• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opencritic: Super Mario Odyssey is The best video game of the generation

TLZ

Banned
It can't be. I really like Mario games, but this is NOT the best of this generation. What bs is this?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Super Mario Odyssey really feels like one of those Grand Theft Auto IV scenarios where the game is fine but for some reason it received this outpouring of nigh-perfect scores.

It's good, even great, don't get me wrong, but Super Mario 3D World felt like the tighter, better designed game.

I disagree, it was the first time in what feels like forever that they gave gamers a proper free roamy 3D MARIO instead of the 2D formula in 3D like spaces. Scored really well, sold a lot, and plays like a dream (quite a lot of variety in gameplay and scenarios too).
3D World (and 3D Land) is great in its own right, but I wanted something that brought me back to SM64 like exploration and free form gameplay without a timer running and trying to prevent players from exploring a world that was not designed to be explored but run through.

Porcile

It's a Great Game, but it's not even better than Mario 64.

Mario 64 is a once in a lifetime game though. Probably nothing will ever come to close reinventing the wheel and doing it so right and timelessly at the first attempt like Mario 64 managed to do.

mejin

From what site? Push Square? Official Sony Blog? Sony hasn’t made an exclusive worth playing since The Last of Us a generation ago. If you haven’t played an exclusive since then you’ve miss absolutely nothing.

If it was that easy even MS would have a GotY and nintendo would won every year thanks to their mindless fans in the media outlet.

To each their own. I've had way more fun with Bloodborne, Destiny 2, BotW, and Fortnite than anything else this gen. I'm sure Odyssey is a fine game but I never really got into it. And with Animal Crossing right around the corner who knows. Could be a contender as well.

trikster40

I dunno if I agree. I will say it's one of the most polished games I've ever played.

There aren't any rough edges. I guess if there's one word that could describe it is: smooth. Graphics, framerate, gameplay, it's all smooth.

That’s pretty much all Nintendo games. If there’s one company that constantly delivers extremely polished games, it’s Nintendo. I’m surprised they ever have to patch them.

On topic, SMO is not even close to game of the generation.

IKSTUGA

I really like Odyssey, but game of the generation? Some of the worlds are super generic and there are just way too many moons in the game. Like, remember how special it felt when you got a star in Mario 64. In Odyssey moons are like coins, they're everywhere, disposable and uninteresting.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don’t wanna be that guy but I’m gonna be that guy.

It wouldn’t be the highest rated if it wasn’t a Mario game.

Same for BotW
Lol I don’t get this kind of criticism.

like, it is a Mario game. lol. your head canon where it doesn’t have Mario and is a different game doesn’t exist. it isn’t reality.

it’s like saying “nobody would like this Beatles record if it wasn’t the Beatles”. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the Beatles album is a Beatles album.

it’s like, lol, but it is. it is a Beatles album. It is a Mario/Zelda game. sorry to break this to you. your argument has no validity when considering tangible reality

Last edited:
Great game but far from a "masterpiece" and game of the generation

We disagree. It's a stellar game full of imagination and creativity. Great mechanics, beautiful presentation, amazing controls that allow you to do all sorts of tricky long/high jumps, and it provides a legitimate challenge when you go for all 999 moons.

It's not my personal choice for game of the generation, that would probably be Bloodborne or Divinity OS2 or something I haven't decided, but Odyssey is a very respectable choice.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
We disagree. It's a stellar game full of imagination and creativity. Great mechanics, beautiful presentation, amazing controls that allow you to do all sorts of tricky long/high jumps, and it provides a legitimate challenge when you go for all 999 moons.

It's not my personal choice for game of the generation, that would probably be Bloodborne or something I haven't decided, but Odyssey is a very respectable choice.

innovation

Last edited:
innovation

I didn't specifically say it was innovative, but it does add all manner of new ideas on top of the perfected jumping mechanics like the various creature transformations where Mario can become a dinosaur or a cheep-cheep or even a ball of lava. There are pointy nosed birds called "pokios" Mario can transform into, and he can use their sword-like nose to stick into walls and spring himself high into the air with a kind of rubber band like snap. And there are plant creatures he can take over that extend their legs extremely long like stilts, and a bunch of puzzles based around that idea.

So yeah, thanks for reminding me that the game is very innovative, although such new gameplay elements are supplemental to the "tried and true" run and jump mechanics that are the best in the history of 3D platforming.

SLB1904

Banned
I didn't specifically say it was innovative, but it does add all manner of new ideas on top of the perfected jumping mechanics like the various creature transformations where Mario can become a dinosaur or a cheep-cheep or even a ball of lava. There are pointy nosed birds called "pokios" Mario can transform into, and he can use their sword-like nose to stick into walls and spring himself high into the air with a kind of rubber band like snap. And there are plant creatures he can take over that extend their legs extremely long like stilts, and a bunch of puzzles based around that idea.

So yeah, thanks for reminding me that the game is very innovative, although such new gameplay elements are supplemental to the "tried and true" run and jump mechanics that are the best in the history of 3D platforming.
i mean this sound more interesting than chase 999 of anything

i mean this sound more interesting than chase 999 of anything

Well, I have the type of obsessive personality where when I really enjoy a game I want to 100% everything or go for the platinum trophy or whatever. Sometimes it adds to enjoyment and other times it ruins the game. Most of Mario's extra moons are fun but admittedly some of them are boring or pointless or filler, not all 999 are great but overall I enjoyed maxing everything out

Top Bottom