• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Oneangrygamer.net)Agenda Driven Game Journalists Are Ruining Gaming

Kadayi

Banned
Taking on board user reviews from Metacritic is about a sensible as sticking your dick in a blender because 95% of posts are either people praising something as the second coming or that it killed their parents and fucked the family dog. Sure there's the occasional decent thoughtful post, but the signal to noise ratio is not great, plus there's no certainty that Disgruntled from Buttsore, Tennessee even played a game. At least with Steam reviews, you can see someone's playtime on a title and deftly ignore it if it's 'worse gamer evar!!' 2 minutes played.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Outrage culture. People are overly dramatic about things when in a state out outrage whether fully hearted or not.

This has got to be closer to the truth as to why "review carpet bombing" exist from the consumer score side of things.

Mahadev

This has got to be closer to the truth as to why "review carpet bombing" exist from the consumer score side of things.

It isn't, I urge you to play this game if a friend of yours has it. The microtransactions alone are absolutely disgusting, let alone all the other "features" that are there to compliment them. The gameplay also seems to be getting worse with every iteration from what I've been told from people that play the game a lot, from what I played it was annoyingly laggy, maybe they'll fix it soon but there's still no excuse shipping a game like this.

mckmas8808

It isn't, I urge you to play this game if a friend of yours has it. The microtransactions alone are absolutely disgusting, let alone all the other "features" that are there to compliment them. The gameplay also seems to be getting worse with every iteration from what I've been told from people that play the game a lot, from what I played it was annoyingly laggy, maybe they'll fix it soon but there's still no excuse shipping a game like this.

My nephew has it and has said that the last few haven't been as great as 2K15 I believe. He said it has its issues, but to me a 2.3 score means the game is unplayable. Like literally.
He said he likes the MyPARK mode better this year and he said it just feels a little better. He said the defense that's played against you can be extra sticky though.

Cosmogony

That gamer's Metacritic review is wack. We know damn well NBA 2K19 isn't a 2.3 out of 10 game. Why the heck can't we just be honest amongst ourselves as gamers?

This right here is one of the problems.

That, for some obscure, not overly bright, reason individuals would think of gamers as a homogenous collective of millions, with a consensual, even unanimous opinion on anything. The use of second person plural betrays it all.

But I suppose if you were to view the world through the lens of Intersectionality and Identity Politics, you'd be prone to thinking of gamers as one fat imaginary bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe we can go political on gaming journalism lol:

“Gaming journalism is totally <insert ethnicity here> and should have more <insert another ethnicity here>”

“I have a problem with gaming journalists having dicks and balls”

“<insert gaming journalism website> is too white”

Also my pet peeve: I like articles that don’t reference the author of the articles unless it’s an opinion piece (they don’t use I, I think, I believe, etc.). I feel like 90% of the articles nowadays refer to the author’s feelings rather than the news at hand.

Fuz

Banned
For me, user score is WAY more accurate than critics score.
Yes, there are downvoting trolls, but they kinda even up with blind fanboys (and paid shills).
And if a game gets a user score of 2.3... maybe there's a reason why. Even if not fully deserved, you know there's something very wrong with it. And you definitely can not trust the press, due to their shady ties with the industry.

Have we forgotten things like these?
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii
https://kotaku.com/5893785/yes-a-games-writer-was-fired-over-review-scores

I trust gamers more than these people.

Mahadev

It should be noted that the review score of 2k19 on steam is around the user score of metacritic too so it's not just a circlejerk in one site, the game is trash according to most people for a variety of reasons, from laggy gameplay I mentioned to absolutely horrible microtransactions. You'd think game reviewers would at least factor in the latter elephant in the room in these reviews but no, it's as if these people indirectly depend on the ad money of big publishers which is why their reviews are deliberately so lenient.

Kreydo

I didn't know where to put this... But since this topic talk about SJW, journalist politics agenda influencing game and censorship.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It should be noted that the review score of 2k19 on steam is around the user score of metacritic too so it's not just a circlejerk in one site, the game is trash according to most people for a variety of reasons, from laggy gameplay I mentioned to absolutely horrible microtransactions. You'd think game reviewers would at least factor in the latter elephant in the room in these reviews but no, it's as if these people indirectly depend on the ad money of big publishers which is why their reviews are deliberately so lenient.

The horrible microtransactions are something we really need to get a grip on. I remember going from Sims 2 to Sims 3 and being horrified by the constant nagging to buy stuff, and quite frankly stuff has only got worse since. This kind of pushback by gamers, along with not buying stuff, is the only way to make our voices heard when the gaming press is not doing its job.

Elcid

Banned
I didn't know where to put this... But since this topic talk about SJW, journalist politics agenda influencing game and censorship.

Ugh God I hate censorship. I miss R. Mika's butt slap and nipple outlines. No way we're nipples "glitches".

mckmas8808

Yes, there are downvoting trolls, but they kinda even up with blind fanboys (and paid shills).
And if a game gets a user score of 2.3... maybe there's a reason why. Even if not fully deserved, you know there's something very wrong with it. And you definitely can not trust the press, due to their shady ties with the industry.

Have we forgotten things like these?
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii
https://kotaku.com/5893785/yes-a-games-writer-was-fired-over-review-scores

I trust gamers more than these people.

This is why you don't just read one or two critic reviews though. If a game is reviewed by 95 people in the press, I refuse to believe that they are all paid off. Like come on....let's be serious. Personally I check the Metacritic or the other critic website's score to get an overall feeling of what's being said by the critics, then I turn to GAF to feel the temperature of the game, and finally, I start listening to podcast to get a deeper feel for what the game does well/bad.

Doing those 3 things have never stirred me wrong. But never will I look at the "user score".

Outrage culture. People are overly dramatic about things when in a state out outrage whether fully hearted or not.

Agreed. Some of those critic reviews are a complete joke. I saw some games getting zeroes in their user reviews because the reviewers didn’t like one little thing about the game.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The user score is often the only way to find out about an issue like insane microtransactions. No the 95 critics may not be technically paid off, but they're sure as hell not going to bite the hand that feeds them. They speak out and lose access to games, lose advertisers, etc.

Paracelsus

This is why you don't just read one or two critic reviews though. If a game is reviewed by 95 people in the press, I refuse to believe that they are all paid off. Like come on....let's be serious. Personally I check the Metacritic or the other critic website's score to get an overall feeling of what's being said by the critics, then I turn to GAF to feel the temperature of the game, and finally, I start listening to podcast to get a deeper feel for what the game does well/bad.

You can be a tool for free, because a healthy industry helps journalism too, people like buying into the hype culture rather than the harsh truth, controversy only earns you a few clicks and that's it.
I remember a former neogaf poster, a reviewer, I believe it was T**, once invited me to his place when he was still working on game reviews for a popular magazine, and he showed me a piece of paper faxed by U***** where he just had to bullet point how he much he loved the game and how much he would recommend the game.

I also remember the story behind Halo 3 review copy: it was more like an 800$ bag of goods.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Yeah, imo it’s a double standard. It should work both ways for males and females in all games.

No it's not, not to those who weaponized censorship. If you feel bothered by staring at a naked man's ass, you're homophobic so you get banned. If you like watching at a girl's butt, you're sexist, so you get banned. The only time when a publisher censored men was with the FF Mobius situation iirc.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

The user score is often the only way to find out about an issue like insane microtransactions. No the 95 critics may not be technically paid off, but they're sure as hell not going to bite the hand that feeds them. They speak out and lose access to games, lose advertisers, etc.

I think that's why I read what people say about games on GAF. I trust this community to inform me on stuff like that. And to be fair all of the video game podcast I listen to (Giant Bombcast, Kinda Funny, DLC, and WayPoint) they talk about the insane microtransactions that happens in some games.

