• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners: Have you experienced any burn-in?

Ulysses 31

I ain't clicking on that face. Spare me. Tell me, what's inside? Burn in on 2021 models is real or what? Did he made tests ?
He and some other dude were getting signs of burn in after a couple of months of use and fixed it with pixel refresher. They explained that pixel refresher wears out the other pixels to match the pixels with the most wear out and so that it is a solution with diminishing returns.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
He and some other dude were getting signs of burn in after a couple of months of use and fixed it with pixel refresher. They explained that pixel refresher wears out the other pixels to match the pixels with the most wear out and so that it as a solution with diminishing returns.
Thanks man, appreciate it.

rofif

Banned
Timestamp

I had no burn in after 1200 hours on c1. Then panel got replaced (bright stuck pixel) so I am at 0 again last month.
It might last only two years but I absolutely do not care. I will just buy another one. It would be a pain to have to use lcd again.
Anyway - lg technician told me, they still replace all burn in no question asked

my e6 and c6 are still going strong, no burn in on either and regularly game on both

i also use the c6 as a pc monitor once in a while for racing games

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Just ran one of those YouTube OLED burn-in/colour tests and my Panasonic GZ950 looks as sweet as on day 1 to my eyes with 9000 hours under its belt. No special treatment but the built-in burn-in settings including the once per 1000 hours ~80 minute panel maintenance.

Lot of misinformed people in this thread.

It's not burn in, it's burn out.
oh dont be pedantic.
"burn in" is a common, decades-old term for image retention; e.g., an image "burned into your screen".
people're gonna keep using the term regardless of how a particular tech produces the effect.

you can wait for qd-oled or micro-led (launching perhaps mid-2022), and those may be better (maybe, probably), but stuff keeps getting delayed.

want an OLED now, but worried about issues? buy an extended warranty.
or just buy one and start saving for an 8k tv.

ps cx owner w/ no burn in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I had no burn in after 1200 hours on c1. Then panel got replaced (bright stuck pixel) so I am at 0 again last month.
It might last only two years but I absolutely do not care. I will just buy another one. It would be a pain to have to use lcd again.
Anyway - lg technician told me, they still replace all burn in no question asked
I watched that video and I do not advoacte using an OLED as a monitor for everyday use, but I have my two main desktop monitors, but I use my 3080 C1/48 OLED for gaming. Perfect arrangement.

T8SC

No.

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Bought a c1 a couple months ago with Best Buy warranty so im just enjoying it with no worries

Jigga117

2019 77 & 55in C9s still no image retention or burn in. Heavy PC and Xbox Series X User. Even if it comes that’s why I got Geek Squad protection. I am more worried about a surge than this.

Arioco

I've playing on my CX for a year now and I haven't experienced any burn-in. But I got to say that all of my smartphones have suffered from it, so fingers crossed. 🤞

Jigga117

I've playing on my CX for a year now and I haven't experienced any burn-in. But I got to say that all of my smartphones have suffered from it, so fingers crossed. 🤞
I have had every iPhone with OLED since the IPhone X. I have yet to get burn in. I heard it was prominent on Samsung phones

GametimeUK

C9 for over a year and no burn in. Keep in mind I display varied content. I haven't played multiplayer games with static HUD elements for hours on end consistently. YouTube's interface is probably the most static element that's accumulated most time on my display and I watch it daily. Still no burn in as of yet of the YouTube logo, windows or sidebar.

Super happy with the TV and if it gets light burn in I'm fine with it as long as it isn't noticeable outside of the tests.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I ain't clicking on that face. Spare me. Tell me, what's inside? Burn in on 2021 models is real or what? Did he made tests ?

I mean I kinda understand why some gaming channels do this shit, but why guys who discuss expensive high tech stuff do the same? Ugh... Why it can't be just a straight to the point video with high production values and some sponsor messages at the end? ;(

linus was a dumbass, left productivity apps up on screen with 80 brightness (ones that don't have a dark mode). unless you are in a bright room 30-40 is fine for SDR. and he probably didn't follow best practice of 2 minutes to black screensaver, no wallpaper, keep desktop icons hidden when not using, auto minimize start menu/translucent TB, etc edit: and one of the reasons to make desktop black and hide icons is windows sometimes doesn't properly start the screensaver, so minimizing everything to the black desktop before walking away reduce possibility that it sits on a static image for hours

anyhow, I accidentally played a game with many static menus (Oxygen Not Included) for 24+ hours in HDR mode (100 brightness) and I didn't notice anything so you've got to do it repeatedly. in about a year I've played a lot of game with static menus (although I switched from 70 to 30 brightness for games where I don't care about graphics that much)

Last edited:
No, but I had a fault where there was a line down the middle of the screen but LD replaced the panel as it was faulty apparently.

EDIT: had it for years also.

Last edited:

captainpat

My CX has about 3500 hours on it no burn in and I use it as a monitor. That being said I take a lot of precautions. I keep the brightness at 50 (this is the most important part), enabled all the tvs burn in prevention settings, all black background (or an animated one), dark mode everything and autohide taskbar. Sounds like a lot of babysitting but it took like 20 mins and it's set-and-forget.

Rush2112

Banned
I played on OLED TV for 5 years and it recently died. Most burn ins from all those years were UI elements. For example, I could see the burn in from my borderlands 3 healthbar on the left lower side of the screen (no way to get rid of that in game by the way). I spent maybe 100+ hours on that game? so yeah, thats all it took. If you really are concerned about burn ins, play all games with persistent UIs on a different screen or try to see if the game has a 'dynamic ui' option.

lils

linus was a dumbass, left productivity apps up on screen with 80 brightness (ones that don't have a dark mode). unless you are in a bright room 30-40 is fine for SDR
this is a matter of opinion. i like 100% brightness

poodaddy

Nope. I don't game near as much on it as I should though, especially for the price I paid for it, but no, no burn in in two years. Probably gamed over a hundred hours on it now I'd imagine in the course of those two years.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
nothing yet on my Sony A9S. Had it for 4 months so far. I do game on it with games that have hud elements but not more then few hrs max a day, usually watch movies and stream on it much much more.

Last edited:
Happy C1 owner here too! I went through two Samsung QN90As because of terrible panel uniformity. Dirty screen effect and vertical banding plague those sets. After experiencing OLED, I too can never go back. No problems so far with it.

You say LG will replace burn-in no questions asked? All I have ever read on the matter, when it comes to LG, is that they will only cover burn-in if it happens within their manufacture warranty which is typically only covers a full year. This is why I opted to purchase Best Buys five year coverage since, as far as I know, they're the only ones that will cover burn-in no questions asked.

Top Bottom