• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners: Have you experienced any burn-in?

18 months in with my B9, always using it at peak brightness... zero burn in. You have to actively abuse your TV to cause any burn in with newer panels. It's a non-issue.

Arioco

Even burn in weren't an issue. (which it is) I'd be hard pressed to by an OLED right now due to them not displaying 4k 120hz content properly. People always quick to mention those 4 HDMI 2.1, but what good is that when they're worth fuck all for 4k 120hz? LG says they fixed it for their 2021 panels, but I'd be wary. If it's due to the OLED panel itself, and can't be fixed via firmware as they stated, then I'd be skeptical when they also said that their new panels wouldn't have that issue.

What? A C9 and CX have no problem whatsoever displaying 4K at 120 hz. You mean the flickering issue when the fps are NOT constant 120 Hz caused by VRR?

No burn in on my CX. Played a variety of turn-based strategies and various titles with with fixed HUDs - 100-200 hours each and haven't noticed any burn in. Such a great TV and feels so future-proof.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
r9QDGKu.jpg

This is mine 🤯 Any clue what could have caused it in that spot? I barely ever play games on it.

So this isn't burn in but something else?

mrmeh

this was my biggest concerning factor when I bought the Samsung Q80T the other month, my kids tend to walk away from the tv and leave it on a static image for hrs. I just new with my luck it would get terrible burn in. Glad to see its only a small minority that seem to get this issue as the image quality is far superior to that of the screen I bought.
Static screens for a while trigger a screen saver anyway so not an issue ...Kids and youtube etc..

THE:MILKMAN

r9QDGKu.jpg

This is mine 🤯 Any clue what could have caused it in that spot? I barely ever play games on it.

Wow, that looks awful! :( Does the TV face a window that gets a lot of Sun? Magnified and reflected light could be burning the screen?...Otherwise I have no idea how the centre spot could be that bad or why the colour can vary so much across the panel.

I have a Panasonic OLED myself and using one of the YouTube colour/burn in videos it is clean as a whistle to my eyes and it has >7500 hours on it.

Any of you guys with a C7? Do you have your "Logo" luminance settings on low or high? I'm playing Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, and it has a static bar of boxes on the bottom the entire time with no problems thus far. I'm still wondering if I should change my settings from low to high on the reduction of static logo luminance.

Arioco

Any of you guys with a C7? Do you have your "Logo" luminance settings on low or high? I'm playing Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis, and it has a static bar of boxes on the bottom the entire time with no problems thus far. I'm still wondering if I should change my settings from low to high on the reduction of static logo luminance.

I would do it, no doubt. Just in case...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
No, but I refuse to play games with static non transparent HUD's.
Latest offender: Borderlands 3, had I known it has the shittiest HUD in gaming I would not have bought it, even at 19EUR. I have an expensive OLED TV, if Dev's don't account for OLED owners I'm not willing to support their buffoonery with my money. "No HUD" or "transparent HUD" option or no buy.

Fucking assholes.

reinking

Gold Member
Latest offender: Borderlands 3, had I known it has the shittiest HUD in gaming I would not have bought it, even at 19EUR. I have an expensive OLED TV, if Dev's don't account for OLED owners I'm not willing to support their buffoonery with my money. "No HUD" or "transparent HUD" option or no buy.

Fucking assholes.
I'm not knocking your choice but it is a good example of why I did not go with an OLED. I was afraid it would start dictating what type of games/content I consume as I would be too nervous to play certain things on it. Even if I said, F-it and played whatever I would be watching for signs of burn-in constantly. It just didn't feel worth it to me for peace of mind.

sankt-Antonio

I'm not knocking your choice but it is a good example of why I did not go with an OLED. I was afraid it would start dictating what type of games/content I consume as I would be too nervous to play certain things on it. Even if I said, F-it and played whatever I would be watching for signs of burn-in constantly. It just didn't feel worth it to me for peace of mind.
Totally legit. I watch more movies and shows then playing games, so the quality of the display was more important to me then "not being able" to play some games. I have had a Plasma for ten years with no burn in (so I knew what I was doing with going OLED). But Borderlands really has the worst combination for HUDs, its red, bright, static. That's CNN logo stress test level for OLEDs. How a multimillion DEV company can do that is beyond me.

Like most people here, I absolutely love OLED. What sits in my living room though is a new Samsung QN90A. Two reasons why: First off, the way I game and what my girlfriend and I watch (lots of YouTube) does not give me piece of mind when it comes to burn-in. Secondly, there's no way I'm buying an OLED without a five year warranty from Best Buy. Unfortunately that pushes the 55' C1 into $2K territory and I don't want to spend that much money. I guess I'm too neurotic to own one. Hell, I'm currently thinking of exchanging my QN90A in hopes the next one will have less banding and DSE.

