• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition |OT| Mourning Wood

External HDD? It never happened to me using a mains powered 3.5" HDD but it happened on my brothers console which uses a USB powered 2.5" external. It doesn't seem to like slower drives.

Yeah slower HDDs are likely the problem. The Xbox One's internal drive is a shitty slow one. External, faster drives with USB 3.0 for good data transfer rates have already proven to be better than using the internal one in many instances. This is likely no different.

I've played this for a few hours now, what exactly is new or has been improved about the fast travel/backtracking? The various wells that you can fast travel between were there in the original version, weren't they?

The original did not have fast travel. You could not revisit Ginso Tree, Forlorn Ruins, or Misty Woods in the original after completing them, either. And once you finished Mt Horu in the original, the game file was locked with no ability to go back for missed secrets or to replay anything... you had to start over. So yes, it is pretty improved in the DE.

I see. Didn't Microsoft fund the development of the first Mass Effect though?

In any case, it's not a big deal. I can get it on the Xbox when I buy one. Eventually.

MS owns the IP so zero chance of it coming to other consoles.

External HDD? It never happened to me using a mains powered 3.5" HDD but it happened on my brothers console which uses a USB powered 2.5" external. It doesn't seem to like slower drives.

Internal HDD, I guess that's the issue, will move it to external and see if things change.

Waiting for the pc release of the definitive edition. But will probably buy the game again on my Xbox One when I get paid tomorrow anyway to show support. One of my favourite games I've ever played. Beautiful stuff. Can't wait to see what they do next :)

JonnyKong

Thankyou Life expectancy for your answer above. I could have sworn those fast travel wells were there in the original version, but I realise now I am mistaken.

Anyway, completed the Genso tree last night, what a rush! This game is truly just as superb second time over.

ArjanN

Thankyou Life expectancy for your answer above. I could have sworn those fast travel wells were there in the original version, but I realise now I am mistaken.

Anyway, completed the Genso tree last night, what a rush! This game is truly just as superb second time over.

The wells were there but you couldn't fast travel from them.

Coxy100

Banned
The issue happened to me more than once going horizontal, Ori goes to the edge of the screen but since assets are still loading it is stuck there till the loading is complete.

I get this problem too.

I'm using an external hard drive - happens often.

Heads up on merchandise: the shirts run a fair bit small. I would order at least one size bigger than you normally do if you prefer loose-fitting clothes, maybe two sizes bigger. They are exchanging mine for bigger ones without hassle, prepaid return label and all, but just wanna save everyone else the time. They look awesome though. ;)

JonnyKong

Oh man this game is just SO GOOD. I've just entered the second temple (Forlorn). I've got all the collectibles revealed on my map now, I'll most definitely be going for the 100% this time around now it's much more accessible to do so.

Silvawuff

Still looking forward to playing this game all over again. Glad to hear there'll be news soon on the PC side release. You guys at Moon are incredible!

Lichter

Just beautiful.

L8JLu36.jpg

JonnyKong

How in God's name is anybody supposed to complete this with just one life? That sounds like an absurd impossibility to me.

Imagine getting to the very last scene and then being killed, just the sheer frustration would destroy a person.

KarmaCow

How in God's name is anybody supposed to complete this with just one life? That sounds like an absurd impossibility to me.

Imagine getting to the very last scene and then being killed, just the sheer frustration would destroy a person.

Well you can save scum it with backup saves unless they changed it for DE version. I imagine it would kinda tedious to manually copy over saves each time but if you're worried about the heartache of dying at the end, it's there.

disap.ed

Waiting for the pc release of the definitive edition. But will probably buy the game again on my Xbox One when I get paid tomorrow anyway to show support. One of my favourite games I've ever played. Beautiful stuff. Can't wait to see what they do next :)

Will this come to Steam or Windows 10 store only?

JonnyKong

Well you can save scum it with backup saves unless they changed it for DE version. I imagine it would kinda tedious to manually copy over saves each time but if you're worried about the heartache of dying at the end, it's there.

I died 300 or so times when I completed this game recently, there's no way I'm risking a one life run!

Nemesis_

I am admittedly very lazy but I don't care.

Bought the upgrade and ready to jump in - but wondering if people are able to tell me if there are still missable areas that I can't return to like in the original? I can't remember which areas those were but I will make a mental note to scour those areas before completing them if that's the case.

Can't wait to jump back in :D

I got through all the way through the ginso tree without dying this play through (on normal) I began to believe I could pull it off then a stupid jump killed me😒. I ended up dying 100 times after that.. I should never believe myself.

My wife recently got into games and this is literally the second game she has ever played. She died a lot. She died 700 times but persevered. That is a testament to how amazing this game is. A game that can kill you 700 time but you push through to complete it... Wow. The game is really amazing from its design, art, music etc. My game of the year for 2015 easily.

JonnyKong

I'd be really intrigued to know how many people have completed it with one life. I wonder if Thomas has access to the achievements earned.

Just finished the DE (which I've been playing over the course of the weekend) Bliss.

A perfect game, and all of the updates were wonderfully done. 100% on everything. Only downside is...it's over.

(And I'll never be good enough to complete it in 3 hours, one life etc etc - Hard mode is a maybe!)

Thanks Moon. More please.

epmode

The Steam app was last updated roughly a week-and-a-half ago, so at least it's not a "strategic" delay.

I'm thinking it's exactly as the devs said: They ran into technical issues that they wanted to patch before release. The problem is that MS apparently has to run through a console-style patch certification. Even for PC games. Even for games not on the Windows 10 store.

Ori was a huge success for us and we sold way more copies than any of us thought we would - We can't release any sales figures due to NDAs, but yeah, we're already working on new projects. And I'm SUUUUUPER excited about the stuff we're currently doing, it'll blow you guys off your socks :) So thanks to everyone who supported and supports us by buying Ori - It definitely helps us making more and better stuff! :)

Hey buddy.

Thanks for making my favorite game of the last 5 years.

I've done two any % and two 100% runs on one life mode now. It's definitely doable with a little practice. Relaxing during Mt Horu is key. My first run on OG Ori had 273 deaths. The only really tricky part is avoiding instant-death spots in Mt Horu, especially if you get a lot of the upgrades.

Before my first successful run on OG Ori I had seven runs end in a death in Mt Horu, less than 5-10 minutes before the end. That was mostly nerves though. Patience and relaxing are key.

So how easy is easy mode? Is the game still challenging at all?

It's pretty close to normal tbh. The enemies and environment do less damage, but instant death spots are still instant death, so it's still easy to die some places.

Just finished the DE (which I've been playing over the course of the weekend) Bliss.

A perfect game, and all of the updates were wonderfully done. 100% on everything. Only downside is...it's over.

(And I'll never be good enough to complete it in 3 hours, one life etc etc - Hard mode is a maybe!)

Thanks Moon. More please.

You can do it man! 3hrs is actually extremely forgiving for a speedrun, and hard mode isnt that bad once you get upgrades. Do those two at least, even if you dont try One Life. :)

BraXzy

I bought the original game on Xbox at launch because I loved the look of it but for one reason or another I never got round to playing it. After hearing about the definitive edition I was ready to jump in but was gonna wait for the PC version. Today I saw someone mention it and gave in, upgrade bought on Xbox and currently playing through.

I'm not the best at platformers so I've had a few frustrations, a couple times I've forgotten I needed to manually saved and died but other than that I'm loving it! Beautiful art, superb music.. I just completed
the tree sequence and holy crap it was incredible. The pressure to get up to the surface, the intensity, the coming together of the new mechanics I'd learnt along the way. Jaw dropped slightly at the end of it haha.
Onwards I go!

Corpekata

Banned
Starting to get into conspiracy "is probably a 30 day exclusive window" territory.

At this point they're probably launching in the wake of Quantum Break and Dark Souls 3 for me, so don't know if I'll even play it anymore at launch.

Yep, like the Xbox 360 version...

I don't think it's getting one.

jb1234

Starting to get into conspiracy "is probably a 30 day exclusive window" territory.

At this point they're probably launching in the wake of Quantum Break and Dark Souls 3 for me, so don't know if I'll even play it anymore at launch.

Yeah, this is really the only opening I have right now. It'll be a shame if it's still a few weeks out.

Coxy100

Banned
Question to those who have finished the game...
ive just got the power where you can grip the wall and then fly off at speed to knock out some pillars and get the goodies on the other side...
But I've come across some pillars that won't break - I'm sure I don't remember them in the original game - is there a new power that unlocks these pillars? I've searched and searched to find something nearby to stomp but I can't find anything - so I'm guessing a new power opens them??

Question to those who have finished the game...
ive just got the power where you can grip the wall and then fly off at speed to knock out some pillars and get the goodies on the other side...
But I've come across some pillars that won't break - I'm sure I don't remember them in the original game - is there a new power that unlocks these pillars? I've searched and searched to find something nearby to stomp but I can't find anything - so I'm guessing a new power opens them??

Could be its ones that need you to light certain hanging plants with the light projectile. cause that had me stumped for a while until I saw something out of place and used that on it.

Top Bottom