• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenEmu 2.0 released with 16 new systems (requires Mac OS X 10.11 or above)

dickroach

I can't get any of my PSP games to be recognized in the Library?
you got em as ISOs? I have them working in the old experimental version just fine

I remember having trouble trying to get PSX games working because you needed the ISO, CUE, and BIN and I'd deleted those, but for PSP just the ISO's fine

I can't get any of my PSP games to be recognized in the Library?

iso files right?
Do you need bios for saturn? I have the bios for the other systems but then for Saturn I thought you need Bios but OpenEmu makes no mention of it.
I have no idea. I tried adding the bios and then the games but it still didn't work. I'll just wait until someone shows up with clear directions on how they got it to work.

The only Saturn game I have is Nights, and that works somewhat. The format is bin/cue. But, it loads, and I can play it, but it struggles. I don't know about other games and multiple CD games like Enemy Zero.

PSP games are ISO files. The 3rd Birthday works for me. Haven't tried others yet.

I gave up on the experimental version since Saturn seems wonky at the moment and it was screwing up my adding of multiple CD PSX games. I think you all should wait on Saturn stuff for a little while.

An iTunes style interface for multiple emulation systems with accessible games via their box arts is a fucking awesome idea but why on Earth is the developer not interested in producing a PC version? The alternative on PC (so RetroArch combined with EmulationStation) is so vastly inferior and much harder to set up than this. This desperately needs a PC version and if so it would become far more popular. It just strikes me as a massive oversight to spend beyond a year producing a new iteration of this and still not release a PC version.

Has the developer ever expressed an intention to port this to PC at some point? Or will it forever remain Mac only?

No symbolic link needed — you can set the library location in the prefs.

Also I think this would work.

I set up OpenEmu on my notebook, and saves don't carry over, and looking into the folder structure, saves aren't saved in the game library location. Rather, they are still saved in application support, so you do need to symbolically link that folder to iCloud or Dropbox to get things to sync. The game library seems to only hold library information, like titles and box art and whatnot. Saves and save states still seem to be in application support.

Ambitious

An iTunes style interface for multiple emulation systems with accessible games via their box arts is a fucking awesome idea but why on Earth is the developer not interested in producing a PC version? The alternative on PC (so RetroArch combined with EmulationStation) is so vastly inferior and much harder to set up than this. This desperately needs a PC version and if so it would become far more popular. It just strikes me as a massive oversight to spend beyond a year producing a new iteration of this and still not release a PC version.

Has the developer ever expressed an intention to port this to PC at some point? Or will it forever remain Mac only?

Very unlikely. The whole point of OpenEmu was to create a quality emulator specifically for OS X, using modern OS X frameworks and technologies, as most Mac emulators are just poor ports from Windows.

From their GitHub page:
OpenEmu is an open source project to bring game emulation to OS X as a first class citizen, leveraging modern OS X technologies such as Cocoa, Core Animation and Quartz, and 3rd party libraries like Sparkle for auto-updating. OpenEmu is based on a modular architecture, allowing for game-engine plugins, this means OpenEmu can support a host of different emulation engines and back-ends while retaining a familiar OS X native front-end.

nkarafo

The alternative on PC (so RetroArch combined with EmulationStation) is so vastly inferior and much harder to set up than this
LaunchBox is pretty close i think:
LaunchBox-Premium-Screenshot-Magenta.png

Just finished building mine. It's pretty cool and it even has a couch mode that OpenEmu lacks, as long as you get the licensed version that is...

The only thing that OpenEmu has over any other frontend is it's amazing controller setup options IMO.

LaunchBox is pretty close i think:

Just finished building mine. It's pretty cool and it even has a couch mode that OpenEmu lacks, as long as you get the licensed version that is...

The only thing that OpenEmu has over any other frontend is it's amazing controller setup options IMO.

Oh wow this is exactly what I was looking for. A fantastic alternative with similar features. Thanks!

Can anyone help me with this?

I can pair my wiimote, but when i go to assign buttons to the ones emulator it will not let me add the right trigger, and it will not let me change any binding at all.

Im using a regular wiimote with a classic controller

Thanks!

Vz2Fn33.png

Can anyone help me with this?

I can pair my wiimote, but when i go to assign buttons to the ones emulator it will not let me add the right trigger, and it will not let me change any binding at all.

Im using a regular wiimote with a classic controller
Try trashing ~/Library/Application Support/OpenEmu/Bindings folder, restart, then reconfigure.

One of the most essential OSX programs. I actually tried to donate money to the devs and they wouldn't accept it!

Plug and play with the dual shock 4 is So awesome

Thanks so much to the devs!

T-0800

I see the experimental version of open emu has mame which I now have. The problem is that non of my games that I add show up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I wish it had better options for configuring the screen resolution, you can't pick the actual aspect ratio or window size so everything ends up just a little off.

I also have a weird issue where using Command S to quick save makes the emulator think my s key is stuck and since I play RPGs mostly and the S is mapped to X, it gets kind of annoying. Restarting usually works but its still obnoxious.

I see the experimental version of open emu has mame which I now have. The problem is that non of my games that I add show up. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Do you know your game rom zips are good? Try emuparadise.

I wish it had better options for configuring the screen resolution, you can't pick the actual aspect ratio or window size so everything ends up just a little off.

I also have a weird issue where using Command S to quick save makes the emulator think my s key is stuck and since I play RPGs mostly and the S is mapped to X, it gets kind of annoying. Restarting usually works but its still obnoxious.
Can you please report these? call the first an "enhancement request" and the second a "bug" https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/issues

deim0s

I just installed this to test this out and... I can use my DS4 with my Mac natively (with a USB cable)! Mind blown.

Chuckpebble

Is there a way to callibrate the sticks on a Classic Controller? Using it with PSP and I'm not getting enough range. My monster hunter is only tip-toe-ing and that simply won't do.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Anyone know how I can switch cores on the system, for example SNES (Higan and Snes9x)?

Other than that, this is the most amazing thing to have come out in a long while when it comes to emulation/retro gaming

SABR filter is awesome too

Has anyone figured out a way to get a steam controller working with it? Is it possible with a third party controller mapper? Any recommendations for a controller mapper?

T-0800

I'm still having all sorts of problems getting arcade ROMs to work. Only 3 work so far. Anything else does nothing and I can't work out why.

T-0800

Can anyone help? The only 3 rooms that work are King of Boxer, Pacman and Circus Charlie. It doesn't make sense that nothing else works.

Need more info.

What happens to the other roms?
Does Openemu accept them into the list?
If so what happens when you click them?
Are they in the approval queue or are they just ignored?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Is port begging an emulator a first?

M3d10n

Is port begging an emulator a first?

Yeah, this is sad.

To answer that poster: this emulator is open source. A quick stroll around it's GitHub page shows that it's made entirely using Objective-C and all sorts of OSX-specific UI APIs, so porting it to anything else would be a nightmare.

It's hard enough to create a good UX in your free time already, let alone make sure it's cross-platform.

Top Bottom