• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners: Have you experienced any burn-in?

My main concern is my wife. She'll put on Amazon streaming and then fall asleep. When I get back it's stagnant on the "Are you still watching?" Screen. You'd think app makers would be better about this by now.

Nope. Not even a hint of it on my Sony AF9

just 55 inches of glorious gaming, movies, sports and a lot of news channels (well this year anyway)

no logos of phantom marks In the just over year of very happy ownership 👍😊😎

(got an end of line model, when the ‘g’ serious was in full swing).

can’t see me going back to led, till at least micro is here and delivers on it’s potential. Well not for my main screen (did want at least the 65” model, but the price for what I got was literally a steal)

Blood Borne

I have an OLED and this is a complete lie. Burn in us very well a possibility, a small, but a possibility.

OP if I were you and you live in the US I would look in the 55 inch Vizio OLED that’s 900 dollars. It looks roughly the same as my C9 and is 400 less than when I got mine.

I’ve had a C9 since November 2019. Constantly on, Mrs watching her shows, kids on YouTube and me gaming. No issues whatsoever.

RTINGS did an extensive and exhaustive test on OLED and only in the most unrealistic scenarios did they get burn in, such as watching CNN 24 hrs a day for almost a year. They even had a call of duty gameplay on loop with the HUD for more than 6 months and they didn’t get burn in.

it is an exaggerated myth by QLED and LED peasants.

Tiamat2san

At one moment , I thought I had.
But in the end it was the réflection of light into a glass shelf behind me.
Seriously it obsessed me for a week.
Lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No but i would never buy an oled again.
Last weekend i went out to some friends.

When i came home i found my oled on the floor pass out drunk with a bunch of his friends the whole house smelled of booze and piss and my place was totally wrecked.
I am sure when you check this website called RT ratings they will warn you about this or burn in.

Srsly do not get an oled. Get an Qled from samsung. The letter Q comes after the letter O so it must be better!

Blond

Banned
I’ve had a C9 since November 2019. Constantly on, Mrs watching her shows, kids on YouTube and me gaming. No issues whatsoever.

RTINGS did an extensive and exhaustive test on OLED and only in the most unrealistic scenarios did they get burn in, such as watching CNN 24 hrs a day for almost a year. They even had a call of duty gameplay on loop with the HUD for more than 6 months and they didn’t get burn in.

it is an exaggerated myth by QLED and LED peasants.

Didn’t I saw it was a *small* but very real possibility? The reality is even if by and large we give OLED the 5% failure rate of most electronics that still means 5% of people who buy them will experience some kind of burn-in/dead pixels/general failure.

OLED burn in isn’t a myth, just like LEDs not being capable of burn in is a myth. Both technologies have a possibility no matter how small, it’s just that OLED has a higher chance of doing so.

I don’t know why you’re arguing with this fact when the people who actually engineer it are trying to make sure it isn’t a thing at all.

Philips pointed out that OLED owners with ‘normal’ viewing habits, including changing the channel occasionally and putting their TV into standby overnight so the residual image removing technology already available can get to work, should not experience any problems.

Although describing ‘burn-in’ as an industry buzzword which non OLED competitors tended to play up, Tack did admit that there would always be exceptions and some users might experience problems. Additionally, he conceded that those with larger screens would face more costly replacements as bigger screen sizes become more popular

So straight from the horse’s mouth, while not typical there will always be a section of users who experience failure of some kind related to the screen. And calling people “peasants” for using different screen quality is the most childish shit I’ve ever seen. It’s a TV not a donor organ.

Ma-Yuan

My main concern is my wife. She'll put on Amazon streaming and then fall asleep. When I get back it's stagnant on the "Are you still watching?" Screen. You'd think app makers would be better about this by now.
Not an issue they have Screensaver nowadays kicks in after 2 minutes of a static picture.

Merkades

My B6 definitely has it, along the bottom and right mostly. But I play a lot of RPGs with static elements and also have my TV as a second monitor for my PC (using it for that purpose right this second). It is mostly noticeable on solid lighter colors, but if I am being honest, it does not bother me too much. It is kinda like wearing amber tinted PC glasses (which I also do), you get used to it and your mind kinda filters things out.

