• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otomedius Excellent US Date PLUS Special Edition > Xbox 360 > July 19th

Dave Long said:
Will it come out next Tuesday I wonder? Inquiring minds want to know!
My queue says Nov 8. Seems like a good idea, cause, you know, only the biggest game out there is getting released on the same day.

Otomedius Excellent Lands In North America Next Week
By Spencer . October 26, 2011 . 5:33pm

When Castlevania: Symphony of the Night developer Koji Igarashi started working on Otomedius Excellent, an Xbox 360 shooter with moe-ified ships, he didn’t think the game would be released overseas.

"We did not plan originally for the release in North America. However, we received the opinions that they would like to play this in US more than what we expected, so we decided to do it," Igarashi said in an interview with Siliconera. "The characters are totally designed for Japanese market, but I think there are lots of users who comprehend this game, so we look forward for the release."

And the game’s international release is next week. Siliconera confirmed with Konami Otomedius Excellent will ship on November 1.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/26/otomedius-excellent-lands-in-north-america-next-week/

DasRaven

I'd all but lost hope on this one after the 3rd delay, but I'm still in for a regular edition preorder.
Looking forward to this filling my Gradius needs until Gradius 5 comes out as a PS2 classic (finger's crossed).

Dave Long

Banned
I've had it preordered for awhile now, but just found out I have a $900 bill after car inspection. I feel like this will be hard to get later so I hate to cancel. :(

DasRaven

Dave Long said:
I've had it preordered for awhile now, but just found out I have a $900 bill after car inspection. I feel like this will be hard to get later so I hate to cancel. :(

Unless they relaxed the 50000 unit minimum run requirement, I think this will be fairly easily to get in the US. I also think this will fairly swiftly reach Games on Demand like Raiden IV.

Wonko_C

Damn you KOF XIII delay, as I was going to order both games since they were so close from each other. I guess I'll play this until the end of November.

Anyway, I don't know much about the game other than it's an off-shoot of Gradius (my favorite space shooter series), how does it compare difficulty-wise to Gradius V? I know it's supposed to be a lot easier, which I don't mind a bit because at my 32 years I'm past my prime at shooters (which wasn't that good to begin with), 9 credits on easiest difficulty and I lost them all one stage before the end. I did manage to beat Gradius V on normal with the same amount of credits when it came out back in 2004, though.

LiK

The Take Out Bandit said:

When Castlevania: Symphony of the Night developer Koji Igarashi started working on Otomedius Excellent, an Xbox 360 shooter with moe-ified ships, he didn’t think the game would be released overseas.

"We did not plan originally for the release in North America. However, we received the opinions that they would like to play this in US more than what we expected, so we decided to do it," Igarashi said in an interview with Siliconera. "The characters are totally designed for Japanese market, but I think there are lots of users who comprehend this game, so we look forward for the release."

And the game’s international release is next week. Siliconera confirmed with Konami Otomedius Excellent will ship on November 1.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/26/otomedius-excellent-lands-in-north-america-next-week/

holy shit, about fucking time.

BOTEC

The Take Out Bandit said:

This is what they have Igarashi doing these days? Shakin' my head...

Will wait for the bomba.

hikarutilmitt said:
Is anyone interested in an OT? I wouldn't mind doing one, but I'm also not sure it would be worth the trouble and/or crappy.

Do it to it.

Official Threads could bring the game to the attention of folks who otherwise may not know about it. They shouldn't be reserved for overhyped bullshit people already have an impacted a$$hole full of.

Will wait for the bomba.

Fire.

Go die in one.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll probably buy this because I've become a real Gradius whore over the last few years.

Is it at least passable as a Gradius-type game?

cj_iwakura

BocoDragon said:
I'll probably buy this because I've become a real Gradius whore over the last few years.

Is it at least passable as a Gradius-type game?

Not to be a hater, but I've heard; no.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
IGA worked on this? Then the Great Otomedius Betrayal was, rather than a distinct event on its own, a direct precursor of and contributor to the Great Castlevania Betrayal?

How deep does this rabbit hole go?

cj_iwakura said:
Look at the cover.

Come on man.

I'm not going to stand here and let someone bad mouth Mine Yoshizaki!

The guy is consistently one of the best manga artists out there, and even if this game is more than a little icky - I still have 10 years of Gunso Keroro / Sgt. Frog and various fighting game dojinshi by him that is amazing.

Dambrosi

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Look at the cover.
No. Just...no.

You fuck up a Gradius game by filling it up with unnecessary fluff, boring level design, slow-motion gameplay compared to its predecessors, a cast of "characters" that - and I'm sorry to TToB for saying this, and I'm aware it's a cultural thing - makes you hesitant to play it in front of others, never mind get anyone to play co-op, and most of all, by making the thing way too easy. It's GradeSchoolius.

See Gradius ReBirth on WiiWare? That's how you do it. Actually, no - Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou on VC is how you do it. Add moe-moe girls if you want (it didn't hurt Xexex), but keep it simple, fast-paced, and hard as nails. That's all Iga needed to do, and he couldn't even do that, the goddamn hack.

Again: keep it simple, stupid.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I still cannot believe this series even exists in the first place. Damn you Japanese developers for blindly following otaku trends.

Parodius, my sweet king, where are you? :(

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kilrogg said:
I still cannot believe this series even exists in the first place. Damn you Japanese developers for blindly following otaku trends.

Parodius, my sweet king, where are you? :(
I dunno.. it kind of is a Parodius game. I'm not offended by this game concept. It's just silly fun. Gradius as moe girls = wacky lulz.

The worst part is that I hear the game design isn't great, and that's the real shame.

Ledsen

_dementia said:
Retail non-imports:
Raiden Fighters Aces
Raiden IV

XBLA:
Strania
Ikaruga
Trigger Heart Excelica
Guwange
Omega Five
Trouble Witches Neo

GoD:
Deathsmiles IIX

Region-free imports:
Mushihimesama Futari
Espgaluda II
Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets
Bullet Soul
Eschatos
What about Deathsmiles? Best schmup I've played on the 360, and retail to boot.

gunstarhero

Looks like this game slipped again? Nobody has it in stock, and release dates are all over the place...

Amazon lists it in stock, but ships in 1 to 3 months.

Gamestop now has it as 11/8

Konami.com lists it under the New Releases section, but only offers the Pre Order option

Ugh.

DustinC

Seems like it's scheduled for the 8th everywhere I've looked.

It's not like the 8th will produce better sales numbers, so I can't imagine why they'd bother pushing it back for another week.

Damn, slipped again. Amazon is showing "1 to 3 month" release shipping time. I was going to just get the standard edition, but I might just go all out and get the CE at GameStop and the palette swapping DLC they have.

By the way, there is a piece of DLC up on the Xbix Live Marketplace. It's a "comparability pack" so you can play co-op with those who have the Ganestop DLC.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...-library/b8fd2107-00d4-4d5b-b713-7fcd842804e5

Same week as MGS:HD and MW3?
What the fuck is Konami thinking?

"Let's compete with the biggest game of the month and our own game."

The End said:
I played this at ComiCon in July. It was... not good. The control felt sluggish, the levels felt empty, and the graphics were a little rough.

Any idea whether any of this has been fixed?

The game has been available in Japan for quite some time.

The End

I played this at ComiCon in July. It was... not good. The control felt sluggish, the levels felt empty, and the graphics were a little rough.

The End said:

Sine it's a localization of previously released game in Japan, I doubt anything has changed.

But are you familiar with Gradius games? Without any speed-up upgrades, your ship is going to be sluggish.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Damn, slipped again. Amazon is showing "1 to 3 month" release shipping time. I was going to just get the standard edition, but I might just go all out and get the CE at GameStop and the palette swapping DLC they have.

By the way, there is a piece of DLC up on the Xbix Live Marketplace. It's a "comparability pack" so you can play co-op with those who have the Ganestop DLC.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...-library/b8fd2107-00d4-4d5b-b713-7fcd842804e5

Oooooh okay. So the Gamestop Vic Viper preorder is just a DLC code? Now I'm no longer tempted to switch my preorder.

Also, for anyone wondering, yes, I still plan on doing an OT for it, I've just been a bit busy. I plan on posting (at least the beginning of) it tonight.

Dave Long

Banned
I bagged the pre-order. I figure I'll get it eventually, but there are too many people down on it for me to bite right now and who the hell knows when it will ever come out?

hikarutilmitt said:
Oooooh okay. So the Gamestop Vic Viper preorder is just a DLC code? Now I'm no longer tempted to switch my preorder.

Also, for anyone wondering, yes, I still plan on doing an OT for it, I've just been a bit busy. I plan on posting (at least the beginning of) it tonight.
Gamestop's bonus DLC is a "palette swap" for one of the characters. Nothing terribly "must have", like a new character or level, but cool for Gradius fans.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Gamestop's bonus DLC is a "palette swap" for one of the characters. Nothing terribly "must have", like a new character or level, but cool for Gradius fans.
Gotcha. I figured from the description it was just some sort of thing that just "removed" Anoa from the Vic Viper or something, but then I started thinking maybe it was some sort of little capsule toy or something.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The original Otomedius was kind of "eh," and felt empty/sluggish too. It was decent but for this type of game, Konami's own Parodius games destroy it.

I'm not expecting much from this game other than some excellent Mine Yoshizaki artwork, but I'm getting it for around $13 anyway.

Dambrosi said:
You fuck up a Gradius game by filling it up with unnecessary fluff, boring level design, slow-motion gameplay compared to its predecessors, a cast of "characters" that - and I'm sorry to TToB for saying this, and I'm aware it's a cultural thing - makes you hesitant to play it in front of others, never mind get anyone to play co-op, and most of all, by making the thing way too easy.

I'm not even going to say it's a cultural thing.

While I do feel that in Japan moe/loli/pedophilia is keeping certain genres alive (shmup/fighters); I've been a Mine Yoshizaki fan since 1999.

Nothing will stop me from buying this game. NOTHING!

Completely irrational here. ;)

From the Konami Twitter feed:

Konami Konami
#Otomedius Excellent ships today for the Xbox 360! Check your local retailer for availability! Details on CE and more @ goo.gl/KwpcC

BOOYAH!

Bring that OT hikaru!

In stock now at Amazon.

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Thursday, November 3? Order it in the next 2 hours and 55 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

Yeah, somehow the regular edition is in stock but the SE is at 5-8 weeks (this usually means, however, that amazon has it and is just processing them before shipping).

_dementia said:
When's the OT coming?
As soon as I can get my ass in gear and get some text together for it. I may actually just post one now with a couple of placeholder images and fill it in tomorrow.

Top Bottom