characters are rendered with triangles
- Tortillia strips from Frito-Lay are triangles
- Mogren was created wih Doritos (tm)

Doritos are CG too and come from the same engine we do.

velociraptor

Quick, analyze the whites of his eyes, too!

Seriously, I've posted well constructed arguments on the last few pages as to why this is possible. He's already put a ton of misdirection into the video. But you can just post "haha ur dum" memes, that's cool too.
I have watched the video five times. The animation is too life like. Look at the bandages, the transparancy, the fidelity of the face, the lighting, the 'textures'. Either it's real life, or it is space magic.

To date, no CG has looked even close to real life facial footage in my eyes. If this segment truly is CG, then I'll eat a hat.

Bedlam

The end result is the same regardless. This is a marketing effort, and getting people talking is the goal. People are talking whether it's CG or not.
It's not the same whether you start a presentation about your new engine with "the guy who everyone believed to be CG? Nope, can't do that with our engine" or "Yep, we pre-rendered that guy, let me show you how...".

Stet

Banned
It's not the same whether you start a presentation about your new engine with "the guy who everyone believed to be CG? Nope, can't do that with our engine" or "Yep, we pre-rendered that guy".

Honestly? I don't think they expected people to believe he was CG. I think they hired an actor to start speculation about this mysterious game and the mysterious person behind it. This CG thing probably ruined their big reveal of HE DOESN'T EXIST HE'S ACTUALLY PART OF THE GAME ITSELF.

So good going. You ruined their plans.

I have watched the video five times. The animation is too life like. Look at the bandages, the transparancy, the fidelity of the face, the lighting, the 'textures'. Either it's real life, or it is space magic.

To date, no CG has looked even close to real life facial footage in my eyes. If this segment truly is CG, then I'll eat a hat.
Morgen is already a fake developer, his face and hair are bandaged, drawing attention away from how his face might look, he is sitting in front of a green screen, he has a funny accent, the entire interview is staged. Him being CG is not a big logical leap with Kojima's engine.

I'm not saying "I know this is CG", just that it's difficult to say "I know this isn't cg" given the evidence.

And when's the last time you saw realistic CG in a situation where you weren't expecting it?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Right, I've read the OP, and skimmed the last page of this thread, and I must say that I'm kind of disappointed in a lot of you. I'd have never thought that you wouldnt belie/v/e , but I guess you lot who think Joakim* wasnt CG really dont want to "believe" in the next gen**.

Well, have fun with that. I'm sure it'll be most fruitful. For Konami.

*So obviously not his real name, btw.

**The Phantom Pain is for Vita+PS4 crossbuy, btw.

Bedlam

Honestly? I don't think they expected people to believe he was CG. I think they hired an actor to start speculation about this mysterious game and the mysterious person behind it. This CG thing probably ruined their big reveal of HE DOESN'T EXIST HE'S ACTUALLY PART OF THE GAME ITSELF.

So good going. You ruined their plans.
That would be a pretty lackluster reveal because we've already seen that guy in the Phantom Pain trailer.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Honestly I have no idea if this guy is real or CG now. I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the reveal, and no matter what, the response on GAF is going to be hilarious.

marrec

Banned
Well, that would be the point, wouldn't it, lol.If they didn't think they could full people with their stuff, they wouldn't bother trying.

Good thing we have the sharp eyes and minds of GAF to catch them in their trickery.

They're probably hiring those CG actors for pennies on the dollar compared to SAG card holders.

marrec

Banned
Oh man. I thought GAF was a lot smarter than this. This is one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed.

Kojima is like the abusive boyfriend of GAF. We know what happens when we get all excited about getting back together with him and we usually just end up with a black eye and a bunch of pictures we regret later.

But we keep comin' back.

Kojima = #TeamBreezy is what I'm saying.

Makai

This thread... THIS THREAD.

I fail to understand how some of you have come to the conclusion that the interview was in CG.

It looks blaringly obvious it was a real person.

Besides, it's more cost effective and time effective to hire an actor instead of spending weeks and hundreds and thousands of pounds animating, modelling and texturing a face to perfection.

There is nothing about the video which screams CG.
They didn't do it to save money. They did it to hype their graphics technology.

Salacious Crumb

Morgen is already a fake developer, his face and hair are bandaged, drawing attention away from how his face might look, he is sitting in front of a green screen, he has a funny accent, the entire interview is staged. Him being CG is not a big logical leap with Kojima's engine.

I'm not saying "I know this is CG", just that it's difficult to say "I know this isn't cg" given the evidence.

And when's the last time you saw realistic CG in a situation where you weren't expecting it?

I'm pretty sure I've never been fooled by any CG, especially after someone says it's CG.

If this is CG (it isn't), Kojima should be selling this tech to Hollywood for huge money, not using it in some silly interview thing.

Az

I am open to it being CG (or at least tampered with) and leaning towards it, which would be a crazy feat. We'll find out soon.
Have no problem eating crow later.

Persona86

Banned
cyHls3L.gif

Interesting, if you look at the shadow on his neck under the jaw on the right side, it looks very strange, also he does seem to have that Fox Engine smoothness. If this is CG OMG.....

It is interesting that the whole video felt like Geoff was talking as if nobody was really there, even the room the guy is in seems different, maybe they sent him the video and he made up questions?

I posted this in another thread. Could it be possible that a Green screen could cause that shadow effect?

Even if he's not CG, I don't think Geoff was actually talking to him, the whole interview seemed strange, as if Geoff was talking to himself, plus you never see them in the same shot and the lighting was different for Geoff and Morgen.

Daedardus

I swear this thread destroys sarcasm detection devices of Gaffers all around the world.

If that wasn't obvious from the PSVita Crossbuy ;)

But what if he really is a walking CG human, artificially created by alien tech, who also have brainwashed Kojima? And everyone who plays this game will be sucked into a vortex to experience torture by the aliens.

Persona86

Banned
Kojima is like the abusive boyfriend of GAF. We know what happens when we get all excited about getting back together with him and we usually just end up with a black eye and a bunch of pictures we regret later.

But we keep comin' back.

Kojima = #TeamBreezy is what I'm saying.
I'd say Square-Enix is the biggest abusive boyfriend around town.

Toma

Is there a summary of the interview anywhere? I can't watch the video right now.

Not much in there really.

Is the game for PS4? - We cant tell you!
Do you have a devkit for next gen? - We cant tell you!
When will you answer the questions? - GDC!

Done.

Xater

Do you have a devkit for PS4? - We cant tell you!

Done.

The second question actually was if they have next gen dev kits.

Persona86

Banned
Is there a summary of the interview anywhere? I can't watch the video right now.

It's quite short, he basically doesn't answer anything except say that all secrets will be revealed at GDC, but Geoff does spot a Fox Engine watermark on one of the pictures, causing that face expression reaction GIF your seeing above.

Takuya

Banned

Do you have a devkit for PS4? - We cant tell you!

Done.

"Is this a next-generation game?" - Can't tell you

"Is this a PlayStation 4 game?" - Can't tell you

"Do you have next-generation development kits?" - Can't tell you

"...." - All you questions will be answered at GDC.

"There will be no more secrets after GDC? - Yes"

If announced as a Next-Generation game, and a PlayStation 4 game at GDC, then it is a defacto PS4 exclusive until the next-Xbox is revealed, in which case people will have to wait for confirmation of the game being that platform as well.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

"Is this a next gen game"
"sorry can't say"
"do you have ps4 dev kits"
"sorry can't say"
"is t-"
"sorry can't say. but here are some new screenshots on my ipad"
"cool. is that a fox engine logo?"
":0!!!!"

but Geoff does spot a Fox Engine watermark on one of the pictures

It's on all of the pictures.

MMaRsu

Banned

here's my summary

-Geoff asks questions if they are developing for next gen
-Geoff asks if this is like an MGS game
-Geoff asks if they have anything to show
-Geoff gets shown some art and screens from an iPad the guy brought with him. Fox logo in the gameplay screenshots.
-Geoff asks so this is FOX ENGINE right?
-Joakim gasps
-All questions will be answered at GDC ( no questions answered during interview )

AND OFCOURSE THIS GUY AINT CG WTF GUYS Y'ALL DUMB OR WHAT

Makai

I'm pretty sure I've never been fooled by any CG, especially after someone says it's CG.
You can't know if you've never been fooled because you wouldn't be fooled if you knew. :p

I was impressed to learn that the countdown clock in the hatch from LOST was always CGI. And that was from 2005! Granted, mechanical things are easier to animate believably.

Top Bottom