• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ thanks for that, never heard of it until now. That does suck.

I like the Game Shoppe much better, but that is a long drive for me. We really need a game store on the north side of town. Dragon's Lair is OK, but it's still a comic place, so games are only a second thought.

Palmer_v1

^ thanks for that, never heard of it until now. That does suck.

I like the Game Shoppe much better, but that is a long drive for me. We really need a game store on the north side of town. Dragon's Lair is OK, but it's still a comic place, so games are only a second thought.

I've heard rumors that Game Shoppe is doing well enough to open another branch somewhere. I'm assuming more West Omaha, then north, though.

What games do you play? We've got an Omaha Board Game group setup on facebook to arrange games outside of the normal locations/times.

I've heard rumors that Game Shoppe is doing well enough to open another branch somewhere. I'm assuming more West Omaha, then north, though.

What games do you play? We've got an Omaha Board Game group setup on facebook to arrange games outside of the normal locations/times.

That would be nice if they expanded; I'm cool with west O, but don't get out past 144th very often.

I don't play many games, just because my family isn't too keen on them. I don't care for MtG or other games where I need to pay monthly just to keep up with other players, and I don't have the patience/sanity for games that take longer than 4-5 hours, as I get exhausted fairly quick by that point.

Otherwise, I'm open to a lot. I would like to learn Netrunner, Illuminati, Suburbia, and some other popular ones.

If you want, PM me the Facebook info. Thanks for asking, too. :D

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Man, yesterday was big day for the Big Red. Women's BBall wins B1G tourney and Men's knock off #9 Wisconsin, get seed #4 in B1G tourney, and pretty much secure a NCAA tourney bid? Pinch me, I'm must be dreaming.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I've never given two shits about the b-ball team. How big of a douchebag would I be to jump on the bandwagon now? Scale of 1-10 pls

It's understandable if you've never been on; we've truly never been good. You're only a douchebag if you jump right back off. Good time to jump on, just better stay on.

Palmer_v1

I've never given two shits about the b-ball team. How big of a douchebag would I be to jump on the bandwagon now? Scale of 1-10 pls

Unrelated, but it looks like some of the displaced Dragon's Lair folk are hitting Game Shoppe as an alternative for now. Store has been very crowded lately.

I went to Benson for the first time this weekend. Hit up Beercade for a while, then the brewery, and finally Krieg or Kreug or something. That area is hipster central, but I had a good time. My Crazy Taxi skills have not diminished.

Thank you Based Dreamcast.

It's understandable if you've never been on; we've truly never been good. You're only a douchebag if you jump right back off. Good time to jump on, just better stay on.
its a strange sensation, because I caught myself getting excited that Nebraska could make the tournament... but then I was like, what right do I have to care?

I just compare it to football and imagining all the fair weathers jumping on if we made it to the championship or something. It would piss me off, I don't want to be that guy :(

I went to Benson for the first time this weekend. Hit up Beercade for a while, then the brewery, and finally Krieg or Kreug or something. That area is hipster central, but I had a good time. My Crazy Taxi skills have not diminished.

Kreug Park.

I really like the Benson area. Great restaurants, two breweries, Jake's (killer craft beer bar) and The Waiting Room.

Palmer_v1

So how crazy will it get if Creighton and NE play in round 3? I feel like they might as well declare it a holiday if it happens, cause nobody is going to get shit done.

Palmer_v1

Well if they both win they'd play on Sunday in San Antonio.

Ah, I was thinking it would be during the work week. I knew they weren't physically playing here, but everyone I know has plans to watch the Creighton games even at work.

krpiper

What up Omaha-GAF

I took a job in Omaha, upon graduating from college. I was born and raised in Iowa, and have family in Omaha (a big reason of why I am moving), they live in the Papillion region of town.

I don't drink much, but is there a darts league that I could get involved in? As well I love disc golf so how is the local scene for that?

Also are Runzas amazing like I hear they are?

Ominym

Banned

Can't speak to the other two questions, but I'm not a huge fan of the Runza. However, their fries/french onion dip are incredible. Burgers are good too. I'd recommend at least trying a Runza though and seeing if it's your thing.

