• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olgierd is the true "villain" of Hearts of Stone (Witcher 3 SPOILERS!)

The world of the Witcher is that of moral greys, there usually isn't a cookie-cutter villain and when there is they tend to have understandable motivations. Even in the main story Eredin is only doing what he is doing to save his people from The White Frost. Now, Hearts of Stone is probably the greatest DLC I have ever played and also probably one of the best gaming stories ever. But, in my mind, as far as a central villain for that DLC goes I believe that Olgierd is the true villain not Gaunter O'Dimm. Honestly, I've seen a lot of love for this character on GAF which prompted me to make this thread as I do not see how anyone can see him as a "good" person, let alone lovable. I think a lot of people are confused or forget certain aspects of his character, chalking up his faults to Gaunter.

Let's recap:

Olgierd Von Everec, before his run-in with Gaunter, was the eldest son of a declining noble family. He and his younger brother were essentially bandits, pillaging and raping their way through whichever town and village they liked. At some point, Olgierd fell in love with Iris, a more prominent noblewomen, but his family's debts caught up to him and her family didn't want to marry her off to a pauper and tried instead to marry her to an Ofieri prince who liked her. Olgierd became enraged and jealous at the prince, and already a student of the Dark Arts, turned him into a monstrous toad and preventing the marriage from happening.

Now, in order to win back Iris and his family's fortune he turns to Gaunter O'Dimm whom he had learned about through his dabbling in Dark Magic. This is the important part, Olgierd knew what he was getting into when he decided to deal with Gaunter, he knew the cost of the deal and the price he would have to pay. The first part being that he had to sacrifice his brother's life for the contact and the second being that once his wishes were granted his soul would be the final payment. Gaunter knowing this accepted because he believed he could literally outsmart the devil incarnate. He believed he could do this by inserting the clause about the moon in the contract and later the impossible tasks he asks of Geralt.

Thus, to clarify Olgierd was already a selfish, murderous, raping, asshole BEFORE he met and dealt with Gaunter. What he wished from Gaunter was for his fortune to be restored so he could marry Iris and to "live like there is no tomorrow" granting him immortality. But, his immortality turned his heart to "stone" as he quickly began to lose feeling for those around him, including Iris. The thing is we are never given a clear answer as to whether Gaunter's wish slowly sapped him of emotion or if his own guilt over his brother coupled with the fact that death was now meaningless to him turned him that way. Though either way it doesn't matter because he willingly went into the pact and was already a bastard before the wish. He just became even more cold and uncaring for others have Gaunter's dealing.

Any way, the point is that Gaunter's actions led him into the predicament the player finds him in during HoS and his main goal throughout the DLC is trying to cheat himself out of the consequences of the contact he signed. While Gaunter O'Dimm appears to be evil incarnate he for the most part does not directly screw with people, except for the spoon guy. Instead, he deals mostly in pacts. He gives people the free choice of entering into compacts with them and their own rotten natures are revealed through their choices. Thus, to me I merely saw him as a force of nature doing what he's supposed to do, meanwhile Olgierd is the true evil because he willingly chose to do the actions he did knowing the pain and suffering they would cause.

To that end I believe that HoS is asking you what is truly evil and what is the lesser of two evils? This debate is mirrored within the Borsodi plot line. At the end you have to choose which brother to side with and thus which one will die. But, neither brother could be considered a good person. Yet, Horst Borsodi merely did what his job was, to collect debts, much like a certain merchant of mirrors. He only ousted his brother because he squandered the family wealth but he never tried to kill Ewald. On the other hand, Ewald was motivated by pure greed and jealousy at no longer being the head of the household. He attempted to kill his brother, in addition to having no qualms killing guards and taking hostages, to reclaim his status and wealth. Even when you side with Horst he initially tries to spare Ewald if he recognizes him as Head of the House but Ewald instead tries to kill him and thus he himself is killed. A choice between the two is essentially asking which do you believe is the true evil person? For me I believed Ewald to be the true evil whereas Horst displayed more humanity.

Likewise, at the end of HoS we are asked the same question again, who is truly more evil Gaunter or Olgierd? For me, the choice was simple Olgierd. He did everything for his own pure selfish needs and cared nothing at all for the pain, suffering, and dead bodies he left in his wake. And, when those actions finally caught up to him he tried to cheat away his own doom. Gaunter, on the other hand, was just a force of nature plying his trade and enforcing an agreed upon contract. To me true evil is doing something you know is wrong but don't care because of your own selfish reasons or leaps of logic. Whereas, an individual that does evil acts but doesn't know any better is not. For example, a sociopath that kills people I don't really believe a evil, they literally do not know any better. Instead, I view them as sick whereas someone like Hitler is a truly evil person because he was perfectly "sane" and chose to wipe out a race of people.

Olgierd is the Heart of Stone and a true example of evil. Gaunter, the master of mirror, merely showed us a reflection of Olgierd's true nature.

I don't think many people would argue he is a good person. From my own personal perspective it just felt like he had suffered enough for his past misdeeds and deserved a shot at redemption.

I also completely disagree with the notions that sociopaths aren't evil. They are the purest form of evil.

I agree OP, that's why I served his ass up to Gaunter O'Dimm. Didn't feel remorseful then or now. He got what he deserved

Except for the part about sociopaths. They're evil. I believe Gaunter is like a God of Evil. If you're voluntarily under his rule, don't tell me God isn't just.

tuxfool

Banned
Gaunter O'Dimm sticks a wooden spoon into random person's eye. You also see evidence of his wrongdoing in all sorts of other places.

Everec is an asshole and I did let O'dimm take his soul. This thread reminded me I had to look up the alternate ending and while the new area you're tossed into seems cool I think it cheapens the mystery around O'dimm a bit.

Guesong

Gaunter literally imprisons the old scholar in a circle "for his physical protection" by making it so that if he steps even one foot outside, he will die.

Then decides to mentally torment the poor scholar.

Olgierd was a prick. Arguably still is. Gaunter is literally evil itself ; the scholar didn't ask to be in any pact with Gaunter, as far as I recall. Scholar was asked by Olgierd to help him, delve into the lore of Gaunter, finds out he's Evil, Gaunter finds out, pays him a visit, and doomed he goes.

Flipyap

His backstory doesn't make him the villain of the story unfolding in present tense. During Hearts of Stone he's a brainwashed puppet of a "Chaotic Evil" genie monster.
Despite the terrible things he might have done (and so did many of Geralt's buddies and love interests, so he probably shouldn't be casting too many stones around here), Olgierd was still just a human being filled with regrets about his past... contrasted with a magical monster who only wants to manipulate people, cause suffering and kill them for fun. No, Olgierd isn't the true villain of that story.

It's always fascinating how folks gloss over what gaunter did to Shakeslock.

Olgierd is/was cruel, evil and selfish, yes, but still firmly in human terms. The evil he can and has committed is nothing compared to what Gaunter does on the reg.

Denying Gaunter olgierd's skull wasn't even about saving olgierd. It was about getting rid of gaunter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Gaunter O'Dimm was basically the devil incarnate or whatever the Witcherverse version of that is. Dude has powers beyond compare to most anything in any of the Witcher games. You're basically fucked if you ever come across him except for that rare exceptional soul who can outsmart him which apparently Geralt was one of those people. Otherwise Gaunter takes your soul even if you made the most outlandish conditions to the deal like Olgierd saying they would finish their's on the moon.

Olgierd is a bad guy who did a lot of terrible shit but its not like he really ever got anything out of it. It was raw deal from day 1 and we already see Olgierd doesn't really consider his words wisely after he turned a random prince into a giant Toad with a passing curse.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Olgierd is human evil.

O'Dimm is true, unfiltered (albeit very carefully put together) evil.

Hearts of Stone is good because we get a nuanced bad guy and a big bad evil guy, and they play off of each other so well.

CHC

Well yeah, that's why O'Dimm was a vendor of mirrors - his actions only reflect the nature of those who request them.

Chumley

Banned
Gaunter O'Dimm was basically the devil incarnate or whatever the Witcherverse version of that is. Dude has powers beyond compare to most anything in any of the Witcher games. You're basically fucked if you ever come across him except for that rare exceptional soul who can outsmart him which apparently Geralt was one of those people. Otherwise Gaunter takes your soul even if you made the most outlandish conditions to the deal like Olgierd saying they would finish their's on the moon.

Olgierd is a bad guy who did a lot of terrible shit but its not like he really ever got anything out of it. It was raw deal from day 1 and we already see Olgierd doesn't really consider his words wisely after he turned a random prince into a giant Toad with a passing curse.

That, and Gaunter basically just fucked off when Geralt outsmarted him. Guarantee he's coming back whenever Witcher 4 comes out.

Buntabox

You aren't really supposed to feel one is good or bad, as others have said. The point being that the player can choose to condemn a man to eternity of pain for his past actions or give him another chance by defending him from O'Dimm. It's a personal preference.

And don't be mistaken, O'Dimm is the type that tricks people into what he wants. He will pull strings until he has his way. The game is the fun part to him, not receiving the soul at its result.

To be fair you aren't actually getting rid of ODimm. He is far too powerful to be killed. I believe he actually is in the background of Blood and Wine which I think canonically comes after.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just wanted to add that I think the "good" ending is straight bullshit and completely deflates any mystery shrouding the expansion. Here is this being, Gaunter, who for all intents and purposes is Evil personified--a power so vast that even Geralt is unnerved by its presence. It's a bold goddamn message to the player when we see stone-cold, hard-assed motherfucker Geralt shaking in his boots. We are led to believe that this guy (Guanter) is the real deal. That is, unless you strive for the "good" ending and this whole story is flopped on its head with a stupid-ass Alice in Wonderland mission that makes Gaunter look like a lame idiot.

The "bad" ending is beautiful and haunting. It shows the incredible power of Gaunter and what happens to the people who get involved with him without unraveling some of the mystery behind it and the person, leaving the whole experience an intense roller coaster ride for not only the player but also in terms of cannon, Geralt. Gaunter leaves superior to everyone just the way he's made out to be since the onset of the DLC, and he leaves Geralt just as uninformed and confused as Geralt ought to be because he is completely out of his element. But that's the absolute beauty of the story, and why it is in my opinion the best DLC I have ever played!

Well yeah, that's why O'Dimm was a vendor of mirrors - his actions only reflect the nature of those who request them.

zS5ZENJ.gif

The thing about O'Dimm is about the illusion of choice of his victims. Take Geralt for example. Geralt ending up in that boat being sent off to be killed, I am a hundred percent sure O'Dimm had something to do with it, he manipulates everything and everyone from the background. He pretty much put Geralt in a situation where he was FORCED to get into a contract with him. Who's to say he didn't do the same with Olgierd over the years?

Olgierd was a damn terrible human being, but he wasn't completely "on the other side" of the scale. He still had some kind of "morals" left, he still cared about people, even after his heart "turned to stone".

O'Dimm? A super powerful being that gives no single shit about humanity or anything. He's The Antagonist of everything. Not being his opponent, even if his current victim may deserve it, means you agree with his ways. Force of Nature? Nah, he actively fucks other people for fun, and hunger for souls. He gives you what you wished, now what you wanted.

Outsmarting a being like that, even if a small victory, is way more worth than letting a fucked up man having his soul consumed for fun.

Also, about the Horst brothers. Yes, one of them was probably going to waste all the inheritance in frivolous stuff. But so what? His brother stripped him of everything, made him live in the sewers, while completely ignoring their late father's last wish, to have both of them live in peace with each other. That's why I killed both of them, so the money is going to a hospital.

NotUS

Never thought of it that way, that's quite brilliant.

The fate of the spoon lady in Blood and Wine enforces that.

Olgierd is not the villain of the story. He's just one of the many shades of grey characters that live in Witcherverse. The fact that he regrets things he did was good enough for me. True sociopaths/psychopaths do not feel regret or understand the meaning of their actions. The fact is that he deeply loved Iris despite being a shitbag around her and killing her father, but that was because he was learning dark magic -- no excuse. His propensity for anger and flying off the handle combined with learning awful magickery was not a good combination.

