• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition |OT| Mourning Wood

This game is so damn amazing. The one thing that irks me is this 'easy' mode, its no different from normal lol

lol probably the devs way of tricking people into thinking they were safe. but no matter what difficulty once you get every ability's and max out upgrades this game is not only at its game play peak because it feels so amazing to move about with every power up but also gets tons easier because how tanky ori gets and difficult areas become a breeze.

overall the movement in this game is the goat and some of the best feeling game play around.

Coxy100

Banned
Could be its ones that need you to light certain hanging plants with the light projectile. cause that had me stumped for a while until I saw something out of place and used that on it.
Is that a power you get in the new zones?

This is an example of one of the pillars:

image_zpsdumpqefx.jpeg

Is that a power you get in the new zones?

This is an example of one of the pillars:

image_zpsdumpqefx.jpeg

Yes, it's called Light Burst and you use it to light torches to open those barriers. You get it in the Lost Grove, which is below Black Root Burros. The torch for the one in your pic is directly above it almost, above and slightly to the right of the tall tree to the right of that barrier. Also make sure to quote your pics please. Keeps them from being huge in people's browser. ;)

Coxy100

Banned
Yes, it's called Light Burst and you use it to light torches to open those barriers. You get it in the Lost Grove, which is below Black Root Burros. The torch for the one in your pic is directly above it almost, above and slightly to the right of the tall tree to the right of that barrier. Also make sure to quote your pics please. Keeps them from being huge in people's browser. ;)
Thanks mate - very helpful. Yep normally do quote - just forgot :)

epmode

I wonder if this delay is just waiting for MS to certify a PC patch (sigh) or something else.

Game, let me buy you.

BraXzy

What a way to ruin your experience.. The game crashed on me in what I assume was the end cutscenes.... Thanks a lot Xbox.

Back to so the entire thing prior to it.

hlhbk

The fact that we are in April and don't have a set release date on PC is a joke. So much for Microsoft being committed to PC gaming. Funny how the devs went silent as well.

jb1234

The fact that we are in April and don't have a set release date on PC is a joke. So much for Microsoft being committed to PC gaming. Funny how the devs went silent as well.

It's extremely frustrating but I blame Microsoft for this. I doubt the devs are allowed to say anything.

Iscariot

They tweeted a day or so ago that they were done and just waiting on cert. Kind of a bummer, I was hoping to gift it to a friend for his birthday, but it's the 2nd.

We can't comment (NDAs) unless Microsoft confirmed the release date - which should be soon and the game should be out very soon. Sorry for the delays, guys, but now Ori is also a lot more optimized and should run nicely on your Surfaces and other lower end PCs - AND: PC version fully supports 21:9! :)

We can't comment (NDAs) unless Microsoft confirmed the release date - which should be soon and the game should be out very soon. Sorry for the delays, guys, but now Ori is also a lot more optimized and should run nicely on your Surfaces and other lower end PCs - AND: PC version fully supports 21:9! :)

I wont say I told everyone so. Oh wait, yeah I will. Told yall so! :)

I wonder if this delay is just waiting for MS to certify a PC patch (sigh) or something else.

Game, let me buy you.

Is the Steam version still coming or is this going to be a Windows 10 store only thing?

Nemesis_

EDIT

Okay so every area on my map is 100%. But I have only 14/15 blue orbs. Is there one in Mount Horu or has the game glitched out on me?

JonnyKong

There might be an area you haven't explored, look at the map and try spot any greyed out areas maybe?

Edit: if you've unlocked all abilities, you should be able to see the blue orb on your map somewhere. If you can't see if, then that sounds like an unfortunate glitch.

Played the Def. Ed. in my easter holidays, loved it once again like the first time I played Ori! My wife got totally hooked and immediately started replaying it on her profile!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So what? They should have either pushed release back on XBO or got the PC version done in time for the XBO release.

So when the game is completely finished for Xbox One and optimisations still have to be done for the PC version you think Microsoft should withold the Xbox version from the players just so Xbox owners cannot play the game earlier than PC players?

Coxy100

Banned
Just finished my second playthrough - damn I love this game. Been gaming since the 80's and this game is...

1) only the second game I've ever played more than once (KOTOR was the other)
2) the only game I've ever cried at - jesus the beginning is amazing.

Love this game :)

when is the release date? i'm growing impatient

I'm sorry for the delay, I know a lot of people are annoyed that they can't play it yet. I can't officially confirm it yet, but I have a set release date and it's very, very, very close, we'll be able to make a few announcements soon :)

cwistofu

I'm sorry for the delay, I know a lot of people are annoyed that they can't play it yet. I can't officially confirm it yet, but I have a set release date and it's very, very, very close, we'll be able to make a few announcement soon :)

Patiently waiting. Will be there the moment it hits Steam. Thanks for the constant communication.

Coxy100

Banned
when is the release date? i'm growing impatient
Entitled gamer again? All you had to do was read the posts above yours.

Thomas has made it plain why he can't talk about it - rather than saying how impatient you are perhaps it would be nicer to be grateful the game is being released soon and also appreciate how the dev is so active in this thread...

hlhbk

So when the game is completely finished for Xbox One and optimisations still have to be done for the PC version you think Microsoft should withold the Xbox version from the players just so Xbox owners cannot play the game earlier than PC players?

The PC version of games should be given the exact same priority as the console versions. They all should release the exact same date.

hlhbk

Thomas has made it plain why he can't talk about it - rather than saying how impatient you are perhaps it would be nicer to be grateful the game is being released soon and also appreciate how the dev is so active in this thread...

There is nothing entitled about this at all. Pushing back the PC version never should have happened.

nynt9

It's so bizarre that the developer of the game isn't allowed to talk about when the PC version is supposed to get updated. What possible non malicious reason could MS have to do this? (The malicious reason being trying to entice people to get the console version)

It's so bizarre that the developer of the game isn't allowed to talk about when the PC version is supposed to get updated. What possible non malicious reason could MS have to do this? (The malicious reason being trying to entice people to get the console version)

Console version was done and optimized first...so they decided to release that first?

You got me on the not being able to talk about part, but it could be maybe just that the NDA prevents talking about anything before it's officially announced? And maybe they didn't want to announce a date until they were completely sure that they'd hit that date?

Or in other words, maybe the PC version took more work, and they weren't entirely sure how much longer they'd need...preventing the announcement of a release date...which then prevented the developers from discussing a release date since none had been announced (due to NDA)...maybe?

Then again, that's just one explanation. Could be more malicious, as you state. Speculating about the reasons won't make the game come sooner for PC users...

Here's the likely scenario -

Thomas mentioned around the time of the console release that the PC version had a severe bug that needed to be patched before it could be released.

a. We don't know how long it took them to fix this bug or even if this bug is fixed yet
b. It would be un-Microsoft to let them release the steam version ahead of the windows store version.
c. Windows store version requires certification

So they've probably spent this time fixing issues that remained in the PC build and submitting builds for certification to Microsoft and with MS being the publisher, they aren't allowed to release the steam version ahead of the windows store version even if the bugs have been fixed and the game is ready.

hlhbk

Here's the likely scenario -

Thomas mentioned around the time of the console release that the PC version had a severe bug that needed to be patched before it could be released.

a. We don't know how long it took them to fix this bug or even if this bug is fixed yet
b. It would be un-Microsoft to let them release the steam version ahead of the windows store version.
c. Windows store version requires certification

So they've probably spent this time fixing issues that remained in the PC build and submitting builds for certification to Microsoft and with MS being the publisher, they aren't allowed to release the steam version ahead of the windows store version even if the bugs have been fixed and the game is ready.

Which is everything wrong with the Windows store and the stance ms is taking on PC gaming. Please go back to the Xbox and quit sabotaging the pc market.

Kiyoshi

There is nothing entitled about this at all. Pushing back the PC version never should have happened.

It absolutely should have. Thomas has detailed here how they identified issues with some PC configurations late in the day which require development work, so the release was delayed. While disappointing, it's the right thing to have done.

Kiyoshi

The PC version of games should be given the exact same priority as the console versions. They all should release the exact same date.

This was the aim. The PC issues were identified late in the day, requiring that version to be delayed. There's no logical reason to then also delay the Xbox version.

Fardeen

its not entitled its a legitimate question, it was supposed to be released at a specific point, later we learn it had issues, now its been a while since we heard anything, and the NDA :( i really want to play this game, i love ori. i understand thomas is under NDA , its just frustrating not knowing anything, i really appreciate the dev commenting

Coxy100

Banned
It absolutely should have. Thomas has detailed here how they identified issues with some PC configurations late in the day which require development work, so the release was delayed. While disappointing, it's the right thing to have done.

This.

Saying "Pushing back the PC version never should have happened." is ridiculous - they found bugs and so had to push it back. How on earth can that not be defended?!

I know it's frustrating that Thomas can't talk about it - but blimey if any game is worth waiting for it's Ori !

So what? They should have either pushed release back on XBO or got the PC version done in time for the XBO release.

Im not sure what sort of logic this is...

The Xbox One version was finished and done, ready to go, they had a last minute thing with the PC release which delayed it a bit.

They didn't print X amount of copies for retailers so why should they delay a perfectly fine version on one platform (pressing a button) due to a last minute delay to another?

That literally makes no sense and I'm glad I got to play it on Xbox One already. I get the frustration but I don't see what they gain from delaying all versions when it is done

Im sure you would be the first person in here to complain about it if the PC version had a problem

Maybe they didn't want to promise something in case it hit another snag just before

Silvawuff

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! I'm frustrated too, but the wait will be worth it to re-experience Ori again!

It's definitely interesting to follow the discussion and I get that people are frustrated over the delay - We basically had to face the decision of artificially delaying the Xbox One version that we felt worked absolutely fine or just release it for now and then try to release the PC version as quickly as possible afterwards.

Obviously we knew that some PC players would be annoyed by this decision, but trust me, you'd be much more annoyed if you'd have been the person who'd get hit by some annoying perf issues and i just don't want Moon Studios to be known as a studio that throws products out in an unfinished state, so we all felt like the right thing to do is to fix those problems ASAP and deliver something we'll be proud of in the future and that should ultimately make everyone happy :)

You could definitely give us some shit for not finding these issues earlier and announcing a release date before we went through a final round of testing (usually we wouldn't expect to see some show-stoppers at that stage, but since it's impossible for us internally to test on the hundreds of possible PC specs, this kinda stuff can just happen on a platform that's as open as the PC), but I hope you can forgive the short delay for an ultimately much better experience for everyone.

It's only a few more days to wait now and you should hear concrete news very soon! :)

It's definitely interesting to follow the discussion and I get that people are frustrated over the delay - We basically had to face the decision of artificially delaying the Xbox One version that we felt worked absolutely fine or just release it for now and then try to release the PC version as quickly as possible afterwards.

Im sure a simultaneous launch would have been preferable for you but thanks for not doing that artificial delay, the Xbox One release was perfect and it came out in a really good space for me to play it :)

Which is everything wrong with the Windows store and the stance ms is taking on PC gaming. Please go back to the Xbox and quit sabotaging the pc market.

So you want MS to "go back to Xbox" and not release Ori DE on PC like, AT ALL? Because you do know they OWN the Ori IP. Also as has been stated, it wasnt just windows cert. The PC delay was also due to a last-minute bug fix.

My neck hurts I'm shaking it so hard in dismay at your post right now. Good grief.

@Moon Studios - TYVM for all of your hard work. You guys dont deserve some of the venom on this forum.

Top Bottom