• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera GX, a gaming-focused browser from Opera, is now in Early Access

Bullet Club

• GX Control: You can monitor and limit how much CPU and RAM the browser uses, with both soft (e.g if you're streaming something it might go slightly higher) and hard limits.
  • It has Twitch to tell you when your followed streamers are live (similar to how Opera includes a little side panel for various messaging services)
  • It has "GX Corner", a special page that aggregates gaming news and sales.
  • Special sound effects, designed by the band behind the soundtrack for Gris (which are toggleable)
  • The accent colour is fully customisable, with Razer Chroma support
  • [soon] You'll be able to see videos (e.g walkthroughs, footage and so on), overlaid picture-in-picture over a game you're playing.
YXZPz48.png

KXgCam3.png

ID7ZaVK.png

vs1HcVM.png

jigglet

Banned
That's not bad. But would you have to manually toggle off the CPU limit when you alt+tab? If you do, then no way anyone is going to bother with this.

jigglet

Banned
Opera isn't the Opera of old...wouldn't trust its current ownership group.

Oh! I read the deal fell through. I didn't realise a different deal was approved later on. Fuck this, there's no way this browser would ever touch my PC then.

Sophist

Most of the stuff i have seen from that gaming trend that appeared ten years ago are utter trashes. Both software and hardware.

Elcid

Banned
I love this browser so much. Blocks all ads, has a built in VPN, lets me control my CPU. Everyone worried about muh China, who cares? I'd rather China's government have my data then Microsoft. Wtf is China seriously going to do with my data?
Chinese Data Analyst:
"My Lord, we found another 30 year old male who enjoys video games and occasionally reads articles from the Yahoo front page. He also checks Gmail and likes to send his wife inappropriate memes on Whatsapp."
Chinese President:
"Excellent, it is only a matter of now time before the USA falls at our feet!"

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Everyone worried about muh China, who cares? I'd rather China's government have my data then Microsoft. Wtf is China seriously going to do with my data?
Chinese Data Analyst:
"My Lord, we found another 30 year old male who enjoys video games and occasionally reads articles from the Yahoo front page. He also checks Gmail and likes to send his wife inappropriate memes on Whatsapp."
Chinese President:

I see this sort of comment quite often. Let's assume for a minute you actually comprehend what they're trying to do with this data and the sort of things they are doing with ML and its growing sophistication. Let's assume this is fully factored into your thought process.

So with that aside, do you truly believe that the US government has such unfettered access to everyone's data? Put your cynicism aside for a minute. Do you truly believe there aren't checks and balances in place, there are no legal hurdles they need to jump through, and that all guardians of encryption keys across all data sources across the US are completely and utterly corrupt? Yes the US government has overstepped their boundaries many times but this false equivalency people like you like to make is absurd.

Also I notice something that Chinese-sympathisers like to do - comparisons are always made against the US. There are many more countries than the US, and not all software comes from there, and not all data resides within their borders. Many of us aren't in the US and don't exactly see them in the best light either, but I find this narrative tiresome: where China is no worse than US, and therefore since all western countries = US, then everyone is as bad as China, so fuck it let's just give up any hope of data sovereignty. Here, have all my shit. Seriously?

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
I see this sort of comment quite often. Let's assume for a minute you actually comprehend what they're trying to do with this data and the sort of things they are doing with ML and its growing sophistication. Let's assume this is fully factored into your thought process.

So with that aside, do you truly believe that the US government has such unfettered access to everyone's data? Put your cynicism aside for a minute. Do you truly believe there aren't checks and balances in place, legal hurdles they need to jump through, and that all guardians of encryption keys across all data sources across the US are completely and utterly corrupt? The US government has overstepped their boundaries many times but this false equivalency people like you like to make is absurd.

Also I notice something that Chinese-sympathisers like to do - comparisons are always made against the US. There are many more countries than the US, and not all software comes from there, and not all data resides within their borders. Many of us aren't in the US and don't exactly see them in the highest light either, but I find this narrative of China is no worse than US, and therefore since all western countries = US, then everyone is as bad as China. Seriously?
You missed my point. My point was, what exactly could China possibly accomplish with my precious data that is already whored across every company in the US?

Last edited:

Kadve

Opera is just yet another chromium browser nowadays, i never really seen the point of using one when chrome proper exists.

Ovek

7Member7
Opera is just yet another chromium browser nowadays, i never really seen the point of using one when chrome proper exists.

Well if you use Brave on a Android phone it comes with a half decent AD blocker built in, something Google won't allow on Chrome for Android.

So there is a point depending on what platform your using.

Kadve

Well if you use Brave on a Android phone it comes with a half decent AD blocker built in, something Google won't allow on Chrome for Android.

So there is a point depending on what platform your using.

Yea i was talking about desktop specifically.

Elcid

Banned
Because Chrome has its way with your ram. Everytime someone complains their computer is going super slow the first thing I do is tell them close Chrome.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I love this browser so much. Blocks all ads, has a built in VPN, lets me control my CPU. Everyone worried about muh China, who cares? I'd rather China's government have my data then Microsoft. Wtf is China seriously going to do with my data?
Chinese Data Analyst:
Chinese President:
They will sell your information, browser history, location, etc to businesses and political entities which in turn will build more powerful personalized ad experiences and propaganda to get you to behave the way they want you to behave. There are real costs to using these “free” services.

Microsoft/Google cannot do that due to American regulation, but they do leave the door open for many tracking parties. As someone who works in the industry, your best best protect yourself is to use Firefox/Safari with third party tracking disabled.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
I'd rather China's government have my data then Microsoft. Wtf is China seriously going to do with my data?

Sell it like everyone else. Use that money to acquire the company you work at. Kick you out, replacing you with someone else or worse .. shutdown the company and move it to china.

3 options

A) move to rural china
B) find other job
C) install firefox/chromium

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
Oh no more personalized ads which are blocked in the first place. You all sound like crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists. I'm fine using Opera GX and recommend anyone else not wearing a tinfoil hat go try it out too. It's great.

stranno

What is a gaming browser?
Browser with RGB themes.

Tbh Opera GX is a good gaming-themed Opera mod. It has useful features for people that like streaming and some of those limiting tools actually work, which is quite surprising.

If China is getting some info oh well, I have many Xiaomi devices and even the damn Vacuum can capture network packages.

Last edited:

Miles708

Looks like a bloated mess tbh. I don't need my browser to do all that. Firefox remains the king.

I think I agree, for now Firefox is the lighter, fastest and most complete browser I've tried. Not selling your browsing data is also a nice getsure.

Elcid

Banned
I think I agree, for now Firefox is the lighter, fastest and most complete browser I've tried. Not selling your browsing data is also a nice getsure.
I've mained Firefox since it's original release and it's always been my main until I switched to Opera last year and now GX. I regret nothing. Opera is faster.

Last edited:

PSYGN

This browser syncs with my gaming chair and knows the optimum posture depending on the sites I visit. If that isn't next level browsing I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom