• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of six northern white rhinos left in the world dies at San Diego Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/1-of-6-white-rhinos-left-in-the-world-dies-at-san-diego-zoo-1.2148871
SAN DIEGO -- A northern white rhinoceros that zoo officials said was only one of six left in the world died Sunday at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

Angalifu, who was about 44 years old, apparently died of old age.

"Angalifu's death is a tremendous loss to all of us," safari park curator Randy Rieches said in a statement. "Not only because he was well beloved here at the park but also because his death brings this wonderful species one step closer to extinction."

His death leaves only one northern white rhino at the zoo -- a female named Nola -- one at a zoo in the Czech Republic and three in a preserve in Kenya.

Rhino horns are valued as dagger handles and are mistakenly seen as an aphrodisiac. As a result, poaching has pushed the critically endangered rhinos to the brink of extinction.

Attempts to mate Angalifu with Nola weren't successful.

Just last week, preservationists at the Old Pejeta animal sanctuary in Kenya conceded that their one male and two female northern white rhinos will not reproduce naturally. The animals were flown from the Czech zoo to the Kenyan conservancy in December 2009 in hopes the natural environment could be easier for them to breed there than in captivity.

Efforts will now be made to keep the species alive through in vitro fertilization. That experiment could take place with a southern white rhino surrogate mother. Southern white rhinos almost went extinct at the end of the 19th century, plunging down to only 20 at one point. Decades of conservation efforts gradually brought them back to life.

Thread from October about the previous death: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916579

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What are they going to do with its horn?

Very sad. Have they tried breeding the remaining five? Or are we just watching the clock?

dankir

Wow the human race is a terrible awful entity. We just kill, destroy everything and anything until it no longer exists.

Sad news. I guess there's an issue with trying to reproduce with only a pool of 5?

Well the fifth rhino feels awkward at movies and stuff when the other ones couple up. It's really just a sad situation. The other rhinos always try to set him up with friends, but he's just too damn proud.

Pyrrhus

I suppose if in vitro fails, at some point in the future when the technology has further improved, they could perhaps clone this subspecies and use southern white rhinos as surrogate mothers. I just hope they have more samples than just the remaining four.

Kvik

I really disliked killing one of these majestic animals in Far Cry 4.

Is our cloning tech sufficient yet?

mclem

Was the rhino on display? I ask because I was there a couple of months ago, and I'm wondering if I happened to photograph it.

Kater

Banned
A rather grim outlook for such a beautiful species. :(

I'm hoping for the best outcome and that they can somehow repopulate. Really sad to see what humans did to the fellow creatures of the earth, just for a stupid horn.

Is our cloning tech sufficient yet?

Yeah that's what I'm wondering. Didn't we clone Dolly like 20 years ago, and we can't do a rhino yet? Or is it still the whole ethical thing? I'd think exceptions would be made in that case, given the whole extinction thing.

What are they going to do with its horn?

Very sad. Have they tried breeding the remaining five? Or are we just watching the clock?

It's in the article.

Attempts to mate Angalifu with Nola weren't successful.

Just last week, preservationists at the Old Pejeta animal sanctuary in Kenya conceded that their one male and two female northern white rhinos will not reproduce naturally. The animals were flown from the Czech zoo to the Kenyan conservancy in December 2009 in hopes the natural environment could be easier for them to breed there than in captivity.

Efforts will now be made to keep the species alive through in vitro fertilization. That experiment could take place with a southern white rhino surrogate mother. Southern white rhinos almost went extinct at the end of the 19th century, plunging down to only 20 at one point. Decades of conservation efforts gradually brought them back to life.

NEO0MJ

Really sad news, Rhinos are some of the most interesting and cool looking animals around. Fucking crazy that they're dying so people can snort their horns.

StayDead

We need to do everything in our power to save this species. We've led so many others to extinction that it's our duty to do everything we can to stop us doing it again.

I hate currency and money. I understand it holds a big place in our society, but without the crazy amounts of money you wouldn't have people poaching these and similar beautiful creatures for their body parts. :(

Exr

Is there some sort of genetic library where we save the "code" for these animals? Sad that their numbers have dwindled to this

Seth C

We need to do everything in our power to save this species. We've led so many others to extinction that it's our duty to do everything we can to stop us doing it again.

I hate currency and money. I understand it holds a big place in our society, but without the crazy amounts of money you wouldn't have people poaching these and similar beautiful creatures for their body parts. :(

It's way too late. There may only be 2 females total in the entire world.

maxcriden

I think I've fed this rhino, or one of his friends. They were really cute. Love the SDZ Wild Animal Park.

5856939041_3f94ea2805_b.jpg

ReAxion

Give us the last 5, we can make them do it in SD. You dont have to like it, but you're gonna fuck. We have ways. Ask the condors and the pandas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom