• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Designers for The Elder Scrolls Are Making a New and "Massive Open-World Fantasy Adventure RPG"

Helios

The new studio, OnceLost Games, has been founded by the designers behind the original Elder Scrolls game, The Elder Scrolls: Arena. Unsurprisingly, their first game will also be an open-world RPG like their pedigree.

The studio was founded by Ted Peterson (one of the original designers on The Elder Scrolls), Julian LeFay (director on The Elder Scrolls: Arena, Daggerfall, and Battlespire), Vijay Lakshman (lead designer and producer of The Elder Scrolls: Arena), and Ian Phoenix, a veteran video producer, marketer, and graphic designer.

While details are scant, the above piece of concept art is prominently displayed on their studio’s home page, with the following caption: “High contrast image of Excalibur, sword in the stone with light rays and dust specs in a dark cave.”

Their actual description for the game is that it will be a “massive open-world fantasy adventure” and that it will “boast revolutionary technology and game design.” Could their first game be one based on the classic Arthurian legends? Only time will tell.

Zog

Banned
Their actual description for the game is that it will be a “massive open-world fantasy adventure” and that it will “boast revolutionary technology and game design.” Could their first game be one based on the classic Arthurian legends? Only time will tell.

It won't be any of these things. By the time it comes out it will be less massive and won't revolutionary technology and game design.

GHG

Board games and alcohol.

Board games...

tenor.gif

How cute.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Cant wait to play it
Hopefully they will use something like kickstarted.

And let us buy different kind of horses.
Ranging from a cheap old donkey priced at 45. To an arabic stallion priced at 5k

Maybe even let us buy limited edition horses and take their backers to dinner to announce new horse packs.

And enable us to buy a stable to play with our horses. I dont care that we cant quest yet. This is mainly a backer thing.

Then promise us the best rpg ever. And keep adding things. Like real time growing trees and an all hollywood digital cast.

Then release it in about 20 years.

Ow and do a yearly show. To add more futures

Romulus

It won't be any of these things. By the time it comes out it will be less massive and won't revolutionary technology and game design.

Not that any open world RPGs are. They're usually way behind the curve in terms of tech because of the development cycle.

Reactions: Zog

Teslerum

I like Elder Scrolls/Arena but it's good to note that a lot of these people did Daggerfall too, which is the best game in the Elder Scrolls franchise.

Something more like Daggerfall and Arena is also what you should expect from this rather than the design approach modern ES games take.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
...because it's the game industry. It runs on hype. Every game is the greatest thing since sliced bread until it releases and then it isn't even close to that.

Debbie downer alert. Shun the non believer! Shunnnn.

Sorry im a depressed man. Don't hit me with the harsh reality facts man. My heart can't take it.

Im still a virgin. Don't tell me sex sucks aswell.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If the studio just formed and the game has barely even been conceptualized yet, this game will release........ when Scarlett 2 and PS6 come out in 2025?

Teslerum

Wonder what would have been if these guys stayed in charge, instead of those sellouts... Toddler & co.

If *everything went according to plan*, system based gaming would be miles ahead from what it is by now. I mean since Daggerfall there's not been a game quite like it. Roguelikes, Indies and No Man's Sky trying and falling flat on its face. But nothing really like the tracectory Bethesda was on with the series.

Who knows though?

anthraticus

Banned
If *everything went according to plan*, system based gaming would be miles ahead from what it is by now. I mean since Daggerfall there's not been a game quite like it. Roguelikes, Indies and No Man's Sky trying and falling flat on its face. But nothing really like the tracectory Bethesda was on with the series.

Who knows though?
Yea, it's pretty sad. Between Daggerfall and Morrowind there was a lot of potential in the Elder Scrolls, but unfortunately it was never met.

Tenaciousmo

Having only started at TES III: morrowind, I don't know that i can feel hyped for those guys that i never played a game of that are making an arthurian RPG, I feel like I've seen those stories a million time. Hope they make me regret this but I think I'll pass on this one

Bkdk

Open world rpg plus highly customizable options with mods is always my favorite genre, hope they pull off something decent. Even a 7/10 at vanilla quality I’ll be willing to pay 60 dollars for it.

Fuz

Banned
Frankly things go down hill once spell crafting was removed.
So, since Morrowind.

(Did you play Daggerfall and tried *that* spellcrafting?)
The original design for Daggerfall was way more ambitious than what shipped.
What was shipped was already INSANE in term of scope. And I'm not talking just how big the world was, but how many, how complex and interesting were the various storylines that sometimes intersected with each other.
By the way, so the bugs were your fault? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Raven117

Playing board games while drinking makes me a fedora wearing dweeb? Can you explain?
Oh I’m just picking on you in a hopefully apparent joking manner.

When someone asks about what’s a party like, and the response is “board games and booze” it doesn’t exactly paint the picture or a rock and roll good time. Nerds do that.

Zog

Banned
Oh I’m just picking on you in a hopefully apparent joking manner.

When someone asks about what’s a party like, and the response is “board games and booze” it doesn’t exactly paint the picture or a rock and roll good time. Nerds do that.
Board games can be fun once you get alcohol in people.

Raven117

Board games can be fun once you get alcohol in people.
Not saying it isn’t. Just when I think of parties, board games are not involved. It’s kegs of beer, kegs stands, basically being a delinquent. (I’m older and this is what my generation did)

Zog

Banned
Not saying it isn’t. Just when I think of parties, board games are not involved. It’s kegs of beer, kegs stands, basically being a delinquent. (I’m older and this is what my generation did)
I did that stuff when I was younger.

Ladioss

Daggerfall is my favorite TES game so I’m in. I don’t expect anything revolutionary, thought; it won’t surprise me if the actual project come out as dated when it’s eventually detailled. Just a hunch.

So, since Morrowind.

(Did you play Daggerfall and tried *that* spellcrafting?)
Yeah, The issue with Daggerfall is that i tend to get stuck at some point due to bugs, and that I find it impossible to navigate the dungeons.
Morrowind ended up being my favorite in balancing playability with freedom.

I remember how Skyrim magic was underpowered, because without spell crafting, you basically are better off just shooting arrows from stealth.

Nickolaidas

Every single time a once upon a time revolutionary game designer returns from obscurity and announces a new game, it is mathematically certain that he will release a mediocre or plain good game which modern games easily match or surpass.

Fact.

Every single time a once upon a time revolutionary game designer returns from obscurity and announces a new game, it is mathematically certain that he will release a mediocre or plain good game which modern games easily match or surpass.

Fact.
Personally, I am not after anything revolutionary. I just want something like Morrowind, but prettier.

GreenAlien

I wonder who the publisher is. As a new studio, I doubt they have the budget for something like this without outside help..

Top Bottom