• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'On the Sexiness of Mermaids' rejected for publication because of. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

"religious intolerance."

Excerpts from the first draft: http://ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30149

I was confused at first, until I remembered that there's frickin' Scientologist bashing in it. Drats. I'm debating rewriting the ending, but I might just drop it for now and work on something else. Frustration. Guess I could send it out to someone else.

It's bad enough having to get up for work at 330AM, but then to come home to this? Where's the Bloody Mary mix?

Who did you submit it to? Why on earth would any publisher reject it for that reason?

That said, of all of the non-Christian cults, Scientologists are the most likely to sue a publisher for perceived defamation, and thanks to the money of their Hollywood cronies, they're likely to succeed.

Jim Bowie

Add a disclaimer?

There are shit tons of books with religious intolerance. I can't believe they'd reject it on that. Needless to say, I really like your writing style, and it'd be a shame to see that go to waste.

Keep tying, White Man. You'll get one.

Iceman

jeez, how much scientology bashing?

Could you just replace the words "scientology" with "terrorism" and "L. Ron Hubbard" with "Usama Bin Laden"?.. that should get you published anywhere.

Heck, I should try that on my grants.

karasu

That sucks. Blasted scientologists.

I've always wondered why mermaids were suppossed to be sexy. I mean, you can't exactly fuck a fish.

belgurdo

Banned
The Church of Scientology is known for being litigious, and the publisher is probably scared of losing a couple million fending off frivolous suits

olimario

Banned
senator.gif

White Man

Iceman said:
jeez, how much scientology bashing?

Could you just replace the words "scientology" with "terrorism" and "L. Ron Hubbard" with "Usama Bin Laden"?.. that should get you published anywhere.

Heck, I should try that on my grants.

It's maybe a half page of material, out of 22 pages, and it's mostly dialogue. When I was writing it, I really avoided any blatant bashes because I figured it's a passè topic anyway. It's nothing so major that it would harm the piece if it were removed. . .it's just a really odd thing to complain about.

Iceman

That sounds pretty weak.

I mean, who doesn't at least inadvertently bash scientology every once in a while.

Silly.

White Man

border said:
Trivia: Out of the 44 women (about whom 88 lines were written), which one was a scientologist?

Judy!

I mean, who doesn't at least inadvertently bash scientology every once in a while.

Really. This is America. We're allowed to bash Scientologists and furries. They're the last openly bashable pigeonholes in society.

White Man

border said:
Haha, if you did that without Google then you should be proud of yourself. I could only remember that she was from Ohio.....but couldn't recall the name.

I did have to listen to the mp3. I'm a complete new wave junkie, but you can't really expect me to remember every one of those girls.

My curiosity is killing me imagining your scientology slander. Did you make fun of Xenu so now your manuscript sleeps with fishes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom