• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
When the priest told me I could go out, I went to the elevator expecting the worse... I thought i was going to a horrible dungeon, basement... but I found myself in Hoth. wtf
D:

def sim

so this is about magic nanomachines and now i'm a super powerful ghost? wacky stuff, but i'll take it

I keep seeing people who say that the enemies can never find you in the lockers. This isn't true at all, I had enemies who definitely did not see me enter the locker pull me out of that fucking thing quite a few times. Nothing like the feeling when they just stop right in front of the locker you're in.

I really don't think that's the case. Lockers are completely safe provided no one saw you enter and that has not changed for me throughout the course of the game. I played on the difficulty below the one life option.

Help, I'm kind of stuck. Somewhere around hour two, two and a half.

My objective is to reach the main level of the male wards. I was in a chase sequence where I was shutting doors and dragging lockers to block dudes behind me. Then I got to a part where it looked like I was supposed to jump over a big gap, but I died. When I restarted I was in front of the gap, which is filled with water and looks impossible to jump over. There's nothing behind me and to the front of me is a locked blue door and a gate. People are chasing me and killing me but I have no idea where to go. Dudes bust through that blue door, but as far as I can tell I can't go that way either. Any help would be appreciated, I know my explanation is not the best but there aren't many landmarks to describe.

Edit: never mind, figured it out. Had to jump over a wall

Yuterald

Just downloaded it for free since I've got Plus. Turned the lights off and everything to create some sort of mood/atmosphere. Played up until somewhere in the basement. Eh, it's okay from the little I've played. Some of the jump/screams near the start of the game felt funny and sort of through me off. I swear that first static screen creature growl was some stock animal roar from another game. Actually, there's a lot more people/inhabitants that I thought there was going to be too. I expected pure isolation with a few wacky dudes chasing you around, but it's got sort of a Condemned-thing going on instead. I'm digging the fact that there seems to be some sort of design behind the Asylum. Hoping for clever wrap-arounds/progression throughout the building as I get further. Was expecting Slender-like randomly generated rooms/boring corridors for some reason (I didn't read up on anything beforehand).

All the hiding in stuff from your pursuer crap's been done before too (Clock Tower and Haunting Ground) so it's not very impressive. I know there's a 1 life Insane mode or whatever, but the base game still autosaves/checkpoints, so it still feels campaign-y/par for the course. Seems like it'll be a funny game to play on the weekends when I need a good laugh.

Just finished the game. The game is filled with atmosphere and I really enjoyed it. Wow, the atmosphere.........It's sort of like a blend of Condemned, Haunting Ground and Amnesia. Playing with surround sound and on a good size TV can definitely add to the experience. Not going to lie, this game was intense. Throughout most of the game, I had a sense of helplessness and was cautious about literally every corner when I knew there were psychopaths looking for me with those creepy glowing looking eyes. There were a few moments that actually surprised me. The end of the game was unexpected, but I still had fun.

Beat it today. Loved it! Blessed is the atmosphere and sound. I'd easily pay $60 for a full game from the team that has a similar great horror atmosphere and sound but bigger in scope and with a better story maybe.

Basically modern day silent hill taken to the next level and actually good. Get on it!

Soi-Fong

Just got a bit after where you get thrown off the balcony and said, that's it.. lol

I'll play this with friends or something. Too scary for my blood.

Beat it in one sitting today. I was actual surprised at how cool the story was. Although I didn't think it was nearly as scary as people make it out to be.

Scariest part for me was:
Dropping your camera and having to navigate in the dark.

so this is about magic nanomachines and now i'm a super powerful ghost? wacky stuff, but i'll take it

I really don't think that's the case. Lockers are completely safe provided no one saw you enter and that has not changed for me throughout the course of the game. I played on the difficulty below the one life option.

Nah, happened to me too. Think I was trying to get the water drained out, and hurried up and hid in one of the lockers since I knew it would trigger whats-his-face to come in and investigate, which he did about 20 seconds later. To my surprise, he rips me right out of there.

So while there may be a very very...very...low chance of them finding you in a locker or under a bed if they didn't see you enter the room or dive into that spot, the chance is still there. Or its bugged. Either way, it happens.

daman824

Decent but often annoying game. Couldn't finish it in one sitting without quitting out of frustration. Constant grain effect, tons of screen tearing, often unresponsive controls, inconsistent ai that can go from incredibly blind and stupid to expert tracker at the flip of a coin, and an initially great, but overused enviornment. The game never changed it up. By the time I got outside, I knew when stuff was going to happen. And outmaneuvering the slow, lumbering baddie turned into getting in an open area and run in a large circle before heading to where you should go. Nothing scared me after the doctor.

And don't even get me started on that shitty ending. I was already starting to grow tired of the game but pushed through. And that's how it ended? whatever.

Good game for an indie title, and a good game to play if you want to get scared or scare your friends. But it's nothing spectacular. Good not great overall. I am looking forward to what these developers can do next though. A bit more variety, more unique scares (everything was too predictable after a while), and a better story would have made this something special. But there were a lot of good ideas and moments here.

NeoRausch

Started playing it, 100'' projector + home theater screen in the dark in my basement...my 11 year old son next to me...first scare after opening a door...me and him screaming at the same time, my 9 yo daughter coming from upstairs asking if we were okay loll. Ok yeah turn off the game, will have to play this alone loll....when the kids are with their mom. Great atmosphere from the little I saw...

dude, the game has gore, horror and dicks...

def sim

Nah, happened to me too. Think I was trying to get the water drained out, and hurried up and hid in one of the lockers since I knew it would trigger whats-his-face to come in and investigate. To my surprise, he rips me right out of there.

So while there may be a very very...very...low chance of them finding you in a locker or under a bed if they didn't see you enter the room or dive into that spot, the chance is still there. Or its bugged. Either way, it happens.

Ah

That'd be very interesting if they intentionally added a small chance of discovery when using the lockers. It would make people second guess rushing, maybe. I'd be very annoyed if that chance was in the one life run, though.

slapnuts

It's been confirmed already.

lrBnuf1.png

cool - it's so worth paying for psn+

tch

Ok so if I have plus now but don't have a ps4 can I somehow download this and then get it from my download list when I get a ps4? Or did they fix that with the ps4?

I just finished Outlast 10 mins ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the dev team did an excellent job. Evading crazed lunatics within a dreary environment makes for a great time, and is a mechanic that can be finely toned and improved in future games. Bravo!

EGM1966

Ok so if I have plus now but don't have a ps4 can I somehow download this and then get it from my download list when I get a ps4? Or did they fix that with the ps4?

You just go to PC PSN store and "purchase" the game for free to make it available for download. That's it. Then when you get your PS4 it should appear in your download history and you can download it then. I only used this once before I got my PS4 but it seemed to work fine.

Completed it last night. No story spoilers, just impressions.

The game started out so well but after the sewers, everything because just too mechanical. "Oh you need to here. First press 2 switches, whilst avoiding enemy". Happened too often and in the end, I just gave up trying to hide and just ran to the switches and ran back.

The game started to pick up again when you get outside, but then Chris Walker comes back and oh hey, run away and then go back to where he came from to move on.

Once I got to the last level, I was just running everywhere. I played it for about 3 hours in total which is a good length for a game like this. Any longer and I doubt I would've ever finished it.

Although, how many horror games have amazing last levels?

Porkepik

dude, the game has gore, horror and dicks...
Yeah and? My little guy is one of the most polite and kind kid anyone around me knows. He knows a game is a game. Oh and guess what,looking down in the shower he can see a dick too. If you are parenting well enough you can make them discern whats real or not. Would I let him watch evil dead or any horror flick.... No... Real people being dismembered is something elee. I still see this as a game. I know a ton of parents are letting little kid play games like Cod,Gta by themselves unsupervised. I would never let him do that, he plays skylander,mario,lego games. Do I let him watch me play more violent game, yes sure, I m there with him to talk and see how he reacts and discuss whats happening on the screen and understand whats right or wrong Which is much better than living in a bubble I think. Would I let him play the game...never in a second...

NeoRausch

Yeah and? My little guy is one of the most polite and kind kid anyone around me knows. He knows a game is a game. Oh and guess what,looking down in the shower he can see a dick too. If you are parenting well enough you can make them discern whats real or not. Would I let him watch evil dead or any horror flick.... No... Real people being dismembered is something elee. I still see this as a game. I know a ton of parents are letting little kid play games like Cod,Gta by themselves unsupervised. I would never let him do that, he plays skylander,mario,lego games. Do I let him watch me play more violent game, yes sure, I m there with him to talk and see how he reacts and discuss whats happening on the screen and understand whats right or wrong Which is much better than living in a bubble I think. Would I let him play the game...never in a second...

eh... on the other hand... what did I play when I was 11!
you got a point there. all that matters is parenting the right way.
sorry for running over you!

I know the whole point of this game is no combat but I kept thinking the character you play could have easily made a weapon.

Turn a table or chair over and snap off a leg and use it as a club.
Pick up some broken glass and wrap it in something to use as a shiv.
There was a kitchen area and while I didn't see any knives he could have take a frying pan or a pot .
etc.....

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I know what you mean. All kids are different. The nudity is also the last thing I would worry about, so I am not sure why it's such a big deal to so many folks. We all have genitals, big deal. My son saw me playing and asked if those guys were naked and I said yes. He moved on, unlike some posts I've seen here some pages back.

Porkepik

eh... on the other hand... what did I play when I was 11!
you got a point there. all that matters is parenting the right way.
sorry for running over you!
No problem there,just a matter of perspective, what I see on the tv even just news(kids dying,wars,poverty) seems often more disturbing to me and kind of desensibilize a lot of people to real problems.
I m in no hurry for games to look really photorealistic where you could not discern reality from virtuality.
Did we enjoy being scared and jump into eachother arms, yeah and we laughted a lot after that. Thats not a game I would play a long time in a row especially with him watching but in small doses...its scary fun loll

NeoRausch

No problem there,just a matter of perspective, what I see on the tv even just news(kids dying,wars,poverty) seems often more disturbing to me and kind of desensibilize a lot of people to real problems.
I m in no hurry for games to look really photorealistic where you could not discern reality from virtuality.
Did we enjoy being scared and jump into eachother arms, yeah and we laughted a lot after that. Thats not a game I would play a long time in a row especially with him watching but in small doses...its scary fun loll

as long as you don't let him but Tomb Raider via secret button combo or flush your vita down the toilet. :D

Porkepik

Loll yeah. My credit card is linked to my psn account and my Google play account. They never bought anything, they know better than to do that even on their own tablets which have my account on them. They don t read my mail either which they could access if they wanted. Its all a matter of trust.
Which I had a vita, I probably would be the one flushing it down by mistake. Don t know why I have an experia z, ask my previous cellphones and their untimely deaths loll.
OK I stop derailing the thread....

I know the whole point of this game is no combat but I kept thinking the character you play could have easily made a weapon.

Turn a table or chair over and snap off a leg and use it as a club.
Pick up some broken glass and wrap it in something to use as a shiv.
There was a kitchen area and while I didn't see any knives he could have take a frying pan or a pot .
etc.....

Yeah lol. The protagonist is the biggest asshole in the game.

1. He is an asshole because he decides to go the place at night while there is some Ghostbusters level stuff going on in the sky.

2. He is more than likely in the US...you couldn't bring a pistol with you knowing you were going into this place? A Glock with about 4 full mags would have done wonders...

3. Doesn't pick up anything to use as a weapon. There is stuff lying around! Dead guards all over the place that had big flashlights and nightsticks. Shards of glass you could make into a one time use shiv etc...

4. Does he seriously have to swear so much in his notes? Like you're in mortal danger and you are going to take the time to right the word "fuck" a hundred times in a 101 word sentence? Come on.

The whole time I'm thinking my guy is the biggest asshole...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
lol, I have just begun playing this, and the suddenly turned-on TV already scared the shit out of me. I will not survive this...

I was in party chat with a friend while I was finishing the game last night, he was just starting it. About 10 seconds after the first jump scare at the start of the game for him, he turned it off and got off party chat for the night! Haha. I think the game definitely can be scary, especially when you're being chased by a lunatic in the darkness and are trying to survive, but I played this game in the pitch black with headphones, and when I got tired went straight to bed. I think a game like Silent Hill can be a bit more psychologically scary rather than the type of fear this game invokes.

Just finished it and fucking lovedddd it. True, dying repeatedly in one area when looking for two switches or something made it lose a bit of its luster and got annoying during those parts. But as soon as I finished with those areas I was always tense as hell and convinced that some evil shit was gonna happen; never felt that there were just specific areas where I had to watch out for fat, naked, bloody men. There was definitely an over-reliance on some of those 'fetch of three of these - pull two of those' mechanics, but for all its flaws I was still so into it. I had that feeling that I just wanted it to be over when I was playing (which made the game feel pretty long to me, lol) but couldn't wait to start playing when I wasn't.

I thought the movement mechanics and feeling of being a person with limbs and not a floating head was spot on. Perhaps it's a bit same-y and basic visually but I thought it looked great and design wise I thought the asylum was pretty well made overall. So happy I could get this for free as I wouldn't have bought it otherwise; will definitely look into the DLC when it drops.

MazeHaze

Banned

It has happened to me numerous times, always with the big guy. Off the top of my head, once was in the sewers, I turned the valve or whatever then hid in the locker, about a minute later he stumbled into the room and stopped right in front of my locker, and pulled me out of it. Another time I remember was pulling one of the levers for the sprinklers, I hid in one of the lockers figuring he would make his way to the room I was in and sure enough, he did, and he found me.

-Digits-

I liked the game but whenever an objective came up and it turned out I had to collect 3 of this or turn two of that first, I just rolled my eyes and sighed. I don't know why but it's something that's really starting to bother me in games lately. I had the same issue with Bioshock Infinite for example. Probably more of a peeve I developed than a flaw with the game, though.
The game got really tense at times, but whenever a monster chase would start I felt like the Benny Hill tune should start playing. That was honestly the least scary thing in the game once you notice some flaws in how the ai works.

Lucent

I just finished the game, probably the best atmosphere since the REmake and Amnesia for me, even if doesn't touch the Resident Evil masterpiece. I jumped a ton and was legitimately scared in some sections, especially outdoors with the rain and lightning. Overall, I loved it and all of the files and character notes where super cool, I love in-game documents so much! Chris Walker reminded me of Nemesis a bit, minus weapons haha.

The story was pretty cool, I like the idea of realistic sci-fi Survival horror. I hope Red Barrels make a 3rd person SH game someday, I'd love to see their take on classic RE if any of their guys were fans. After all, there was a sketchy corporation in this game similar to a certain videogame pharmaceutical company...

Pretty much my same thoughts. I just finished it last night and it definitely made me jump a lot more than I thought it would. I was wearing headphones and in the dark, so I was totally immersed in it. I hate first person shooters, but first person seems to be great for horror games. Something about not being able to attack and only being able to run and hide make this game so much more intense than Condemned for me.

Like you, I loved the outside areas. Freaked me out so much, and I'm not easily scared. It's probably because your vision without the infrared/night vision stuff is so limited. Managing your camera's batteries is a nice element. I basically tried to wait until the camera was about to die before changing each time unless I had a feeling that an enemy would be coming and I'd need to run. And I definitely had to run.

Here are a few videos I took while playing. There was another one I would've liked to show, but unfortunately my PS4 didn't capture it for some reason. I still don't fully understand how you tell it exactly where to start and how to end it. Seems to be very random.

In this video, I get surprised because I thought the guy would pass me by and had no idea I was there. Just skip to 5 minutes in because the rest is me being cautious. I was seriously shaking a bit when I ran though because I booked it after he made me jump and my camera was dying.

In this one, I didn't anticipate the jump scare and I jumped when it happened. lol

This one is my favorite. I actually did this to him for like 5 minutes before I decided to move on. But this is only 26 seconds long. I just thought it was funny how I did this and he says "God dammit..."

EDIT: Remember to select HD if it looks too crap. lol

Vashetti

Banned
I liked the game but whenever an objective came up and it turned out I had to collect 3 of this or turn two of that first, I just rolled my eyes and sighed. I don't know why but it's something that's really starting to bother me in games lately. I had the same issue with Bioshock Infinite for example. Probably more of a peeve I developed than a flaw with the game, though.

I know what you mean. Could it be that visuals have gotten quite realistic these past few years, and this is creating a weird juxtaposition with in-game tasks?

Years ago it was fine to 'go here and press the switch, oh wait there's one over here you need to press too', because it was hidden behind simpler graphics and games themselves were simpler.

But now that games are trying to emulate realism, these tasks feel mundane and unrealistic. It'd be nice to see a developer try some new mechanics.

-Digits-

I'm honestly surprised that at no point in the game, right after changing the batteries, I looked up and stared right into some creep's face. Because I expected it to happen every time. Especially the part with that doctor. He's like the perfect guy to just look into your lens and go 'boo' just as you raise the camera again.

Frazley

I need to finish this game, I tried to play some of it one night and when I opened a door I literally screamed out loud and had to turn off the game. I am not brave when it comes to horror games, I saw a friend play through Amnesia, but I myself couldn't get past
the guest bedroom.

-Digits-

I know what you mean. Could it be that visuals have gotten quite realistic these past few years, and this is creating a weird juxtaposition with in-game tasks?

Years ago it was fine to 'go here and press the switch, oh wait there's one over here you need to press too', because it was hidden behind simpler graphics and games themselves were simpler.

But now that games are trying to emulate realism, these tasks feel mundane and unrealistic. It'd be nice to see a developer try some new mechanics.

I don't think it's realism so much as it is overuse. I find this much more immersion breaking than for example invisible walls or conveniently collapsed corridors in a linear game. Whenever a situation occurs like in this game near the end
where you get told you can go to the exit and then the objective suddenly changes to 'Find a different way out'
it's like OF COURSE, HOW CONVENIENT AND UNEXPECTED. Sort of like playing a shooter and walking into an area with conveniently placed cover and ammo and a 'surprise' gunfight follows.

III-V

DL'ed and played for an hour on Nightmare. Creepy. Reminds me of an old game I can't think of the name of.

Wife left the room multiple times.

Do lower difficulty levels increase battery life? That is about all I care about. Would consider restarting on a lower difficulty of this is the case.

It's less the violence than just the scares. This kind of shit used to get burned Into my memory at that age, so that whenever I'd walk down a dark hallway I'd speed up while looking behind me. No one would begrudge you your philosophy, just seems like a game like this would generate more than a few sleepless nights.

Back on topic, I'm liking the mechanics here - basically a hide and seek game. There's some silly moments like when you're in your fifth minute of aroun in circles with some dude slowly stalking you, smacking you every once in a while, but overall it's a pretty effectively done horror game. It's just pure atmosphere, i appreciate that.

Yeah and? My little guy is one of the most polite and kind kid anyone around me knows. He knows a game is a game. Oh and guess what,looking down in the shower he can see a dick too. If you are parenting well enough you can make them discern whats real or not. Would I let him watch evil dead or any horror flick.... No... Real people being dismembered is something elee. I still see this as a game. I know a ton of parents are letting little kid play games like Cod,Gta by themselves unsupervised. I would never let him do that

lolwut

I appreciate your parental philosophy, and you obviously have every right to raise your kid however you see fit, but that just makes no sense to me. I'm 100% onboard with the idea that most kids, in the right environment, have enough common sense to understand that a game is a game and there's a right and wrong context for watching media versus behavior in the real world.

But if you're confident enough that your kid can handle Outlast because he knows it's just a game, then he can handle CoD and GTA and whatever else.

HeelPower

lolwut

I appreciate your parental philosophy, and you obviously have every right to raise your kid however you see fit, but that just makes no sense to me. I'm 100% onboard with the idea that most kids, in the right environment, have enough common sense to understand that a game is a game and there's a right and wrong context for watching media versus behavior in the real world.

But if you're confident enough that your kid can handle Outlast because he knows it's just a game, then he can handle CoD and GTA and whatever else.

This game is not for kids-period.

I don't care about philosophies of raising children xD

Top Bottom