• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

It's not about who did more (This is a long ass manga, Oda can easily give Carrot more to do in Wano, right now is mainly Sanji's time to shine), but rather how they joined. Pedro took the task of joining the Straw Hats, so he's there, doing his thing. He has his obvious reasons for joining. Meanwhile Oda had to be all extra about Carrot joining the crew, when he could've simply had Carrot ask to tag along when Pedro decided to join them. It's weird, unnecessary and makes her stand out in a way that Pedro and past characters haven't. Like seriously, if it wasn't for that, she'd be Dressrosa-tier in terms of a character that you'd hope would join the crew. So as always, blame Oda.

The part about her blindly rushing to battle is part of why saying she's exactly like Chopper makes no sense lol
This if she simply came with Pedro regularly nobody would have batted an eye. She snuck aboard who's to say she won't do it again.

The chopper comparison never made sense they're animal creatures that's where it ends

Ogodei

I will wait and see. If she joins I am sure Oda will give a good reason, if she doesn't I don't care.

tumblr_olz9e6ojmS1t1yvcko5_400.gif

How can you say that?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Now seriously, what is the difference between Carrot and Pedro in this arc that makes people believe she will join and he won't? You can even argue that Pedro did more by beating Tamago.

More furry pandering value.

Ray Down

Banned
Honestly how many actually believed Luffy and Ace were blood related?

Thinking back and looking at it now I see why they weren't initially.

I have a lingering question that could maybe? Get some if only a little discussion going. So I think it's safe to say wano is next here right? Bar a quick shift to the reviere obviously if it happens first. Going off everything that's happened on whole cake. What's the plan here? How exactly do they take down the unkillable kaido and his beast army. Do they call their fleet back to them? Is the pirate-mink-ninja-samurai alliance enough?

As a matter of fact how do they even get the samurai on their side? It could be possible a lot of them turned coat and joined wano as the new shogun has done.

Luffy obviously can't 1v1 this man do they go oars on him? Luffy/law and kidd maybe?

Ogodei

They look a lot alike, for one.

The different names should've been the bigger clue, but this was back when most characters in the series didn't even have last names so it mattered less.

Ray Down

Banned
They look a lot alike, for one.

The different names should've been the bigger clue, but this was back when most characters in the series didn't even have last names so it mattered less.

It could have just been Ace taking his mother name for some reason, My uncle actually took my grandmothers maiden name.

Just looking at it Luffy and Ace looks simular but the different nose may be another hint, that and looking at it now Ace has Roger hair.

I remember thinking how cool it was that Luffy had a brother back when I was a kid, even with the 4kids dub.

None of the other protagonists of shows I watched had that dynamic.

I have a lingering question that could maybe? Get some if only a little discussion going. So I think it's safe to say wano is next here right? Bar a quick shift to the reviere obviously if it happens first. Going off everything that's happened on whole cake. What's the plan here? How exactly do they take down the unkillable kaido and his beast army. Do they call their fleet back to them? Is the pirate-mink-ninja-samurai alliance enough?

As a matter of fact how do they even get the samurai on their side? It could be possible a lot of them turned coat and joined wano as the new shogun has done.

Between the strawhats, the supernovas, and miscellaneous Samurai, Luffy stands to have the strongest force behind him in the story so far.

I remember thinking how cool it was that Luffy had a brother back when I was a kid, even with the 4kids dub.

None of the other protagonists of shows I watched had that dynamic.

Between the strawhats, the supernovas, and miscellaneous Samurai, Luffy stands to have the strongest force behind him in the story so far.
I wonder tho as they all are now can they take big mom and her crew down let alone kaido who's producing an army.

Like let's look at the alliance they fought some hard fought battles alone with just doffys crew. It took luffy and law plus the citizens of dressrosa stalling to take down doflamingo himself. Likewise big mom is taking said form that took down doflamingo with a elbow block likewise her commander was tanking the form and he only won with the help of nami and the homies. It leaves me to wonder what's gonna happen to the strawhats between now and that battle with kaido that allows them to take him out

LotusHD

Banned

Luffy obviously can't 1v1 this man do they go oars on him? Luffy/law and kidd maybe?

