• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 in 10 Americans Eats Enough Fruits and Veggies: CDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have a boss that straight up didn't eat veggies.

Eating out a restaurant, he'd eat everything else and just leave the veggies there.

V_Arnold

You know what? This probably explains the meat thread to me.

Of course many people comfortably sit in the taste range of that particular food - and whenever I see some US tv show making fun of vegetables, I have a feeling that they really did not go out of their way to try things other than some salads and some, I dunno, fried leafy greens.

You are missing out on some truly splendid food, folks.

Lynd7

We are aiming to knuckle down on the vege and fruit intake. I generally have a bunch with dinner, but that's about it.

We have also recently watched a bunch of food doco's on Netflix, has pushed us to make more changes. Might try the juicing thing for a bit, or at least in conjunction. We watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.

jb1234

I do okay with veggies (carrots are cheap) but fruit is obscenely expensive (for my budget) and aside from bananas, I can only grab stuff like apples or oranges when they're on sale.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm at 4-5 cups of veggies a day with no fruit. I think I'll be alright.

Oppo

the veggies are important for sure

but fruit? i dunno. large swaths of mankind seemed to get along ok before we could ship tropical fruit all over the planet all year. fruit is great but a bit overrated I think. it's not super necessary to live.

ISOM said:
Cantaloupe and Honey Dew are my favorite fruits
UGH. why is it that every time Cantaloupe gets invited to a party, it has to bring its stupid friend Honeydew.

Grassy

i'll drink this if i don't have time to prep a hulk load, it's pretty tasty too

8TYtASk.jpg

the cocaine plains is where they harvest the cola beanstalks

Oooh I'll have to try this, V8 Hot & Spicy juice has been my go-to for the last 8 years or so. I love that shit.

I normally make a basic salad for lunch with spinach leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and capsicum. Sometimes I might throw in some Persian feta to add a bit more flavour. Simple and tastes great. I don't eat much fruit right now as I'm limiting my sugar intake, but I've recently started adding a handful of blueberries to my oats with breakfast.

No money. Produce is expensive.

What the fuck....dude you just bought a third 980 Ti and you have no money for vegetables? Come on son.

I try and eat some fruit every day. Fruit is generally really nice to the taste and of course healthy to eat. Banana's, grapes, strawberries and apples are my go to fruits and sometimes oranges but I get some of that from juices.

I may struggle to eat any vegetables in a week at all actually. It's not something I enjoy eating. Unless you class potato as a vegetable (which seems to be or not depending on who you ask). I may have the odd chopped carrots and turnip or lettuce on the odd occasion, but I just don't enjoy eating them mostly as they are rather bland and tastless to me.

Dazza

No wonder there is a health epidemic. Fiber is crucial to a healthy diet and digestion system. So no to all of you asking if vegetable and fruit juices count. Glad I'm not a janitor cleaning toilets

Last week I was at a wedding where a full grown adult, when presented with his meal, angrily and dramatically pushed all of the vegetables on the plate onto a saucer. Like he wanted everyone to know he hated vegetables. His wife had her head in her hand.

But to answer your question, I eat a ton of vegetables but not enough fruit.
I agree with the sentiment, that grown adults in the US have terrible habits when it comes to vegetables.

But those catering hall veggies don't make the best impression either.

dralla

Veggies are delicious. People that don't eat them are missing out. Steam some broccoli, melt better over it, salt and pepper to taste. mmmmmm

Anteater

I started eating vegetables several months ago, I eat them everyday.

I don't eat fruits though, I need to start doing that.

Az987

all good things
I eat quite a bit of fruit and vegetables a day and I'm not going to lie, sometimes I find it exhausting. Having peel an orange or make a salad when I'm tired is a pain in the ass when I could just open a bag of chips.

I eat 4 servings of fruit and probably 6 or so of vegetables everyday unless I'm feeling sick.

Edit: and those wondering why bother with fruit, I believe most fruits have higher antioxidants than vegetables. I know blue berries dont have many vitamins or minerals but are very high in antioxidants and eating them daily has been shown to improve your memory.

Plus, you just eat fruits raw where as a lot of veggies need to be steamed or cooked to get the most nutrients out of them so they're more convenient.

Davey Cakes

Fruit is full of vitamins and fiber. And, the sugar it provides is the GOOD kind.

You probably shouldn't eat too much of it. But, that can be said for anything, just on the basis that a balanced diet is preferable.

That said, fruit JUICE is not great, unless you're maybe drinking the purest kind that's full of pulp and is satisfying in a small portion. It's not typically filling enough.

entremet

Fruit is full of vitamins and fiber. And, the sugar it provides is the GOOD kind.

You probably shouldn't eat too much of it. But, that can be said for anything, just on the basis that a balanced diet is preferable.

That said, fruit JUICE is not great, unless you're maybe drinking the purest kind that's full of pulp and is satisfying in a small portion. It's not filling enough.

I would never do this kind of diet, but fruitarians seem to do well on just eating tons of fruit.

I think fruit was wrongly vilified during the low carb craze.

Americans weren't getting fat on fruit.

Again if you're running a ketosis or low carb diet, I can understand abstaining. But vilifying fruit like it's candy is super silly and misinformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom