• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 in 10 Americans Eats Enough Fruits and Veggies: CDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://consumer.healthday.com/publi...state-eating-enough-fruit-veggies-701213.html

THURSDAY, July 9, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Only about one in every 10 Americans eats enough fruits and vegetables, a new government report shows.

Just 13 percent of U.S. residents consume one and a half to two cups of fruit every day as recommended by federal dietary guidelines, researchers from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found.

The news on the vegetable front was even worse. Less than 9 percent of Americans eat two to three cups of vegetables every day as recommended, the report showed.

Even residents of California, the state with the best consumption rate for these nutritious foods, fell woefully behind. Only close to 18 percent of Californians ate enough fruit every day, and only 13 percent ate enough vegetables.

Tennessee and Mississippi ranked among the lowest in terms of people eating enough fruits and veggies.

The authors of the study, published in the CDC's July 10 issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, called for widespread action to promote fruits and vegetables in the average diet.

"Substantial new efforts are needed to build consumer demand for fruits and vegetables through competitive pricing, placement, and promotion in child care, schools, grocery stores, communities and worksites," they concluded.

This is the first time that researchers have been able to break down fruit and vegetable consumption on a state-by-state basis, said study author Latetia Moore, an epidemiologist with the CDC's Obesity Prevention and Control Branch.

"Fruit and vegetable consumption has been consistently low over time," she said. "This is just the first time we've been able to look at it on a state level."

America likely needs a "culture shift" to get more people eating right, Moore added

I didn't start eating a lot of veggies until I started shopping more frequently for them.

I still did my major bulk shopping weekly, but I started buying fruits and veggies around 2 to 3x per week, usually from fruit/veggie stands, Korean/Mexican/Chinese grocers, and farmers markets.

I got much better results and less spoilage. I usually have an apple, orange, pear, or banana after dinner.

Do you get your daily 2 cup recommendation of veggies?

Last week I was at a wedding where a full grown adult, when presented with his meal, angrily and dramatically pushed all of the vegetables on the plate onto a saucer. Like he wanted everyone to know he hated vegetables. His wife had her head in her hand.

But to answer your question, I eat a ton of vegetables but not enough fruit.

entremet

Last week I was at a wedding where a full grown adult, when presented with his meal, angrily and dramatically pushed all of the vegetables on the plate onto a saucer. Like he wanted everyone to know he hated vegetables. His wife had her head in her hand.

Terrisius? lol.

Obrek

Banned
Banana in the mornings for breakfast and a whole carrot or stalk of celery, then whatever is in my dinner (usually soup or stew so more carrots/celery). Lunch depends on what they serve at work. I'm not going to take the time to measure it out every day, that's plenty for me.

Fresh veggies are usually expensive. Cheaper to buy things like pasta and sauce and have it feed 4 people each night.

This right here. I am saving for a wedding, and our grocery bills are killing us as we both eat vegetarian at home.

I could buy a pound of ground beef for less than a pound of brussel sprouts this week. That blew my damn mind.

Is modern fruit really all that good for you? Not really seeing what fruits provide that vegetables do not outside of a ton of natural sugars.....

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I don't eat fruit really. I do get all my veggies though, most of the time.

I don't see why it's necessary to worry about all that. I feel good with what I eat, and I don't think abiding by these rules is going to make a big enough difference for me to give a shit.

Terrisius? lol.

Hahaha

Davey Cakes

I've switched over to eating more vegetables than fruit, interestingly enough.

Fruit kind of...bores me, now?

That said, I still love bananas. For a while I was eating a banana a day. Tasted so great mixed in yogurt or granola/cereal, or blended in a smoothie.

Tesseract

Banned
i drink two hulk loads / day

a large salad-sized clump of kale
three stalks of celery
one cucumber
one chunk of ginger the size of a car key fob
four cloves of garlic
one apple
one cup of pineapple, strawberry, blueberry

based rogan

Ray Wonder

One of the things that kills me is cooking spinach. A whole bag reduces to a 2 cups of cooked spinach or so lol.

That's usually side dish for me.

I just get the frozen stuff, too much hassle cooking enough fresh spinach.

Def been trying to up my veggie intake but I doubt I'm getting enough fruit in my diet, might need to add taht to my morning smoothie

Fuchsdh

A friend's father apparently takes the carnivore thing to heart. As in he wouldn't even eat pizza without sausage or pepperoni.

This is actually the first time I've heart the servings of fruits and veggies described in cup measurements. Will probably pour what I usually eat in and see where I stand. I imagine I'm fine or close on fruit servings per day, but generally pretty uneven on vegetables.

entremet

This right here. I am saving for a wedding, and our grocery bills are killing us as we both eat vegetarian at home.

I could buy a pound of ground beef for less than a pound of brussel sprouts this week. That blew my damn mind.

Is modern fruit really all that good for you? Not really seeing what fruits provide that vegetables do not outside of a ton of natural sugars.....

Fruit is fine. The sugars aren't that bad since you're eating them fiber, which blunts their quick absorption, unlike fruit juices and refined carbs.

The fiber is also very satiating. I can't eat more than two apples without feeling bloated.

Not even close unfortunately. I do take a multivitamin to try and offset the lack of veggies though. I just hate the taste of a lot of them.
1657434-broccoli.jpg

Fruit is fine. The sugars aren't that bad since you're eating them fiber, which blunts their quick absorption, unlike fruit juices and refined carbs.

The fiber is also very satiating. I can't eat more than two apples without feeling bloated.

But vegetables generally have the same, if not more fiber, so why eat fruits?

That said, since going back to eating almost all vegetables with just a little dairy and meat, I have lost 20 pounds! :D

Ray Wonder

Yeah. I just buy the frozen pack of plain spinach. It's, like, $1 on sale and is nearly a meal-sized portion. Throw that in some eggs or top it with feta cheese. Delish.

Oh lord I want spinach now. Right before lunch time is the worst time to be on Gaf, always makes me feel like I'm going to starve.

Davey Cakes

Not my fault that vegetables suck. I eat tons of fruit, though.
Honestly, I don't see how vegetables suck. There are so many applications for them, and so many ways to prepare them.

I can't believe how much I love roasted vegetables, for example. Asparagus, brussel sprouts, peppers and onions, summer squash and zucchini, with a little sea salt and black pepper and oil, in the oven. That's some darn good eatin' and really simple too.

Gone are the days of eating cold carrots and canned string beans, but my tastes have expanded a lot over the years to accommodate these foods in other ways.

And sometimes I'll just mix veggies in with some sort of meat and sauce. The combination of flavors really makes the vegetables shine. That said, maybe they get TOO drowned out, but hey, if that makes it easier to eat them, then that's not so bad from a nutritional standpoint.

V_Arnold

But just in the other food-related thread, we have heard that most americans eat properly, hitting their micro and macro-targets easily. :p

I neglected veggies for a LONG time, but not in the past few years, since becoming vegetarian. I still wildly prefer nuts to any veggies, but the creams that we are now able to do (based on mixing chick peas or green peas with olive oil for example, adding some garlic to it, and BAM, you are set for days with wholegrain bread...and it is INSANELY cheap compared to any meat-based food.)

inm8num2

I eat a hearty salad every day, plenty of fruit (usually in homemade smoothie form w/ yogurt, oats, and water), cook meals with sizable veggie portions, etc. I like to hit as many different colors as I can to broaden nutrient exposure.

yonder

It sucks that fresh vegetables are usually expensive. I always buy frozen veggies in bulk, though. Especially broccoli, corn and peas are great frozen and super cheap. I toss them in with almost everything I have.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I definitely don't eat enough fruit. Based on that article I should probably double my intake of vegetables.

Gummi Bears aren't a fruit. But Candy Corn counts as a veggie, yes. Just like Ketchup is a Vegetable.

Ok, I'll get the gummi broccoli then.

Seriously though, it isn't hard to hit these minimums, and vegetables are cheap. I guess corn syrup is cheaper though, and it tastes better to most people (although I think it's disgusting).

Mekere

Not American, but I definitely eat enough of them as they are 85% of what I eat :D And considering I only buy local and seasonal veggies, it's actually quite cheap. Sure in winter you have to love carrots and cabbage and squashes still enough variety not to be bored.

I didn't, until I got a farmers market down the road. Fresh vegetables can be really expensive for shit quality if your only options are chain groceries. Lots of people don't even have that.

I've gotten a lot better over the past few months. Carrots, broccoli, asparagus, and spinach are my mainstays with a lot of celery, cauliflower, and onions every few days. Eat probably 2 oranges and bananas a day too. I used to never eat fruits and veggies and its insane how good and cheap they are, even if you're stuck buying frozen veggies.

matthieuC

Fruit and vegetables are overrated. I've not had standard fruit or veggies in 19 years. Just french fries and maybe some raspberries.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But tomatoes are a fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

Ok, I'll get the gummi broccoli then.

;)

I didn't, until I got a farmers market down the road. Fresh vegetables can be really expensive for shit quality if your only options are chain groceries. Lots of people don't even have that.

Farmer's markets can be expensive as shit as well. But that's to be expected when the farmers need that money to live themselves. The major problem, though is the lack of local farming around America and the lack of "farmers markets" for people to trade money for food. It's why supermarkets are able to stranglehold them: Not enough people are willing to "farm"/grow things and collaborate grows amongst their community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom