• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Oneangrygamer.net)Agenda Driven Game Journalists Are Ruining Gaming

So I take it, they were virtue signaling this (what appears to be) a glorified phone tap game?
Did you know it's one of the 10 best games of 2017, it's far superior to Persona 5 which pffftt isn't worthy of top 10. Why is Dream Daddy better than Persona 5 you ask, let's ask Abby...

"It's very good"

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
They should really send those podcasts to Gitmo and use it for interrogations of terrorists.......I'M ABBEYYYYYYY. DREAM DADDY IS VERY VERY GOOD...
Oh man, I’d rather have my nails pulled, lol.

“I found it satisfying. I think it’s good. I think it’s fun. I think it’s very, very good.”

One of the densest people I have ever heard attempt verbal communication.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did you know it's one of the 10 best games of 2017, it's far superior to Persona 5 which pffftt isn't worthy of top 10. Why is Dream Daddy better than Persona 5 you ask, let's ask Abby...

"It's very good"

“I found it satisfying. I think it’s good. I think it’s fun. I think it’s very, very good.”

Oooh okay, this is now ringing a bell. I remember the conversations about it, but never listened to it (thank fuck) myself.

Tapioca

Banned
Sure, if you were 12 in 1981. If you were 12 in the 90s? Not a chance.

The games of the 80's were absolute trash compared to games in the 90's. And games in the 90's are good at a nostalgic level, but games are at a different level today. Widespread online gameplay makes everything literally more fun. What are you even talking about?

Last edited:

You forgot to put "like" every other word...let's also not forget that Nier is terrible and sexist according to Abby and that she's triggered by a robot ass, yet will not stop innapropriately talking about penis and balls on the Beastcast like a thirsty teenage thot

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Oooh okay, this is now ringing a bell. I remember the conversations about it, but never listened to it (thank fuck) myself.
A couple of them tried to insert some sense into the conversation, but she just kept talking over them until their balls crawled up into their ribcage, never to be seen again.

And that was a wrap for Giant Bomb. It’s been downhill from there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You forgot to put "like" every other word...let's also not forget that Nier is terrible and sexist according to Abby and that she's triggered by a robot ass, yet will not stop innapropriately talking about penis and balls on the Beastcast like a thirsty teenage thot
A couple of them tried to insert some sense into the conversation, but she just kept talking over them until their balls crawled up into their ribcage, never to be seen again.

And that was a wrap for Giant Bomb. It’s been downhill from there.

This would have been my response in that same tone and deepness.

Tapioca

Banned
IDK why you are blaming that broad for the "downfall" of Giant Bomb. Gerstmann literally tried to sell Gone Home as one of the best games ever made.

IDK why you are blaming that broad for the "downfall" of Giant Bomb. Gerstmann literally tried to sell Gone Home as one of the best games ever made.
Apparently you haven't heard of Donut County then. The game that's barely a game, that's also the funniest thing ever written in recorded history.....the dev also happens to be a friend of some of the GB staff but shhhh.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Apparently you haven't heard of Donut County then. The game that's barely a game, that's also the funniest thing ever written in recorded history.....the dev also happens to be a friend of some of the GB staff but shhhh.
I didn’t know that about the friend, but I guessed that was the case as soon as I heard how hard they were banging on about it. It was like a paid advert. So funny.

Petrae

I actually think gaming is pretty good right now. If I could time travel back to when I was twelve and give myself the games of today, I would literally piss/shit/puke/cum at the same time from the sheer awesomeness of it.

I still play lots of arcade/coin-op games from the 1980s, and I enjoy many of those more than the bloatfests of today. None of that “play for an hour and it gets better” bullshit that diseases modern video gaming. Arcade games had a few minutes to hook you— if they didn’t, you didn’t spend money on them again.

Sure, the visuals and sound have improved. Sure, the games are longer. These improvements don’t necessarily make the games “better” overall— at least, not to me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whatever you do, don’t go back and listen to last years Giant Bomb GotY podcasts. You can never get those hours back.

It is sad. While I wasn't a big fan of Giant Bomb, I at least respected Gerstmann and his ethical nature as a gaming journalist/reviewer. He seems to have done everything in his power, from hiring people like Abby, Austin, and Patrick, to his deplorable attitudes to developers like WarHorse. Ever since the sad passing of Ryan Davis, I think he has been spiraling down.

The games of the 80's were absolute trash compared to games in the 90's. And games in the 90's are good at a nostalgic level, but games are at a different level today. Widespread online gameplay makes everything literally more fun. What are you even talking about?

Widespread online gaming? You mean like in the 90s with Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament? Or how about Everquest and Ultima Online? People are not just enjoying these games for "nostalgia", but because they were DAMN good games, mate. Megaman, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire - just a handful of games that people still buy decades after the fact and greatly enjoy, some even more so than the current and more recent releases. Good games are good games and time doesn't change that.

I actually liked Donut Country. It was a dumb little fun game, it is also like 12 dollars. Kinda reminds me of Katamari. Just a weird, strange title that is oddly relaxing to play.

Last edited:
Oh, he is completely complicit.
You mean the same Gerstmann who is wrong as often as Pachter? The same one who said consoles were dead right before this generation, and who says this is going to be the end of E3 every year?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You mean the same Gerstmann who is wrong as often as Pachter? The same one who said consoles were dead right before this generation, and who says this is going to be the end of E3 every year?
Yeah, the same guy who bags out almost every popular game with a disdainful “meh” whilst simultaneously chattering gleefully for hours about the latest CoD like a dudebro that time forgot.

Paracelsus

The games of the 80's were absolute trash compared to games in the 90's. And games in the 90's are good at a nostalgic level, but games are at a different level today.

The games that shaped the history of videogaming forever go from 1985 to 2003, 2005 at most. Almost every genre reached their apex prior to the PS360 era. I'll concede Crysis in 2007 because ironically we thought it was going to get better, but it didn't. There's racing games too, courtesy of Microsoft, sport games is up to preference. Anything past that is like watching re-runs, very forgettable re-runs. Lots of good games, some very good games, pretty much all 10/10 games are bulls*** reviews.

Widespread online gameplay makes everything literally more fun. What are you even talking about?

Fun is a buzzword. I was told by a person he hated REmake and loved RE5 because he could play with his friend and it was fun. First and only time I facepalmed in real life.

Last edited:

Tapioca

Banned
It is sad. While I wasn't a big fan of Giant Bomb, I at least respected Gerstmann and his ethical nature as a gaming journalist/reviewer. He seems to have done everything in his power, from hiring people like Abby, Austin, and Patrick, to his deplorable attitudes to developers like WarHorse. Ever since the sad passing of Ryan Davis, I think he has been spiraling down.

Widespread online gaming? You mean like in the 90s with Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament? Or how about Everquest and Ultima Online? People are not just enjoying these games for "nostalgia", but because they were DAMN good games, mate. Megaman, Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire - just a handful of games that people still buy decades after the fact and greatly enjoy, some even more so than the current and more recent releases. Good games are good games and time doesn't change that.

Most people didn't get the internet until like 98.

DOAX3 wasn't "banned", Koei Tecmo literally just made a decision.
Not at all, the Western branches just decided not to publish it.
And they didn't allow anyone else to publish it for them either, two offers no less.
It was selling like hotcakes for Play-Asia and still, they didn't license it to anyone.
It wasn't their pure choice considering they held popularity surveys for Western gamers and already spent money on an English translation.

So by elimination process, there was no way DOAX3 could have an official Western release.
But that's totally not banning it.

Just like when two European governments and Sony's Western divisions decided to block Omega Labyrinth despite PCube's hard efforts to actually publish it.
That's not a ban either.
The publisher is free to release the game iso for free digitally in those places (if D3Publisher is fine with self-inflicted digital piracy) or to spend the $100k budget they don't have yet, in order to port the game to PC for Steam, a service that's coincidentally rallied against for its "too lax curation" by game journalists that used to reject these games on sight.

Know what is a ban? When localization jokes that speak out about social issues are written out in more accurate subsequent translations. That's what true ban, censorship and oppression looks like. Or when an employee that goes all day on twitter about politics starts insulting consumers directly under the company's name, but is then prevented from that by the company or fired.

And I'd bet $1000 dollars that if they were confident that it would sell well here it would have come out. Big breasts weren't the problem. It's a niche genre that doesn't make a ton of money here. Period.

Uuuh you realize the Western divisions of Koei Tecmo (that also influenced Dead or Alive 6's direction) already gave a reason?
It's wasn't money-related.
It wasn't a one-off thing either, they took pride in that position when promoting DoA6 as well.

d01.jpeg

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I still play lots of arcade/coin-op games from the 1980s, and I enjoy many of those more than the bloatfests of today. None of that “play for an hour and it gets better” bullshit that diseases modern video gaming. Arcade games had a few minutes to hook you— if they didn’t, you didn’t spend money on them again.

Sure, the visuals and sound have improved. Sure, the games are longer. These improvements don’t necessarily make the games “better” overall— at least, not to me.
So when can I come over? Arcade partaaaaay!

Senhua

DOAX3 wasn't "banned", Koei Tecmo literally just made a decision. And I'd bet $1000 dollars that if they were confident that it would sell well here it would have come out. Big breasts weren't the problem. It's a niche genre that doesn't make a ton of money here. Period.

Also:

Basically, there was way more discussion of the "SJW outrage" than SJWs who were "outraged"

We're again using examples of a small minority and applying it to a larger group. Which I know is frustrating when it goes the other way... yet here we are.

How about the Omega labyrinth Z which banned by Sony itself even make the dev switch platform for the sequel?
How about countless NOA first party game which gets butchered at Wii U and 3ds era?
Are the reason some games miss western release despite been already translated to english really because the dev think this games will not make bank in the west?
What about summer lesson?
Moero chronicles?
Moero crystal?

Last edited:
No, some people are saying “ignore it and it’ll go away”. This is blatantly untrue.

Agreed, in that case that is incorrect as well. Nothing in life should be ignored, ignoring something already means you want to talk about it but can't/won't. Ideally I think people should keep things in perspective and not grant journalists more power than they have. So I think we could do without some of the hyperbole.

Last edited:

Petrae

Let’s not forget the hissy fit that members of the gaming press threw over Super Seducer, which convinced Sony to yank the game’s release from the PS4.

The gaming press uses its social media influence (basically bellyaching to a large audience via its bully pulpit) to pressure and alter the course of the industry at large. Those who don’t comply with the liberal/progressive views of the gaming press at large wind up getting dogpiled by the rest of the media corps— and that’s tough to defend against.

It’s all one big clusterfuck. I miss the days when gaming press stuck to the games themselves instead of embarking on social justice crusades or shitting upon its readership.

Hudo

And they didn't allow anyone else to publish it for them either, two offers no less.
It was selling like hotcakes for Play-Asia and still, they didn't license it to anyone.
It wasn't their pure choice considering they held popularity surveys for Western gamers and already spent money on an English translation.

So by elimination process, there was no way DOAX3 could have an official Western release.

Just like when two European governments and Sony's Western divisions decided to block Omega Labyrinth despite PCube's hard efforts to actually publish it.
That's not a ban either.
The publisher is free to release the game iso for free digitally in those places (if D3Publisher is fine with self-inflicted digital piracy) or to spend the $100k budget they don't have yet, in order to port the game to PC for Steam, a service that's coincidentally rallied against for its "too lax curation" by game journalists that used to reject these games on sight.

Know what is a ban? When localization jokes that speak out about social issues are written out in more accurate subsequent translations. That's what true ban, censorship and oppression looks like. Or when an employee that goes all day on twitter about politics starts insulting consumers directly under the company's name, but is then prevented from that by the company or fired.

Uuuh you realize the Western divisions of Koei Tecmo (that also influenced Dead or Alive 6's direction) already gave a reason?
It wasn't a one-off thing either, they took pride in that position when promoting DoA6 as well.

d01.jpeg
While I'm not in the target audience for DOAX, this development of how this issue is discussed is quite alarming, when companies feel the need to act like this. But Koei Tecmo's honesty is commendable, I have to say.

With regards to Giant Bomb, I unintentionally consumed less and less of their content after Dan moved to GBEAST and I have basically stopped now, not really sure why. Their stuff just became boring (for me), I guess.

Hudo

They are basically trying to undermine and poison every entertainment construct they can get their hands on, they are brainwashed college kids that drive an agenda and that work for basically nothing which is how they get into everything, stupid companies hire them cause they are cheap (not knowing they will lose over time more money) and then shit starts as seen with marvel comics for example.
This is so in your face that anyone pretending its not a thing is immediately suspicious to me, yes i am that paranoid at this point lol

I'm sorry to ask this but aren't those presentations peer reviewed beforehand? Kinda like when you want to publish and present a paper at a conference? The "Video Games are political" slide is almost physically hurting me. They are fucking not, unless you actively make them political. No one can tell me that Miyamoto was thinking about fucking politics when he designed Super Mario or Zelda. He just wanted to make something fun. No one can tell me that Yu Suzuki thought about uncontrolled capitalism, consumerism and repression of women when he fucking made Outrun. I remember an interview on Shmuplations.com where he said something along the lines of "I just wanted to make a game where it is fun to cruise around, kinda relaxing". And that was the whole intention. I get so fucking aggravated at the audacity of some of those young developers spouting such short-sighted bullshit, just because they don't have anything else to contribute (game design techniques, maybe about a new use of cognitive affordances, metaphors for effectively communicating mechanics or intention or technical feats, maybe a goddamn renderer in Haskell or massively parallel job scheduling done by a trained neural network or something. God fucking damnit.

Sorry about the rant...
EDIT: Also sorry about double posting.

Last edited:

Cactuarman

Banned
This is problematic. How might one go about writing a book with characters from all sorts of different backgrounds if the only people qualified to write about them are people from those backgrounds? Is there no value to the detached observer? I'm pretty sure that if, because I can only write about straight white males, I wrote only about straight white males, I would get a tonne of SJW complaints. It's classic heads-I-win-tails-you-lose stuff. Do we go further and say that only people who lived through World War 2 can write about it or make games about it? Also problematic then because.. hmm.. there aren't too many of those guys left. How far down do we go? Do we need to have the same hair style as the person we write? Do we need to eat the same breakfast? Ok I'm going a little hyperbolic there for comedic effect but hopefully you see my point.

Fair points. It doesn't bother me personally because Marvel isn't saying "from now on we're ONLY going to do it this way." They also never said that "a white person in incapable of writing about a black character." Not everyone that writes about WW2 needs to have been in WW2. But a book written about WW2 from someone who experienced WW2 might bring an interesting level of context to it. Both things can still exist. I'm perfectly fine with this.

And I mean I'm not going to argue extreme examples like hair style or what someone ate for breakfast (although I guess if a story was about bacon then maybe someone who has eaten bacon might bring a level of authenticity to that story). I understand your point - and yeah at that level it would be pretty silly to me.

Bottom line is that I don't think the Ironheart instance is that egregious. Now that doesn't mean I think ALL instances of something like this are fine or right or good. Or that you have to agree with me. That's all I'm saying.

That's not a ban either.

They didn't allow anyone else to publish? Do we know this? Ultimately a lot of this doesn't really disagree with what I said but I appreciate the context.

True. Their reasoning was the "many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry." My point was that there was no actual "ban". Maybe it would have gotten to that point. But KT didn't even bother to bring the game to the West. My point (which I ultimately could be wrong about) is that had they known that it would sell really well here, the controversy wouldn't have mattered. Plus, importing the game allows them to still make money but also avoid more PR issues.

