• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono trying to keep Darkstalkers to stay not dead.

I've never played a Darkstalkers game, but from what I've seen, it's basically just Monster Street Fighter, right? I'd definitely buy a new one if it came out.

It was an evolutionary leap from street fighter 2 and introduced systems that hadn't been part of street fighter like air movement, dashing, EX moves, target combos, super meters with multiple charges, etc.

It's a fighting game with movie monsters made by Capcom. I guess you could call it Monster Street Fighter but that misplaces its influence and shortchanges its innovation.

I like to imagine the whole, "SFV as a fighting game service" thing taken to the next level. Buy the base SFV and down the road, pay $40 for Darkstalkers running on the SFV engine.

The potential for crossovers would be delicious, we'd finally get a Capcom Vs. that isn't Fighting Evolution.

*dreams*

lazyguy

I think everyone agrees that GGXrd style is what we really want from a new VS

I don't know. While Xrd is pretty damn gorgeous I thnk something like Darkstalkers would benefit way more from a hand drawn Skullgirls like style than what XRD did. If you look at previous Guilty Gear games and their spritework It's way more detailed while the Darkstalkers spirties are more simplistic yet more colorfull and more animated sprites.
Solspriteani.gif
Morrigan.gif~c200
tumblr_n0gaphnJ8y1sffbi8o1_250.gif
(I just picked these from Google real quick)
Here you can kinda see what I'm talking about. The guilty gear sprite's detail works better with XRD's design while I feel the DS sprite's strong points would benefit way more from this style of animation.
But that's just my two cents.

I don't know. While Xrd is pretty damn gorgeous I thnk something like Darkstalkers would benefit way more from a hand drawn Skullgirls like style than what XRD did. If you look at previous Guilty Gear games and their spritework It's way more detailed while the Darkstalkers spirties are more simplistic yet more colorfull and more animated sprites.
Solspriteani.gif
Morrigan.gif~c200
tumblr_n0gaphnJ8y1sffbi8o1_250.gif
(I just picked these from Google real quick)
Here you can kinda see what I'm talking about. The guilty gear sprite's detail works better with XRD's design while I feel the DS sprite's strong points would benefit way more from this style of animation.
But that's just my two cents.

so what you're saying is that you just don't want darkstalkers being made today

because asking for hand-drawn sprites would bankrupt capcom at this point

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never played Darkstalkers, but I think it looks more interesting than Street Fighter personally. Never have been a big fan of the character design in Street Fighter even though the mechanics in the game is pretty good.
That's exactly why I always preferred Darkstalkers over Street Fighter, to be honest. None of the SF characters ever did anything for me, but classical horror/fantasy creatures like a werewolf, vampire, fishman and, most of all, a heavy metal zombie? Hell yeah.

Am I the only person that preferred Vampire Hunter: Darkstalker's Revenge over Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3?
Do you mean Night Warriors, on the Saturn? I don't know how it compares to the arcade version, and I never played Vampire Saviour, but I didn't miss it either. The new characters introduced in Vampire Saviour didn't do anything for me (except Jedah I guess, he looked cool), but I guess more characters can't exactly hurt, you can always just not use them. Is the gameplay different? I assumed it's the same except with new characters, since, well, this is Capcom we're talking about. xD Why did you prefer NW?

gelf

Am I the only person that preferred Vampire Hunter: Darkstalker's Revenge over Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3?
Yeah I prefer it. I guess because of the traditional 3 round system, the unlimited specials and also because of simple aesthetics. I like the stages and music a lot more in DS1 and 2 and I like every character having thier own stage. The Saturn version of Night Warriors was nice as it let you use both DS1 and DS2 variations of the stages.

I don't like most of the character additions to VSav or most of the stages. Though Jedah and the Fetus of God stage are awesome exceptions.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I would hope it can make a comeback someday, but Capcom seems to be on hard financial times these days. I'd like them to go the same UE4 route as SFV.
Why can't they just release Megaman Legends 3 to raise the money and then make it happen?

I honestly think we're going to see a new Darkstalkers this gen , Sony funded just like Street Fighter. I'm dreaming aren't I????

MrMephistoX

To be honest, I'd love to see them try the KI model just to get it off the ground, for that matter do it with SFV given the fact that 90% of the online player base seems to pick Ryu anyway...

Crocodile

You're forgetting about the funding that LabZero asked for.

In the grand scheme of things, the entire budget of Skullgirls was less than 3 million dollars. I mean its obvious L0 was also underpaid but the issue with using 2D art would be more time than cost. Any Capcom fighting game would have a much higher budget/cost way more to make even if they went for 3D.

Gren

Haha, well yeah, but what with her "normal" arms clipping through her inordinately long-sleeves, I just thought her outfit was a part of her, like Morri/Lilith's bats.

I would hope it can make a comeback someday, but Capcom seems to be on hard financial times these days. I'd like them to go the same UE4 route as SFV.
Why can't they just release Megaman Legends 3 to raise the money and then make it happen?

What dream world would have Mega Man Legends 3 actually make money though?

Labolas

Man, I would love to see another Darkstalkers, I mean, Talbain's my boy, but I don't see them doing it justice.

Zubz

Banned
A hand-drawn Darkstalkers would look perfect, but there's no way it'd happen. I'll take a new Darkstalkers anyway I could, though. They could even used digitized photos of actors ala the original MK, for all I care!

... And in fact, I think that'd be a great way to play up the "Camp" angle. So now I genuinely want that, too.

leroidys

Lots of characters look absolutely terrible in MvC3 IMHO. I totally agree that sprites are the ideal avenue for this game. It would help differentiate it as well. Rival Schools 3 will obviously be the 3D fighter, SFV will obviously be the medium paced polygonal 2D fighter, and Darkstalkers 4 will be the combo friendly, super fast sprite-based 2D fighting game.

Chev

You're forgetting about the funding that LabZero asked for.

No, you're forgetting the lab 0 funding campaign was due to the unrelated lawsuit between Konami and Autumn Games regarding def jam rapstar, that had frozen any means Autumn had to pay the skullgirls team.

nded

I really don't think we'll get another hand-drawn 2D fighter from Capcom. The best we can hope for is Capcom takes some pointers from Xrd and incorporates highly deformable character models and hand-sculpted animation frames into their 2.5D workflow.

A.E Suggs

Lots of characters look absolutely terrible in MvC3 IMHO. I totally agree that sprites are the ideal avenue for this game. It would help differentiate it as well. Rival Schools 3 will obviously be the 3D fighter, SFV will obviously be the medium paced polygonal 2D fighter, and Darkstalkers 4 will be the combo friendly, super fast sprite-based 2D fighting game.

Lots, but I don't think morrigan or felica were among them.

Personally I just want a Capcom fighting all stars game. That or give me another Rival schools. Both are easier games to make than a darkstalkers.

No, you're forgetting the lab 0 funding campaign was due to the unrelated lawsuit between Konami and Autumn Games regarding def jam rapstar, that had frozen any means Autumn had to pay the skullgirls team.

That's the first time I ever heard of that, but lmao

VariantX

That's exactly why I always preferred Darkstalkers over Street Fighter, to be honest. None of the SF characters ever did anything for me, but classical horror/fantasy creatures like a werewolf, vampire, fishman and, most of all, a heavy metal zombie? Hell yeah.

Do you mean Night Warriors, on the Saturn? I don't know how it compares to the arcade version, and I never played Vampire Saviour, but I didn't miss it either. The new characters introduced in Vampire Saviour didn't do anything for me (except Jedah I guess, he looked cool), but I guess more characters can't exactly hurt, you can always just not use them. Is the gameplay different? I assumed it's the same except with new characters, since, well, this is Capcom we're talking about. xD Why did you prefer NW?

On the surface, the easiest difference to identity is that Savior is way faster than Hunter. Like going from street fighter 2 to super turbo. I think it's probably the fastest fighting game capcom has put out next to marvel 2.

Gotta get some more use out of that Morrigan sprite. ;)

Seriously though, I believe Ono but I also believe he is the only one at Capcom with that wish.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Can models even contort into a range outside of their model size? Like in DS when a character gets hurt they have this really exaggerate hurt animation.

OT but I never realized that Hsien-Ko's claws weren't a part of her (akin to many of the other characters' transforming limbs) & that she was just holding them all along.

Mind blown.

Yeah she's holding them; hell I thought they were long knives until I saw her f-hp move.

Top Bottom