• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
I see that some people think that Luffy's line of "We'll never be able to face Pedro again", in reference to them needing to focus and take advantage of the chaos Pedro gave them in order to safely escape, means that Pedro is indeed alive.

But I don't get it.

If they didn't take advantage of the situation, well... they'd be as good as dead, considering Big Mom and co. are all right there. Not captured or anything... Dead. And if they fail, well, there's no reason to think that Pedro would be the only one to make it out alive (Hell, how is he supposed to make it out alive now if he really is alive? He'd still be surrounded while heavily injured...), so I took that to mean that it'd be a really awkward situation (understatement) to see Pedro in the afterlife if they had failed and ended up getting killed, as that of course would have essentially made Pedro's sacrifice pointless. The way I read it, Luffy at the very least is currently under the impression that he's dead, and as a result, doesn't want his sacrifice to go to waste.

That somehow people took that an entirely different way... that's pretty interesting.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I see that some people think that Luffy's line of "We'll never be able to face Pedro again", in reference to them needing to focus and take advantage of the chaos Pedro gave them in order to safely escape, means that Pedro is indeed alive.

But I don't get it.

If they didn't take advantage of the situation, well... they'd be as good as dead, considering Big Mom and co. are all right there. Not captured or anything... Dead. And if they fail, well, there's no reason to think that Pedro would be the only one to make it out alive (Hell, how is he supposed to make it out alive now if he really is alive? He'd still be surrounded while heavily injured...), so I took that to mean that it'd be a really awkward situation (understatement) to see Pedro in the afterlife if they had failed and ended up getting killed, as that of course would have essentially made Pedro's sacrifice pointless. The way I read it, Luffy at the very least is currently under the impression that he's dead, and as a result, doesn't want his sacrifice to go to waste.

That somehow people took that an entirely different way... that's pretty interesting.

It means "we won't be able to face him in the afterlife"

LotusHD

Banned
I know what it means lol, I'm saying that other people saw it an entirely different way, somehow managing to twist that as evidence that he's still alive.

But I don't get it.

I assume he could get away the same way Mr. 2 did when he was facing down a furious mallegan because of the jailbreak he was enabling and the only person capable of even potentially cure his poison was leaving.

That's the problem with one piece, people have survived things they should have had no chance in hell of doing so multiple times, sometimes without any explanation, which makes it very difficult to take similar situations with the seriousness they probably should be treated with.

Ray Down

Banned
I assume he could get away the same way Mr. 2 did when he was facing down a furious mallegan because of the jailbreak he was enabling and the only person capable of even potentially cure his poison was leaving.

That's the problem with one piece, people have survived things they should have had no chance in hell of doing so multiple times, sometimes without any explanation, which makes it very difficult to take similar situations with the seriousness they probably should be treated with.

No one should not believe Pedro might be alive and knowing Oda history with this.

K so if that pumpkin guy from a few chapters back turns out to be a homie made from Pedro's soul, and Pudding uses memory shenanigans to transform it into some weird replacement pumpkin pseudo-Pedro...

I would kind of dig it.

Ray Down

Banned
K so if that pumpkin guy from a few chapters back turns out to be a homie made from Pedro's soul, and Pudding uses memory shenanigans to transform it into some weird replacement pumpkin pseudo-Pedro...

I would kind of dig it.

Possibly, though

Wouldn't the homie just go back to Pedro reviving him or some shit?

But then again Oda can always pull bullshit like he did in PH.

LotusHD

Banned

Mr. 2 surviving is whatever, but I dunno, Perospero lost an arm despite using candy armor. So like... not expecting Pedro to be in the best condition there even if he were actually alive.

It will always be a fair criticism.

That said, I just feel that people are ignoring context with Pedro's situation, because as far as I can recall, he's the only dude who has "died" that's been throwing up death flags since basically Day 1, with the latest chapter even explicitly having him say that he'll be the one to choose where he dies. Other people surviving is ultimately fine by me in the sense that Oda presumably plans on using them again, albeit annoying at times. (Pell will always be infamous for example.) But with Pedro, the repeated implication is that this arc is his "time to shine", that he has completed his objective of rescuing Sanji and retrieving the Poneglyphs, that he doesn't give a shit about anything else, so there isn't much else to do with him other than be one of the many faces in Wano. He is essentially a death wish personified. Not to mention that compared to the other "deaths", his death is clearly being used as a way to further characterize Carrot in the future. So for him to come back, it really does take the wind out of these last two chapters' sails. Not to mention that compared to past "deaths", this arc has literally had him "die" in the same way before in this arc, only for it to be revealed that Chopper saved him at the last second. So for Oda to do the exact same thing the second time around is just... dumb. If this was the first time, then I'd be a lot more skeptical myself.

But some people seem intent on ignoring all of that context, and don't seem to want to even consider the possibility that it might stick for once. The New World has also been better about this (Though people still feel Vergo and Monet are alive, but w/e), so that's another factor. Not saying that they can't be insanely skeptical, they are for obvious reasons, but it is kind of frustrating when these points are being made, but it gets dismissed instantly as being exactly the same as past "deaths". But now that I think about it, what can they really say other than "Oda just doesn't kill people, ok?"

But yea, other than some convoluted solution involving Big Mom's DF and that Pumpkin homie, Oda is gonna have a hard time justifying this one. Though the pumpkin would also be a real headscratcher as well, since Big Mom so far hasn't really foreshadowed anything that would have me believe that Pedro could live through alternative means.

Meh he's dead to me until he pops again ����*♂️ No use trynna overthink it

Oops, too late.

I would kind of dig it.

That's one way to make a Chimera Ant...

I disagree here just because robin is trash tier doesn't mean everybody else has been
M705TQw.gif

What was that, pleb? :v

I know what it means lol, I'm saying that other people saw it an entirely different way, somehow managing to twist that as evidence that he's still alive.

Reminded me of gon and kite, to be honest. It wouldn't be too weird to think luffy thinks he's still alive.

Decided to pick back up with OP after a long hiatus during Doflamingo stuff

Chapter 851

top 10 anime(manga) betrayal, Sanji going through SOME SHIT, man.

You guys remember how old were you when you really got into one piece?

I think i was like 15, catched up to the manga when the anime was finishing impel down.

Top Bottom