• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast PS4 |OT|

Replicant

Did you watch videos of other people playing so you knew what to expect? If not, only 3 runs on Insane mode is impressive considering everything that can go wrong.

I haven't done it but judging from my previous run, the hardest part would have to be Tragger. That SOB has a rather persistent patrol routes and it's hard to shift those trolleys without him hearing about it or seeing you in the middle of the act unless you managed to lure him into one of the patients' room and managed to get out of the room unseen by him.

I also think Chris could be problematic in some areas if you forget when he's supposed to appear.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah, I can't fuck with this game. Gave it the old college try and I just can't do it.

Major kudos to the guys behind this thing. Superb job. Everything is on point. The art, the sound design, the atmosphere, etc. Everything is top notch.

Not enough Depends in the world can make me finish it though.

KeRaSh

I finally booted up the game since my headphones arrived.
So much nope. I played it during bright sunlight and I still jumped like a scared little girl...
Not sure if I can actually do this...

Did you watch videos of other people playing so you knew what to expect? If not, only 3 runs on Insane mode is impressive considering everything that can go wrong.

I looked up 2 sections that got me on my first 2 runs. I did a speed run through it and since I knew what was coming it wasn't too bad.

Yeah, I can't fuck with this game. Gave it the old college try and I just can't do it.

Major kudos to the guys behind this thing. Superb job. Everything is on point. The art, the sound design, the atmosphere, etc. Everything is top notch.

Not enough Depends in the world can make me finish it though.

Couldn't have agreed more!

Though the only thing that took away the immersion
is that nanotechnology stuff being the thing behind walrider

I didn't find it convincing enough!

Everything else was just crazy good. Terrific Soundscape!

Courage

Finished it last night. The ending
was fucking garbage. I tried to like the game, but the repetitive chase encounters and stupid story spoiled most of my time with it.

DBT85

Ok. My mate just left. I was only going to play Outlast with him as he loves horror stuff, and I don't. I'm a proper scaredy cat.

We played for about 3 hours together. Got as far as the
male block trying to outrun the two dudes who want to chop you up "need meat need meat meat! Fuck fuck fuck".

Both jumping and screaming like small children. Had the lights off and as much daylight blocked as possible.

At one point I closed a door, turned the valve or whatever, opened the door and screamed properly loud as the guy was just standing there.

At another, we were hiding in a locker and I said "would be cool if every 15 or so times, they open both lockers, or at least the one you are in" guess what happened? lol.

Both very much enjoyed not just playing but watching. More than other games where you might play with someone watching.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to play something with unicorns and pixies and rainbows.

Reule

Just started playing this and stopped a little bit after the first trophy. Pretty creepy, reminds me of Condemned as far as atmosphere goes.

Question: When you hover Outlast on the PS4 dashboard, does it read "No content was found"? Just curious because Recent Activites and Trophies show up underneath but nothing in the overview like other games.

RoeBear

Just started playing this and stopped a little bit after the first trophy. Pretty creepy, reminds me of Condemned as far as atmosphere goes.

Question: When you hover Outlast on the PS4 dashboard, does it read "No content was found"? Just curious because Recent Activites and Trophies show up underneath but nothing in the overview like other games.

Mine says no content as well. I think that's usually a place for DLC or something.

Replicant

I need advice from someone who has completed Insane. How did you deal with that random nutcase who runs off to attack you after you got climbed of sewer via broken ladder/almost encountering Chris?

Is there a way not to aggro him (the nutcase not the big nutcase Chris)? I tried sneaking and yet he still heard me. At one point I managed to evade him by running through the hole and got out back into the hallway before I ran back into another hole. But this is not a foolproof method and the next time I tried that, he didn't follow me and instead attacked me once I got out of the hole.

Cudder

The guy that chases you head on down the hall? As soon as you get in the hallway there is a small loop to the left you can just go through and lose him. You won't take damage that way.

Replicant

The guy that chases you head on down the hall? As soon as you get in the hallway there is a small loop to the left you can just go through and lose him. You won't take damage that way.

