• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation #DQWestVII3DS.

Policies that involve not localising games for the west continues to baffle in this day and age, especially for known brand.

Especially when there doesn't appear to be shit-else coming out for a particular platform, localizing a known brand seems like easy pickings, imo

Meffer

It's stuff like this that made me decide to go into localization. I want to influence more games to be brought over.

random25

This campaign should have a better name: Operation Dragonfall :p

Seriously, I'm gonna support this. Localize please, SE!

I'm in! Operation Rainfall did work, after all, even if that's SE and not Ninty.
Operation Rainfall worked (if it did), because they were asking for already localized games to be released in another region.

While I can get behind the idea of this campaign, people need to realize that Operation Rainfall was asking for something relatively simple and inexpensive before using its success to fill them with a false hope.

RM8

Operation Rainfall worked (if it did), because they were asking for already localized games to be released in another region.

While I can get behind the idea of this campaign, people need to realize that Operation Rainfall was asking for something relatively simple and inexpensive before using its success to fill them with a false hope.
It's just... how difficult would it be to use the original script of the localized Monsters games for the remakes? Did they add a ton of content? I think it's insanely stupid that the DQM games weren't localized. We're even getting Youkai Watch, I refuse to believe the DQM games wouldn't be profitable (yes, I only care about the DQM games :p).

It's just... how difficult would it be to use the original script of the localized Monsters games for the remakes? Did they add a ton of content? I think it's insanely stupid that the DQM games weren't localized. We're even getting Youkai Watch, I refuse to believe the DQM games wouldn't be profitable (yes, I only care about the DQM games :p).

It doesn't surprise me we didn't get the DQM games, given how abysmal the sales for DQMJ2 were on the DS. Seriously, I can't attest to the quality of the game, but the sales made it seem like the boxes were filled with anthrax or something.

What I can't explain is why the original GB games aren't up on the eShop

RM8

It doesn't surprise me we didn't get the DQM games, given how abysmal the sales for DQMJ2 were on the DS. Seriously, I can't attest to the quality of the game, but the sales made it seem like the boxes were filled with anthrax or something.

In part, the DS was on its last legs and at that point it had a pretty huge piracy problem, not to mention the monster-catching genre was a bit over-represented. Not to say they were sure to be huge hits, but I don't see them bombing, to be honest.

Meffer

The reason it did poorly was because we got the lesser game. Japan an expanded version before NoA released the earlier one. They then confirmed that it was what we were getting and what's done was done. So people avoided it.
It was in a bad spot. It was on the DS's final strut, there was no way to update to the new one and nobody wanted to buy the lesser game. NoA could've of waited a bit till the new one was released so they could've worked on that, but I take it that this game wasn't their no. one priority when it came to others they had to work on.
What was a real shame.

Koppai

Someone should make an Operation Dragonfall twitter page but not only for Dragon Quest 7 but other Dragon Quest games? :)

I did my part and tweeted YujiHori, Square Enix JP and USA, NoA, and Bill Trinen @trintran

One thing of note is that Bill Trinen tweeted about the Fatal Frame 5 video last month.

Alright, updated the original post to include a link to OPRainFall's twitter page, as well as included the OPDragonFall hashtag, since it's so catchy.

Just saw one of the tweets with the operation's hashtags is in Japanese! Can anyone help clarify?

@JIn_Fujisawa EUとUSAでDQ7を3DSで発売して欲しいムーブメントが起こりつつあります。めっちゃくちゃ忙しいとは思いますが、EUとUSAへのローカライズ、是非是非ご検討くださいませ。 #DQ7 #DQWestVII3DS #DQVII3DS

Something about a localization movement happening?

cafemomo

Just saw one of the tweets with the operation's hashtags is in Japanese! Can anyone help clarify?

Something about a localization movement happening?

It's just mentioning that a movement is brewing up in the west and he's supportive of it. Asking [square] to consider it

Wereroku

These comments annoy me. Maybe there's some truth here, but why do people think they know what will "really convince Square Enix?" How do you know what will convince Square Enix? Frankly, you don't.

Taking into account this USgamer article that talks about the effect fan mail had on FF Type-0's localization, maybe letting SE know how much fans want to play DQVII isn't a silly thing to do.
So your saying they are going to listen to fans and release dq7 as an hd port on current gen consoles just like type o.

Hugstable

Banned
I love that everyone is doing this and I'll do my part to show support that I would like them to bring Dragon Quest VIIR 3DS to the states. This game is just so great and it's insane to think they completely remade a game with so much content, an RPG with a completion time that was nothing to laugh at. Gabo was awesome hahah

Things like this are what I love about the internet. Very cool.

Me too, really great to see. I went from having no hope and being really dismissive or ever getting to see DQ7, to having more hope especially with them saying that they still might consider it.

I love that everyone is doing this and I'll do my part to show support that I would like them to bring Dragon Quest VIIR 3DS to the states. This game is just so great and it's insane to think they completely remade a game with so much content, an RPG with a completion time that was nothing to laugh at. Gabo was awesome hahah

Me too, really great to see. I went from having no hope and being really dismissive or ever getting to see DQ7, to having more hope especially with them saying that they still might consider it.

I did my part.

Made my contribution. Its really exciting to see this taking off.

Love that others are picking up the baton and running with it.

So we need to keep going. "Brewing up" is a great start, but we need the whole thing

Yeah. Hopefully it'll be a slow, longlasting burn.

Seeing how good Bravely Default sold gives me hope that SE will consider bringing VII over.

Speaking of unannounced 3DS JRPG localizations I'm hoping EOU2 gets announced for the west soon.

It's just... how difficult would it be to use the original script of the localized Monsters games for the remakes? Did they add a ton of content? I think it's insanely stupid that the DQM games weren't localized. We're even getting Youkai Watch
The difficulty is those are Dragon Warrior games so have different monster and spell names. It is best to start over as the old script is not much of a help as a result (plus you have no idea how accurate it was to begin with). Same goes for DQ7 too.

As for Yokai watch. It is a much bigger IP than DQM and has a TV series and other media which can really help it succeed (of course that didn't work for Inazuma Eleven in the UK* but seemed to work in most other parts of Europe). There is also the thing that level5 are kind of growing while Square-Enix are already big.

*-The TV show being given to a cable company who didn't care did not help though.

Nibel

Bwn7zIcIgAAfMsa.png:large

Let's go nuts.

WTF OP, why did you put spaces in their names? Fix that OP

Here's my tweet

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/507215743885115392

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
For the record, SE has coordinated the localizations for every DQ game. Even the ones Nintendo published. And none of them were translated in-house. They were all contracted to Plus Alpha, 8-4, Keywords International, etc.

Well, they're the biggest community of English DQ fans. I think it just goes to show how small that pool really is.

I remember when it was just one guy running it and it was "Dustin's Dragon Quest Shrine", so 3000+ members doesn't seem all that bad. Wonder if Dustin Hubbard is still around?

Also I fully support this endeavor (obviously - DQ7 is one of my favorite PS1 games) but don't really want a Twitter account so I dunno what to do :p

He is. He posts on dragons den from time to time. Ownership of his site basically transfered to dwaine, who is working on a redesign

Thores

Did my part today, tweeted at SEUSA and NoA. I don't have extremely high hopes for this working out, but it's not like inaction improves our chances of success.

Top Bottom