• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono trying to keep Darkstalkers to stay not dead.

oSoLucky

secret_character_in_sf4_by_kiwi_rgb.jpg

No point in stopping with the same sprites now. Old Morrigan sprites and M/S/S forever. #Team10MoreYears.

I still think that these companies(Capcom is one of the worst offenders) base projects off of unreasonable expectations. Using the old DS games in HD to gauge potential interest in a new one was just craziness. 12 year old niche fighters re-released have almost no chance of selling anything significant. Judging by the fact that Marvel hasn't received any patches in what, 4+ years now, and it has been in the top 3 biggest draws for fighting games over that whole span(behind Smash and SF obviously), I don't think Capcom is in the business of wasting their time on anything that might not explode. Heck, they didn't even want to give a new SF a budget, or port Ultra to current gen.

Zubz

Banned
After they had this much trouble getting SFV off of the ground, there's no way they wouldn't be hesitant about bringing back Darkstalkers. Granted, there are a number of things keeping people from hopping onto SFV that could be rectified with a new game, but people are weary of Capcom again, and if Sony couldn't get a new Street Fighter to sell, a smaller company wouldn't want to risk the same amount of money on a lesser-known. Hell, any resources they could have put towards a DS4 are going to be spent trying to salvage SFV and get it back off the ground.

That said, I'm very happy to hear that Ono hasn't given up. Darkstalkers was great (With 3 being pretty fantastic in particular); I'd love to see a current gen crack at the franchise.

gelf

I don't doubt how much Ono wants to do Darkstalkers, and I'm sure he can do a good job at it, I just... can't see it ever being feasible.

I recall reading some interviews with Niitsuma about MvC3, including him mentioning the difficulties of including Darkstalkers characters due to the number of unique assets it requires. And it's true, there's a ton of characters with transforming parts, tons of unique animations used for single moves, a bunch of moves that transform the opponent... It just sounds like whether they choose 3D or HD sprites, it'd be a real labor, which I can't see them doing in the face of SFV's current state. And toning those aspects back wouldn't feel like doing the series justice.

It feels like something that'll have to forever remain a pipe dream. I can play vsav forever so I can't say I'm super bothered by it, but it's still a shame.

I wonder how Arc manage it with Blazblue and Guilty Gear Xrd as both do a lot with crazy animations too. And outside of ASW there's Skullgirls which does that kind of thing as well. Surely these games don't sell close to Street Fighter numbers and yet they still seem able to put a lot into them.

I'd love to see Darkstalkers done Xrd style myself. It's a shame it'll probably never happen.

Pachinko

I would love to see one made but I'd rather DiMPS not make it. I have no qualms with SF4/5 but I feel like , just to differentiate a new Darkstalkers , it should be outsourced to someone else.

Also, rather than using the SFV engine , maybe license the engine AKSYS uses for Guilty Gear Xrd. Well, rather , utilize the same modifications they made to unreal 3 to get that game looking like cel animation.

I feel like a Darkstalkers 4 could be made using the KI model , keep the budget substantially lower than SFV and launch it with a handful of characters and then update it over 2-3 years. Maybe throw Victor , Morrigan , Sasquatch, Felicia, Raptor , John Talbain out there day one and then follow up with Rikuo and Dimitri (dimitri would come later due to midnight bliss). Bishamon and Anarkis could show up after that and end the first season off with Huitzil and Pyron to complete the original cast. Season 2 could throw in Donovan , BB Hood , Hsein Ko, Lilith , Queen Bee and Jedah. From then on , if the game is popular they could come up with some new darkstalkers characters.

I wonder how Arc manage it with Blazblue and Guilty Gear Xrd as both do a lot with crazy animations too. And outside of ASW there's Skullgirls which does that kind of thing as well. Surely these games don't sell close to Street Fighter numbers and yet they still seem able to put a lot into them.

I'd love to see Darkstalkers done Xrd style myself.

Namely smaller casts and lots of revisions, I think. I know we joke about Morrigan sprite and all, but if it weren't for asset reuse and building atop the foundations of the previous game, Vampire Savior probably never would've existed at the size it is (though I guess the joke is more in reference to crossover games lol)

With Skullgirls, we're fortunate in that we're given numbers straight from the dev as far as how much making a character costs goes. It's pricey stuff.

gelf

Namely smaller casts and lots of revisions, I think. I know we joke about Morrigan sprite and all, but if it weren't for asset reuse and building atop the foundations of the previous game, Vampire Savior probably never would've existed at the size it is (though I guess the joke is more in reference to crossover games lol)

With Skullgirls, we're fortunate in that we're given numbers straight from the dev as far as how much making a character costs goes. It's pricey stuff.

Oh I'm under no illusion that its cheap to do, I just mean they prove you can do it and I assume successfully enough because they keep on making them. Even if it took several revisions to have a cast on the level of Vampire Savior then I'd take that.

Let the dead rest. It would crash hard, people would leave it for SFV/CvC/MvC4 and it would CRASH hard. Right now Capcom should be focusing on saving Street Fighter V anyway.

Vampire Savior is one of the top 10 greatest 2D fighters of all time for me. A stunning game in every sense of the word. I remember looking at a preview of it in the official Saturn magazine as a 7 year old and my jaw dropping to the floor. It plays just as good as it looks.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
After the latest Street Fighter, I have lesser desire for a new darkstalker.

Dai101

Banned
I feel like a Darkstalkers 4 could be made using the KI model , keep the budget substantially lower than SFV and launch it with a handful of characters and then update it over 2-3 years. Maybe throw Victor , Morrigan , Sasquatch, Felicia, Raptor , John Talbain out there day one and then follow up with Rikuo and Dimitri (dimitri would come later due to midnight bliss). Bishamon and Anarkis could show up after that and end the first season off with Huitzil and Pyron to complete the original cast. Season 2 could throw in Donovan , BB Hood , Hsein Ko, Lilith , Queen Bee and Jedah. From then on , if the game is popular they could come up with some new darkstalkers characters.

What DH and now IG has done with KI is nothing short of amazing. Basically building a great FG from scratch that not only plays great, has awesome music and graphics to match but also a great release method for smaller releases. Will love to see a new Vampire done this way (and by this same team, Iron Galaxy)

Only to see it die a month after release when nobody will play it, just like DSR

gelf

Vampire Savior is one of the top 10 greatest 2D fighters of all time for me. A stunning game in every sense of the word. I remember looking at a preview of it in the official Saturn magazine as a 7 year old and my jaw dropping to the floor. It plays just as good as it looks.

I remember seeing screenshots of Darkstalkers Revenge on the Saturn and it sold me on the console itself, it looked incredible. There were screenshots showcasing Anakaris' moveset and I couldn't believe it.

qcf x2

I liked the DS lore as a kid and I had fun with the game, but it never clicked with me mechanically. With that said, I am always happy to see more fighters and I would buy it for that reason alone, though I def would not purchase during the launch window.

I also don't know if it makes much sense now with KI ably providing the monster of the week 2D combat. I would prefer to see another game get a new entry... hey Capcom, I heard SNK is trying to make a comeback.

CvS3 with the SFV engine plz.

Just put darkstalker outfits into SF5 and call it a day. If capcom is struggling with its flagship fighting game then what chances does dark have?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Please return to sprites or at least change the artstyle.

Don't want Bulleta with enormous feet.

I'll just play the port on my PS3 and call it good. I just don't see it happening anytime soon if ever, game was pretty niche to begin with. I love it to death but yea, it's gonna stay dead most likely.

Yeah, not getting my hopes up this time.

They did fuck all with most of their non-SF fighting game franchises last gen--not even doing HD or online versions of many existing games--and it's not gonna be any cheaper to develop this gen.

Makes me wonder if we'll ever see a new fighting game IP from the company again. They talk about Street Fighter like it's going to be their only real focus on that score.

iamcenok

I appreciate the fact he wants the game to happen. But Damn what I wouldn't do for a new rival schools. And to a lesser extent.. A new proper puzzle fighter.

I still think Street Fighter V was created out of the corpse of a cancelled Darkstalkers game, which of course is the perfect way for that series to end up.

V-trigger is a hell of a lot like Dark Force from VSav. V-Trigger, VAMPIRE TRIGGER. Follow the money.

What DH and now IG has done with KI is nothing short of amazing. Basically building a great FG from scratch that not only plays great, has awesome music and graphics to match but also a great release method for smaller releases. Will love to see a new Vampire done this way (and by this same team, Iron Galaxy)

Only to see it die a month after release when nobody will play it, just like DSR

This is the biggest issue - a lot of people here are excited, but forget how overly technical the DS series is. That's not a bad thing, but it's such a niche series that it I don't know how they'd be able to grow a player base.

The Orz

Sorry for quoting again, but this is so perfect in every way.

In regards to a new Darkstalkers, I was originally hoping that we'd see a Darkstalkers game using the SFIV engine. I'm now hoping we'll see one using SFV's. Just don't skimp on the backgrounds, guys! Fetus of God in 3D? I'd never sleep again.

16BitNova

With the Marvel licence most likely not coming back to Marvel vs Capcom, they should totally make StreetFighter X Darkstalkers.

Jaeger

I wish Capcom would stop making new game decisions based on "10+ year old rerererelease doing well"!

Darkstalkers long deserved a new game.

And lol my old friend's work still getting rotations. I remember when he made that Morrigan fakeshot.

Meesh

I'd really love it if Darkstalkers could be revived... do I even dare to dream it could land on NX?

Just had so many fond memories playing it in the arcades, bought it on Playstation...just bring it back one way or the other. :)

It'd be nice to see, but Capcom's financial situation and the difficulty in some of the more zany transformations make me think it'll be a while before we see any sort of return if at all.

Evilisk

While I'm kinda wary of what they'd probably do to Darkstalkers' story, I would absolutely love a new Darkstalkers game. Gimme Bulleta, Jedah and adult Anita already

I still think Street Fighter V was created out of the corpse of a cancelled Darkstalkers game, which of course is the perfect way for that series to end up.

V-trigger is a hell of a lot like Dark Force from VSav. V-Trigger, VAMPIRE TRIGGER. Follow the money.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Especially with Mika's V-Trigger, I was thinking that could easily have been a new version of Felicia's Dark Force

Top Bottom