You can be a tool for free, because a healthy industry helps journalism too, people like buying into the hype culture rather than the harsh truth, controversy only earns you a few clicks and that's it.
I remember a former neogaf poster, a reviewer, I believe it was T**, once invited me to his place when he was still working on game reviews for a popular magazine, and he showed me a piece of paper faxed by U***** where he just had to bullet point how he much he loved the game and how much he would recommend the game.

I also remember the story behind Halo 3 review copy: it was more like an 800$ bag of goods.

Yeah stuff like that is kinda eye opening and scary. How does that even work?

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
No it's not, not to those who weaponized censorship. If you feel bothered by staring at a naked man's ass, you're homophobic so you get banned. If you like watching at a girl's butt, you're sexist, so you get banned. The only time when a publisher censored men was with the FF Mobius situation iirc.

Only in Japanese games, but yes.

It is as if those people are heterophobes or something...

Yeah good point. I should of worded it differently then I did. I was talking more about street fighter 5 actually. As crazy as this sounds, I guess I always considered most overly huge, handsome, muscular men in games about as sexual as most females in revealing outfits.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I think that's why I read what people say about games on GAF. I trust this community to inform me on stuff like that. And to be fair all of the video game podcast I listen to (Giant Bombcast, Kinda Funny, DLC, and WayPoint) they talk about the insane microtransactions that happens in some games.

Yeah stuff like that is kinda eye opening and scary. How does that even work?

It works that if you don't cave in you don't get previews, you don't get invitations to press events to try the new games, you don't get free review copies, your review is embargoed and so on. Some games are virtually untouchable, but it's not a big deal because much like with Marvel movies reviewers are happy to shill for free. No downside to it, it's not like modern games tend to have many cases where a popular entry can be terrible. Overrated, sure, but that's it.

ruvikx

Banned

Exactly. The bullshit flies in both directions & evens out, but I'd rather "trust" a person who has demonstrated he/she has passion for the medium than some asshole 'journalist' who behaves like a political propagandist first & foremost.

Adam Sessler a few years ago is another example, i.e. he once upon a time threw his toys out of the pram because God of War Ascension featured a so-called "sexist" trophy: https://venturebeat.com/community/2...essler-is-holding-games-to-a-higher-standard/

After the very best boss battle in the game, there’s a cutscene which displays one of the most violent things I have ever seen in a video game. It’s Kratos boot-stomping a Fury’s [editor’s note: pictured above] face in. While the image of a woman’s face being kicked in is borderline, the overall dark, nastiness of the franchise and its lack of gender roles — outside of the famous sex scenes — kept it just inside a tonal context. But following the conclusion of the cutscene, you get a trophy. This one: “Bros before Hos.”

This gut punch of misogyny irredeemably sours this game and is shocking that such a talented developer would traffic in such a contemptible attitude.

At this point, Sessler ceased to be a game critic & anointed himself a culture critic on a high horse engaging in a crusade against a teeny-weeny little trophy pop-up at the top of the screen.

I say this wouldbe "virtue signaling" was actually just a sign of his own insanity (derived from various psyche issues) considering the hilariously benign "offense" involved, i.e. like a lunatic in an asylum who must be treated with kid gloves & never be exposed to the wrong rhetoric or behavior... or else he loses his sh*t & goes #fullmental.

Exactly. The bullshit flies in both directions & evens out, but I'd rather "trust" a person who has demonstrated he/she has passion for the medium than some asshole 'journalist' who behaves like a political propagandist first & foremost.

Adam Sessler a few years ago is another example, i.e. he once upon a time threw his toys out of the pram because God of War Ascension featured a so-called "sexist" trophy: https://venturebeat.com/community/2...essler-is-holding-games-to-a-higher-standard/

At this point, Sessler ceased to be a game critic & anointed himself a culture critic on a high horse engaging in a crusade against a teeny-weeny little trophy pop-up at the top of the screen.