I did that once and it worked once maybe because he was hot on my tail. But in another occasion, he didn't follow me into the small loop. Instead he waited outside the loop and sliced me when I came out before he followed me again into the last loop and sliced me again. It's fucking annoying.

I guess I'll try it again tonight and hope it'll work one more time.

Cudder

I did that once and it worked once maybe because he was hot on my tail. But in another occasion, he didn't follow me into the small loop. Instead he waited outside the loop and sliced me when I came out before he followed me again into the last loop and sliced me again. It's fucking annoying.

I guess I'll try it again tonight and hope it'll work one more time.

Wait until he's pretty close to you before you go in the loop, he'll follow you 100% of the time. Of course he'll be chasing you right after that so you had better know your way out.

Replicant

Wait until he's pretty close to you before you go in the loop, he'll follow you 100% of the time. Of course he'll be chasing you right after that so you had better know your way out.

Thanks man! I'll try it again tonight. It's frustrating because after I got this one to work last night, I got killed by Chris in the backyard.

Finished Outlast last night!

First of all, PS+ is AMAZING. It's provided two of my favorite PS4 games for free - this and Resogun. Not to mention all of the amazing free PS3 games. Can't wait to find out the March IGC.

So, Outlast is my favorite horror game ever! Granted, I haven't played too many games that have scares - only: Amnesia, Condemned, Dead Space, Metro 2033, RE4, and Alan Wake.

I played Outlast on Hard at night with headphones. First of all, it scared me MANY times with jump scares. This includes:
the TV suddenly turning on near the start, the dead body popping out shortly after, the wheelchair guy suddenly jumping at me, and many other times when bad guys jumped out of corners.
I actually don't understand why some people write off jump scares as being cheap - if they make you jump/shriek and make you dread the possibility of the next one, then what's the problem? I found them very effective. I loved the option of slowly opening doors; it made me lean in while being terrified that something would grab and kill me.

The game also scared me in ways besides the jump scares. This includes several of the creepy characters:
the fanatical priest, insane doctor, walrider, etc.
I was particularly impressed with how tense being chased was. There were MANY great moments running away from big evil guys hunting me down. Three of my favorite moments were:
attempting to turn on the pumps and breaker in the basement while being hunted, hiding/fleeing from the crazy doctor who wanted to cut me to pieces, and fleeing from bad guys outside in the pouring rain. There were several other spectacular moments as well.

I also found the story to be quite interesting. The notes and documents were a great way to delve deeper into the history of the asylum, and to gain insight into what the main character was thinking. I thought the ending was decent, if not spectacular.

I understand some of the complaints people have about the chase and hide sequences becoming too repetitive. By the end, I was beginning to hope I wouldn't have to face another big bad who would chase me through the dark. I didn't have a big problem with the AI, though. I was frequently killed from accidentally running into one of the bad guys. It always kept me on my toes.

Overall, the game was incredible; my favorite horror game. Made me jump and gave me the chills far more than any game I've ever played before. The sound design was also impeccable, graphics were great (60 FPS and 1080p), and the story was satisfying.

I much preferred this game over Amnesia. Amnesia scared me at times, but I hated the story. I also didn't enjoy the puzzles much at all. Dead Space is my second favorite horror game.

Finished this game this morning, I really enjoyed the story and there were some excellent bits in the game, my personal favourite was the courtyard section -
being outside with almost no visibility and ended up getting chased by that massive dude and the Wallrider. Atmosphere was spot on, it was really tense and induced a sense of panic and "get the hell out of there!".

There was only one frustrating bit in the game for me (on Normal difficulty) and that was getting the
elevator key in the Mad Doctor section. What is the proper way of doing it? I tried to do it all stealthy, creeping into one of the wards to the left, waiting until his back was turned and then shoving the metal crate out the way but it just didn't give me enough time. In the end I just ran through the entire section which somehow worked :/ It kind of soured my mood on the game, thankfully it picked right back up when the Doc got crushed in the elevator (oh how sweet that was!)

What's insane mode like? I might try a run through and grab the rest of the trophies before the DLC hits (can't wait to see where the story goes in that).

Oh, and was I the only one that was really gutted that we didn't get to
exit the Asylum safely? I was really looking forward to safely walking out of there relieved that the nightmare was over but the game had other ideas :(

Cudder

You are my hero. I honestly cannot stomach going back to it.

It's not that hard. When I first heard about what Insane mode was I told myself I'd never want to do it. Then I heard it only takes an hour if you're running through. You don't lose much time if you fail, so that kept me coming back. It's really doable, just takes practice.

Replicant

Beat it on insane last night!

Me too! Got through that crazy asshole by running around the column like you suggested. And got away from Chris by running around the gazebo. Throughout the whole thing I had to go "Don't look back, don't look back. OMG, He's behind me, isn't he?"

I can't get past the pump room early on. :( It's scary but more then that I just have no idea how to escape that dude.

The one in the basement or the one in the sewer?

The one in the basement:

The minute you go down, run for the middle room and activate the switch there and then run to the right room, activate the switch, and hide in the closet. He will come, check the closet next to you and leave. Not long after he left, get out. If you don't wait too long, he should still be inspecting the elevated platform, so you can sneak into the left room and find the power switch in the maze there. Immediately hide after you turn it on because he'll come. Then you just have to wait a bit before going out. But don't go through the entrance yet. Instead hide in the room with a bunk bed. He will pass you again and go to the power switch room. This is when you run back to the main area, turn the power on the elevated platform and run back upstairs.

FrankWza

I can't get past the pump room early on. :( It's scary but more then that I just have no idea how to escape that dude.

Just learn his patterns. He walks to a certain area after each room so either get out quick or hide in that room until he leaves after you've switched on. The last one you need to stay because you'll run into him before you get back tto turn on power after that just leave.

But yeah...it's scary

Try playing this game when stoned. Too terrifying. When I escaped from the monster I felt a relief but then realized there was no such thing as a chilling place in this game to escape to. It just goes on scaring you. That's when I said "nope" and quit. I'll come back to it again someday, though.. and, yes, when stoned, too.

Cudder

Me too! Got through that crazy asshole by running around the column like you suggested. And got away from Chris by running around the gazebo. Throughout the whole thing I had to go "Don't look back, don't look back. OMG, He's behind me, isn't he?"

The one in the basement or the one in the sewer?

The one in the basement:

The minute you go down, run for the middle room and activate the switch there and then run to the right room, activate the switch, and hide in the closet. He will come, check the closet next to you and leave. Not long after he left, get out. If you don't wait too long, he should still be inspecting the elevated platform, so you can sneak into the left room and find the power switch. Immediately hide after you turn it on because he'll come. Then you just have to wait a bit before going out. But don't go through the entrance yet. Instead hide in the room with a bunk bed under the bed. He will pass you again and go to the power switch room. This is when you run back to the main area, turn the power on the elevated platform and run back upstairs.

Even better. As soon as you get to the basement, Run to the switch room on the right, and then immediately run into the switch room on the left. When you hit the two switches, run straight to the third door that the guy busts through. If you did it fast enough, he will bust through right when you get to the door, when he does, simply run past him and go to the last room and close the door behind you. Flip the switch and turn right, and hide in the corner of the room and crouch. When he busts in the room you're in, he will 100% of the time check the lockers on the other side of the room. When he does, simply high tail it to the last switch and then out of the basement.

Oni Jazar

Thanks for the help guys just reading how to do it scares the shit out of me lol.

Part of it is not being able to save so I have to do it all over again.

system11

Well I finished it last night, pretty good but not stellar. It did have me on edge a few times but not as much as Condemned for example. I think my main criticism would be that it felt a bit drawn out and samey by the time I was wandering around collecting another 'x' items surrounded by hospital beds, but at the same time it's not an expensive game even if you had to pay for it.

Overall: decent - worth your time.

It's not that hard. When I first heard about what Insane mode was I told myself I'd never want to do it. Then I heard it only takes an hour if you're running through. You don't lose much time if you fail, so that kept me coming back. It's really doable, just takes practice.