Gaunter O'Dimm however, is Lucifer. Not the cool Lucifer you see in movies, but the asshole kind. He takes away this guy's soul just because

cQrl55T.jpg

His Smile fair as spring, as towards him he draws you
His tongue sharp and silvery as he implores you

Your wishes he grants, as he swears to adore you
Gold, silver, jewels he lay riches before you

Dues need be repaid, and he will come for you
All to reclaim, no smile to console you

He snare you with bonds, eyes glowin' afire
To gore and torment you till the stars expire

Read the lyrics. He looks for desperate beings, and in their most important time of need, binds them to a contract that they cannot get out of in exchange for their short-lived freedom. Remember, he bound Geralt to a contract as well. He looks down upon humans as worthless creatures bound by their desires
I'm no cheat. I give folk what they want, nothing more. That they oft desire unworthy things- that is entirely the fault of their rotten natures.
He's killed and taken lives of so many completely innocent folk through his satanic contracts. Now when he kills them, what does he do? He tortures them for eternity (To gore and torment you till the stars expire). Was Olgierd innocent? Maybe not, but who is O'Dimm to claim him, or anyone for that matter.

Geralt rightly rids the world of this great evil, because if anyone can murder an evil Time Lord diety, it's Geralt of Muddafuggin Rivia.

RPGam3r

Gaunter is straight up chaotic evil, no human is going to outweigh that. You missed the devil in the details, literally.

Kimawolf

Fuck Olgierd. he was a rapist, murdering scumbag who stole a manor, cursed a prince just because, and was going to have some guy killed. I gladly fed him to O'Dimm.

Odimm is right, he gives people what they want, not his fault people are evil and wish for material shit.

and O'Dimm is easily a god. no sorcerer or witch is close to a match to him. And the spoon guy, yeah just showed that O'Dimm is far above people.

While G.O.D as master mirror is basically reflecting other's deeds, he is reflecting them in a perverse way and he is indeed manipulating them. He gives them false hope or pretense that it will be all dandy in the end, of course for a select few like Geralt, the scholar, Olgierd and Regis who knows that there are no happy endings when making pacts with the devil.

Olgierd was just a bandit, who as last resort turned to dark arts and we all know what love makes us do. He is a terrible person, but by witcher standards he seems like the run of the mill bandit who actually had a taste of the high life and saw Iris as his redemption. But that obviously didn't end well because of the poor decisions he made. He could have eloped with Iris and everything would have been fine in the long run but he took the heavy risk. I would always pick defending Olgierd over G.O.D for all of my playthroughs.

HereticJ

I'm not going to get into who is most evil but having just played this, sparing Olgierd, I felt satisfied. Eliminating O'Dimm meant Olgierd's heart no longer being of stone. I felt the ending showed Olgierd as a man who now has to live with all his mistakes and all their ramifications after years of living in emotional ignorance. Regardless of the man of mirrors, Olgierd is fated to spend the rest of his days reflecting on losing those most important to him due to his actions. No punishment by Geralt or O'Dimm can hurt worse than that.

Landford

Banned
The best expansion to a game I ever played. Better than most games.

Also, I feel that letting Olgierd finnaly seeing all the consequences of his actions was far more punishing than being sent to hell to be tortured.

Gaunter was that affable evil until he shoved a spoon in a random innocent person because he was bored. That is just not going to fly with Geralt.

AU Tiger

I wasted no time letting Genie brah kill him.

Dude was a dick. Finding out how he treated his wife and his brother and then trying to come across as misunderstood looking for sympathy didn't phase me.

I wasted no time letting Genie brah kill him.

Dude was a dick. Finding out how he treated his wife and his brother and then trying to come across as misunderstood looking for sympathy didn't phase me.

He did start treating her badly after O'Dimm gave him a "heart of stone".

O'Dimm gets around. He is the helpful merchant in White Orchard. You also have to clean up more of his handiwork in B&W.

Hearts of Stone was the best narrative arc in the game for me.

His backstory doesn't make him the villain of the story unfolding in present tense. During Hearts of Stone he's a brainwashed puppet of a "Chaotic Evil" genie monster.
Despite the terrible things he might have done (and so did many of Geralt's buddies and love interests, so he probably shouldn't be casting too many stones around here), Olgierd was still just a human being filled with regrets about his past... contrasted with a magical monster who only wants to manipulate people, cause suffering and kill them for fun. No, Olgierd isn't the true villain of that story.

Agreed. You have to ignore the other acts of O'Dimm to innocent or not evil people to jump to that conclusion. Also, you may say he Olgierd is a bastard before he loses his heart but at least he seemingly felt love, and other emotions that normally define humans. Absent of that he becomes more like a monster and that is a result of O'Dimm deals. He always has a negative spin on his deals aimed to harm the person who makes the deal. O'Dimm is the real evil.

Olgierd is not the villain of the story. He's just one of the many shades of grey characters that live in Witcherverse. The fact that he regrets things he did was good enough for me. True sociopaths/psychopaths do not feel regret or understand the meaning of their actions. The fact is that he deeply loved Iris despite being a shitbag around her and killing her father, but that was because he was learning dark magic -- no excuse. His propensity for anger and flying off the handle combined with learning awful magickery was not a good combination.

Gaunter O'Dimm however, is Lucifer. Not the cool Lucifer you see in movies, but the asshole kind. He takes away this guy's soul just because

cQrl55T.jpg

His Smile fair as spring, as towards him he draws you
His tongue sharp and silvery as he implores you

Your wishes he grants, as he swears to adore you
Gold, silver, jewels he lay riches before you

Dues need be repaid, and he will come for you
All to reclaim, no smile to console you

He snare you with bonds, eyes glowin' afire
To gore and torment you till the stars expire

Read the lyrics. He looks for desperate beings, and in their most important time of need, binds them to a contract that they cannot get out of in exchange for their short-lived freedom. Remember, he bound Geralt to a contract as well. He looks down upon humans as worthless creatures bound by their desires

He's killed and taken lives of so many completely innocent folk through his satanic contracts. Now when he kills them, what does he do? He tortures them for eternity (To gore and torment you till the stars expire). Was Olgierd innocent? Maybe not, but who is O'Dimm to claim him, or anyone for that matter.

Geralt rightly rids the world of this great evil, because if anyone can murder an evil Time Lord diety, it's Geralt of Muddafuggin Rivia.

Well put.

I wouldn't say chaotic evil, there's definitely a purpose to his designs even if we don't really understand them.

HoS is so brilliant for a number of reasons, but one of the chief among them is the Witcher twist on the Faustian dilemma. Here you have a classic tale of man makes a deal with the devil, but the Witcher makes all sorts of comments about the moral ambiguity of actually dealing with a very real devil that can walk and talk and hang around at parties talking about gingerbread with old ladies. O'Dimm is less a classic devil character and more like something out of the Screwtape Letters - it's the devil that feels comfortable and familiar that is way more dangerous.

The Witcher books are at their best when they take an old fairy tale, inject some color and satire into them, and put them into this vast world where other such mixed up fairy tales can and do exist and often times co mingle. I really feel like CD Projekt hit both DLC's out of the park for nailing that kind of aesthetic each time.

I would agree with the idea of chaotic evil because despite him having purpose when a Victim is set in his targets, he also has ways of doing bad stuff to random people regardless of whether or not you can call them evil or good. Chaotic in terms of choosing Victims, purposeful in execution after victims are chosen.

lome88

Gaunter is straight up chaotic evil, no human is going to outweigh that. You missed the devil in the details, literally.

I wouldn't say chaotic evil, there's definitely a purpose to his designs even if we don't really understand them.

HoS is so brilliant for a number of reasons, but one of the chief among them is the Witcher twist on the Faustian dilemma. Here you have a classic tale of man makes a deal with the devil, but the Witcher makes all sorts of comments about the moral ambiguity of actually dealing with a very real devil that can walk and talk and hang around at parties talking about gingerbread with old ladies. O'Dimm is less a classic devil character and more like something out of the Screwtape Letters - it's the devil that feels comfortable and familiar that is way more dangerous.

The Witcher books are at their best when they take an old fairy tale, inject some color and satire into them, and put them into this vast world where other such mixed up fairy tales can and do exist and often times co mingle. I really feel like CD Projekt hit both DLC's out of the park for nailing that kind of aesthetic each time.

edit:
O'Dimm gets around. He is the helpful merchant in White Orchard. You also have to clean up more of his handiwork in B&W.

Hearts of Stone was the best narrative arc in the game for me.

Sort of canonically within the game/DLC's, you enter B&W after completing the rest of the base game and HoS. I noticed that not only do you find that one location with the woman turned into a wight that is apparently another viction of O'Dimm, but I found a strange number of spoons just all over the map. It's really eerie considering that O'Dimm says in his devil-tongue that he is not gone and that he will be back. I like to think it's a little wink and a nudge that Gaunter O'Dimm is really, in fact, keeping an eye on Geralt on the last leg of the journey.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's a real crime that this expansion was not discussed more in enthusiast media over the last year. I know most journos didn't finish W3 and couldn't fathom jumping into a DLC, but its still criminal that this DLC was barely a blip or most were completely unaware of how exceptional Hearts of Stone was.

Curious, did you save Olgierd at the end or no?

Let Gaunter take his soul, of course. They made a contract and Olgierd knew what he was getting into. No sympathy,

Olgierd is human evil.

O'Dimm is true, unfiltered (albeit very carefully put together) evil.

Hearts of Stone is good because we get a nuanced bad guy and a big bad evil guy, and they play off of each other so well.

And, that is where people tend to not understand or where my point comes in. There is no true evil BUT human evil. Gaunter is the LITERAL personification of evil, he cannot be killed, he cannot be harmed, he cannot be banished. You can perhaps outsmart him once but you cannot make him go away forever. Why? Because evil exists within the heart's of men and so long as humans exist there will always be evil.

Again, Gaunter reflects the hearts of his victims, he tempts the evil inside of men, so long as the temptation always exists so will he. Thus, it is foolish to believe that you are preventing this greater evil from roaming about by defeating O'Dimm, he will always come back. So again, to me the true villain is Olgierd. He was an evil bastard before he met O'Dimm, willingly entered into a selfish contact knowing the price, and then tried to cheat out the consequences because he didn't want to lose his soul/life. Why in fucks name should I feel sympathy for him because he regrets his actions? Would we be okay saving Hitler because he regretted the Holocaust? Fuck him and fuck Olgierd.

Also about the sociopath comment, I stand by it. As I said I believe true evil is doing an immoral act with the knowledge that it is wrong. A sociopath does not have this knowledge, it doesn't know any better because they have a mental defect. Thus, to me they are not evil. It's kind of like saying a bear (or any wild animal) is evil for attacking/killing a person. A wild animal, as far as we know, doesn't understand things like morality it just knows how to survive. An animal is not attacking or eating you because it doesn't like you, it's simply doing what it does, surviving.

Gaunter just does what he does, Olgierd knows what he is doing is wrong and does it any way.

Both were pretty shitty. I saved olgierd not because I thought he deserved it, but to show gaunter that he does not in fact have control over everything, particularly Geralt.

I agree with everything you said and yet I still sided with Olgierd. To me, a purely chaotic god who can do anything it wants is something that should be stopped even if it means sparing such a despicable man. I also found Olgierd's fate at that end fitting since he gets to live out the rest of his natural days filled with pain and regret. I can't remember much of the details of why I thought that but that was what I was thinking at the time.

Let Gaunter take his soul, of course. They made a contract and Olgierd knew what he was getting into. No sympathy,

And, that is where people tend to not understand or where my point comes in. There is no true evil BUT human evil. Gaunter is the LITERAL personification of evil, he cannot be killed, he cannot be harmed, he cannot be banished. You can perhaps outsmart him once but you cannot make him go away forever. Why? Because evil exists within the heart's of men and so long as humans exist there will always be evil.

Again, Gaunter reflects the hearts of his victims, he tempts the evil inside of men. So long as the temptation always exists so will he. Thus, it is foolish to believe that you are preventing this greater evil from roaming about by defeating O'Dimm, he will always come back. So again, to me the true villain is Olgierd. He was an evil bastard before he met O'Dimm, willingly entered into a selfish contact knowing the price, and then tried to cheat out the consequences because he didn't want to lose his soul/life. Why in fucks name should I feel sympathy for him because he regrets his actions? Would we be okay saving Hitler because he regretted the Holocaust? Fuck him and fuck Olgierd.

Also about the sociopath comment, I stand by it. As I said I believe true evil is doing an immoral act with the knowledge that it is wrong. A sociopath does not have this knowledge, it doesn't know any better because they have a mental defect. Thus, to me they are not evil. It's kind of like saying a bear (or any wild animal) is evil for attacking/killing a person. A wild animal, as far as we know, doesn't understand things like morality it just knows how to survive. It's not attacking or eating you because it doesn't like you, it's simply doing what it does, surviving.

Gaunter just does what he does, Olgierd knows what he is doing is wrong and does it any way.

It is human to succumb to our worst temptations, but that does not define a person in their entirety. If every person was judged good or evil by their worst actions then you would consider alot of people in this world evil. That is just a twisted way of looking at things.

To blame the person being taken advantage of instead a being like gunter who sets situations up and then preys upon desperate people, that is a persistent type of evil that really no human ever really does. Even sociopaths have some sort of pattern and means of checking (even if it is totally twisted to the rest of us). Gunter aims for everyone, and doesn't care and he literally hounds you the entire game.
Like I pointed out before, what evil does the professor do, to deserve that fate?

It is human to succumb to our worst temptations, but that does not define a person in their entirety. If every person was judged good or evil by their worst actions then you would consider alot of people in this world evil. That is just a twisted way of looking at things.

To blame the person being taken advantage of instead a being like gunter who sets situations up and then preys upon desperate people, that is a persistent type of evil that really no human ever really does. Even sociopaths have some sort of pattern and means of checking (even if it is totally twisted to the rest of us). Gunter aims for everyone, and doesn't care and he literally hounds you the entire game.

What? That is precisely what we as a society do, we judge people based on their actions. That's why prison exists. If another person kills another person we judge their action and if they are found guilty, with no suitable defense, we put them in jail, typically for the rest of their lives. Also, how was Olgierd taking advantage of? He willingly sought out Gaunter, he knew the exact price he was paying for the contact (his soul), he willingly sacrificed his brother to secure the contact, how is he NOT solely responsible for all of this?

Olgierd is only human. Evil, but still human. There is, at the very least, a capacity for more--even if it goes entirely wasted, it is still there.

Meanwhile, Gaunter O'Dimm is pure evil. He is the very essence of what Geralt fights against as a witcher--a monstrous creature without conscience, holding a great deal of power that he can, and will, use to harm others. There can be good, or at least an innocence, to the monsters inhabiting the Witcher's world, but Gaunter O'Dimm is not one of them; he ain't no troll, wild animal, (or human).

I can't fathom working with something so malevolent. Whether you want to see Olgierd punished or not, playing right into Gaunter's hands can only lead to further tragedy. The spoon scene really brought that thought home, but his machiavellian nature in general was already putting my Geralt firmly against him. So yeah, I spared Olgierd because that's what a witcher does: kills monsters, cures curses, and, in general, stands as a light against the darkness, even when enveloped by it himself.

What a legendary piece of DLC, man. It didn't just feel like a glimpse into that world, but a full, complete story, and an epic journey of its own. CDPR are incredible devs.

I feel the start of the expansion wants to you to think that Olgierd is the villain. When you go further into the expansion, you learn more about both Olgierd and O'Dimm and what they both want and you make the choice whether or not Olgierd deserves or not. In the end, O'Dimm was the bigger threat after learning more about him and what he can do.

Top Bottom