I say this wouldbe "virtue signaling" was actually just a sign of his own insanity (derived from various psyche issues) considering the hilariously benign "offense" involved, i.e. like a lunatic in an asylum who must be treated with kid gloves & never be exposed to the wrong rhetoric or behavior... or else he loses his sh*t & goes #fullmental.
Ha ha, remember when that Golum looking dipshit Sessler had a Twitter meltdown about his livelihood being in jeapordy because Sony didn't give him a PS4 weeks ahead of its launch...lmao

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ha ha, remember when that Golum looking dipshit Sessler had a Twitter meltdown about his livelihood being in jeapordy because Sony didn't give him a PS4 weeks ahead of its launch...lmao

That shit was hilarious, and remember all the gifs and videos of him looking like he was strung out tweaking and jonesin for an extra hit.

Sweat dripping, rocking back and forth in his chair, losing his voice.

Last edited:

DangerStepp

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and I can't completely disagree with this sentiment. The lack of games reporting with any kind of ingenuity of these days is a disappointment.

I can't help but feel that it's indicative of the need to fill a website with content daily. The issue being that you run out of substantial or interesting subject matter at some point until you're left with no option other than to fabricate drama or sensationalize the truth. This wasn't a major issue ten years ago and so this is the only conclusion I could reach. Sign of the times, I suppose.

Last edited:
https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/25/valkyria-chronicles-4-sexual-harassment-problem/

Another one of these articles that have no context to the scenes, straight up lying and make everything so fucking bad. In rality it is one scene he gets beaten for it and it is done by a person who always is an asshole. So basically the moment you have bad/evil characters in your game you are going to be lynched by these kind of people.

They're even doing old-fashioned offended mailing campaigns to get the game and its sequels banned or censored. You know, the kind of complaint letters even the Japanese TV watchdog agency took the piss off recently and told offended parties they really should work on their parenting.

This is just hilarious.

w6TX5oL.png

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
They're even doing old-fashioned offended mailing campaigns to get the game and its sequels banned or censored. You know, the kind of complaint letters even the Japanese TV watchdog agency took the piss off recently and told offended parties they really should work on their parenting.

This is just hilarious.

w6TX5oL.png
These puritanical nutjobs want to set society back to the 1950s. No talk of sex. Masturbation is sin. No sex before marriage. You must not desire the nude form.

Fucking crazy idiots. Get a life.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
These puritanical nutjobs want to set society back to the 1950s. No talk of sex. Masturbation is sin. No sex before marriage. You must not desire the nude form.

Fucking crazy idiots. Get a life.

Sad and pathetic is what their actions are. I can understand that something may not be your taste, but my god. Grow a pair and move on. Most people do not give a shit and if you are honestly offended by anything in Valkyria Chronicles 4, you need serious mental help.

Thiagosc777

And some people are still in denial about the fact SJWs want to remove people's options, and not create something they would like.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
At this point in time, if a game is called "Sexist, homophobic, racist, transphobic" and all other SJW buzz words, I know I should be supporting this game and the developer.

Dunki

At this point in time, if a game is called "Sexist, homophobic, racist, transphobic" and all other SJW buzz words, I know I should be supporting this game and the developer.
Same here. I am really tired of this. And i the developer or publisher removes this for the west I will just straight up not buy it anymore.

ROMhack

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and I can't completely disagree with this sentiment. The lack of games reporting with any kind of ingenuity of these days is a disappointment.

I can't help but feel that it's indicative of the need to fill a website with content daily. The issue being that you run out of substantial or interesting subject matter at some point until you're left with no option other than to fabricate drama or sensationalize the truth. This wasn't a major issue ten years ago and so this is the only conclusion I could reach. Sign of the times, I suppose.

Indeedy. If any of us here were told we had to write about twenty different things every day then eventually we'd start barrel scraping.

Last edited:
I can understand looking up a review for something based on facts.
Like, this phone lasts for x hours under example usage, here are some examples to judge camera performance, and here's a video to show the smoothness of the OS.

For anything else though?
Don't read reviews; form your own opinion.

Top Bottom