• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

old news? Tomb Raider Underground is 576p on ___ and 720p on ___

Piano

Banned
Gbeav said:
Well I thought that art and textures and whatever else needs more space going to HD. Are you saying we should be still using CD's?
Storage space affects how many high resolution textures can fit into a game, but it has nothing to do with whether the system can run a game at a certain resolution or not. So the texture comparison may be tied to DVD vs Blu-Ray space, but the resolution the game runs at is not.

For instance, if I slapped a DVD drive onto an N64, it wouldn't magically make the N64 able to do 720p. It's the same reason why the Sega CD sucked - it's not as if the cartridges were holding back the capabilities of the Genesis with their limited space and the add-on didn't up the power of the system at all.

And I honestly couldn't even see a difference in the textures until cylix's close up comparison on page 2. It's not a huge difference, guys - the 360 is a bit smoother (well, blurrier) and the PS3 is a bit sharper. Big whoop.

DemonSwordsman said:
:lol Yeah Fight the good fight.
I find it funny that I've said nothing inflammatory yet you've already gone into hyper-defensive trying to spin me as an xbot. I think that says more about you 'fighting the good fight' for the Sony Defense Force than anything else. Cool it.

Quote: Posted by Nameless
The shadowing on the PS3 title is actually well done; not on the level of Uncharted, but that's the best dynamic shadows done on a console game to date. I heard a rumor that the 360 had motion blur & the PS3/PC version did not receive this feature.

Only the PC version did not. People assume the PS3 doesn't because the president is dead and lack of DLC is Oswald. But rather than entertain the possibility that Oswald is alone, they look for shadowy figures on the grassy knoll instead.

The simple reason why the PC does not have it is because Windows APIs like DirectX are meant to be hardware-agnostic. This means that shaders are limited specifically to DirectX x.x spec, which may be well below the actual hardware spec of the GPU itself. Things like the number of registers and shader instructions and texture ops you're limited to is always minimum spec, so you have to look for ways to fit into it. Consoles don't have this issue because they're fixed hardware, so the API is spec'ed to the hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
The game looks stunning on the PS3 the lighting & textures are well done. The textures are very good considering the game does not require a HDD install.

I think that's also a given considering that it is multiplatform and one of the platforms is not guaranteed to have a hard drive, so that sort of thing became a concern for us. Disc space limitations of only around 6.8 GB on a 360 DVD only became an issue for a grand total of two days towards the end of the project. The strangest thing, though, was just how often we were hitting memory capacity limitations on 360 and NOT on PS3. That still has people scratching their heads.

the full quote

Cloud

commariodore64 said:
The PS3 has higher rez, less stable framerate on a mediocre title and now the 'tides have turned'!

Missing shadows? Check.
Missing self shadowing. Check
Lower rez textures. Check.
Draw distance discrepancies (and lack of true transparency). Check.

So, what's the multiplat score now? ;)

I knew I recognized your username from somewhere. You're that 360 fanboy that has meltdowns when the feels that the reputation of his favorite console is threatened. :lol :lol

deepbrown

AgentOtaku said:
Oh dear. That's not what the CD dev said on the b3d forums, when he defended the choice for sub-HD.

Talk of PS3's OS taking up memory...then again he said tiling on the 360 was a negative.

Doc Evils

Cloud said:
I knew I recognized your username from somewhere. You're that 360 fanboy that has meltdowns when the feels that the reputation of his favorite console is threatened. :lol :lol

I think that's also a given considering that it is multiplatform and one of the platforms is not guaranteed to have a hard drive, so that sort of thing became a concern for us. Disc space limitations of only around 6.8 GB on a 360 DVD only became an issue for a grand total of two days towards the end of the project. The strangest thing, though, was just how often we were hitting memory capacity limitations on 360 and NOT on PS3. That still has people scratching their heads.

I wonder fucking why.

NOT LIKE THEY REMOVED LEVELS.

PSGames

deepbrown said:
Oh dear. That's not what the CD dev said on the b3d forums, when he defended the choice for sub-HD.

Talk of PS3's OS taking up memory...then again he said tiling on the 360 was a negative.

Do you have any qoutes? This could get interesting :lol

Gbeav

Banned
deepbrown said:

He said the ps3 version is not 720p? And the story evolves again!
:lol

bj00rn_

Banned
AgentOtaku said:

The thing I don't understand is how these developers have all these problem with memory, resolution, AA and whatnots when games like Gears of War 2 solves all of these problems and still looks better. It's weird.

Gbeav

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
The thing I don't understand is how these developers have all these problem with memory, resolution, AA and whatnots when games like Gears of War 2 solves all of these problems and still looks better. It's weird.

Not everyone is good at what your job is.

Threi

notag
RavenFox said:
Its called hiding true intent but if I'm wrong I apologize.
I thought my true intent was pretty clear: its a stupid topic and i make jokes about said stupid topic.

oh well.

deepbrown

Gbeav said:
He said the ps3 version is not 720p? And the story evolves again!
That was the implication at least...but he never actually said. Remember CD was only developing the 360 version, so maybe he thought it would be the same on ps3.

Gbeav

Banned
deepbrown said:
That was the implication at least...but he never actually said. Remember CD was only developing the 360 version, so maybe he thought it would be the same on ps3.

Oh, so then he doesn't know much. Perhaps he/she was a grunt.

deepbrown

bj00rn_ said:
GOW2 has AA?

Gbeav said:
Oh, so then he doesn't know much. Perhaps he/she was a grunt.
I don't believe he was/is

Just search tomb raider underworld on b3d.

mintylurb

I think both versions look pretty much the same. Even if the 360 version has a slightly lower resolution, it makes up for it with a more stable frame rate.

And.. :lol at commariodore64's replies.

FirewalkR

Hmmm, Nixxes, never heard of before. Ex-Eidos people... and Netherlands smells like ex-demoscene people (not literally), which would explain a lot regarding what they're able to make.

deepbrown said:

Weird, I also seem to remember talk of PS3 having lower rez.
Oh and btw, iirc cpiasminc and shootmymonkey@b3d (the dev you refer to) are the same person.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Norml said:
PS3 has better textures also.

TombRaiderUW_13_360.png

PS3
TombRaiderUW_13_PS3.png

That seems to be resolution-related. Otherwise the textures on 360 would be half the resolution on PS3, and it is not the case here.

Nameless said:
The strangest thing, though, was just how often we were hitting memory capacity limitations on 360 and NOT on PS3. That still has people scratching their heads.

That's interesting. It doesn't sound like he's talking about disc capacity, but actual system memory. That contradicts everything we've ever been told about the amount of RAM in each system, did Crystal Dynamics' Engine team screw up in a big way? Or is there some extra feature or system overhead on the 360 version that would limit the amount of available memory for this particular title?

Or are this Nixxes team really just that good?

There has to be an explination. (this topic is fantastic, so much drama)

Cloud said:

Oh noes! I been founded out!?! You frequent gamefaqs too!!!!!!!

In all seriousness - though - what are you smoking? Although a quick search of your history of posts shows it's definitely a Sony brand :lol

PSN ID & Gamertag - YourMom. Look into it - I am no fanboy - kiddo.

And with a username of 'Cloud'!? C'mon... bias unlocked!

Minsc

Gold Member
Ether_Snake said:
That seems to be resolution-related. Otherwise the textures on 360 would be half the resolution on PS3, and it is not the case here.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Sucks they gimped the PC version. PS3 has the definitive version this time around.

Minsc said:
Pretty much my thoughts too. Sucks they gimped the PC version. PS3 has the definitive version this time around.

Except without the exclusive DLC, which then makes this whole issue a non-issue if you're not brain dead.

Cloud

commariodore64 said:
Oh noes! I been founded out!?! You frequent gamefaqs too!!!!!!!

In all seriousness - though - what are you smoking? Although a quick search of your history of posts shows it's definitely a Sony brand :lol

PSN ID & Gamertag - YourMom. Look into it - I am no fanboy - kiddo.

And with a username of 'Cloud'!? C'mon... bias unlocked!

wow

LCfiner

Threads like this make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside... mainly due to the shots of JD I need to take while reading them to keep from going crazy and giving up on the internet.