Who knows, last we checked with Oda, even he doesn't know yet as to how Luffy would realistically defeat Kaido. Fortunately, it's becoming gradually more and more "realistic" as Luffy is seeing that he needs to take Gear 4 to further heights. He barely defeated Doflamingo. He only beat Cracker due to Nami's help. He very briefly got to see where he stood against Big Mom when using Gear 4, with his regular punch being pretty much ineffective. Stuff like that helps make it more believable when Luffy inevitably comes up with a new technique or two in order to fight Kaido. He still has a long way to go though I suppose, because Oda seriously hyped the fuck out of Kaido with his introduction chapter.

As for Kaido's forces, Luffy has:

- The Alliance
- WB Pirates
- Probable Wano allies (Like Kid for example)

So they might just barely be able to do it. Also no point in mentioning him being unkillable, since Luffy doesn't need to. (Although wouldn't that be something, the unkillable antagonist being that rare OP character that dies) Just needs to defeat his ass, and he'll get arrested or some shit. Speaking of which, I'm sure the CP0 will have some presence there to fuck with either faction. (Lucci might even make an appearance, seeing as how he'd flow well with the whole Zoan aesthetic Wano will have going on)

I definitely think Kaido has a chance of dying. It's right in his introduction, plus how do you even bring him back for EOS? That question also applies to Big Mom come to think of it.

Plus, will Luffy be considered an Emperor after Wano? I don't see why the story would even bother, but it stands to reason that he would.

caliph95

I definitely think Kaido has a chance of dying. It's right in his introduction, plus how do you even bring him back for EOS? That question also applies to Big Mom come to think of it.

Plus, will Luffy be considered an Emperor after Wano? I don't see why the story would even bother, but it stands to reason that he would.
Why not he already has a fleet and potentially new "territory"

LotusHD

Banned
Why not he already has a fleet and potentially new "territory"

Oh yea, Fishman Island is his territory now isn't it, almost forgot lol

Kaido either dies in Wano or dies to save Luffy in the last arc imo.

I really rather he not befriend any of the Yonko, at least not to the point where they'd give up his life for him. If (most of) the Supernova are his rivals, then the Yonko are like... super rivals. Like even with Big Mom where she's the most likely to be placated, it'd be lame if the one female Yonko (just like the one female Warlord) never ends up fighting him. Well, I guess they can be friendly after Big Mom's ass is kicked.

Oh yea, Fishman Island is his territory now isn't it, almost forgot lol

I really rather he not befriend any of the Yonko, at least not to the point where they'd give up his life for him. If (most of) the Supernova are his rivals, then the Yonko are like... super rivals.
Yeaaa at this point and time it's looking like most of the supernovas are allies if the yonko wound up like that I'd be feeling some type of way

Come on, rivals turned friends are common in shonen!
But also this so who knows

LotusHD

Banned
Yeaaa at this point and time it's looking like most of the supernovas are allies if the yonko wound up like that I'd be feeling some type of way

But also this so who knows

That's what the supernova are for, let that trope apply to them. I don't mind Whitebeard and Shanks for obvious reasons, but everyone else needs their ass kicked.

I don't see Luffy becoming an Emperor because that would require Oda to refer to Luffy as one of the strongest characters in the story before the ending, and I don't think he would like doing that.

I don't see Luffy becoming an Emperor because that would require Oda to refer to Luffy as one of the strongest characters in the story before the ending, and I don't think he would like doing that.
But than again..would he feel uncomfortable? He's had no problems having the world see luffy as this dangerous powerful guy. If they take down a yonkou and with that takes their island(which in this case unlike fishman island, wano is being used as his base) he should just like Blackbeard be acknowledged as a
Yonkou
I really didn't think I needed to add that I'm only referring to 3 of the Yonko

And even than I still expect a curveball here

Ray Down

Banned
Luffy won't be considered a Yonko till he beats a Yonko or is consider on par with one, just on his own.

So we may have to wait till Blackbeard.

LotusHD

Banned
I see the Yonko title as being not much different from him getting a super high bounty. He'll see it as a badge of honor, but wouldn't bother with the stuff we traditionally associate with Yonko, like having multiple territories that is consistently protected (He'll just protect places that has people he likes at random), he won't give a shit about maintaining the balance (Well, it's gonna be ruined anyways once a Yonko goes down), etc.

Instead he'll be like "Cool", and keep on trucking on to Raftel.

But than again..would he feel uncomfortable? He's had no problems having the world see luffy as this dangerous powerful guy. If they take down a yonkou and with that takes their island(which in this case unlike fishman island, wano is being used as his base) he should just like Blackbeard be acknowledged as a
Yonkou

Who knows. Oda clearly likes having the strawhats be the scrappy underdogs when compared to the rest of the One Piece world, and being an Emperor kind of makes that perception harder to maintain.

caliph95

Who knows. Oda clearly likes having the strawhats be the scrappy underdogs when compared to the rest of the One Piece world, and being an Emperor kind of makes that perception harder to maintain.
They can still be since puffy can't even beat a commander by himself and would be considered a relatively newbie plus that has to change with him going to be pirate king

Can wee even consider them that anymore. They're getting admirals sent specifically for them now hell even before that when they were found out to be alive they got px robots on that island quickly

LotusHD

Banned
Can wee even consider them that anymore. They're getting admirals sent specifically for them now hell even before that when they were found out to be alive they got px robots on that island quickly

I guess they can always be the underdogs in terms of us wanting them to prevail over the World Government, or that even as a Yonko, successfully making Luffy the Pirate King is the hardest evah

I guess they can always be the underdogs in terms of us wanting them to prevail over the World Government, or that even as a Yonko, successfully making Luffy the Pirate King is the hardest evah
Luffy probably won't care about the official title anyway except for pirate king lol

The SH look pretty underdog-ish to me lately, though. Luffy struggled with a Yonko's commander (cracker) and his most powerful form barely defeated Doflamingo and was completely ineffective in Big mom. I really don't know what they're going to do, lol.

But feels more interesting than OP strawhats in fishman island.

The SH look pretty underdog-ish to me lately, though. Luffy struggled with a Yonko's commander (cracker) and his most powerful form barely defeated Doflamingo and was completely ineffective in Big mom. I really don't know what they're going to do, lol.

But feels more interesting than OP strawhats in fishman island.

I have to imagine Wano is pretty damn far away from Big Mom's territory. There's time for him to figure out something else while they're traveling.

LotusHD

Banned
Which is why i think Kaido would be a repeat of Oars

Keeps Luffy as an underdog if he needs that much help to win, characters like Kid get their dignity back too.

Then you'd still have Big Mom and Blackbeard for the 1v1 fights if anything I suppose, since I know people get really anal over Luffy not beating someone by himself...

We're also underestimating them just a wee bit too. Zoro is hanging with samurai,franky said he was building a new weapon for taking on kaido, usopp could be planting new pop greens,Nami has a new weapon she really hasn't used at all,chopper I hate the guy but my theory still stands he developed another rumble ball,Sanji hasn't really shown anything,Brook(and this goes for chopper and luffy as well) can awaken his fruit

LotusHD

Banned
We're also underestimating them just a wee bit too. Zoro is hanging with samurai,franky said he was building a new weapon for taking on kaido, usopp could be planting new pop greens,Nami has a new weapon she really hasn't used at all,chopper I hate the guy but my theory still stands he developed another rumble ball,Sanji hasn't really shown anything,Brook(and this goes for chopper and luffy as well) can awaken his fruit

Poor Robin.

Top Bottom