• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Bayonetta WILL BE available digitally on the eShop when you buy Bayonetta 2

Frodo

Yep. Added to OP.

And, guys, just to add to the confusion, this is from Platinum Games' Website:

Every copy of Bayonetta 2 will come with a special Wii U version of the original Bayonetta! See how amazing Climax Action can feel playing with touch controls on the Wii U GamePad! This exclusive Wii U version will also contain a special set of costumes hand-picked by the original game’s director, Hideki Kamiya himself! From hardcore action fan to complete novice gamer, this Bayonetta is guaranteed to be a thrill ride.
http://platinumgames.com/games/bayonetta-2/

So, it seems, from this excerpt that Bayonetta will be on disk (or in a separate disk) for retail version. But... well...

What a terrible time to be in Europe and be aged 16-18 (I'm not :) )...will that download code or promo last 2 years? (for those unaware Bayo 2 is PEGI 16 but Bayo 1 is PEGI 18)

The free game you get when registering MK8 gives you DDP points.
If it costs money on the eShop you will get DDP points for the retail release code I guess.

But for eShop buyers. Say it is $15 on the eShop. I imagine it will be like the Super Mario Kart discount* and deduct something from the price you pay on the eShop and thus affect your NNP points. (for buying SMK+MK8 I got the same NNP points as I would have gotten for buying MK8 on its own).

*-In Europe we got the cost of SMK back when purchasing MK8. Problem is most eShops are more expensive than retail here...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Too bad, the sparse line up and the included Bayo 1 made me consider buying Bayo 2, but if Bayo 1 is just a download, I will not do that.

Frodo

I don't see how that's confusing. It would still come with a WiiU version of Bayonetta 1 even if it's a download code. You're getting the game. :p

I just want non-ambiguous, clear language where the meaning can be easily understood and unable to lead to confusion. :p

Yoshi

This. But I doubt it happened 'cause of that.
Nintendo will save money by not having to press double the discs. The disc would probably have enough space for both games but they'd have to mess with the filesystem, menu, the way the drive reads the disc depending on the game... a bunch of engineering which would bloat the cost of what is a nice free bonus. Having said that, I'm sad and really disappointed since initially we were led to assume it was on disc for retail purchases :/

Could they not just do it the same way the collections on Sony systems work? You put in the disc, a selection screen comes up when you start the disc and then the chosen game starts? This would not be much work and no work on the filesystem would be needed either, would it?

Could they not just do it the same way the collections on Sony systems work? You put in the disc, a selection screen comes up when you start the disc and then the chosen game starts? This would not be much work and no work on the filesystem would be needed either, would it?

They've already done exactly this with various releases, such as Super Mario All-Stars, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and I think the Kirby Collection.

Digital and Nintendo is something I remember as avoiding at all costs... that may have changed and I'm not up to speed but I will buy a physical disc!

Persona7

Banned

I thought this was mentioned during the b1 stream with the developers. I vaguely remember them talking about choosing which game you want from the menu.

Looking at the W101 filesize I personally think both won't fit on a single layer disc and I have a feeling Nintendo are keen not to go dual layer this time (after last gen of using drives tested for DVD5 try to read DVD9 and as a result some fail).

This reminds me I remember in 2003 getting a separate disc with Zelda Wind Waker and those bonus games may well have been able to fit on the Wind Waker disc too, especially if the ending FMV was a bit shorter (these FMVs are where most of the disc space went) yet here in 2014 a bonus game have a separate disc seems like a distant dream. I guess this is a more convieniant distribution platform.

I just don't like how it may be a special edition implying something physical about it is special rather than just being a digital component and also time limited digital downloads are a horrible practice (NOE did this with Mario Lost levels initially, then a year or so later woke up and thought people like to buy things so put them up for sale). Basically, if only the question was "can we buy Bayo 1 separately?"

Cuburt

Fuck yes!

I was prepared to buy it physically if need be but I would be very disappointed to break my all digital streak just to get both games.

I really REALLY hope Bayonetta 1 is included on the disc, since I'm going retail.

If it's a download code though, fair enough. I'm just happy we're getting both games.

Looking at the W101 filesize I personally think both won't fit on a single layer disc and I have a feeling Nintendo are keen not to go dual layer this time (after last gen of using drives tested for DVD5 try to read DVD9 and as a result some fail).

Wouldn't whatever Blu-Ray drive Nintendo used have more of an effect on this than what happened with the Wii?

Too bad, the sparse line up and the included Bayo 1 made me consider buying Bayo 2, but if Bayo 1 is just a download, I will not do that.

You're as bad as the people who were swearing off the game over no digital for both yesterday.

What a terrible time to be in Europe and be aged 16-18 (I'm not :) )...will that download code or promo last 2 years? (for those unaware Bayo 2 is PEGI 16 but Bayo 1 is PEGI 18)

If it costs money on the eShop you will get DDP points for the retail release code I guess.

But for eShop buyers. Say it is $15 on the eShop. I imagine it will be like the Super Mario Kart discount* and deduct something from the price you pay on the eShop and thus affect your NNP points. (for buying SMK+MK8 I got the same NNP points as I would have gotten for buying MK8 on its own).

*-In Europe we got the cost of SMK back when purchasing MK8. Problem is most eShops are more expensive than retail here...

I doubt there's a single person aged 16 or 17 that can't play 18 rated games lol

I really REALLY hope Bayonetta 1 is included on the disc, since I'm going retail.

If it's a download code though, fair enough. I'm just happy we're getting both games.

I'm thinking the same way.
I would rather have Bayo1 on the same disc or at least on another disc in the same package.

Because when I have Bayo2 I really want to replay Bayo1 first and it would suck if I had to download 8-12 GB or whatever first.

Yoshi

You're as bad as the people who were swearing off the game over no digital for both yesterday.

Bayonetta is not exactly my genre, so I'm only considering it because there are not too many games announced for me at the end of the year. If I play the second, I also want to play the first one, though. Getting both games for 60€ makes it a good deal and I will probably buy it then. If I only get the second game (and download codes don't have any value to me) then the game is not worth 60€ for me. Call that bad as much as you want, 60€ for only the second game in the series in a genre I find OK but not great, is not worth it for me.

tebunker

Banned
Bayonetta is not exactly my genre, so I'm only considering it because there are not too many games announced for me at the end of the year. If I play the second, I also want to play the first one, though. Getting both games for 60€ makes it a good deal and I will probably buy it then. If I only get the second game (and download codes don't have any value to me) then the game is not worth 60€ for me. Call that bad as much as you want, 60€ for only the second game in the series in a genre I find OK but not great, is not worth it for me.

I find it odd that you are so averse to the download code. Your prerogative though.

To me it doesn't matter I am going digital. More money goes directly to the source, I get to vote with my wallet more, and no disks I just play from the quick start menu. Oh and that digital deluxe bonus is wonderful

Khaz

There is a precedent with DLC being moved to an independent retail release, it being Super Luigi U. Let's start begging. I have faith.

Son Of D

Do we know if this is a limited promotion? I don't plan on getting a wii u till the new Zelda comes out.

I refer to my previous post:

The UK website for Wii U mentions a special edition for Bayonetta 2. And it says "Please note: the special edition is rated PEGI 18 as it includes Bayonetta.".

Not 100% confirmation but it's a good possibility that it is just for the SE copies (at least in EU).

Not sure what region you're in but it could possibly be limited in some regions (if not all).

I find it odd that you are so averse to the download code. Your prerogative though.

To me it doesn't matter I am going digital. More money goes directly to the source, I get to vote with my wallet more, and no disks I just play from the quick start menu. Oh and that digital deluxe bonus is wonderful

This, I've made enough back from the DDP to pay for two full games now.

Nintendo's "locked to the console" approach for digital is a valid reason for some to be wary of Nintendo digital games.

Nintendo's "locked to the console" approach for digital is a valid reason for some to be wary of Nintendo digital games.

I get that with the 3DS because it's portable could be lost or stolen. With the Wii U though if the hardware fails there are already examples of people getting their content moved to another system it just has to be done by Nintendo. I agree it is not ideal nor is it as good as what the competition is doing but I feel like Nintendo will sort the account thing out. It just won't be soon enough for most.

As far as this Bayo 1 deal is concerned I find it funny that before Tuesday people were excited just to be getting Bayo 2. but now since Bayo 1 is going to be included but as a download only people are mad. Just goes to show that you can't nor should you try to please everyone. I just hope that all of the negativity doesn't prevent this kind of promotion in the future.

Cuburt

I don't completely understand the ongoing paranoia over digital games on Nintendo systems. I have gone all digital on both my 3DS (across both an original 3DS and a 3DS XL) and my Wii U. I have all my Wii and DSi games on both systems and have increased my purchasing of digital games over those systems because Nintendo has proven they will allow me to carry on those purchases as is (in the case of the Wii) or integrated in into the system (in the case of the DSi). I wasn't sure that would happen last gen, but at the very least I can do that and as far as I know, I wouldn't be able to do that with my 360 games if I were to get a Xbox One, or my PS3 games on my PS4 if I had gotten a PS3.

On top of that, Nintendo has made it clear that forward compatibility is important to them with how they've described the Nintendo Network being on all future systems as well as their ideas to have one unified OS that will be on all their devices. Now that may mean that we don't get the type of accounts that people are hoping for with this generation of consoles, but I think it's safe to assume they will plan for the digital games we have now to at least run on future hardware as is, but future hardware will be truly forward compatible.

Besides terrible unforeseen accidents where I were to lose all my games, I feel pretty secure that I will continue to be able to hold on to all the games I own and honestly, I've lost more 3DS and DS cartridges and other disc games for various systems last gen by bringing them around with me than I ever have while going digital, and I don't plan to sell games I get (because I at least wait for them to drop in price if I'm not willing to pay full retail), so I have absolutely no regrets for going all digital.

In fact, I still have tons of CD in my closet that I wish I had the time to rip to a hard drive and it reminds me of how I should have just bought many of them digitally in the first place instead of insisting that a physical album was still more important to me.

Yoshi

This has nothing to do with that. I'm fine with digital games being locked to a console, because as long as the console gets supported, if my console breaks, Nintendo will transfer the games anyway. But, if it breaks after all support for the system has ended, I will lose access to all my downloaded games, whereas, if they are physical copies, I can just buy a new system (used) and play all my physical copies on the new system. This is the biggest reason I abhore download games and do want any of my games to be download games.

This has nothing to do with that. I'm fine with digital games being locked to a console, because as long as the console gets supported, if my console breaks, Nintendo will transfer the games anyway. But, if it breaks after all support for the system has ended, I will lose access to all my downloaded games, whereas, if they are physical copies, I can just buy a new system (used) and play all my physical copies on the new system. This is the biggest reason I abhore download games and do want any of my games to be download games.

That is a fair point. This is part of the reason I'm glad that the Wii U allows an external HDD. I can back up all of my digital content just in case such a thing happens. As mentioned earlier though, they have talked about content being accessible on future hardware.

A good number of these concerns were present back in 2004 when Steam first started and look at what that has become. It will take time but a lot of the concerns over content not being accessible will be resolved. If not then I'm wrong and I will not be able to access the majority of my games if all of my hard drives or SD cards fail.

BTW I still buy physical if there is a good deal but for the most part I've been going digital. A good deal being Need for Speed Most Wanted U being $30 on release day because EA had it at that price on their website and Best Buy price matched it.

Seik

Banned
Someone from Platinum just needs to clear this out.

I really, really wanna know if it'll be on a disc or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it anyway...but man, I really want it to be on disc, by principles.

icespide

Banned

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy it anyway...but man, I really want it to be on disc, by principles.

if you're gonna buy it anyway then what does it matter?

They did on that instagram and Facebook post

"Bayonetta 2 Director Yusuke Hashimoto and Producer Akiko Kuroda answer your questions on Facebook!

The original version of Bayonetta will be available via a digital download on eShop when you purchase Bayonetta 2 (either a box version or digital copy of the game)."

Since he says this is the case regardless of which version of Bayo 2, that states that Bayo 1 will be a DD only format. Otherwise why specify DD for both versions if the physical copy will be offered with a physical copy of Bayo 1.

Seik

Banned
if you're gonna buy it anyway then what does it matter?

It matters in the way that I want to be able to play the best version available, whenever I'll want to in the future. No matter if it's my actual Wii U or not.

Damn, I'm keeping my 360 for this sole reason, THIS game.

I'm that kind of guy, I know it may sounds weird, but digital doesn't feel right for me, the only way I feel like I own the game is by having the content on a disc. To give you an even better idea of how deep my problem is, I'd be ready to pay AGAIN if they release a separate retail version of Bayo 1, even if I have the digital version already.

I agree completely. I would like to have one of my favorite games ever available physically.

Mah man!

They did on that instagram and Facebook post

"Bayonetta 2 Director Yusuke Hashimoto and Producer Akiko Kuroda answer your questions on Facebook!

The original version of Bayonetta will be available via a digital download on eShop when you purchase Bayonetta 2 (either a box version or digital copy of the game)."

Since he says this is the case regardless of which version of Bayo 2, that states that Bayo 1 will be a DD only format. Otherwise why specify DD for both versions if the physical copy will be offered with a physical copy of Bayo 1.

I hope it's a misunderstanding, but yeah, I saw this post yesterday. I got mixed up because of this.

Yep. Added to OP.

And, guys, just to add to the confusion, this is from Platinum Games' Website:

http://platinumgames.com/games/bayonetta-2/

So, it seems, from this excerpt that Bayonetta will be on disk (or in a separate disk) for retail version. But... well...

I think ill get the dd either way as i enjoy the convienence of not swapping disks. That along with the disk drive being rather loud lol

The UK website for Wii U mentions a special edition for Bayonetta 2. And it says "Please note: the special edition is rated PEGI 18 as it includes Bayonetta.".

Not 100% confirmation but it's a good possibility that it is just for the SE copies (at least in EU).

The Amazon UK page for Bayonetta 2 says "Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo Wii U exclusive. Bayonetta comes packed in with the purchase of every retail packaged version of Bayonetta 2." Game have "Bayonetta 2 also includes the original Bayonetta game making this the complete Bayonetta experience!".

I've seen no mention of an SE Bayo 2 for sale yet and i'm not sure when the Amazon or Game pages were edited but it seems like all Bayo 2 retail copies have Bayo 1, in the UK at least not sure about the rest of europe.

I didn't see anything on that site that specified one way or the other. it just says

"Every copy of Bayonetta 2 will come with a special Wii U version of the original Bayonetta!"

For those that want physical only it would be cool of them to do that but based on how they have talked about it in every other instance. I would not get my hopes up. I'm personally, fairly certain that it will be a download code that comes with the physical copy of 2.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

If the planned to sell Bayo 2 forever including Bayo1, yes.
However it is much more probable it is just for a limited time, since they most likely have a deal in place with Sega. So if it was both games on one disc it'd mean having to master 2 versions of the
Bayo 2 disc, on the other hand if it comes on two separate discs then it's double the cost for pressing the discs (for a limited time). *IF* a retail version of Bayo1 it's coming then imo the latter's more likely and it'd mean they'll be able to sell the game separately in the future.

I'm fine with whatever happens, but if they include Bayonetta on a separate disc in with Bayonetta 2, someone needs to whip up a good looking boxart I can print off to put the separate disc in.

I would throw in 5 space dollars toward this endeavor.

Mithos

If Bayonetta 1 is digital only, well then I can wait until 2015/2016 to pick it up when they eventually decide to put on physical just like Wii Sports Club is about to do right now.

Very happy they're doing this. I'd never played the first game before, so I was going to track down a copy of the inferior ps3 copy developed by the filthy gaijins at Sega. Now I don't have to!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Not port begging, but does this effect the possibility of Bayo1 coming to PC?

Top Bottom