Also, I took a Lyft car last night. It was pretty neat.

krpiper

Can't speak to the other two questions, but I'm not a huge fan of the Runza. However, their fries/french onion dip are incredible. Burgers are good too. I'd recommend at least trying a Runza though and seeing if it's your thing.

Also, I took a Lyft car last night. It was pretty neat.

My cousin said the same thing about the Runza as you, I have to go to Omaha in a few weeks to sign some papers, so might as well have one :)

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
What up Omaha-GAF

I took a job in Omaha, upon graduating from college. I was born and raised in Iowa, and have family in Omaha (a big reason of why I am moving), they live in the Papillion region of town.

I don't drink much, but is there a darts league that I could get involved in? As well I love disc golf so how is the local scene for that?

I live in Papillion, and can attest to it being a very nice relaxed suburb.

There is a disc golf course 5 minutes from Papillion, but they have just started redoing it, so it has torn up trees, and construction all over it. Still very playable and fun, but yeah... There are 2 other excellent courses in the area, one in north Omaha called Hummel Park. It is not your typical disc golf course, more like an adventure in climbing. The other is 25-30 minutes away in Council Bluffs at Iowa Western Community College.

Runzas are amazing and anyone who disagrees doesn't get it. Their burgers are also awesome for fast food. I would much rather get their double cheeseburger over a Five Guys or In-N-Out ANY DAY. But a Cheese Runza on a cold saturday in the fall ranks up there...

Who are you working for, UP? First Data? ConAgra? West? Berkshire Hathaway? If it isn't one of those five, I would be surprised!

EDIT:
whoops, hadn't checked out your response. Glad you enjoyed it!

FyreWulff

Man, what they're doing to Spring Lake Park is so weird. Grew up around there and used to romp around inside that forest, so hopefully the lagoon will help improve it. Gonna be trippy to see a pond where a baseball field used to be.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Man, what they're doing to Spring Lake Park is so weird. Grew up around there and used to romp around inside that forest, so hopefully the lagoon will help improve it. Gonna be trippy to see a pond where a baseball field used to be.

Played golf there a few times, but it was a shit course. Definitely some interesting changes going on with the parks around Omaha lately.

FyreWulff

Played golf there a few times, but it was a shit course. Definitely some interesting changes going on with the parks around Omaha lately.

Never played golf in there. They're not touching the golf course though anymore (from what I know), just the forest. Gonna be fishing and piers and bridges in there and stuff. It's crazy

Palmer_v1

A Marco's Pizza opened up down here in Bellevue, near Galvin and Cornhusker intersection. Guess it's a regional chain, and they have other locations in Omaha already. They seem to deliver, which is great, cause Bellevue kinda has shit for pizza choices.

Anyone tried them yet?

What are the better italian restaurants in town as well? The closer to Bellevue/Downtown the better.

A Marco's Pizza opened up down here in Bellevue, near Galvin and Cornhusker intersection. Guess it's a regional chain, and they have other locations in Omaha already. They seem to deliver, which is great, cause Bellevue kinda has shit for pizza choices.

Anyone tried them yet?

What are the better italian restaurants in town as well? The closer to Bellevue/Downtown the better.

http://www.losolemio.com/. Lo Sole Mio,one of the best authentic Italian places in town and right in that area.

krpiper

I live in Papillion, and can attest to it being a very nice relaxed suburb.

There is a disc golf course 5 minutes from Papillion, but they have just started redoing it, so it has torn up trees, and construction all over it. Still very playable and fun, but yeah... There are 2 other excellent courses in the area, one in north Omaha called Hummel Park. It is not your typical disc golf course, more like an adventure in climbing. The other is 25-30 minutes away in Council Bluffs at Iowa Western Community College.

Runzas are amazing and anyone who disagrees doesn't get it. Their burgers are also awesome for fast food. I would much rather get their double cheeseburger over a Five Guys or In-N-Out ANY DAY. But a Cheese Runza on a cold saturday in the fall ranks up there...

Who are you working for, UP? First Data? ConAgra? West? Berkshire Hathaway? If it isn't one of those five, I would be surprised!

EDIT:
whoops, hadn't checked out your response. Glad you enjoyed it!

My relatives actually live in Papillion, and I played there last weekend. Also how cool a disc golf vending machine!?

Hummel Park is on the to do list, it was a little far to drive though. And I took a job with Farmers Insurance, in their agent in training program. Their office is next to Cox near Costco on Dodge.

Ominym

Banned
It always makes me double-take when I see this thread on the front page.

If any of your guys like beer? I really recommend ZipLine brewery. It's a Lincoln-based brewery and I've enjoyed every beer I've had from them. Only complaint I have is I recently tried their summer brew and it really wasn't very different. Still good, but not different that any other their other stuff.

If you are looking for some good pizza near Papillion, I'd highly recommend Pizza West. It is at about 120th and Giles. It is now my favorite pizza. Also, right down the road is Lucky Bucket Brewery which has some pretty good brews and a nice tap room.

Jhriad

It always makes me double-take when I see this thread on the front page.

Same. It always puts a smile on my face to see the thread pop back up. I don't get back to Nebraska much so it's nice to have a little reminder of home occasionally (even if I'm not from the Omaha area).

Palmer_v1

If you are looking for some good pizza near Papillion, I'd highly recommend Pizza West. It is at about 120th and Giles. It is now my favorite pizza. Also, right down the road is Lucky Bucket Brewery which has some pretty good brews and a nice tap room.

Too far west, in general, but I'll try it if I get a chance. This town's penchant for expanding in only a single direction is really annoying.

Ominym

Banned
Same. It always puts a smile on my face to see the thread pop back up. I don't get back to Nebraska much so it's nice to have a little reminder of home occasionally (even if I'm not from the Omaha area).

As someone who will soon be leaving? You're not missing that much.

As they say, "Nebraska: It's a great place to be from."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
As someone who will soon be leaving? You're not missing that much.

As they say, "Nebraska: It's a great place to be from."

There's a huge difference between Omaha and probably Lincoln compared to western Nebraska. I recently met some people who lived out west and their concept of city life shocks the hell out of me. I prefer Omaha over the vast landscape of farm fields, meat packing plants, and interstates that lead absolutely nowhere.

If you visit Nebraska, travel to Omaha. I'd say it's the best place for shopping, eating, and over all quality. There's a lot more diversity here too.

Small town living ain't the life for me.

Ominym

Banned
There's a huge difference between Omaha and probably Lincoln compared to western Nebraska. I recently met some people who lived out west and their concept of city life shocks the hell out of me. I prefer Omaha over the vast landscape of farm fields, meat packing plants, and interstates that lead absolutely nowhere.

If you visit Nebraska, travel to Omaha. I'd say it's the best place for shopping, eating, and over all quality. There's a lot more diversity here too.

Small town living ain't the life for me.

I'm an Omaha native that went to Lincoln for college. Believe me, I have no interest in western Nebraska other than visiting every few years.

I am, however, moving to Arizona for graduate school in the fall. So I'll be interested to see if my opinion of Omaha changes.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I went and had my first Runza. It was awesome! I also had an order of Frings, the Fries were great the onion rings were cold and not very good :(

original

Cold rings suck. When the rings are hot, they're godlike, but that's one of the iffy-er things about Runza.

I'm in midtown so we missed the real bad part of this first storm but the clouds are CRAZY. hope folks in Iowa are OK, looks like it is dropping tornadoes now

Anyone tried them yet?

There is one like 5min from me in FL. They're in a lot for states. Figured they were local.

Oh and Go Houston. Go AAC. UCF snubbed!

Out in west O now, but missed the main part of the first few blasts. Went for a run between round 1 and 2, very nice break from all the humidity recently. Watching as round 3 approaches. I feel bad for Blair and those Iowa towns with the giant hail and wind damage.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
hey guys it's almost College World Series time

also, I'm dying for it to be later this summer when I'm coming home for a weekend so I can get some Bohemian Cafe... strong cravings for dumplings and sauerkraut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom