• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono trying to keep Darkstalkers to stay not dead.

Have NRS fund it. They know how to make a successful fighter.

LOL...

I'd give the job to Arc System Works instead. They do a fantastic job on sprites, animations, etc. for their games (such as Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax & BlazBlue: Central Fiction for starters).

One thing a lot of people seem to miss here.

One of the major aspects Vampire games have is their cartoonish nature. Simply turning them 3D and making them look like Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat is completely missing the point. Yeah sure they may be horrific, and gore and blood do pop out, but at the same time, all of their reactions toward those attacks are pretty much mimicking that of typical cartoon antics. Helps that they were based from Universal Studios monsters originally.

So simply transitioning them to 3D won't be enough. They have to carry over the cartoonish nature depicted in the DS games.

Exactly.

AESplusF

I want Darkstalkers 4 so badly, that tweet is better than nothing but it's not a whole lot to cling to.

Please make it happen Ono.....

Seyavesh

I want Darkstalkers 3 so badly, that tweet is better than nothing but it's not a whole lot to cling to.

Please make it happen Ono.....
???
l46JpuZ.png

Astarte

not really, the game has pretty simple chains.

but the series can stay dead after all the fuck ups capcom has made with their modern fighting games aside from the ports.

Really? After a few sessions of people tutoring me my hands were wrecked. BB Hood can stay on the back burner.

lazyguy

I just did a review on Darkstalkers 3 so with Darkstalkers fresh on my mind a new one would be great. As far as graphical style is concerned I think it would benefit from an artstyle similar to Skullgirls because of it's cartoonish nature or maybe street fighter 5 but with that ink effect as the main basis for the visuals.

PSqueak

Banned
The problem with MvC3's look is that it doesn't have the cartoonish nature. Even SF4 managed to pull that off but it's so limited.

I mean, you never see Morrigan in 3D with this look.

8x7M8Kw.gif

I guess, I've seen IV and V's "close up :O" face, but I feel it's not enough for DS.

I mean, can you see them make 3D models like this?

ycES2bX.png

DS characters had so many transformations, burned, stung, depowered by anakaris, ball, inflated, midnight bliss, Disco. they don't put this much effort any more.

LordRaptor

I just did a review on Darkstalkers 3 so with Darkstalkers fresh on my mind a new one would be great. As far as graphical style is concerned I think it would benefit from an artstyle similar to Skullgirls because of it's cartoonish nature or maybe street fighter 5 but with that ink effect as the main basis for the visuals.

I think everyone agrees that GGXrd style is what we really want from a new VS

ZdkDzk

If it was going to come back I wish they would license the Z-engine (Skullgirls). It's the drection that brings the most visual freedom, and it's still a visually unique and novel style.

jett

D-Member
Gonna be real hard for Ono to ahem kickstart another fighting project at Capcom after the SFV debacle.

Tingle

DS characters had so many transformations, burned, stung, depowered by anakaris, ball, inflated, midnight bliss, Disco. they don't put this much effort any more.

I agree with your overall point, but I don't think its due to effort. Making an entire new model which is used for a fraction of a second isn't really as feasible as just making a new sprite. A new, high quality model is a lot of effort.

If they were to do a new Dark Stalkers, I would imagine there has to be some sort of reduction or removal of the unique poses, but that does seem to be removing a lot of the design. It would be interesting to see Ono's approach.

....your starting to get on my better side Ono. Keep it up. =P

DS4 or a true Darkstalkers definitive edition with all characters in one version please.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Darkstalkers 3 is Capcom's best fighting game of all time. What I wouldn't give for a sequel.

AESplusF

Even a Street Fighter Vs. Darkstalkers, or a Capcom Vs. Capcom, would be very welcome at this point. It's just too good of a series for Capcom to ignore.

A weird thought: What if they revived it in the style of the Killer Instinct reboot? Have an initial launch with a small roster, fairly basic features, and a low price, release more "seasons" if that does well enough to warrant further development.

Capcom could be pretty agile and clever about this if they wanted to.

Isn't this what they did with SFV, minus the 'low price' part? I see little incentive for them to copy KI's pricing model.

Isn't this what they did with SFV, minus the 'low price' part? I see little incentive for them to copy KI's pricing model.

I agree, for what? The Vampire/Darkstalkers series doesn't have a huge roster of characters like other fighting game series such as Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter does.

They only have a total of 20 characters to do, plus of course, 3 or 4 new characters if they want to do so.

I agree, for what? The Vampire/Darkstalkers series doesn't have a huge roster of characters like other fighting game series such as Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter does.

They only have a total of 20 characters to do, plus of course, 3 or 4 new characters if they want to do so.

It'd be a great time to bring back Ruby Heart, Amingo, Son Son, and Red Arremer/Firebrand too.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to jump in with funding.

BasilZero

I want to believe.

I love Darkstalkers.

I bought the PSP just for Darkstalkers chronicle (no joke) before I bought any other game which would be a year later lol.

Chev

The problem with MvC3's look is that it doesn't have the cartoonish nature. Even SF4 managed to pull that off but it's so limited.

I mean, you never see Morrigan in 3D with this look.

8x7M8Kw.gif

I guess, I've seen IV and V's "close up :O" face, but I feel it's not enough for DS.

I mean, can you see them make 3D models like this?

ycES2bX.png

The best asnwer still is "Arcsys does it", but could Capcom as it is now achieve the same kind of thing?

We're back to this again.

I respect the game plan Ono but this ship to the underworld has long sailed.

Darkstalkers is something special and was and still is important to fighting games right now seeing as every game since The Night Warriors owes it something.

Savior was the lighting in a bottle and nobody alive's recapturing that and those looking for that in whatever Ono's looking to follow up Savior with will be disappointed no matter what the final outcome is and just go back home. This is the HD Remix school of theory.

Resurrection wasn't the answer. The fault of that game came simply because there wasn't a market nor mindshare for it and it was straddled with the fate of a future it was never going to see or live up to. It came way too late to matter. Something like that should've hit a bit after 4 dropped and not in 2013 and seeing the want it served was better served elsewhere and better served elsewhere on top of that.

The thing is that everybody's currently playing what's going to be the answer to what you think you need in V. I see cross-over characters from the franchise in question & others and the basis for Capcom vs Capcom in that game's future. The game stumbled out of the gate but that doesn't mean that the game isn't in it for the full run. Nobody will remember or care about the start when the finish comes around and that much is true.

End of the day, the Darkstalkers are better off dead but I'm damn sure glad they lived!

notworksafe

Are you saying that just because of the SFV backlash?
No. I'm saying it because Capcom in general is more interested in graphics and mini-cutscenes than making an extremely fast paced game these days. An SFV in the vein of SF4 or SF5 (or even MVC3) would be just too slow to be interesting or a proper sequel.

zenpuff

Neo Member
Are you saying that just because of the SFV backlash?

I don't trust them to do it service either, and for me it's because of how they've handled pretty much everything after SF4. Street Fighter X Tekken had the whole gem nonsense and was poorly received overall. It was a fighting game left to die. MvC3 was essentially a barebones beta for UMvC3. SFV launched with little content, broken online play, and issues with joysticks and controllers not properly working. Those two problems aren't even really fixed yet.

And this is just their fighting games we're talking about.

LordRaptor

The best asnwer still is "Arcsys does it", but could Capcom as it is now achieve the same kind of thing?

Well we know they can make a decent fighting game in the unreal engine, because SFV is a decent fighting game in the Unreal engine.
I also don't doubt they have the technical skills to make something beautiful in a fully cel-shaded style, because they made Auto-modelista before it was cool

kobu

I think capcom still has the talent to make a good darkstalkers game. They might fuck up some aspect but I have no doubt the game would look and play the way people want.

EYEL1NER

A weird thought: What if they revived it in the style of the Killer Instinct reboot? Have an initial launch with a small roster, fairly basic features, and a low price, release more "seasons" if that does well enough to warrant further development.

Capcom could be pretty agile and clever about this if they wanted to.
The possibility is there that they could benefit from a release like that but that business model and release schedule has absolutely zero appeal for me. I would rather wait a year and pay more for a more complete release (and purchase updated versions later on) than see a digital-only bare bones version come out for a low/free price with more later to keep buying. I don't like the 'platform' model at all.

I have had a bit of fun with Killer Instinct, though I haven't gotten too much of a chance to play it (updates were too big for me to download at the remote isolated location I was at for a couple years and the system detected an update when I was online once and wouldn't start without downloading it, so I was unable to boot the game for over a year). I haven't had the chance to learn it fully yet but I haven't seen a lot wrong with the game, other than my distaste for the business and release model. I received the S1 Combo Pack for free from MS before the Xbox One launched and purchased S2 for dirt-cheap in January. If I hadn't gotten those deals on it, I would probably still be waiting on a great sale to purchase any of the content, whereas I would buy a physical disc with all that content on it at full-price on day one.

Thought Resurrection sold fine but Capcom had ridiculous projections for it in order to greenlight a new game.

In any case, yeah, sure, wouldn't mind seeing it. But I think they're sticking to one fighting game at a time this gen and SFV has years ahead of it.

PSqueak

Banned
Seems like a perfect opportunity for Nintendo to jump in with funding.

I'd could be an incredibly weird choice to fund this over a Megaman reboot, if they were to fund a capcom ip.

Then again, i think nobody saw them coming with funding bayonetta 2.

Glix

I don't think this game has a chance to be greenlit as "monster" version of SFV. The way I see it they have a few options, but most of them I don't like.

Complete genre change - MOBA?

Make it a 3d plane fighter ala Tekken.

Make it a 3d brawler ala Power Stone

Sprite Based? (God I wish, this is never ever happening)

Street Fighter vs Darkstalkers? - THIS is what I want. I NEED a VS game in my life. One without bullshit fucking licensing agreements that ruin everything.

Traditional 2D fighter but with a completely different graphic style than SFV. Like, license the Gulity Gear Xrd engine and make a Darkstalkers game.

Last, most likely option - They will all be added to SFV eventually as DLC.

Dai101

Banned
I love me some VSav but no thanks. Capcom of 2016 cannot be trusted to make a proper follow up.

No. I'm saying it because Capcom in general is more interested in graphics and mini-cutscenes than making an extremely fast paced game these days. An SFV in the vein of SF4 or SF5 (or even MVC3) would be just too slow to be interesting or a proper sequel.

^^ This. One thousand times all of this. I wouldn't trust todays capcpom development teams to do a proper Vampire game.

Now, someone mentioned about cartoony, zany, highly morphing character. Look no further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RDBTX0UT8

And in 3D modeling, no less

Am I the only person that preferred Vampire Hunter: Darkstalker's Revenge over Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3?

I really hope so.

KevinCow

Banned
I've never played a Darkstalkers game, but from what I've seen, it's basically just Monster Street Fighter, right? I'd definitely buy a new one if it came out.

Gren

Am I the only person that preferred Vampire Hunter: Darkstalker's Revenge over Vampire Savior/Darkstalkers 3?

Savior is probably the better game, but I like Night Warriors more because it's slower in comparison (but still faster than SF). VS can feel like MVC2 at time, which is too fast-paced for me.

Top Bottom