• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oroville Dam situation: evacuation order lifted, spillway repair underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is this risk for those in the crosshairs?

It has great potential to be extremely bad. People in the evacuation areas must evacuate, this could get very lethal really quickly.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The spillway failing will just lower the water below that section, correct? It's not like the damn itself is failing.

Still, it's a TON of water.

Thing is... it's just dirt there. Water starts going over that in a large amount that hillside can disappear...

e_i

I remember reading Collapse by Jared Diamond and one of the first things he talked about in the book is how fucked our dams are in the U.S.

diehard

Fleer
I remember reading Collapse by Jared Diamond and one of the first things he talked about in the book is how fucked our dams are in the U.S.

other than the erosion on the spillway, i think everything is working as designed right now.

Kadin

Watching KCRA live right now and they're saying that the emergency spillway *should* no longer have water running over in a couple hours based on their quick math but then that's when officials will need to get in and inspect the erosion. So yeah my hope that in a few hours all is clear, was... dumb.

Dryk

At cost of main spillway, they are burning through it so emergency spillway erodes slower.
Yeah the fact that they've opened the main spillway isn't a good sign. That hill is going to take a ton of damage from this.

The spillway failing will just lower the water below that section, correct? It's not like the damn itself is failing.

Still, it's a TON of water.
Hundreds of megalitres at least.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
According to the news, the biggest risks are of rapid river rise and adding further strain to an already stressed levee system along these rivers.

Yes. and many of those river systems head right to Sacramento, which is second only to New Orleans for being the most flood-prone city in the US due to all the levees.

It's going to rain more over the next week, too

It's not supposed to rain until late Weds I believe, so they have a few more days of dry weather to try and repair as much as they can.

SkyOdin

Yeah the fact that they've opened the main spillway isn't a good sign. That hill is going to take a ton of damage from this.
It already has. The news showed video from yesterday next to video from today earlier, and the difference was striking. A road up to the dam has already been washed away.

Rommel

Crazy progression.

D3jCeqd.png

C4PZV4GUcAAa0vZ.jpg:large

Dryk

It already has. The news showed video from yesterday next to video from today earlier, and the difference was striking. A road up to the dam has already been washed away.
Yeah. And I mean the main spillway being open mitigates the damage somewhat but it's going to be even harder to repair :\

The specific danger here is that there will be a feedback loops of erosion that will cause a catastrophic failure of the dam. An increase in the rate and amount of water released will only serve to increase the rate of erosion which in turn will release more water. Most people do not understand the pure kinetic power of water, or the sheer amount of force that a dam is holding back.

The failure of the spillway might not be a *crack* and collapse of the wall, but the potential exists. The evacuation is for the worst case scenario.

America has a long history of dams collapsing and killing large amounts of people. They're trying to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Ihyll

so what happens if the spillway fails? Wasn't the emergency spillway put in place for this situation?

Gallbaro

Banned
You have to evacuate people though. Can you imagine if they emergency spillway collapsed and 10 ft wall of water came down with no warning?

You are right. But the terminology and tone of voice he uses, specifically with the word "experts."

Almost as if he is saying "these so-called experts, told me failure was imminent!"

Tovarisc

so what happens if the spillway fails? Wasn't the emergency spillway put in place for this situation?

Depends on how it fails. Basic idea is that shit ton of water and ground will overwhelm downstream causing a lots of flooding and damage.

Dr.Acula

Banned
If this thing fails, it will be Trump's first big domestic crisis. Curious how he will handle it.

I feel like Obama would say something on Monday even if the situation stabilises, given that an evacuation order has taken place. I don't know about Trump though, it might just fall to Spicer to address the media tomorrow.

Foffy

Banned
If this thing fails, it will be Trump's first big domestic crisis. Curious how he will handle it.

I feel like Obama would say something on Monday even if the situation stabilises, given that an evacuation order has taken place. I don't know about Trump though, it might just fall to Spicer to address the media tomorrow.

That's what I'm worried about. Trump would seem like the slimeball to blame the liberals, because it's California being hit...

If he would say anything at all, of course.

I do hope this is dealt with with haste, and that systemic risk is small.

SkyOdin

It isn't the main spillway that has people nervous. It is the emergency spillway that is the cause of concern now. Once they started to use the emergency spillway, it began to erode the hillside below it (since the emergency spillway just empties out onto a bare hillside). That erosion formed a groove in the hillside that began to back up towards the dam. The big risk is that the carved out channel hits the spillway and creates a much larger gap for water to spill through. This would create an unmanageably large release of water. It probably wouldn't release the entire dam, but it would release a hell of a lot of water.

akira28

I haven't heard anything about this. What's wrong with them?

same deal with our bridges. They were engineering marvels, built to last for 50 years or more. (not built to handle the population of drivers that we currently have though)

60 to 80 years ago. And when they were trying to do infrastructure repair 20 to 30 years ago, something would always come up, so it never got done on the large scle that was necessary. Only emergency measures, like when something would fall down or crack open.

Wow! I always feared something like this happening when I used to live 500 yards from the Feather River. We moved away in 2015, the month the drought started ending....I have some family and former neighbors that are evacuated now.

I have a cousin that worked the phone for emergency services today and she was told to report everything was ok, all the while the Mayor of Orroville was talking about serious concerns (about 4 hours ago)!

Wow, God speed to those affected!

jstripes

Banned
I've been keeping tabs on this the past few days. I've been wondering why there's been no footage out of there for the last 24h.

Damn. (No pun intended.)

cloudyboy

Neo Member
I am glad they are taking the prevention of evecuating the residents, personally I am a bit doubtful that there will be any catastrophic failure.

but if it happen, the dammage could be severe, it is the highest dam of the united state and the second largest of california it seem, so any failures would be probably quite severe.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

IF the emergency spillway physically fails, like the concrete breaks open, then you have an uncontrolled release of the dam. The main spillway is designed to release 100,000 cfs (cubic feet per second) into the river, and from what I've read the river can handle that in a mostly safe manner, meaning people downstream would still be safe. NOW, if the spillway breaks then you will get a flow rate that is MUCH higher than 100,000 cfs, and this is what could potentially cause a great deal of damage downstream.

Gallbaro

Banned
It isn't the main spillway that has people nervous. It is the emergency spillway that is the cause of concern now. Once they started to use the emergency spillway, it began to erode the hillside below it (since the emergency spillway just empties out onto a bare hillside). That erosion formed a groove in the hillside that began to back up towards the dam. The big risk is that the carved out channel hits the spillway and creates a much larger gap for water to spill through. This would create an unmanageably large release of water. It probably wouldn't release the entire dam, but it would release a hell of a lot of water.

Its not just that. The lateral pressure on the emergency spillway concrete is enough to collapse it when it looses lateral support from the eroded ground.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thank goodness Trump is monitoring the situation on this Dam. He certainly isn't watching the Grammys in case someone says something mean about him.

e_i

I haven't heard anything about this. What's wrong with them?

Like most of our infrastructure, they are crumbling. And there is a small amount of people dedicated to inspecting them. I think Last Week Tonight did a piece on them a while back.

cruets

Damn amazing how fast everything happened. I can't imagine 160000 people evacuating. Stay safe my nocal brothers and sisters.

SkyOdin

Literally nothing I looked at on Google outright said Marysville lol, my Google abilities must be rusty. Wife and I are on the road but stuck in traffic
I hope you can get out safely. If we are all lucky, nothing serious will happen, but I'm glad you are getting out just in case.

fauxtrot

Banned
Anyone know of an app that will notify me if evacuations are called for my county? I'm going to be going to sleep in a few hours and I'd like to know if an evacuation for my area happens overnight so I don't wake up in the morning underwater.

If anyone wants to lose faith in humanity just read comments from the livestreams.

I wake up every morning knowing a 5 year old traitor was freely elected to control a nuclear arsenal because the alternative was boring and had a vagina

There's no where else for my faith to go

Damn amazing how fast everything happened. I can't imagine 160000 people evacuating. Stay safe my nocal brothers and sisters.

After evacuating for Katrina, my thoughts and sympathies are acutely with these people.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's what I'm worried about. Trump would seem like the slimeball to blame the liberals, because it's California being hit...

If he would say anything at all, of course.

I do hope this is dealt with with haste, and that systemic risk is small.

Which would be even more ridiculous than usual, because Butte County went for Trump fairly decisively. The liberals are all on the coast.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Anyone know of an app that will notify me if evacuations are called for my county? I'm going to be going to sleep in a few hours and I'd like to know if an evacuation for my area happens overnight so I don't wake up in the morning underwater.

Don't they have automatic systems in place there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom