• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Owners: Have you experienced any burn-in?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not had my CX for 4 months yet so no burn in will have appeared yet. the screen quality is as good as it was out the box.

i do have a dead pixel in my top left corner though and what appears to be a dim pixel or a bit of dust at the bottom left. i can only see the dead pixel if i'm standing like a few feet away from the screen and the dim pixel/dust i literally need to press my face up to the screen to see it.

very happy with the TV. i got 5 year warranty so if anything does go wrong there's nothing to worry about.

edit: forgot i already posted in here lol. oh well.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Here are images taken from the RTing's burn in test. click on them for full image size. This was taken after 560 hours (23 days) of watching CNN at MAX brightness so worst case scenario and should be considered a torture test. there is only very very slight burn in at the middle:

real-burn-in-week-4-tv-3-gray-large.jpg

And here is from 840 hours in (35 days). you can faintly start to see the CNN logo at the bottom right

real-burn-in-week-6-tv-3-gray-large.jpg

and from 1120 hours (46 days) in. burn in is now significantly visible.

real-burn-in-week-8-tv-3-gray-large.jpg

This is the latest image taken after 14,280 hours (595 days) which is :

real-burn-in-week-102-tv-3-red-large.jpg

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST...
500 hours is nothing... I have my lg 27uk650 for a year and a half and already have 4500 hours.
And on pc, there are way more static elements. I would love to have oled but it would get destroyed by burn in

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’ve had a C9 since November 2019. Constantly on, Mrs watching her shows, kids on YouTube and me gaming. No issues whatsoever.

RTINGS did an extensive and exhaustive test on OLED and only in the most unrealistic scenarios did they get burn in, such as watching CNN 24 hrs a day for almost a year. They even had a call of duty gameplay on loop with the HUD for more than 6 months and they didn’t get burn in.

it is an exaggerated myth by QLED and LED peasants.

So people who experienced burn in are liars now?

Lying photoshopped oled burn in by oled peasants:
real-burn-in-week-40-tv-3-red-large.jpg

1034916iDF2FEA63E20501A8

c7_burn_in_small.jpg

images

images

0b713308-a17f-4112-aaf5-646a16307fe9.jpg

You get the picture. No need to post further I guess.
I've had two oled units. Never again because of this.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
500 hours is nothing... I have my lg 27uk650 for a year and a half and already have 4500 hours.
And on pc, there are way more static elements. I would love to have oled but it would get destroyed by burn in
read it again.

worst case scenario after 500-600 hours of watching CNN at max brightness that's when burn in started appearing. anyone who wants to run CNN max brightness 24/7 should not buy an OLED. if you don't abuse your TV like that then of course it will take longer for burn in to appear if it ever does. most people who use their TV normally won't get burn in.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So people who experienced burn in are liars now?

Lying photoshopped oled burn in by oled peasants:
real-burn-in-week-40-tv-3-red-large.jpg

1034916iDF2FEA63E20501A8

c7_burn_in_small.jpg

images

images

0b713308-a17f-4112-aaf5-646a16307fe9.jpg

You get the picture. No need to post further I guess.
I've had two oled units. Never again because of this.
to be fair those are extreme/faulty cases.

i've owned LOADS of OLED phones and never had burn in. on TVs it's a real risk so i ain't denying it but if they burned in that bad for everyone then LG (or anyone else) wouldn't be selling OLEDs.

use your tv sensibly (no i don't mean baby it) and chances are you won't get burn in.

The_Mike

to be fair those are extreme/faulty cases.

i've owned LOADS of OLED phones and never had burn in. on TVs it's a real risk so i ain't denying it but if they burned in that bad for everyone then LG (or anyone else) wouldn't be selling OLEDs.

use your tv sensibly (no i don't mean baby it) and chances are you won't get burn in.
I don't know man. As said I had two units with burn in, and known other people with burn in. The fear of burn in doesn't come from nothing.

It also makes sense, given the black color on a frame literally turns off the pixel to get a true black color, which means some pixels are getting used more than other, giving burn in.

I dont want to handle my TV sensibly, I want to god damn play games without having fear of breaking my monitor by using it properly.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Also wanted to add its not just burn in either. after a year the uniformity of the screen is just shot.

Last edited:

Deanington

My main concern is my wife. She'll put on Amazon streaming and then fall asleep. When I get back it's stagnant on the "Are you still watching?" Screen. You'd think app makers would be better about this by now.

I have to assume that there haves to be a power saving setting/idle tv/timer that turns the tv off? I sometimes see posts like this and wonder if its available or why nobody uses these features?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
read it again.

worst case scenario after 500-600 hours of watching CNN at max brightness that's when burn in started appearing. anyone who wants to run CNN max brightness 24/7 should not buy an OLED. if you don't abuse your TV like that then of course it will take longer for burn in to appear if it ever does. most people who use their TV normally won't get burn in.
oh right. I forgot about brigghtness. I like 120nit myself

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Fuck I think mine has burn in now. I have it for 3 years and suddenly I noticed while watching The Simpsons that in the middle they were green ish instead of yellow. When the screen is red or yellowish there is a round area in the middle.

Well that sucks.

Tygeezy

I got my lgc9 in November of 2019 and have over 2k hours on the set and have no burn in. I use pretty low brightness for sdr content (I use oled light of 25 to try and get about 100 nits peak brightness) I also try and use grey and smaller subtitles when I need them. I have an old apply iphone x that is still in rotation that also has no burn in.