Cloud said:
That's it? 'wow' in lowercase letters, at that!? Guess I struck a nerve to get you to so poignantly enter this fray...

kamorra aka Clouds friend said:
Yeah, no bias at all and still fighting the good fight.
Listen - just because I can't remember my wii friends code doesn't mean anything - good for you taking the time to write yours down. You win!

And - I thought this Gaf place was about sharing opinions? Did I get in at a bad time?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Tomb Raider is slightly better on PS3? QUICK! Somebody check to see if Sony are still in a distant third place!

Router said:
Tomb Raider is slightly better on PS3? QUICK! Somebody check to see if Sony are still in a distant third place!
Watch it there buddy - someone might call you a fanboy!
Apparently clever banter is now forbidden unless it's platform-agnostic in nature... I haven't received the official memo yet - but it certainly must be coming

Kolgar

I just picked up the game up tonight. Looks like the lighting is different in the 360's cut scenes than in actual gameplay. That boat scene, for example - the cut scene is all bright inside the boat's cabin but when gameplay kicks in, the area looks more like the PS3 version.

The game is $40 at Target this week - not bad. And from what I've played so far, the game looks fantastic. Next-gen tomb raiding, here I come!

RavenFox

Banned
deepbrown said:
The camera is broken on all versions.

BTW 360 version gets motion blur, PC and PS3 don't. Depends what your priority is.
I thought it was proven only the PC doesnt have motion blur?
Coverly said:
If you want to win the argument by ignorance go ahead. The other games compared to round out his argument were pure, bioshock, and Mercs 2. If you simply wanted to state that the poster failed by the first link, then you shouldn't have posted like you looked at all of them.
lol Your kidding right? dude piss off

Dabanton

cjelly said:
This thread is amazing.

Here I was thinking the majority of GAF didn't give a shit about TRU.

I was thinking the same thing how long has the game been out and suddenly it becomes a pawn in the console 'war' betwen the console extremists. :lol

Bizzare.

Slamo

Cloud said:

So that's why he's on my ignore list... I think I remember him from that clusterfuck GTA4 thread.

Gowans

GOD I HATE multiplat comparison threads.

Great game tho really enjoyed it

wonder if this means its ok to say I thought this looked better then Uncharted yet?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
commariodore64 said:
Listen - just because I can't remember my wii friends code doesn't mean anything - good for you taking the time to write yours down. You win!

Yay! You checked my profile! Quick check my post history again you may find something! Clever banter is clever.

Slamo said:
So that's why he's on my ignore list... I think I remember him from that clusterfuck GTA4 thread.
I've made a name for myself with Sony defense? I'm on an ignore list?
Only one way to address that...

wow.

note the lowercase - I think I did it right

EDIT: Resume ignoring...

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
commariodore64 said:
Apparently clever banter is now forbidden unless it's platform-agnostic in nature... I haven't received the official memo yet - but it certainly must be coming

These threads are always so silly. I did like the game though.

dfyb

Banned
commariodore64 said:
maybe because it's irrelevant and does nothing to further discussion, as it is little more than fanboy driven bait.

Coverly

RavenFox said:
lol Your kidding right? dude piss off

some comeback. You like to dish the Fail but can't handle it when it gets thrown back at you. Let me know when you run out of message board threats(I think you still have a stfu card you can still play)..

RavenFox

Banned
commariodore64 said:
I've made a name for myself with Sony defense? I'm on an ignore list?
Only one way to address that...

wow.

note the lowercase - I think I did it right
dude STFU already sheesh

Coverly said:
some comeback. You like to dish the Fail but can't handle it when it gets thrown back at you. Let me know when you run out of message board threats(I think you still have a stfu card you can still play)..
My god lol. You and your bud still concerned? Okay what does his post prove? The PS3 cannot do shadows? The basement has to be locked if this tickles your fancy so much.
Why don't you put me on your ignore list and then you can troll in peace. Also the PS3 has very good use of dynamic shadows in game.

Coverly said:
Played it on me - not sure if he has another... perhaps a 'sheesh'?.... NOPE - just checked - I got that too....

Top Bottom