So, that all said, if I were buying a new TV I would still choose OLED. I just don't think I can go back to non self illuminating pixels. (honestly, I just don't want to, not really so dramatic that I can't)

Edit - those mini LEDs blurayhidef posted could be nice if that turns out to be more real than microLEDs. Either way, I can wait another few years to see how things go.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
if You have something bright and static on screen eventually those colors will age at different rate to others in that spot leading to uniformity problems. If you vary content it’s not so much an issue beyond general wear in the longer term (when you would be getting a new tv anyway). If you keep a tv for a very long time sure, it will eventually be a problem

RoboFu

One of the green rats
C7 65” here and yes a little burn in but even worse screen uniformity went to shit in a year. You can see were some blacks are now a deep blue in areas.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nearly 4 years old. No. Only a problem on newer models if you play a game with a static UI excessively for long periods of time.

I'm curious... What kind of games are those? The only ones I can think of are, maybe, some tabletop gamesand maybe very old PC RPGs

llien

I think banding is the actual issue that affects most OLED users to some extent.

Especially at 5%-15% grey levels.

If it is bad enough, one could spot it when you see homogenous background shift from a side to a side.

Hardly noticeable otherwise.

The "pixel refreshers" seem to inevitably cause it.

Soulja

I have burn in on my b8 thanks to fifa. My C9 has 0 burn in... But I have only just started gaming on it since I got the series x.

Nydus

My, now sold, B7 had MAJOR BURN IN! :messenger_face_screaming: when i sold it i made a burn in test and on the lower right corner, while displaying pure red, you could see a little shadow. it was the yellow button of the youtube app. And this was only after some years of HEAVY youtube watching almost every day. oh and i gamed 500h of Monster Hunter world on this thing and no sign of that :(

I dont really know how to abuse an OLED nowadays to get major burn in :/

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm curious... What kind of games are those? The only ones I can think of are, maybe, some tabletop gamesand maybe very old PC RPGs

Anything that stays on the screen almost all the time, really. I think sports games can be pretty bad, people also get it from having certain news channels on all day. If you used it as a monitor, stuff like the taskbar, or a game like WoW where there's almost always certain UI elements on-screen.

Hustler

LG C8 owner for 2 years, never had a single image retention or burn in. The awesome thing about the LG OLEDs ( assuming others have this feature as well? ) If you leave the tv on for long periods of time, it switches to a screen saver mode to avoid any possible issues with image retention/burn in. And as others have said, the perfect blacks are just astounding.

mitchman

Gold Member
I had some burnin on my B6 which was entirely my own fault. I had set OLED light to 100 for SDR content (up from 80), and was watching the same streamer on twitch for hours every day. That and missing countermeasures against burnin on the B6 (which my B9 has) caused a mild burn-in. Only noticeable with certain background colors. I guess the best bet is to not disable any of the anti-burnin measures and never set OLED light to 100 for SDR content.
I replaced it with a B9 and sold it to a friend, and he was fine with the mild burn in.

Last edited:
I had some burnin on my B6 which was entirely my own fault. I had set OLED light to 100 for SDR content (up from 80), and was watching the same streamer on twitch for hours every day. That and missing countermeasures against burnin on the B6 (which my B9 has) caused a mild burn-in. Only noticeable with certain background colors. I guess the best bet is to not disable any of the anti-burnin measures and never set OLED light to 100 for SDR content.
I replaced it with a B9 and sold it to a friend, and he was fine with the mild burn in.
Don't blame yourself for using your TV. The technology is fundamentally flawed. Burn in is inevitable and only a matter of time in every OLED as the degradation of the organic material is cumulative.

Last edited:
The burn in fear is so overhyped. You really have to be wreckless to get burnin on the newer LG models from what I understand.

Not had any issues on my CX and have been using quite a lot. I never spend 100s of hours on a single RPG with a fixed hud. But my understanding is that even something like that won't be an issue as long as you are putting in standbye when not in use.

mitchman

Gold Member
Don't blame yourself for using your TV. The technology is fundamentally flawed. Burn in is inevitable and only a matter of time in every OLED as the degradation of the organic material is cumulative.
Well, if I had used it using the recommended settings, it wouldn't have happened. It's like overclocking a CPU too much and then blaming AMD/Intel when the machine is not stable.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no but it's too early. had my CX for 2 months. do have a single dead pixel though which i just noticed. luckily it's away at the top left corner and i need to stand like 4ft infront of the TV to see it on a white background. completely invisible at normal viewing distance. i do have 5 year warranty for burn in which is good peace of mind.

if you play a game and move onto another one then you'll be fine. even if you replay a game a few times you'll be alright because games are usually <200 hours so you won't be playing them long enough for burn in to be an issue. of course you have games like Destiny 2, Fortnite, WoW, FIFA, etc which you can sink thousands of hours into. if you are gonna play a game for thousands of hours then it's likely to burn in.

Last edited:

pesaddict

Banned
65" E9 here heavily abused by my three old on youtube 🤬😂😂😂 90% of the time i leave on the eco setting. Can't say i have noticed any burn in

Gaelyon

Philips OLED 804, a bit more than 1 year, no burn in at all with lots of gaming/streaming. There's a screensaver which kick in after a few minutes of static image.

However a few years ago i was using a samsung oled 8" tablet and after a year it had permanent burn in from mobile gaming on it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Here are images taken from the RTing's burn in test. click on them for full image size. This was taken after 560 hours (23 days) of watching CNN at MAX brightness so worst case scenario and should be considered a torture test. there is only very very slight burn in at the middle:

real-burn-in-week-4-tv-3-gray-large.jpg

And here is from 840 hours in (35 days). you can faintly start to see the CNN logo at the bottom right

real-burn-in-week-6-tv-3-gray-large.jpg

and from 1120 hours (46 days) in. burn in is now significantly visible.

real-burn-in-week-8-tv-3-gray-large.jpg

This is the latest image taken after 14,280 hours (595 days) which is :

real-burn-in-week-102-tv-3-red-large.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
For comparison here is FIFA 18 photos taken at the same time as the CNN photos above but at ~60% brightness:

560 hours (23 days)

real-burn-in-week-4-tv-5-gray-large.jpg

840 hours in (35 days)

real-burn-in-week-6-tv-5-gray-large.jpg

1120 hours (46 days) in

real-burn-in-week-8-tv-5-gray-large.jpg

This is the latest image taken after 14,280 hours (595 days)

real-burn-in-week-102-tv-5-red-large.jpg

Last edited:

Audiophile

Not burn-in in the conventional sense but I've had severe premature aging of the red/green (and to a very slight degree, the blue) subpixels in the space of 18 months on my LG C7.

I seem to have lost the panel lottery and suffered from a known issue where the set can run too hot which accelerates aging of the subpixels. My panel is an absolute mess.

Most peoples' response would be "you left static images on the screen for too long, it's your fault". However, I've been incredibly vigilante about leaving anything on screen for more than a minute and on the rare occasion I do leave a totally still image up, the screensaver kicks in very quickly. Pixel refresher is also set to run as is pixel shift; though the latter really isn't going to be all that effective, it only really results in minimising burn-in/aging at the edges of a static object.

What's happened with my set is not long single periods of static on screen elements. But lots of short, repeated exposures accumulating and causing premature pixel aging. What makes it worse is that the built in UI and built-in Apps are full of elements that contribute. The YouTube app has the static yellow/green button prompt, the red YouTube logo is incredibly damaging and the TVs own UI has multiple offending elements. The Netflix icon is now visible too. Imo, all OLED TV apps should be customised to not have static red/yellow/green on-screen elements, as should its built in UI.

Basically anything that's in the vicinity of red or yellow on my set is now marred by green-tinted marks. The centre ~30% of the screen has a giant, round, graduated blob which make skin tones look green and sickly. There's even a mark left by the pinkish cursor which is dead-centre on the screen. This is present and in that location for only a split-second when bringing it up, which is evident of this not being burn-in from misuse, but again, premature aging due to a poor panel/fault. The same goes for the YouTube progress bar which now runs most of the way across the screen despite only ever having being on screen for a few seconds at a time.

Micro-LED can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Anything that stays on the screen almost all the time, really. I think sports games can be pretty bad, people also get it from having certain news channels on all day. If you used it as a monitor, stuff like the taskbar, or a game like WoW where there's almost always certain UI elements on-screen.

So basically any game since most games have some kind of HUB or GUI... I wouldn't ake the risk, specially considering the price of those things, maybe for movies

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So basically any game since most games have some kind of HUB or GUI... I wouldn't ake the risk, specially considering the price of those things, maybe for movies

Right, but that's not the key. The key is those elements being on-screen constantly. Any game where the UI doesn't shift at all that you sit and play 12 hours a day won't do an OLED much good.

In 99% of cases it's absolutely fine. Games often change the display enough that it's not an issue, and OLEDs generally have screen refresher tools and screensavers. Had mine 4 years, high use, zero issues. You should only avoid them out of fear if you're going to have a certain channel running all day that has a logo in the same place constantly, or something like that. See the post above with the CNN logo, that's from a test where they had CNN running an ungodly amount and should not be taken as a realistic scenario.

Rickyiez

Are tv screens better quality than phone oled? My s10 has burn in and its only barely a year old

I actually wanted to ask the opposite , because I've been using OLED phones for ages since S7 Edge , Note 8 and now S10+ and they never had burn in :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

TheRobot

C7 owner and I only notice it on Xbox dashboard when the backlight is full and I go into the Xbox gray UI like the settings or game and apps but it's a minor burn in and disappears after a couple of minutes.

Lot of misinformed people in this thread.

It's not burn in, it's burn out.
OLED stands for organic light emitting diode. The organic part is what gives it the luminescence when coupled with electricity. The problem is, whenever those pixels are on and lit up, especially if you're using higher brightness, you're essentially burning up the organic material that makes the pixel light up. No matter what you're displaying, if the pixels are lit up, they're burning out.

The most damaging colors to have on screen are white followed by blue, then distantly less significant is red and lastly green. Any static white logos are going to burn out the pixels organic material much faster than say a dynamic section of the screen which is constantly cycling between different colors.

The "techniques" modern OLED displays use to avoid these problems are pretty terrible. They're basically monitoring which pixels were most noticeably suffering during the last usage period between screen cleanup cycles and then they invert the tonemap to try and level out the pixel brightness so you don't notice the "burn in".

This means if you take an OLED TV that's brand new and then compare it to the same model that's seen regular usage for several hours a day, the new one will be brighter because the organic substrate is still fresh and outputting at much higher brightness.

The only way to compensate for this burn out without losing brightness is to raise voltages to counteract the loss of material. This however is counterintuitive as it means a more rapid burn out, kind of like overvolting a computer chip to maintain an overclock. Eventually, you're going to fry it and it'll be totally dead.

For this very reason alone, I refuse to use OLED. LCD doesn't have any of these problems, and hopefully that means MicroLED can soon take over the OLED crown of best picture quality without any of the heinous flaws and compromises. It's going to be glorious.

Kupfer

I have a brand new LG CX 48" that's over a month old. I love everything about it.

Of course, no burn ins, but sadly i'm already seeing flickering issues with my TV just recently (white vertical lines across the screen).

I've thought it was my PC or my HDMI cable.. turns out this is also happening with the new Xbox too (according to reddit users in OLED community). Also, it happens when you play at 120hz (116hz is the sweetspot for me where the vertical white lines appear for some reason). Yet, LG has said that a new firmware is coming soon. Overall, this issue is minimal and haven't seen it all day yesterday. Yet it was crazy on Thursday night (Black Ops launch) through Friday.
Did you try to deactivate VRR ?

Dackelbein

Have a 2018 LG B8 for 2 years now, no burn in at all, lots of PS4 & XBox hours on it with static displays (Forza 7, Horizon 4, GT Sport). Same for a friend with his 2 year old B8, who needs his daily Destiny 2 dose for several hours.
Wonder if peeps with burn-in turn their OLEDs off completely, which is an absolute no-go.
Or is it just a myth told by desperate Samsung QLED salesmen ? :)

Aidah

I haven't even seen the slightest hint of temporary imagine retention, let alone burn-in (after hundreds of hours of use, including playing the same multiplayer game for over 200 hours)

In retrospect, I think it was a very silly thing for me to worry about before I bought my first one.

Last edited:

RobRSG

My LG C8 is still rocking since February 2019, more than 5 days played in total of COD Modern Warfare and no issues at all.

Desless1

Been gaming on my B6 for 4 years or so, no burn in. Bought the CX during december and I will continue to use it as I did with the B6.
But then again, I dont watch news for 10 hours a day nor sleeping on the sofa with the TV off. And always make sure it turns it self off after x-hours of inactivity. No worries for me regarding Burn in whatsoever.

Top Bottom