To be clear I imported this game and own this series. So I'm not anti DOAX in any way. I just don't think this series/genre is as big here as, say, Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto. So KT can't throw up the middle finger to potential PR backlash and say "I don't care about your focus group's objections, here's the game anyway".

How about the Omega labyrinth Z which banned by Sony itself even make the dev switch platform for the sequel?
How about countless NOA first party game which gets butchered at Wii U and 3ds era?
Are the reason some games miss western release despite been already translated to english really because the dev think this games will not make bank in the west?
What about summer lesson?
Moero chronicles?
Moero crystal?

I mean, I don't agree with those games getting butchered. I'm not advocating that. I wish all games were available to everyone (well, at least for adults) in their intended form. I disagree with Sony and Nintendo decisions all the time.

[Edit] Sorry I didn't really answer one of your questions the first time. Unfortunately, quite honestly, I don't know why some games miss a western release. In a general sense, the reason most often cited (as far as I'm aware from the sources I routinely peruse) is that localization costs money, but marketing a game in a new market costs A LOT of money. Thankfully we have publishers like Atlus who might take on something like this, but they have finite resources and time. I'd imagine that deciding what gets localized comes down to prioritizing cost and earning potential.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

Those who believe in the unsurpassed virtues of open democratic societies, hold no grudge against the likes of Polygon, Kotaku and RPS for having an agenda per se. In the free marketplace of ideas, anyone can offer his own. Others, on the other hand, have the opportunity to rebut with superior intelectual fare. Indeed, Polygon has every right to voice their concerns and attempt to lobby for their worldview to worm its way into videogames.

But because the agenda in question is nefarious - it directly leads to shallower writing -, pernicious - it potentially leads to developers second guessing their creative decisions for fear of having the game rise to prominence for the wrong-reason-of-the-week - and false - it is based upon the fallacious concepts of diversity and representation in videogames - it should be exposed and opposed. As such, at every opportunity, they should be hard pressed to provide reasons for their proclaimed beliefs, to explain themselves rationality and comprehensively. And since their reasoning is so feeble, so detached from reality, sustained by little more than a weekly round of pats on the back from like-minded readers and co-workers, they will not be able to provide a satisfactory answer.

That'll be the time to deprive them from the oxygen of clicks and show publishers and developers the Lilliputian reach of their influence and the ease with which their unsubstantiated opinions can be rightly disregarded. Hopefully, it will become obvious the degree to which they resemble the bayonet. Obsolete, unreliable and, ultimately, forgettable.

Arimer

Actually quite a few are in Bath and Bristol area in the UK (possibly a result of Future Publishing being based there back in the day - are they still?) as well - see RPS - note that both towns are hives of hipster activity. They're very fucking woke. I did try to point out the lack of diversity but one of their writers shouted me down with an incessant barrage of aggressiveness, as is their way. The rest I agree with though.

That seems to be because they don't value diversity of thought, Everyone should be the "woke" city dwellers like them because they have it all figured out and are "on the right side of history" on everything.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Sure, if you were 12 in 1981. If you were 12 in the 90s? Not a chance.

Yeah, if you found out you could get those games you're currently playing for a small fraction of the 40-80 dollars per game you were currently paying and you had access to mind blowing graphics, VR, online gaming, and every other way that gaming's evolved, that wouldn't mean a thing, right?

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
DOAX 3 didn't get a western release because Japanese gamers voted an underage girl into the lineup. If you remove any of the current SJW arguments over exploitation and sexualization, that would still be a very dodgy move for a publisher back in the 00's, 90's, or 80's (if the technology existed for those graphics). Probably would've been somewhat acceptable in the 70's, but the issue is more about a cultural divide than modern PC standards.

JohannCK

That's not a ban either.

d01.jpeg

Yasuda Fumihiko of Koei Tecmo actually talked about this (not specifically DOA, just the topic in general) at Thursday's TGS forum actually.