Ulysses 31

Fuck I think mine has burn in now. I have it for 3 years and suddenly I noticed while watching The Simpsons that in the middle they were green ish instead of yellow. When the screen is red or yellowish there is a round area in the middle.

Well that sucks.
Noticed mine when I went to the eShop on Switch, the orange loading screen exposed that I played too much Dark Souls and Hyrule Warriors. :lollipop_confounded:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Noticed mine when I went to the eShop on Switch, the orange loading screen exposed that I played too much Dark Souls and Hyrule Warriors. :lollipop_confounded:

For me its right in the middle, a vague spot the size of about an apple. No clue what could have done that...

ethomaz

Banned
Too early to tell.

But I didn’t have with PLASMA in 9 years so I believe I won’t have with OLED too.

BTW I never actually saw burn-in… I saw in videos to know how it is but never in my TVs (all PLASMA and now the first OLED).

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
As the title asks - I'm thinking about dropping 2k on an OLED. Was at a Target yesterday shopping and noticed their single display OLED had some bad burn-in. This is my nightmare.

How are you faring with yours? I don't want to have to nurture my electronics.
buy a reliable brand.
my cx will last for years

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm expecting it eventually. The question is just how long. I've even had LCD tv like my ks8500 get "burn in" (although that's partially because I stupidly leave it on 24/7 with tinycam showing surveillance cameras)

With a PC I try to minimize it by making the background black, black screen saver set to 1 minute, limit browsing and other apps with static menus, play sdr games with reduced brightness if the graphics don't matter that much. Some indie games I'll play in a window and move it around sometimes (lol). It's probably bad that I play a lot of Total War: Warhammer II which is full of static menus so I put brightness on that down below 50%

Jigga117

Nope C9 77in & 55in. i would be more worried about power surges vs getting retention or burn in. Either way geek squad covers both

Last edited:

Keihart

don't let the news on all day , don't set the light to 100 unless hdr and stop playing cod every couple of hours.

No burn in here, 2 yeral old OLED.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
None. I've got an older 2015 ce930v or something - the curved 3d model and a year old CX. Don't see any sign of any issues on either set. I've played games and watched TV/movies as normal and just made sure to leave them plugged in so they can refresh pixels etc.

Bartski

Gold Member
Absolutely zero burn-in after almost 3 years of daily heavy use on games full of static HUDs, often binging through weekends of 15hrs straight and more. Phillips.
It really sucks for 30 fps input, will be upgrading to LG next year.

llien

Yes, got some banding (green) after running forced full screen refresher several times in a row. (never again)
LG W7 65"

Was lucky that LG has replaced it for free (it was older than 2 years)

Last edited:

Ywap

No image retention for me.

I mostly use it for gaming with hdr and bfi enabled. Had this B9 for 1.5 years.

My main concern is my wife. She'll put on Amazon streaming and then fall asleep. When I get back it's stagnant on the "Are you still watching?" Screen. You'd think app makers would be better about this by now.
True. Would love for LG to work together with all the app makers for an OLED mode. I know that OLED burn-in does happen while also being an overblown issue, but I don't worry about my own usage as much as I do my girlfriend. Always on the YouTube app with some Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime sprinkled in. Still leaning overall to a mini-led set because of this. 55' Samsung QN90A is on my list but I'm not liking the reviews as it relates to blooming. Especially off-axis. I'm in no rush considering I still don't have a next-gen console. Currently waiting on the new TCL 6 series to drop and hope it reviews well.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Absolutely zero burn-in after almost 3 years of daily heavy use on games full of static HUDs, often binging through weekends of 15hrs straight and more. Phillips.
It really sucks for 30 fps input, will be upgrading to LG next year.
That's not the tvs fault.

lachesis

C7 for past 3 years or so? Not that I know of.

I only run it on cinema mode, when watching movies and so. Usually the cinema mode is pretty dark.
On gaming mode, I match the colors to the cinema setting. HDR does kick in, so maybe it's no use - but I don't like overly bright screens anyway.

Sometimes I forget to turn it off - and it would dim itself down or go into screen saver mode. Still very very happy with picture quality, but I am thinking about getting smaller CX for gaming only purpose.

After about 3 years my B8 has a very faint burn-in corresponding to the black bars on letterbox movies. I watch a lot of movies. But I can only see it with test patterns, I can't detect it with normal content. I guess in a few more years it will be visible with normal content.

Not a big deal, I will buy another when the time comes.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
After about 3 years my B8 has a very faint burn-in corresponding to the black bars on letterbox movies. I watch a lot of movies. But I can only see it with test patterns, I can't detect it with normal content. I guess in a few more years it will be visible with normal content.

Not a big deal, I will buy another when the time comes.

Same model and years used as me then. Not sure why mine is fucked. Its not fair! Ill post a picture later.

TonyK

I have a LG CX and no burn in, but... pay attention to "vertical banding". That was the nasty surprise oled technology has and I didn't know until I get mine, and the main reason I probably will return to led for my next TV.

Bryank75

Banned
No, the only thing burning is me after an hour in the room with that space heater.

Jesus, the thing generates heat like crazy!

TAS

Zero issues with my 55CX (purchased last August) and I use it both for console gaming and as a PC monitor. I was petrified of burn in issues before buying but in retrospect, my fears were completely unwarranted. Just use common sense (don't let it run with static icons/images for hours everyday) and you will be A-Ok. 👍

buenoblue

I had slight burn in on my 4 year old oled from rocket league, not really noticeable but it's there. My friend has burn on hisfrom subtitles 2017 model I believe. If you change your tv every couple of years you'll be fine but if you want it to last 5-7 years I'd seriously think about it x

Top Bottom