DrDamn

r9QDGKu.jpg

Looks very similar to this. Screen issue from excessing heat. Get LG to fix it.

rofif

Banned

Fucking assholes.
That is paranoid. C7 is a bit older and it is said the panels are a bit better with cx and C1.
As long as tv survives 3 years, i would not care about any precautions

sankt-Antonio

That is paranoid. C7 is a bit older and it is said the panels are a bit better with cx and C1.
As long as tv survives 3 years, i would not care about any precautions
Got the A90J Sony, I want it to last at least 10 years, as much as I used my Plasma (its now rocking at my sisters place ). So I'm not gonna risk burn in because some Dev was to cheap to implement a transparency HUD slider and have to look at it for years to come. And it being used primarily for 4k/HDR movie watching.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Got the A90J Sony, I want it to last at least 10 years, as much as I used my Plasma (its now rocking at my sisters place ). So I'm not gonna risk burn in because some Dev was to cheap to implement a transparency HUD slider and have to look at it for years to come. And it being used primarily for 4k/HDR movie watching.
for me, the tech changes so much, I will want to upgrade and not expect any electronics to ast 10 years lol cmon

S0ULZB0URNE

Fucking assholes.
They shouldn't have to.

sankt-Antonio

for me, the tech changes so much, I will want to upgrade and not expect any electronics to ast 10 years lol cmon
Reuse, Reduce, Recycle. Im not going to buy and create more techwaste then needed. Dont need to be on the newest tech every year. Writing this from a 11 year old iMac (could buy a new one any day of the week). My sisters TV broke, so I gave her my PLasma and used the opportunity to get a HDMI 2.1 set. Its going to be used until it breaks :D

They shouldn't have to.

OLED burn in is a reality, I would also wish it wasn't so - but it is. Everything is a trade off. Only reliable option is, transparent HUD's.

Last edited:

Exoil

Reuse, Reduce, Recycle. Im not going to buy and create more techwaste then needed. Dont need to be on the newest tech every year. Writing this from a 11 year old iMac (could buy a new one any day of the week).
I got some old crap that you can buy from me if you want to. Reuse and reduce you know.

rofif

Banned
Reuse, Reduce, Recycle. Im not going to buy and create more techwaste then needed. Dont need to be on the newest tech every year. Writing this from a 11 year old iMac (could buy a new one any day of the week).

OLED burn in is a reality, I would also wish it wasn't so - but it is. Everything is a trade off. Only reliable option is, transparent HUD's.
This is honoroable but pointless. Your 1 tv change every 5 years instad of1 tv every10 years is not going to prevent global warming.
maybe just help with your wallet.
I could not imaging sitting on a 10yo tv today. 1080p, lag, no hdr, no vrr. worse colors. Even plasma from 10 years ago is outdated by tech today

sankt-Antonio

This is honoroable but pointless. Your 1 tv change every 5 years instad of1 tv every10 years is not going to prevent global warming.
I could not imaging sitting on a 10yo tv today. 1080p, lag, no hdr, no vrr. worse colors. Even plasma from 10 years ago is outdated by tech today
Oh well, every little counts. And my Plasma was/is better regarding motion handling then any LED/LCD/OLED TV regardless of price. I actually miss it for gaming. And as Plasma's are indestructible it will last an easy 20. That's quite the TVs saved right there.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Reuse, Reduce, Recycle. Im not going to buy and create more techwaste then needed. Dont need to be on the newest tech every year. Writing this from a 11 year old iMac (could buy a new one any day of the week). My sisters TV broke, so I gave her my PLasma and used the opportunity to get a HDMI 2.1 set. Its going to be used until it breaks :D

It's simple don't game on burn in capable displays. :lollipop_raising_hand: Problem solved.

rofif

Banned
Oh well, every little counts. And my Plasma was/is better regarding motion handling then any LED/LCD/OLED TV regardless of price. I actually miss it for gaming. And as Plasma's are indestructible it will last an easy 20. That's quite the TVs saved right there.
Plasma had the same burn in issues though.
And motion on oled is fantastic. There even is (imo pointless) Black frame insertion for the picky people

quest

Not Banned from OT

If my C7 didn't have burn in the only feature I see worthwhile to upgrade would be vrr. The new OLEDs are not much better. Real micro LED is the only real upgrade is 7-10 years Away. I don't see any OLED TVs coming that are game changers if you have a good one pictures Quality wise.

sankt-Antonio

Plasma had the same burn in issues though.
And motion on oled is fantastic. There even is (imo pointless) Black frame insertion for the picky people
That's why I said above that I knew what I was getting into with the OLED since I already had a Plasma. I use BFI on my OLED for gaming. Still, Plasma felt much smoother.

Q quest Spot on. That's actually my plan, getting a micro LED once they are mature enough. As nothing else is going to be much of a upgrade. That is going to take an easy 10 years. By that time someone in my family will have a broken TV and take my OLED XD

OLED is shitty display tech if you have to be careful what you're displaying on it.

Shitty is, like most things, in the eyes of the beholder. I can deal with not playing every game out there if it means i have a premium movie watching experience. LED/LCD picture quality is present 100% of the time. Only tech that's really non shitty is going to be micro LED.

Last edited:

Fbh

So is burn in only an issue if you have static elements on screen for a long time without pause? Or does it sort of "accumulate" over time?

Like if I frequently play a game that has static HUD elements, but I never play for more than 2-3 hours in a row (usually less)...will that be an issue? Is there a risk of burn in if I've had the same static Hud on screen for hundreds of hours...but never more than 2 in a row?

rofif

Banned
So is burn in only an issue if you have static elements on screen for a long time without pause? Or does it sort of "accumulate" over time?

Like if I frequently play a game that has static HUD elements, but I never play for more than 2-3 hours in a row (usually less)...will that be an issue? Is there a risk of burn in if I've had the same static Hud on screen for hundreds of hours...but never more than 2 in a row?
accumulate they say. Not sure myself but I don't much care for burn in.
LG sets have this pixel refresher and compensation cycles after 4 hours of cumulative use and 2k hours of use which supposedly even the wear

sankt-Antonio

Imo yes, the OLED light emitters still get uneven wear. That's what burn in is. Red is the most prone for wear. So if you use a red HUD in the same spot for a hundred h but the rest of the tv is only displaying red worth 10h. Its going to show. Like rofif rofif said. TVs have tech to prevent it, but its still fundamental about hours wearing down the organic stuff physically.

Q quest posted a picture above, the burn in is "just" red light emitters not being bright enough anymore because of wear. That's why transparent HUDs are so important.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Low to high is about the speed it kicks in, not how strong it is. It's a common misconception. In any case, I've set mine on high.

Fbh

accumulate they say. Not sure myself but I don't much care for burn in.
LG sets have this pixel refresher and compensation cycles after 4 hours of cumulative use and 2k hours of use which supposedly even the wear
Imo yes, the OLED light emitters still get uneven wear. That's what burn in is. Red is the most prone for wear. So if you use a red HUD in the same spot for a hundred h but the rest of the tv is only displaying red worth 10h. Its going to show. Like rofif rofif said. TVs have tech to prevent it, but its still fundamental about hours wearing down the organic stuff physically.

Q quest posted a picture above, the burn in is "just" red light emitters not being bright enough anymore because of wear. That's why transparent HUDs are so important.

I see.
I'm sure it's not as big of an issue as it sounds, but spending extra on a TV to then have to worry about things like HUD elements is still a bit disappointing.

I'm looking to get a new TV in some months and still don't know what I'll be going with. Have considered anything from OLED to QLED to just a cheap but good looking (at least according to reviews) Hisense LCD

sankt-Antonio

I see.
I'm sure it's not as big of an issue as it sounds, but spending extra on a TV to then have to worry about things like HUD elements is still a bit disappointing.

I'm looking to get a new TV in some months and still don't know what I'll be going with. Have considered anything from OLED to QLED to just a cheap but good looking (at least according to reviews) Hisense LCD
rtings have a really good OLED burn in test/ video out. Imo, you have to do a lot until you can see burn in on every content situation. Slight burn in might only be visible in very select situations. Depending on how critical you are it can be an absolute non issue. I hate any kind of blemish when watching movies, so I'm super anal about it. More so then necessary I'm sure.

"Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV. "

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
That's why I said above that I knew what I was getting into with the OLED since I already had a Plasma. I use BFI on my OLED for gaming. Still, Plasma felt much smoother.

Q quest Spot on. That's actually my plan, getting a micro LED once they are mature enough. As nothing else is going to be much of a upgrade. That is going to take an easy 10 years. By that time someone in my family will have a broken TV and take my OLED XD

Shitty is, like most things, in the eyes of the beholder. I can deal with not playing every game out there if it means i have a premium movie watching experience. LED/LCD picture quality is present 100% of the time. Only tech that's really non shitty is going to be micro LED.

Your correct on the motion I miss my Plasma. Not just gaming but sports and other fast content.

As I tell all TV display warriors. They are all shit sandwiches right now. It is choosing the one that you can choke down.

Codiox

I can see the street fighter 5 lifebars and the clock counter in the middle when in looking at a orange screen.

This gets really annoying in sea of thieves when the sunset is coming.

I'm actually really considering to get a cheap LCD for the next year's until microLED is a thing.

VivaR3V

Neo Member
Yes, Sony 55 A1 bought brand new a few years back. Love the TV but it suddenly (as of about 8 months ago) got horizontal burn in a few inches from the bottom of the panel. It can be seen with certain colours, but otherwise is not too noticeable. I don’t even understand how it happened or what it’s from. its a small set of boxes it appears, would take a picture if I was at home. I believe the TV may have somehow switched on during the night and whatever was on screen at the time did the damage.

As much as I love OLED there’s no chance of me buying another for gaming. I would not like to take the chance, going instead with whatever Is it’s equivalent that has no chance of burn in.

I took great care too.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
The video to send around whenever someone says burn in is not an issue anymore in 2021. :lollipop_grinning:
I ain't clicking on that face. Spare me. Tell me, what's inside? Burn in on 2021 models is real or what? Did he made tests ?

All do this bullshit. Guess why It's because of the algorythm clicks and money.

I mean I kinda understand why some gaming channels do this shit, but why guys who discuss expensive high tech stuff do the same? Ugh... Why it can't be just a straight to the point video with high production values and some sponsor messages at the end? ;(

Top Bottom