"Developers are good at making what they like, but sometimes what becomes a reason for the game to be hated overseas, and you have to take steps to handle that." (He also goes on to say that it doesn't go well when Japanese devs try to copy the stuff the west likes either; Also he wasn't talking specifically about content, from context he was also referring to stuff like UIs)

But anyway he's the director of Nioh so by "developers" he was pretty obviously talking about Team Ninja.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Let’s not forget the hissy fit that members of the gaming press threw over Super Seducer, which convinced Sony to yank the game’s release from the PS4.

The gaming press uses its social media influence (basically bellyaching to a large audience via its bully pulpit) to pressure and alter the course of the industry at large. Those who don’t comply with the liberal/progressive views of the gaming press at large wind up getting dogpiled by the rest of the media corps— and that’s tough to defend against.

It’s all one big clusterfuck. I miss the days when gaming press stuck to the games themselves instead of embarking on social justice crusades or shitting upon its readership.

Even back then you had the occasional banned or controversial games, especially computer games. Eg edited versions of Phantasmagoria rape scenes, same for the sex and violence scenes of its sequel, refusal of retail store chains to add Leisure Suit Larry, edited version of Harvester ultragore etc
Difference is that it was mostly rating boards and publishers who made those decisions.

It is interesting to note that some versions of Phantasmagoria 2 had a censor option built-in, while others censored scenes automatically. To have an internal censor feature is the best option I think.

http://anthonylarme.tripod.com/phantas/p2censor.html

Playing a controversial computer game is also a step into the unknown. For some gamers, playing or watching many of the graphic simulated sexual or violent movie scenes contained within this entertainment product will unfortunately and perhaps unexpectedly inflict nothing but pain owing to their delicate sensibilities. For the others, who no doubt form the majority of players, the scenes explained below will cause no problems at any stage. After all, any good horror story is about passion - extremes of emotion - both positive and negative. The recipient of the story feels something for the characters and that creates the excitement and drive to continue on to the end of the tale. Some people can handle greater intensities of this feeling than others, and there are also some people out there who do not want others to get too excited about sexual and/or violent matters even within a fictitious context such as Phantasmagoria 2.

As a result of this divergence of opinion, Sierra has released different versions of this game that contain various levels of censorship. The most common version (USA - RSAC rating of "4" for nudity/sex) contains an internal censor feature that can optionally allow all or none of the "more intense" versions of the seven censorable incidents to appear on screen. Another version (USA - RSAC rating of "3" for nudity/sex that doubles as the Australian version) automatically censors the three sex scenes but allows the four censorable violent scenes to be optionally censored by the consumer. Yet other versions (from the UK) automatically censor two or four censorable violence scenes but allow the three censorable sex scenes to be optionally censored by the consumer. Thus, the idiosyncrasies of the various censorship regimes of certain countries and communities are catered for by the socially responsible game publisher.

DOAX 3 didn't get a western release because Japanese gamers voted an underage girl into the lineup. If you remove any of the current SJW arguments over exploitation and sexualization, that would still be a very dodgy move for a publisher back in the 00's, 90's, or 80's (if the technology existed for those graphics). Probably would've been somewhat acceptable in the 70's, but the issue is more about a cultural divide than modern PC standards.

Didn’t they change Marie Rose’s age in doa5? They could of did the same thing in doax3 I’m assuming. Honestly though, imo doax3 probably wouldn’t of sold too well in the West especially with all of the political crap going on outside of Japan wouldn’t of did it any favors either.

Randybro

Banned
It's not even that, VN and pervy vita games like Senran kagura or the neptunia games still make it in the USA lolol It was obviously too expensive to bring and they decided to crash on the faux-outrage.

Paracelsus

Yeah, if you found out you could get those games you're currently playing for a small fraction of the 40-80 dollars per game you were currently paying and you had access to mind blowing graphics, VR, online gaming, and every other way that gaming's evolved, that wouldn't mean a thing, right?

All of those are trivial gimmicks that distract you from judging the actual quality of the game. That's why I specifically used the REmake and RE5 story.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Games, from a purely pragmatic standpoint are pretty much the worst medium in existence to use as a political soapbox.

(1) Games are expensive and time-consuming to make if you intend to create anything substantial, and without substance you are adrift in a sea of competing product. Writing a polemic, painting some art, performing a protest song are all vastly more time effective. Hell, making a film is quicker and easier now that most of us have HD cameras on our pocket phones and Youtube/other streaming video services provide a quick and effective distribution/exhibition mechanism

(2) Gaming is a marketplace ruled by money. Its crowded and super-competitive meaning that quality of work is often less significant than marketing spend. The divisiveness inherent in politicization actively stands against success as the second you brand your product that way, you are turning off the portion of the addressable market who doesn't share your leanings. This all matters immensely because as I described in my first point. its an expensive business to get into, and without a solid business plan you will not last long enough to build much of a profile thus hampering your ability to spread your message.

(3) Games are international, while politics tend to be dictated by national views and culture. Who exactly is being addressed through politicizing gaming? Is it a case of cultural imperialism, or do you simply not care if the rest of the world really isn't that interested in progressive politics-du-jour? Either way it sounds like the opposite of inclusiveness to take this approach.

(4) Most of all, gaming does not have the cultural cachet to make it a primary choice for political speech. For the overwhelming majority gaming is lightweight escapism, hell it basically impossible to form a consensus that gaming is actually art as a lot of people just see games as (complex) mechanical toys. Furthermore gaming is more about product than people, most developers are anonymous figures to the masses, and that really matters because individuals are what people rally around.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Games *journalists* can't ruin gaming for the simple fact that almost nobody except other games journalists pay any attention to them. It is basically a loosely knit group of enthusiasts who post messages for peer review.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because it's documented: -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_2:_Assassins_of_Kings#Critical_reception

(CDP patched the game and changed the scene)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotline_Miami_2:_Wrong_Number

(Devolver patched the game)

I named both of those previously in case you wanted to look them up and do some research, but clearly, that's too much effort on your part. The developers didn't just decide to change things for no reason, they did so in response to game Journo opinion. Rightly or wrongly, it was felt necessary by the developers to address their concerns and alter their games in some way.

At this juncture, a smart man would concede the point, but I suspect you'll double down with the 'but did they really?'

There's no doubling down. I don't want to fight with people on GAF over stuff. My point is, how do you know they did it only to appease game critics. Usually, when game critics point out these that are flaws in their eyes, there's usually 1000s of other regular gamers on forums, Twitter, etc that have voiced that same opinion. Devs are influenced by game critics, but they are also influenced by the opinion of gamers too.

YIKES

Games *journalists* can't ruin gaming for the simple fact that almost nobody except other games journalists pay any attention to them. It is basically a loosely knit group of enthusiasts who post messages for peer review.
And sadly they have a collective voice that has the industry's ear on a lot of matters.

Kadayi

Banned
There's no doubling down. I don't want to fight with people on GAF over stuff. My point is, how do you know they did it only to appease game critics. Usually, when game critics point out these that are flaws in their eyes, there's usually 1000s of other regular gamers on forums, Twitter, etc that have voiced that same opinion. Devs are influenced by game critics, but they are also influenced by the opinion of gamers too.

You waited almost a week and then you posted this? This stuff was documented, that's why it was referenced in the very wiki articles I listed. I can't be bothered to dig into the weeds because frankly, I've got better things to do with my evening versus teach you how to use the internets, but I recall when this stuff happened and CDP feeling obligated to patch their game in response to RPS getting all hot and bothered over some virtual tits being on display for too long in their estimation.

Uuuh, no.

• Metacritic, and developer bonuses tied to it
  • Investors paying attention to Metacritic scores to decide whether a sequel lives or dies, and whether it was a quality game that didn't sell much but deserves second chances to nurture IP and consumer confidence...
  • Some gaming companies (publishers, developers, retailers) averse to negative coverage, see the GTA V effective ban enforced at retailers in Australia
  • Some platform holders averse to negative coverage and who will happily do the censoring even if the company is fine releasing their product. Nintendo and Night Trap in the nineties, Sony and Super Seducer, Omega Labyrinth today... And make no mistake, that's expected in this day and age, and a big reason for the recent controversy asking for Steam to introduce back even more draconian curation than either G.O.G. or Greenlight era old Steam, because "i feel annoyed by all those new games in the recent releases feed no one checks, and even though i can look elsewhere i am making a tantrum about this, also problematic games but don't care too much about this throwaway line in my article that's totally not the point behind this tantrum"
  • Other game journalists as you said, but occasionally other mainstream journalists can boost signal it. From there, a media witchhunt fanning violence and sexuality in videogame controversies, and potential lawmakers eager to come then and make their case. That actually happened for Tomodachi's Collection, and a recent mass shooting incident where the new gaming media was starting to blame "violent" games, then mainstream media, then... Donald Trump!?! Then gaming media tried to pretend they never were saying this just a few days ago (some retroactive article edits, no less)
  • Courts of law that think a company forfeited its trademarks, if it was "reached out for comment by Kotaku" about a recent fan mod they wanted to pretend they were ignoring. Now they have to enforce that trademark. This fact isn't lost on game journalists, who also had, repeatedly, grabbed domain names that were forgotten about, for self-serving promotional stunts to often punish that company if they have beef with it
  • Companies that boycott game journalists and ignore them (either because of biased coverage of the kind that convinced Nintendo to do their own Nintendo Direct so that the games aren't shat on or misrepresented by a mediocre game journalist who got to see a private demo, as soon as reveal day. or because of leaks and controversies and interviewers looking for blood, like Polygon/Kotaku/RPS/PC Gamer) are well aware they will get more negative coverage than usual. Most just still humor them.
  • Like-minded readership that will try and get people fired somehow and fullfill that thinly veiled wish the article writer made.
What's good at least is that companies aren't cancelling games as much as they used to based on game journalist opinions, just like 2D games were discouraged in the late nineties, Tingle in Rosy Rupeeland skipped NA because of IGN articles, and things like that. Nowadays, even when Eurogamer tells Xseed and Sierra's ex-devs openly they must scrap the Senran Kagura and Leisure Suit Larry releases without going around the pot, and the games are still released, and games like Kingdom Come Deliverance and A Hat in Time that had an actively negative coverage still succeeded and got good word of mouth, that is quite telling. There are still exceptions like Koei Tecmo, but the DoA6 director backtracking despite his Western Koei office and gaming journalism feedback, speaks a lot of how much they hold power.

Last edited:

Mahadev

And sadly they have a collective voice that has the industry's ear on a lot of matters.

The industry's ear and only the industry's. Very few gamers actually give a fuck about their shitty opinion both regarding reviews, coverage and politics. Most of us just assume that they either have an agenda or they're being influenced by big publishers. I mean, look at this shit: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nba-2k19

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
The industry's ear and only the industry's. Very few gamers actually give a fuck about their shitty opinion both regarding reviews, coverage and politics. Most of us just assume that they either have an agenda or they're being influenced by big publishers. I mean, look at this shit: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nba-2k19

Maybe hardcore gamers, but do you think the average joe who buys games (Sometimes not even for themselves but for their kids) is going to look further than the score, they'll check what games are reviewing well and thats it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

That gamer's Metacritic review is wack. We know damn well NBA 2K19 isn't a 2.3 out of 10 game. Why the heck can't we just be honest amongst ourselves as gamers?

Mahadev

That gamer's Metacritic review is wack. We know damn well NBA 2K19 isn't a 2.3 out of 10 game. Why the heck can't we just be honest amongst ourselves as gamers?

I think the score is much closer to reality than what "professional" reviewers rated it, yes it might not be a 2.3 but it's definitely below average. The particular product is also much closer to a scam than an actual game so I welcome the review carpet bombing even though it's not completely accurate as far as core gameplay is concened.

Last edited:

manfestival

Outrage culture. People are overly dramatic about things when in a state out outrage whether fully hearted or not.

Top Bottom