• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenEmu 2.0 released with 16 new systems (requires Mac OS X 10.11 or above)

Damn, downloaded it but can't run it since I'm running Yosemite on my 2015 retina MacBook Pro. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to the new OS after reading the user comments on the App Store.

I tried using RetroArch for Windows but I think I'm too dumb for it or something. I selected online updater > core updater and then downloaded a bunch of cores but when I go to load core it doesn't detect anything and my cores folder in the RetroArch folder is empty as well.

Guess Who

Banned
Damn, downloaded it but can't run it since I'm running Yosemite on my 2015 retina MacBook Pro. I'm not sure if I want to upgrade to the new OS after reading the user comments on the App Store.

If you're on Yosemite there's pretty much no reason not to. El Captian is straight-up "Yosemite but better."

For MAME and Saturn support, download the experimental version:

www.openemu.org

4aeabdf0-abcf-11e5-8bf7-41af4ad758de.png

Easily the best emulator solution on OS X. Nothing else comes close.

They're working on Dolphin and Reicast integration, too, so get hype.

Goddamn I'm looking forward to that.
Man what possible reason could they have to limit it 10.11+

Possibly they rewrote some stuff to use Metal. Frankly, even if it's purely arbitrary, it's a good move on their part to lower the general support burden they've got to deal with so they can speed up development. If you're not running the latest version of OS X it's your problem, not theirs, and that'll vastly improve their ability to update it without worrying about breaking compatibility with Snow Leopard or whatever.

Possibly they rewrote some stuff to use Metal. Frankly, even if it's purely arbitrary, it's a good move on their part to lower the general support burden they've got to deal with so they can speed up development. If you're not running the latest version of OS X it's your problem, not theirs, and that'll vastly improve their ability to update it without worrying about breaking compatibility with Snow Leopard or whatever.
This.

Only tried a very early version of this and it was awesome way back then. I'm glad to hear they are improving upon it! Can anyone comment on the 64 and PSX support?

Only tried a very early version of this and it was awesome way back then. I'm glad to hear they are improving upon it! Can anyone comment on the 64 and PSX support?
PSX is great for me, but there is no fancy resolution stuff like in other emulators. Also, no cheat code support unlike pcsxr. Pcsxr is still superior, it seems.

N64 has issues, with some games acting like 2x speed, but I don't have of those to try first hand.

Also, i still wonder how cheats are implemented since we still can't save them and have to enter them each time. At least with pcsxr, you can save a cht file.

dadjumper

Seems nice but I'm already deep into using RetroArch on Mac and I like the controller supported menus, so I'm not about to switch.

PSX is great for me, but there is no fancy resolution stuff like in other emulators. Also, no cheat code support unlike pcsxr. Pcsxr is still superior, it seems.

N64 has issues, with some games acting like 2x speed, but I don't have of those to try first hand.

Also, i still wonder how cheats are implemented since we still can't save them and have to enter them each time. At least with pcsxr, you can save a cht file.

Good to hear that PSX is running nice! I'm not interested in cheat codes personally though. With resolution are you referring to downsampling or rendering at a higher resolution? Because that would be nice have.

Raw64life

It's been many years since I've been envious of Mac owners for any reason but this looks awesome. I've wanted to setup something like this forever on my PC but I go see tutorials of Hyperspin and Retroarch and Emulationstation on YouTube and it seems like such a huge time sink. And then there are tutorials on how to use two or more of those programs at the same time somehow and it just seems like a ton of work only for those programs to get a major overhaul and then you have to start all over again. This looks incredibly simple and clean by comparison.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
If you want a decent N64 emulation solution, you won't find any luck with either RetroArch or OpenEmu.

Here's what you need:

Emulator: Project 64 2.2.0.3

GPU Plugins: GlideN64, Glide64 Final, z64gl, along with the default Jabo.

Sound Plugins: Azimer's XA2 Audio 0.70 WIP 4, Azimer's HLE Audio 0.60 WIP 2, Shunyuan's HLE audio, along with the defaulr Jabo.

Pj64 allows you to save different plugins per game. So you have to test which combination works the best for every game. With these plugins i can play my whole collection (50+ games) with minimal problems. And i'm pretty picky, i won't allow even the slightest sound crackling.

With this, even hard to emulate games like World Driver Championship can work, although this one has a few graphics glitches.

In other words, you need to make it work by yourself.

Hmm, no matter what sound plugin I use I can't seem to get the audio to not crackle. I'm using my built-in motherboard audio, and I'm trying to get it to work properly just on Mario 64.

If I do a symbolic link of the Application Support folder for OpenEmu to my iCloud drive, and put the game library folder in iCloud drive, can I basically sync two machines? Any other files I might be forgetting to sync?

nkarafo

Hmm, no matter what sound plugin I use I can't seem to get the audio to not crackle. I'm using my built-in motherboard audio, and I'm trying to get it to work properly just on Mario 64.
I get no cracking by using the Azimer 0.70 plugin.

Did you change anything in the ROM settings? Try disabling "fixed audio timing". This setting is broken and it should be disabled for any game, as long as you are using 3rd party sound plugins. Next to it there is a "sync using audio" option, leave this checked for this game.

An updated RDB should give you the correct default options for the most part. You still need to test a bit though.

Otherwise i can't think of anything else, unless it's a driver/hardware issue, i use an old sound card (audigy 2)

cabel

If I do a symbolic link of the Application Support folder for OpenEmu to my iCloud drive, and put the game library folder in iCloud drive, can I basically sync two machines? Any other files I might be forgetting to sync?

No symbolic link needed — you can set the library location in the prefs.

Also I think this would work.

iKhayal18

Man what possible reason could they have to limit it 10.11+

Yeah, I know that my 24" iMac from 2007 it's a little bit old, but Apple won't let me install any system above Lion on it, even if it's working quite good and I can install Windows 10 on it... But yeah, I understand that by rewriting part of the emulator on Metal for better performance they had to make that "sacrifice".

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah, I know that my 24" iMac from 2007 it's a little bit old, but Apple won't let me install any system above Lion on it, even if it's working quite good and I can install Windows 10 on it... But yeah, I understand that by rewriting part of the emulator on Metal for better performance they had to make that "sacrifice".

Is that mid-2007? It should run on it.

Well this is nice. I've been a fan of OpenEmu since release and it's definitely been the highlight for gaming on Mac for me.

RoyalFool

Banned
The emulator is delicious, most mac users are used to feeling like second class citizens when it comes to emulation. It uses almost identical cores to lib retro but the interface is, well, it's what you'd expect a bunch of apple developers to make.

Even little things like showing each of the pads as you configure them is stuff that is sorely missing from most of the hacked together windows emus (to be fair, emulator developers are usually a very different kettle of fish from UX designers).

Love it.

Top Bottom