• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation #DQWestVII3DS.

OK, I updated the OP with this info, but figured I'll put it here as well:

TIME TO COMMENCE PHASE 2.0: ~FAN LOG~

So here's a super simple, but (I think cute and fun) idea. Just as you record your progress in Adventure Logs in DQ games, I figured we Western fans should have a fan log. Nibel, I took the sweet ass picture you made, and made this:

JQQV5Vc.jpg

Basically, each fan that receives this fan log, uses up a page drawing, writing, cutting and pasting, haiku-ing, etc. a message expressing our need for DQVII3DS to be released in the west. Take a pic of the page you created, and tweet it at the list above using hashtags #DQWestVII3DS & #FANLOG. Then, send the fan log to another member that PM's you their address. Rinse 'n repeat and so on & so forth. When the last page is filled up, we'll send it to SE. Should we need to, we can start a second fan log and send it to Nintendo.

I took the liberty of getting the ball rolling with a hasty doodle for the first page.

iOQ5ouU.jpg

First person to PM me, I'll send you the fanlog via mail to your address tomorrow. Let's go nuts, and have fun with it guys! :D

(Of course, this doesn't mean we should stop sending out and retweeting regular #DQWestVII3DS tweets that don't involve the fan log.)

Either way, the book is a great idea that I really love. It's something unique and fun.

I think we should also work on a phase three while the book gets passed around. I think it should be something creative, but also focused. I was thinking like a poem campaign.

Something cheesy and fun, like this

Ragnar is Red
Slimes are blue
Not playing Dragon Quest VII 3DS
Makes me sad at you.

Come up with something creative and then email it to:

na.support@square-enix.com

Either way, the book is a great idea that I really love. It's something unique and fun.

I think we should also work on a phase three while the book gets passed around. I think it should be something creative, but also focused. I was thinking like a poem campaign.

Something cheesy and fun, like this

Ragnar is Red
Slimes are blue
Not playing Dragon Quest VII 3DS
Makes me sad at you.

Come up with something creative and then email it to:

na.support@square-enix.com

I feel like I should send them a pic of the Dragon Quest crap I have in my curio cabinet (including Kenshin DQ) just to prove that people in NA like it. The lack of a localized version of DQVII 3DS makes me super sad, and is even bought it twice on PSX.

Eusis

What is reason for such desperation? The game was released 13 years ago in North America.
A new version that irons out the issues the original had, possibly including the localization itself if they do go through that.

Which is also why we haven't heard anything, because clearly they'd redo it whereas if they'd go the quick and dirty route of translating new bits and switching names around when appropriate it really WOULD be dumb to have not bothered already, at least as a DD release. But not many seriously want quick and dirty, and they'd still have to deal with the other European languages the games are usually localized into.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What is reason for such desperation? The game was released 13 years ago in North America.
That was Dragon Warrior VII not Dragon Quest VII!

But in all seriousness DW VII is one of those games that aren't found very cheaply anymore! An thats bad for peoples like me who've jumped into the series well past its release an haven't had the chance ta play it.

HeeHo

I have never played DQVII. I've played all ths DS remakes though. DQVII and SMTIV were my main motivational factors in purchasing a 3DS. I hope we eventually get this!! I don't know how to show support other than making a twitter account (idontwantto,btw).

• Older version looks pretty achaic.
  • 3DS version isn't just a port, but rather a remake
  • 3DS has become a natural home for JPRG's in the West. It's where most of the fans for the genre are, so a game like this needs to be on this platform
  • OG PS version is rare, and it's not even on PSN
  • How is this series (and genre as a whole) supposed to flourish in the West if they keep skipping amazing candidates like DQVII?

Also, evanmisha brought to my attention this lovely little video lol. Maybe we should just start making videos at Mr. Horii.

Oh and here's a clearer pic of my doodle on the Fanlog.

i4GemrD.jpg

BTW, still waiting for someone to send the log to guys. Who wants to do page 2?

I have never played DQVII. I've played all ths DS remakes though. DQVII and SMTIV were my main motivational factors in purchasing a 3DS. I hope we eventually get this!! I don't know how to show support other than making a twitter account (idontwantto,btw).

If I had to rank the series, I would do so like this:

Best
DQVII
DQIII
DQIV
DQVI
DQV
DQIX
DQVIII
DQI
DQII
Worst

Dragon Quest VII is my favorite in the series. This is a controversial opinion, but I loved the episodic nature of the game, the atmosphere. The individual story vignettes are the best in the franchise, and the overarching story is fantastic as well. Great cast of characters. the 3DS version changes some of the stuff I liked, such as the beginning of the game, but it doesn't sound as neutered as the DS version of VI

Dragon Quest III is the game that defined Dragon Quest. I and II were prototypes. The game's balance of humor and seriousness was first seen here. The game's story is fantastic. The sense of scale unmatched.

DQIV used to be my favorite in the franchise. Hell, my username is a DQIV reference. There is so much that this game did right. Unfortunately, the DS version's translation was so bad, it caused my to reconsider this game's placement. Probably the best cast of characters in the franchise though, and shitty translation aside, this game's story is emotional to me. Peak Sugiyama here.

DQVI is a game that apparently a lot of people didn't care for. A shame, because I am rather fond of it. I'm a sucker for class systems after all (even if I don't fully understand them). Some of Toriyama's coolest character designs (Hassan and Terry are some of my favorites). A very creepy yet epic soundtrack by sugiyama, and a great collection of iconic villains.

DQV has probably the best central narrative in the franchise. It's a multigenerational story of a family, which makes it probably the most intimate story in the franchise. However, because of that the town vignettes suffered IMHO, which sucks because due to the DQ formula, you spend more time with those vignettes than you do the main story. if this sounds like like I'm being hard on DQV, you'd be wrong though. DQV is an amazing title.

DQIX: I spent more time with this game than any other DQ, even DQVII. I imported the japanese version when it was released there. I thought the story concept and town vignettes both equally good. Pacing issues aside, the plot was great. I just wish there was more of it. My biggest complaint is that the main story is too easy. Some of the post game stuff is pretty challenging though. I had a blast with multiplayer. Something like 200 hours of multiplay, with my BFF

DQVIII: This game is the FFVII of Dragon Quests. It's a very pretty game, even by today's standards. However, coming off of DQVII, I felt it was a step backwards in terms of gameplay. I felt the graphics limited the gameplay. Still, it was a meaty game. I thought the story overall, pretty good though to be honest I didn't like the main cast of characters outside of Trode. The design of the final boss also sucked.

Dragon Quest I: This game, and Dragon Quest II, are prototypes for what the franchise would become. Being the first console JRPG, it's pretty outdated (though remakes have gone to great lengths to alleviate some of this). Still, it's charming in a sort of Beowulvian sort of way. It's certainly a respectable title, but the series has come a long way.

Dragon Quest II: Dragon Quest II is a hard game to explain why it's my least favorite. On one hand, it was ambitious and tried to do everything DQI did, but bigger and better. You have an actual party now, for example. But frankly, I think it botches a lot of it's execution. It still feels outdated, as does DQ1. But DQ1's still charming in its simplicity. DQ2 never feels quite right. Still, it has one of the best soundtracks in the franchise.

Dragon Quest X, I haven't played enough to fairly rank it. From what I HAVE played though, I would say it would probably be closer to the top of the list. Despite being an MMO, it very much plays and feels like a Dragon Quest, and I really liked the story from what I played of it.

DQIX: I spent more time with this game than any other DQ, even DQVII. I imported the japanese version when it was released there. I thought the story concept and town vignettes both equally good. Pacing issues aside, the plot was great. I just wish there was more of it. My biggest complaint is that the main story is too easy. Some of the post game stuff is pretty challenging though. I had a blast with multiplayer. Something like 200 hours of multiplay, with my BFF

I feel like, maybe not counting X, IX was pretty controversial. I still loved it to pieces though. From what I see and hear, it seems like VII, VIII and V are the most loved.

this is the first one of these I'm taking part in. we can nudge them in the right direction.

Awesome. In perfect world, we'd have full 3DS remakes of VII and VIII released and localized. :p

I feel like, maybe not counting X, IX was pretty controversial. I still loved it to pieces though. From what I see and hear, it seems like VII, VIII and V are the most loved.

Awesome. In perfect world, we'd have full 3DS remakes of VII and VIII released and localized. :p

Maybe DQVIII can come out on the n3DS

friz898

Could the new 3ds run it without the huge graphical hit Xenoblade took? Obvious be best on Vita but chances slim on that, and I would not want the ios version.

sörine

Banned
Could the new 3ds run it without the huge graphical hit Xenoblade took? Obvious be best on Vita but chances slim on that, and I would not want the ios version.
I could actually see Vita getting DQVIII but then it'd definitely be a port of the Unity based smartphone version. Only 3DS really has the marketbase to make an original conversion.

Gestault

Dear Square,

I'm not your marketing division. If you're a company which publishes videogames regionally, but the idea of releasing a well-known, finished product of high quality to the largest game market in the world is a problem for you, then you should consider new management. I hope you do poorly in the marketplace until this sort of situation is no longer seen as a challenge by your current management.

Exasperatedly,
Gestault

SunGod

I don't want to keep repeating the same/similar tweets daily, but if that's what everyone else is doing...?

I don't intend on tweeting constantly, but I'm hoping the message still gets around.

On that note, it looks like DQ1 should hit iOS in the next day (Android assumed to be on the way). From what I've caught, its a new localization built on the SNES version of the game that looks incredibly solid. Its a good opportunity for voting with dollars and supporting the franchise.

I don't want to keep repeating the same/similar tweets daily, but if that's what everyone else is doing...?

It's why I went with the FANLOG idea. Of course, people can still post their own creative messages even if they don't receive the log itself. So, don't feel restrained guys. :D

Top Bottom