• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

North Omaha is flooded near 16th & Ames. They're sending boats out to rescue people. They're asking that if you own sandbags, to bring them to the area for use.

Eppley is shut down and the roads to it are underwater as well. I'm guessing Carter Lake jumped it's banks or is really, really high

What up Omaha-GAF

I took a job in Omaha, upon graduating from college. I was born and raised in Iowa, and have family in Omaha (a big reason of why I am moving), they live in the Papillion region of town.

Also are Runzas amazing like I hear they are?

Welcome to Omaha! Runzas are good but I've never understood why people say they are amazing haha. Try one and see what you think. I prefer their burgers myself. Their fries are amazing though!

zomaha

I live off 93rd and Center, we usually lose internet and/or power in strong storms but we survived without a scratch

Welcome to Omaha! Runzas are good but I've never understood why people say they are amazing haha. Try one and see what you think. I prefer their burgers myself. Their fries are amazing though!

This person knows. You will know if you like a Runza by the 3rd bite; by then you will have gotten through the end of the bun, and got a nice mouthful of the inside.

Love their burgers, and their fries. Sometimes, my lunch is a bowl of their chili and a large fry. I dip the fries in, or will just mix them both up. Totally unhealthy, but so good.

Palmer_v1

Friend in Blair sent me some pics of his car dented to hell, and back windshield busted out from the hail. He lies in an apartment building and had nowhere to hide from it. I'm in Bellevue and just had strong winds and rain, but nothing too crazy.

Tried to leave work early and beat the storm, but so did everyone else. so it took like 40 minutes to drive from downtown to Bellevue.

I tried Marco's pizza finally. Kinda greasy, and not that much better than dominoes/PH/etc. Disappointed.

This person knows. You will know if you like a Runza by the 3rd bite; by then you will have gotten through the end of the bun, and got a nice mouthful of the inside.

I love Runzas. Was introduced to them by my wife about ten years ago now the first time I went back with her to meet her family. They're pretty similar to krauts that my mom made growing up.

Wife and daughter are headed to Omaha at the end of the month, but I'm staying home and going to Bend, OR instead. Flights from Seattle to Omaha are crazy expensive right now.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Look, the sky is trying to kill the CWS tourists again

Every single year, I swear!

I am going to the Monday night game so it better not get rained out!

Had a little bit of hail a minute ago, some of the hardest rain I have ever seen though. All you South O/Bellevueites, it is coming your way now, I am in Papillion!

FyreWulff

Well, disregard that underwater comment, although there's no standing water. Our basement has water in it, and of course someone put a cardboard box of stuff made out of paper where the water ran from the wall to the basement drain..

Next door basement took on water as well.

That was a HARD rain.

FyreWulff

Our front yard retaining wall just partially collapsed O_O

edit: the next door neighbors lost theirs entirely

working on pics

edit2: I'll have to wait for sunrise. The streetlight isn't enough light for my ipad to pick up anything.

edit3: daylight reveals the entire wall section was lost. other walls along the street have bulging.

u0LZe3nl.jpg

irvsOTrl.jpg

FyreWulff

Landlord JUST got done getting our roof replaced because it got wrecked in the last big storm.

I bet his insurance company is going to be happy today.

Holy crap, Wulf. Sorry to see that. I feel bad for anyone who has water damage in their home.

Speaking of CWS, we caught yesterday's game, before the rain out. Good game, but Vanderbilt got screwed.

Ominym

Banned
Yikes man, that's rough. My side of town didn't have much of an issue. Though an area by my place did have flooding so high it went up to the windows on a Tahoe and I saw a picture of the driver standing on top of it.

Our front yard retaining wall just partially collapsed O_O

edit: the next door neighbors lost theirs entirely

working on pics

edit2: I'll have to wait for sunrise. The streetlight isn't enough light for my ipad to pick up anything.

edit3: daylight reveals the entire wall section was lost. other walls along the street have bulging.

u0LZe3nl.jpg

irvsOTrl.jpg

Wow thats crazy,sorry to hear. My job requires me to drive to different locations around town and last night I saw all kinds of devastation,trees that fell on cars and houses,large power outages,flooded streets you name it,was surreal!

Id like to suggest a few more eateries for the OP

North O
Time out Chicken - Awesome fried chicken,homemade pies and sides
Jims Rib Haven - All BBQ,all good! My favorite BBQ in town,everyones gotta try em.
Surfside Club - Awesome fried fish and hush puppies! Sits right off the river and occasionally boats cruise by and you get flashed by girls lol.

West O
Pudgie's Pizza - Best Deep Dish Pizzas here. Homemade sausages,pizza dough,sauce.
Cilantro's - Great Mexican food
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Johnnys Italian Steakhouse
Kona Grill - Awesome menu,excellent happy hour specials
Big Freds Pizza - The original hamburger pizza is god tier!
Summer Kitchen/Garden Cafe - Potato Casseroles!!!!
Texas Roadhouse
Cheddar's

Midtown
Caribbean Delight - Bomba authentic Jamaican food- Jerk Chicken,Goat,Beef ribs,Beef patties pies
Dundee Dell - Delicious battered fish and chips.
Greek Islands
Charelston's - Everything is good,especially the ribs.

Downtown/Old Market
801 Chophouse - Fine dining at its best..
Jazz:Louisiana Kitchen - Best Cajun Creole foods in town.
Sullivans - Great food,awesome happy hour specials,live Jazz bands. Very baller and chill
Blue Sushi - If you like sushi I hear its the best in town

Wow thats crazy,sorry to hear. My job requires me to drive to different locations around town and last night I saw all kinds of devastation,trees that fell on cars and houses,large power outages,flooded streets you name it,was surreal!

Id like to suggest a few more eateries for the OP

North O
Time out Chicken - Awesome fried chicken,homemade pies and sides
Jims Rib Haven - All BBQ,all good! My favorite BBQ in town,everyones gotta try em.
Surfside Club - Awesome fried fish and hush puppies! Sits right off the river and occasionally boats cruise by and you get flashed by girls lol.

West O
Pudgie's Pizza - Best Deep Dish Pizzas here. Homemade sausages,pizza dough,sauce.
Cilantro's - Great Mexican food Eh, not impressed
Cheeseburger in Paradise Eh, not impressed
Johnnys Italian Steakhouse
Kona Grill - Awesome menu,excellent happy hour specials
Big Freds Pizza - The original hamburger pizza is god tier!
Summer Kitchen/Garden Cafe - Potato Casseroles!!!!
Texas Roadhouse Eh, not impressed
Cheddar's Eh, not impressed

Midtown
Caribbean Delight - Bomba authentic Jamaican food- Jerk Chicken,Goat,Beef ribs,Beef patties pies
Dundee Dell - Delicious battered fish and chips. Pitch, Mark's and Dario's are all better than the Dell.
Greek Islands
Charelston's - Everything is good,especially the ribs.
Crescent Moon - Awesome beer, great bar food
California Taco
Chicago Dog - Whatever you get, get it "Hot and Wet"

Downtown/Old Market
801 Chophouse - Fine dining at its best..
Jazz:Louisiana Kitchen - Best Cajun Creole foods in town.
Sullivans - Great food,awesome happy hour specials,live Jazz bands. Very baller and chill
Blue Sushi - If you like sushi I hear its the best in town

Benson:
Lot 2
Mantra
Jake's
Beercade

Downtown:
M's Pub
The Blatt

West O:
I'll give you Kona...HAPPY HOUR ONLY!

Time to edit...
See bold above...

Fyre, bummer about the rain damage. I watched the whole thing come through from an apartment above Urban Outfitters. It was crazy to see that come across. My place in Dundee was fine, other than the wind blowing over all my hop trellises...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Anyone interested in an Omaha/Lincoln/East Nebraska meet-up sometime? It's been a year since my last meet-up when I lived in California and I'm itching to go out and do something with folks.

FyreWulff

I'm up for it, although I move to Portland in July and will be sporadically visiting Nebraska for at least the next couple of years.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm up for it, although I move to Portland in July and will be sporadically visiting Nebraska for at least the next couple of years.

Well then, that's probably a good deadline for us.

I'm in Lincoln, but I can swing a visit on a weekend the best. If you weren't leaving so soon I would've maybe sugggested a NeoGAF Tailgate meet-up for a Husker game. Maybe we can do something like that September.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nebraska authorities mistakenly released more than 300 criminals from prison early and are trying to track the two dozen they want to put back in jail, state officials said on Friday.

Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman said 306 inmates were released before their time expired because corrections officials used a faulty formula to calculate time off for good behavior for sentences of prisoners with mandatory minimum terms.

http://news.yahoo.com/nebraska-releases-prisoners-mistake-tries-back-173531957.html

Hope everyone stays safe.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, if they have minimum sentences I think they need served, but on the other hand, given the circumstances, it's not fair for Nebraska to say "Okay, you're free to go! Be good now you rascals!" and then turn around after the fact and go "Whoopsie-daisy! We fucked up! Back into the clink you go! How'd that taste of freedom feel, suckers?" I feel there's a 8th Amendment civil rights case in the works here, honestly. And Davie-boy won't tell us when they were released? Fuck that. So you're telling me a dude could be a freeman for several years potentially and you want to lock him up again because you guys fucked up? Uh-uh, no way, Jose.

Im hella down,never had a meetup with online friends before.

I did two small ones at bars in Mountain View and one big meet-up in San Francisco. They were awesome. I was thinking when it get's time to plan we should put up an OT topic and try to elicit some GAFfers who aren't necessarily Omaha folk (or Lincolnites like myself), but are close enough that they could make the trip if they wanted.

FyreWulff

Man, some of the firework stands want TONS of money for their stuff.

But at least the whole street is having fun blowing things up now.

krpiper

I have a job interview in Council Bluffs Tuesday at a marketing firm!

Should I look at living in Omaha or CB? or any suggestions with that

Palmer_v1

My wife works in CB and commutes from Omaha/Bellevue. Takes about 20 minutes. I'd suggest Omaha.

Where are you from?

krpiper

My wife works in CB and commutes from Omaha/Bellevue. Takes about 20 minutes. I'd suggest Omaha.

Where are you from?

I posted earlier this summer in this thread but that initial job fell through, but I am from the North Iowa area, 2 hours north of DSM

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!

You will find that Omaha isn't full of mouth-breathing inbreds like CB is...

Joking of course, but when I moved back to the area, I flat out couldn't find anywhere I would be comfortable in on CB. Omaha just had more of everything that is good about the area.

Where are you interviewing, if you don't mind me asking?

krpiper

So I didn't get the job, but thats okay as I read some shady things.

Long story short, I went to make copies of my resume and I saw a grocery store to stop in...a No Frills (the one in CB on Broadway), I was looking for Hy-Vee (of course there is one two blocks down the street)

I am making copies and two people get into a fistfight and exchange punches. The strangest part? No one in the store seemed to be phased. I am from a town of 1200, so if that happened we would be talking about it for a long time!

I left.

Kwixotik

Yall know any place/event that might be fun tonight? I'm stuck in Omaha for the night because I missed my flight. Going to Beercade if nothing else

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yeah just want to chill, not party hard lol. I forgot my girlfriend brought her dog with her though so we're trying to find a dog friendly place

You could come down and hang out with me in Lincoln so I could thank you again for your SS gift last Christmas :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom