• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

LotusHD

Banned
Whitebeard's flashback was short as hell. Being an emperor doesn't mean you deserve a flashback that takes up a whole volume.

I didn't say she deserves a certain minimum amount of chapters, just that if that is Oda's thought process, where it takes maybe 1-2 chapters more than some if you would like, I don't mind at all. I love OP flashbacks.

Anteater

It's not the backstory I mind, it's the timing of when Oda decides to lay it on. Cramming it in just as a climactic point of inflection is reached is Bleach-tier fuckery. But at least I have faith it won't be a year before Bege pulls that trigger, for better or worse.

nah i think it's totally fine to give big mom her back story about mother carmel right after the picture being destroyed and before the huge fight is about to begin. Sure it probably sucks because we follow it weekly with all the breaks and stuff but i think the timing is fine

Oxn

We've already spent one chapter on a room full of people waiting for BM to react to the photo's destruction. So I don't put Oda past wasting at least a month's worth of chapters reminding us how mindlessly selfish and destructive Linlin is. I forget how long doffy's flashback was but it also felt by and large like filler. Sometimes just having a bad guy do bad shit in the present is enough. I don't also need to see them as a child vowing vengeance on all the good things in the universe.

Waste? No its not a waste. And its not only BM, its Elbaf too.

Take as long as you need Oda.

Meanwhile in Japan

tumblr_oqipbfcqul1saczl6o3_540.jpg

Anteater

Any prediction? Did Linlin kill the elder giants AND mother caramel?

it's highly possible she did kill Carmel, since in Big Mom's memory mother carmel just "disappeared", BM likely blocked out some of her memories about her, I mean like if Carmel didn't die she's not going to return anyway given how many years have passed

smurfx

get some go again
If he can get that a yonkou deserves more
im hoping her flashback is a little longer just to show her as a young pirate dealing with whitebeard, roger and kaido. i'm far more interested in how she came to power rather than her tragic backstory. also whitebeard had a very short backstory so it's not like everybody needs one. i want to see the power vacuum created by an emperors defeat. i know we had one when whitebeard died but luffy wasn't involved in it at all. he will be right in the middle of it if big mom dies.

Anteater

has buggy ever actually talked about wanting to get one piece? I know he wants to be the pirate king (with no effort) but I don't remember him talking about one piece, i also don't know whatever happened to Shanks and Buggy when Rogers got to Raftel

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
has buggy ever actually talked about wanting to get one piece? I know he wants to be the pirate king (with no effort) but I don't remember him talking about one piece, i also don't know whatever happened to Shanks and Buggy when Rogers got to Raftel
Oh shit. He must know what it is even

The Adder

Banned
"The more it hurts, the deeper your gratitude to the sun will be."

"If Mother says so, I will... try."

Like seriously, lady. Feed that damn child!

He's not interested in being Pirate King. He just wants treasure.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure it happened recently on Zou when they were talking with all of the people who sailed on the Pirate King's ship.

turmoil

Banned
im hoping her flashback is a little longer just to show her as a young pirate dealing with whitebeard, roger and kaido. i'm far more interested in how she came to power rather than her tragic backstory. also whitebeard had a very short backstory so it's not like everybody needs one. i want to see the power vacuum created by an emperors defeat. i know we had one when whitebeard died but luffy wasn't involved in it at all. he will be right in the middle of it if big mom dies.

This pretty much. I want to see some yonko dealing with its business. How they rose to power. How they try to advance their own game while keeping an eye on the others. What were their reactions to great events.

When Luffy is going to give the final blow to BM, I would like a two or three pages flashback of her disregarding Luffy's accomplishments and thinking 'looks like there is another bothersome pipsqueak out there'

nah he mentioned about wanting to be one of the 4 emperors (I might be wrong about him wanting to be the pirate king tho) after the prisoners were following him in Impel Down

hmm i don't remember this

Yeah Buggy likes being revered by others.

We don't know if Buggy and Shanks saw One Piece. They probably did, but they could have been given a choice by Rayleigh and Roger to see it since they were just apprentices at the time. Similar to when Rayleigh gave Robin a choice to know about the void century.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I don't know about you guys but I'm looking forward to the Gol D. Roger flashback one day in the future.

I bet it'll span a volume with all the references!

Ogodei

Whitebeard was pretty generic, was the thing, much like Shanks and, to a lesser degree, Blackbeard.

Big Mom and Kaidou are weird and interesting and deserve more explanation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love Oda backstories more than just about anything else but I think it would also be a hoot if they never explain shit about Kaidou. He's invincible! He's huge! He has wild mood swings when he drinks!

That's it!

Red Fire

*sigh*

Why did one of the only relatable characters in the series have to get done in like that? :(

Relatable 😂😂😂
Piece of shit edgelord who kills innocent people and behaves like an idiot who wants to be cool 😂😂

Veelk

Banned
Oh, sure, he's not perfect. He's been worfed and his alliance came to a disappointing end and now it's probably just gonna revolve around the Straw Hats having to rescue him, and that sucks.

But he's made his career as a pirate by killing all the annoying ass characters. And in a series that is outright infested with such characters, I can't help but respect him for that. OP would be way more enjoyable with him at the helm as protagonist.

Veelk

Banned
Veelk finds assholes relatable, no wonder he defends Chuck.

Well, I don't relate to chuck in particular. It's really just the principle of objectivity when it comes to him. People, like with Breaking Bad, make a lot of claims about him and Jimmy that I feel, at best, stretch what is presented in the show. It happens to other shows too, but there's something about Vince Gilligans writing that brings it out in people to an extreme degree. I don't know what it is. A character can do the most ordinary thing in the world, and people just make up narratives that fit whatever view of the character they have, either forgetting or ignoring contradictory information.

And it's not really assholes in particular. It's not like I relate to other One Piece villains. In fact, I found myself relating less to Doflamingo as more of his past and motivations were revealed. The great thing about Kidd is that unlike a lot of villains, he doesn't do what he does for some stupid reason like dark justice or absolute justice or because he was denied his inheritance or anything like that. He just hates the inhabitants of the OP universe. And I can't blame him for that.

The great thing about Kidd is that unlike a lot of villains, he doesn't do what he does for some stupid reason like dark justice or absolute justice or because he was denied his inheritance or anything like that. He just hates the inhabitants of the OP universe. And I can't blame him.
lol don't speak too soon

Veelk

Banned
lol don't speak too soon

....shit, you're right.

We could have a flashback in the future with dumb shit like "because I had red hair, people thought I was shanks so now he must die" or something.

He already destroyed Pudding. He'll destroy Kidd too. Probably just to spite me.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh, sure, he's not perfect. He's been worfed and his alliance came to a disappointing end and now it's probably just gonna revolve around the Straw Hats having to rescue him, and that sucks.

But he's made his career as a pirate by killing all the annoying ass characters. And in a series that is outright infested with such characters, I can't help but respect him for that. OP would be way more enjoyable with him at the helm as protagonist.

Kaido don't give a fuck lol

tumblr_o5zltj7Sys1twexd8o1_500.png

Veelk

Banned
Kaido don't give a fuck lol

You know, between Kidd getting jobbed at the very start of his story in the New World, having basically forgetting about the tournament midway through Dressrosa, having Doflamingo not deliver on his promise of not underestimating the straw hats, giving Sanji his own arc, having the Vinsmokes be flat as a sheet of paper in terms of character dimensions, having all the potential for Pudding being thrown out the window, all the scheming of Big Mom amounting to basically nothing, having the biggest Strawhat fanboy be named Bartelemeo....

I think Oda reads this thread and just writes to spite me.

Top Bottom