• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Tried it last night. Shat myself at the first jump scare. I knew the second one
wheelchair guy
was coming, just didn't know when... and it made me scream, again >.<

Got as far as the
padded cell
and nope :p

same here man...lmao!! the minimal noises, spooky soundtrack, etc. adds tons of suspense to outlast. I thought of quitting several times tbh...

Kolgar

Oh man, you guys. I just finished this on PC. I wish I'd known it was going to be out on PS+ so soon. My laptop only managed about 30fps at half the resolution--I'm thinking it's worth another go-round with such a sizable boost in visuals.

Certainly the atmosphere was visceral, foreboding, and just plain freaking awesome enough to warrant another run.

Time to collect some more grisly screenshots for my desktop wallpaper, lol.

Comfy couch, here I come!

Lakitu

st5fu
So, I had to pause the game. I don't think I can do it. I have a horrible fear of being chased and I'm pretty much frozen in fear because of it.

So now I'm in a situation where I'm pretty much cornered by
the fat guy.
He just bashed in a door and I just got past a corner coming from a vent and I think there's nowhere else to go. I have to resume at some point...

So I resumed it, and I can hear the guy just breathing heavily and running after me. I've reached a door, but I have to turn around quickly before it gets to me. I don't think I can do it. Fuck this game.

Sanctuary

Tried it last night. Shat myself at the first jump scare. I knew the second one
wheelchair guy
was coming, just didn't know when... and it made me scream, again >.<

Haha, I had the exact same experience. Some people talk about how after the first or second scare, they all become predictable and you can tell from a mile away what props are supposed to scare you. Well I figured that the
wheelchair guy
was a prop, but the timing of it is really what got me.

Plus, the audio is goddamn fantastic. Probably the best since the first Dead Space.

About to start a Stream from the beginning for anyone who is interested. My friend who is shit scared of everything will be playing so should be good for a laugh, put it this way he is scared to play Killzone because the Hellgast look scary so I am expecting a good reaction from him on this.

http://www.twitch.tv/yankeeruinx

Cmagus

Oh man playing this with my headphones in the controller this game has gotten me good a few times. The suspense and atmosphere is incredible. Nothing worse than hiding under a bed in a pitch black room when your battery is just about dead and you can hear it beeping as something is walking around lol.

Yuterald

So, I reach an objective (hitting a security switch to open a door), some dude attacks/corners me in the same room, I die and the game reloads me at the very same spot only now the enemies/pursuers have reset their positions...ugh. This is why I don't like checkpoint systems. This completely removed any sort of tension the game had going for it (which wasn't very much to begin with). I'm guessing this game is best played in Insane mode? This game should have just been a Condemned-like game with combat. It doesn't do the escape/hide shit as well as other horror games that have come before it (Haunting Ground/Clock Tower, to be specific).

Oh well, game seems to have some nice ideas and I like the setting and some of the design of the Asylum, but the fundamental game structure/system totally misses the point and fails.

JLeack

Banned
Nope: The Game.

I can't even play this, it's 2 scary 4 me.

Do yourself a favor and try it again, this time paying attention to the AI of the monsters. It's awful.

I actually laugh while playing this game. It's like being in a dungeon with morons trying to be scary.

Replicant

I wanna go back and find every document, but I don't think I can. I can't force myself to stick in a room for too long.

I've arrived at a point now where I am actually *very* keen to investigate every nook and cranny of the facility. I figured it'd be helpful to know my location well in case a chase is happening later on so I know where I'm going. Also, when in the prison, opening every door you can open, increasing the chance of confusing your pursuer because they'll not know where you actually headed.

Just played it for the first time. Never have I jumped so hard in my life. My stomach still hurts. And I did scream out loud too.

Started playing it the other night and man, those jump scares got me more than any other horror game i've played in a while.

I ran out of batteries when i accidentally reloaded the full charge i had in
that huge dark basement filled with water.
Totally panicked and ended up getting killed by that big dude that looks like nemesis. I also completely lost it when i was being chased and had to get to that dumbwaiter.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being Bioshock, 5 being F.E.A.R. and 10 being Amnesia - what be this?

Yes, I am aware that my scale is terrible.

daman824

So, on a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 being Bioshock, 5 being F.E.A.R. and 10 being Amnesia - what be this?

Yes, I am aware that my scale is terrible.
A 10 or 11 up until about the midpoint of the game. Then it plummets to a 3 when you realise how easy it is to break the bad ai. Honestly, close to the end you just get a bit tired and know when stuff is going to happen and how to deal with it without using stealth. But up to that halfway point the game is scarier than amnesia.

I am about to start Outlast, what difficulty would you guys suggest? Insane or Normal? What challenges does Insane pose? Appreciate non-spoiler replies!

Well I'd do Insane because it unlocks a trophy

uh yeah but you have to play the whole game in one sitting, and if you die you start from the beginning. not something i'd recommend for someone's first time. i'd say normal, or choose hard if you're a veteran of these types of games.

I feel like Sony should be hyping up the "NOPE" factor in commercials for this game, its like a horror movie but so much more invested..

Lakitu

st5fu
I have never seen so much
bums and penises in a game before.

I completed it though, didn't really get the ending. I both loathe and love it. I loathe it because it's absolutely terrifying but I love it because it makes me think on my feet and helps with my fear of being chased in games. By the end of it, I got better. It's short but really enjoyable, I can see myself replaying it a few times too.

Lucent

I have never seen so much
bums and penises in a game before.

I completed it though, didn't really get the ending. I both loathe and love it. I loathe it because it's absolutely terrifying but I love it because it makes me think on my feet and helps with my fear of being chased in games. By the end of it, I got better. It's short but really enjoyable, I can see myself replaying it a few times too.

I'm not very good at understanding some endings, but with this one I just figured
that after you killed the guy who was in the orb, your character gets possessed by the black phantom thing that had been chasing you around. You sort of became the new host for it. What I don't understand is why they shot you up. It seemed like they didn't realize you were the new host until after they shot you. Guess the guy in the wheelchair might've just used you to top what he had created but then wanted you dead so you wouldn't tell the world about what had been happening in the asylum.

I'm at the (location)
third floor of the female ward
, and still very much enjoying it. Yes, you can exploit the AI once you realise they patrol areas, but not knowing what to do or where to go is wonderful. Palpable panic. Difficulty wise, I think you want to go with a difficulty where you don't regularly die, because repeating a section a few times is when seams start to show.

I wasn't prepared for (location)
the outside courtyard in the rain
. It was a very effective change or pace, and the darkness was utterly cloying. Getting a read on where sounds were coming from was harder, and it make the whole thing much more terrifying. I couldn't wait to make it
back inside[/back].

The game shines when you haven't died for a while, and you are trying to control your panic as you flee through unknown corridors trying to lose your pursuer.

I figure I haven't got much of it left, but I will definately be buying the DLC. For me this was much scarier than Amnesia, as you are actually punished when you get caught, both in story and in gameplay.

The sound design in this game is what gets me the worse. It's one thing to get a quick jump scare, but compared to the amount of tension I get from hearing something rattle in the dark, the squeaks of the floor boards, my character starting to breath heavy... Freaking incredible!

Rflagg

I am about to start Outlast, what difficulty would you guys suggest? Insane or Normal? What challenges does Insane pose? Appreciate non-spoiler replies!

Normal for your first go gets my vote

Day one on the dlc they are coming out with I am about half way through I think and loving the horror and the fact that I die often, well done red barrels you have my attention.

Edit: I was in San Diego on vacation until the 9th so I feel so far behind everyone. :/

Terra_Ex

The sound design in this game is what gets me the worse. It's one thing to get a quick jump scare, but compared to the amount of tension I get from hearing something rattle in the dark, the squeaks of the floor boards, my character starting to breath heavy... Freaking incredible!
I nearly jumped out of my skin yesterday playing this. The
naked doctor guy - biggest nope moment so far,
was prowling around, I'd just escaped from him and he'd left the room after chatting away to himself for a while. So I sneak to entrance of the room, all is quiet and then suddenly he calls out from somewhere just just to my right. I literally jumped in my chair and turned the camera in a panic towards the source of his voice, and there he was, close enough to touch but he hadn't seen me yet. I crept back into the room and whimpered in fear there for a while. It's really great, even just the pure silence adds to the atmosphere.

Has there been DLC confirmed for this then? I hope they do a new campaign that takes place where you play as an orderly or something just when it all kicks off if they do.

Has there been DLC confirmed for this then? I hope they do a new campaign that takes place where you play as an orderly or something just when it all kicks off if they do.

Yes sir, it has been confirmed by the devs themselves! for PS4 as well.

Talk about overreacting ... and turn that damned camera off when it's light. I wonder if he approaches everything in life like this?

I can imagine him walking around a supermarket:

"Buy one get one FREE! That's what I'm talking about."
"I get change ... this is UNREAL!"

7341189.jpg
You got Archie bunker down pat.

Ilúvatar

Yes, there is going to be prequel DLC called Whistleblower where you play as the person who notified Upshur of the goings on at the Asylum.

Ilúvatar;100398248 said:
Yes, there is going to be prequel DLC called Whistleblower where you play as the person who notified Upshur of the goings on at the Asylum.

Awesome so you play as the programmer guy who sends you the original tipoff then? That's cool I suppose but I assume everything must have been fairly under control while he was there otherwise he would have been a bit more concerned in his original letter to you about the place.

Do yourself a favor and try it again, this time paying attention to the AI of the monsters. It's awful.

I actually laugh while playing this game. It's like being in a dungeon with morons trying to be scary.

I know, I figured that when I was getting hit by a guy and was able to just run back and forward past him.

It's not the monsters that are scary, I hate the whole darkness and tension of it, not something happening, but the threat of something happening.

JLeack

Banned
I think Amnesia numbed me. This game actually makes me laugh.

That's really disappointing since I've been anticipating its PS4 release for three months.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The horror isn't about breaking the ai. Once you can see something clearly it isn't scary anyway. The horror is, or at least for me, things popping out of the darkness, frittering across the screen, making noises in some distant corner, the constant paranoia of wondering where the pursuers could be or could come from, and in the game's most effective moment, the sheer terror and chaos of sensory overload (
running for the dumb waiter
). As soon as I knew where an enemy was, I was no longer afraid. But damn if I wasn't afraid when they weren't around.

Replicant

Yeah, the horror of this game comes more from the sense of lost at the maze while a psychotic is on your ass.

But after a while, I got fed up at feeling helpless. I kinda want to punch the face of the psycho while they grab me so they'll stop bad-touching me. But I can't. The character can only whimper and yelp.

The horror isn't about breaking the ai. Once you can see something clearly it isn't scary anyway. The horror is, or at least for me, things popping out of the darkness, frittering across the screen, making noises in some distant corner, the constant paranoia of wondering where the pursuers could be or could come from, and in the game's most effective moment, the sheer terror and chaos of sensory overload (
running for the dumb waiter
). As soon as I knew where an enemy was, I was no longer afraid. But damn if I wasn't afraid when they weren't around.

Yeah. The game is awesome when you aren't dying. When you are listening for audio cues while hiding, or while exploring. Or when you barely ace a chase the first time. I ran from stuff I didn't even see.

Definitely worthy of my time anyway, and definitely something that deserves some money thrown at it come DLC time. It's not perfect, but for an indie horror title it's very strong.

Top Bottom