• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners: Have you experienced any burn-in?

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Zero issues with my 55CX (purchased last August) and I use it both for console gaming and as a PC monitor. I was petrified of burn in issues before buying but in retrospect, my fears were completely unwarranted. Just use common sense (don't let it run with static icons/images for hours everyday) and you will be A-Ok. 👍

You have it less than a year, you might be cheering a bit too early 😳

My friend has a c9 who has a slight fifa player bar burn in at the bottom , but that's because he's been playing FIFA everyday since release .

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
how so? Edit: I mean, 60 fps looks great. Anything 30 - not so much, and I guess way worse than other places
It was the 30 fps I was refering to. Low fps, especially on better monitors, are hideous and clunky.

Bartski

Gold Member
OLED's fast response time introduces more stutter as fps gets lower so it's a flaw of OLED tech and not the TV.
Maybe you're right, I have zero experience comparing with other OLEDs but you can read opinions here of people preferring 30 fps Fidelity modes over 60 fps Performance on something like CX...

In my case, 30 fps creates so much frame echo and stutter it's almost impossible to use without image smoothing, which then tends to introduce awful artefacts around moving objects, some latency and other issues.
On my next unit, I'll be definitely testing frame interpolation modes quality at 30 before I buy

Nester99

I have only had my OLED for a month (love my new 77' C1, its a game changer) , but a quick question about burn in.

Is burn in caused by total accumulation of USE or is it more about keeping the same channel for an extended length of time
Is watching CNN for 8 hours a day for 3 years the same as watching CNN for 1 years straight? 24/7?

Is it better to turn off the set when you take small breaks? For example i used to just pause my game, eat dinner, put the kids to bed then come back an unpause the game 2 hours later and keep going.
Now i find my self saving and shutting the TV down each time i step away for more then 20 min. - Does adding a ton of power off and power on cycles detrimental? It also powers down my receiver via CEC.

This TV replaced my 75 in 3.5 year old Samsung that had major vertical banding. The difference is Jaw dropping.

I have only had my OLED for a month (love my new 77' C1, its a game changer) , but a quick question about burn in.

Is burn in caused by total accumulation of USE or is it more about keeping the same channel for an extended length of time
Is watching CNN for 8 hours a day for 3 years the same as watching CNN for 1 years straight? 24/7?

Is it better to turn off the set when you take small breaks? For example i used to just pause my game, eat dinner, put the kids to bed then come back an unpause the game 2 hours later and keep going.
Now i find my self saving and shutting the TV down each time i step away for more then 20 min. - Does adding a ton of power off and power on cycles detrimental? It also powers down my receiver via CEC.

This TV replaced my 75 in 3.5 year old Samsung that had major vertical banding. The difference is Jaw dropping.

It’s cumulative despite what people say about playing extended hours at a time. The latter would lead to more image retention which can be fixed with a pixel refresh.

I personally got an extended warranty on mine that will cover burn in. I hope to cash in on that warranty in 4-5 years.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
r9QDGKu.jpg

This is mine 🤯 Any clue what could have caused it in that spot? I barely ever play games on it.

MrS

Banned
Good to know, was gonna ask you this the other day but forgot
I'm amazed the Warzone UI (health bars etc) hasn't burned in considering how much time we've put in. Literally thousands of hours. Seems the anti-logo tech they put in really does work. Love to see it.

Last edited:

Tsukumo

No, but I use the pixel refresher once a week or once every two weeks. The higher you go in price the better features the TV will have for self-maintenance.

rofif

Banned
No, but I use the pixel refresher once a week or once every two weeks. The higher you go in price the better features the TV will have for self-maintenance.
The pixel refresher is automatic after cumulative 4 hours of use. It goes on after turning off the TV.
Full(like manual) pixel refresher is automatic every 2000 hours. I think overusing full pixel refresher will wear down pixels a bit faster. not much

Last edited:

JeloSWE

For me, the problem with OLED isn't so much the risk of burn-in these days but instead the techniques manufacturers use to minimize them, resulting in Automatic Brightness Limiter and general dimmer image for HDR than a top tier LCD can produce. Also, as I'm using my TV as my primary monitor, I don't want even the slightest risk of burn in with my static content 16h a day.

chasimus

I have a C8 and don't have any burn-in after three years of use. I will get image retention frequently from sitting on a menu for too long but it goes away right when the game or movie starts up

If i'm taking a break for more than 15 mins I turn it off. If you are worried about power cycles you can simply turn the picture off while keeping the TV alive.

Excess

I game on PC now, so I have an auto-hide taskbar and screen saver, but I really do miss the Xbox's "screen saver" where it would dim the screen so dark that it almost appeared as if it was off. This actually caused both the Xbox and TV to turn off if it lingered for more than an hour. Whereas, with PC, I have to babysit it a bit more because sometimes the screen saver doesn't trigger for some reason. For that, I've got rotating wallpapers as a fail-safe.

B7, by the way. No burn-in.

r9QDGKu.jpg

This is mine 🤯 Any clue what could have caused it in that spot? I barely ever play games on it.
That's not burn-in, per se. It seems to be a defect like banding. I've seen it many times before on the OLED subreddit. This is replaceable by LG. A few people on there got it replaced.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Not for me after a year.

I haven't done anything like play the same game for hundreds of hours either.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I game on PC now, so I have an auto-hide taskbar and screen saver, but I really do miss the Xbox's "screen saver" where it would dim the screen so dark that it almost appeared as if it was off. This actually caused both the Xbox and TV to turn off if it lingered for more than an hour. Whereas, with PC, I have to babysit it a bit more because sometimes the screen saver doesn't trigger for some reason. For that, I've got rotating wallpapers as a fail-safe.

B7, by the way. No burn-in.

That's not burn-in, per se. It seems to be a defect like banding. I've seen it many times before on the OLED subreddit. This is replaceable by LG. A few people on there got it replaced.

thanks, will give it a shot.

My first OLED phone, got severe burnin, due to the way I used it with youtube.

I got a 2nd hand more modern model, and instantly noticed the defects. (the giver never mentioned anything)

I almost bought a CX afew times, but these 2 personal expieriences, as well all the people with issues on the LG sets, means I'm not trusting OLED for my use case any time soon.

I got my first LCD TV in 2006 to watch the world cup in "HD"

The Samsung LCD I ended up with was one of the best at the time, it ended up with severe burnin/retention issues.
That thankfullY i got covered under warranty.

I'm well aware of issues with non mature tech.

Last edited:
My first OLED phone, got severe burnin, due to the way I used it with youtube.

I got a 2nd hand more modern model, and instantly noticed the defects. (the giver never mentioned anything)

I almost bought a CX afew times, but these 2 personal expieriences, as well all the people with issues on the LG sets, means I'm not trusting OLED for my use case any time soon.

I got my first LCD TV in 2006 to watch the world cup in "HD"

The Samsung LCD I ended up with was one of the best at the time, it ended up with severe burnin/retention issues.
That thankfullY i got covered under warranty.

I'm well aware of issues with non mature tech.

Yeah, everything has its flaws. I remember fixing blown capacitors on a Samsung LCD for a few bucks rather than paying $500 for a new motherboard. My older Panasonic LCD is still kicking from 2011.

Tsukumo

The pixel refresher is automatic after cumulative 4 hours of use. It goes on after turning off the TV.
Full(like manual) pixel refresher is automatic every 2000 hours. I think overusing full pixel refresher will wear down pixels a bit faster. not much
Didn't know that. Thought it needed to be set up manually.

Ozzie666

C7, 3 Years. My wife finally killed it with playing Genshin Impact during the pandemic. Slight burn in now of the health bar area. We were so careful. there is a circle burnt in to also from Genshin. The only good thing is, it's minor and you can't notice it under normal TV/Movie use. But it still irks me. We have a technician coming to replace a part and also investigating replacing the screen. If LG replaces the screen, I'll be more than happy.

The TV and picture is amazing. But I'm not sure if the worry about burn in is worth it over a non OLED TV. Next TV will be interesting, I was sold on getting the newest LG OLED again, but now, not so sure :(

I hate you Genshin.

Ev1L AuRoN

I used to be very mindful of the possibility of burn in, so I never bought an Oled TV, with that said, I have this friend that owns a Oled TV for over a year and he use it as his PC monitor, so, a lot of UI, bars etc that don't move, and guess what, I can see any sign of burn in on his TV. So mt next TV will be an Oled no doubt about it, the tech is amazing and nothing else comes close.

bender

What time is it?
Rocket League burned mine in. I witched to an LCD which has other drawbacks. Too bad my Kuro is only 1080p.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not sure exactly what model it was, maybe a B7, but yes, ours had burn in from mixed gaming. It was my last OLED. I really want one, hoping the newer ones are better. Those who say burn in on Oled doesn't exist live in a fantasy world.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yes and bad screen uniformity. Happened after a year. Mainly because the kids left it on with cartoons going 24/7 you can clearly see letterbox lines and dark and light splotched areas.

MacReady13

Have had my CX 55 inch for just over a year now and so far no burn in although, to be fair, I have only used the tv for a total of about 850 hours so i'm not one to really ask about burn in. But I game on it fairly often (PS4/5, Series X and Switch) and find it the dream tv to game on. I'm not worried about burn in. Once i've had this set for 3-5 years I'll look to upgrade and sell this set.

My C8 got some burn in. Wasn't too bad, but was enough to make me quit gaming on it at all. Gave it to my daughter to use, as stuff like that doesn't bother her like it does me.

I ended up going with QLED instead. OLED has awesome image quality, but it seems as if there's a large scale effort to make up excuses, dismiss, or deny the various shortcomings of them.

There's enough proven examples of obvious burn in all over the web that should make anyone second guess getting one when gaming is involved. I think people read threads like this and ultimately think it's a nonissue, and go buy one. A year or so later they're trying to defend their purchase, and don't want to appear as if they didn't do their homework and be told "I told you so", so they perpetuate the same things others do about burn in. I heard my neighbor talk about how his never experienced burn in, and would talk up OLED at any given chance. Only to find out that his set actually had pretty bad burn in from watching too much sports. He just didn't really know what burn in was or what it looked like, and figured it wasn't permanent. He now trash talks OLED at any given opportunity. Lol

Even burn in weren't an issue. (which it is) I'd be hard pressed to by an OLED right now due to them not displaying 4k 120hz content properly. People always quick to mention those 4 HDMI 2.1, but what good is that when they're worth fuck all for 4k 120hz? LG says they fixed it for their 2021 panels, but I'd be wary. If it's due to the OLED panel itself, and can't be fixed via firmware as they stated, then I'd be skeptical when they also said that their new panels wouldn't have that issue.

Monokrom

I have a LG OLED B7 65", no burn-in and I've played about 800 hours Diablo 3 which have static images (health/mana).
My old tv was a 50" Pioneer Plasma. So the next logical step was OLED. Couldn't be more happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

Tschumi

My vita 1000 doesn't look much better than my vita 2000 and i wonder if it's because the screen is burnt out..

Top Bottom