Great to know, I tried it once in Insane, died a little early on in the game since I wasn't exactly rushing through. Did you play it on Insane in the night between 10-3 with the lights turned off?

I feel so proud of myself for beating this game haha. Seriously, this is the most intense game I've ever played. I was constantly on edge and almost shat myself multiple times.

This part in the link below, where you have to run through multiple doors and barricade them while like 5 crazy motherfuckers are chasing you, screaming shit like "there's more than one way to fuck a cat" was definitely the hardest part to get through during my game, and this was like my 6th attempt. I've never been more scared playing a game then I was during this part. I absolutely loved every minute of this game.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1417648875147877&l=34086036232448469

FrankWza

I feel so proud of myself for beating this game haha. Seriously, this is the most intense game I've ever played. I was constantly on edge and almost shat myself multiple times.
This part in the link below, where you have to run through multiple doors and barricade them while like 5 crazy motherfuckers are chasing you, screaming shit like "there's more than one way to fuck a cat" was definitely the hardest part to get through during my game, and this was like my 6th attempt. I've never been more scared playing a game then I was during this part. I absolutely loved every minute of this game.

spoiler tags

EL CUCO

The game is freaking EXCELLENT. The absolute BEST and MOST scares I've had in any video game...OR MOVIE! 2nd to only Halloween Horrornight in universal Studios.

Cudder

Great to know, I tried it once in Insane, died a little early on in the game since I wasn't exactly rushing through. Did you play it on Insane in the night between 10-3 with the lights turned off?

I've played through the game so much that it lost all of it's scares on me, so it wouldn't have made a difference what time I played Insane mode, it wasn't scary in the least. My first playthrough I only played at night and it was pretty scary though.

Just downloaded the game and played for a couple hours and I'm really digging it so far.
I can handle scary movies no problems but I'm a giant baby when it comes to horror games, and so I had to turn it off after a bit because I got too stressed out haha. I made it to the point where
you are back in the cell block with the giant dude but now the lights are off

I really like the atmosphere of the game, partly because insane asylums have always creeped the shit out of me (shocker, right?!), and make for excellent game environments (part of the reason I loved Arkham Asylum so much). The very first minutes of the game where you are walking up to the asylum just really capture the atmosphere of the place so well, and I hope there will be some more gameplay sections outside.

I also really like the whole video camera angle, and the night vision makes everything look terrifying. However, is there any reason whatsoever to unequip the camera at any point? I don't really get why they would have an equip/unequip button for it if you don't need to take it off.

I'm actually liking the game more than Amnesia so far (which I have not completed. Made it to the dungeons and have taken a loooong break because it stressed me out too much). I greatly prefer the asylum setting of Outlast, and it feels a lot more detailed and I'm a sucker for great environmental storytelling in games and Outlast is pretty good at that. Also, while I normally think documents/audiologs are lazy storytelling in games I actually like them in Outlast because they logically make sense for them to be there for the most part, and they don't take long to read and don't disrupt the flow of the game.

My only complaints/worries about the game so far are that:
a) I can see how the game might get repetitive down the line. But so far I think they've done a good job with mixing up the encounters, throwing in story sections, and providing new environments.
b) I kinda hope that the story doesn't get too
supernatural. I know there was the security footage of the soldiers getting wiped out by some invisible thing, but I would have preferred messed up experiments and crazy people to ghosts/mind powers or whatever.
But if it's done well I won't mind.

All in all, really liking the game so far, and if I still like it by the end I will definitely be looking forward to the Whistleblower DLC.

So I've made more progress into the game and I think I'm almost at the end. I just entered
the female ward

This game remains as awesome as I thought it was earlier in my play through. I don't really have very many problems with the game but I'll get those out of the way first:
1) the encounters are getting a little predictable with the whole turning valves and avoiding the big guy (but they still manage to be pretty tense for me, even if I'm better at exploiting the AI. Although it helps I'm playing on Normal difficulty, because if the game were one hit kill I would probably be too much of a baby to try stuff).
2) The story seems to
either be going into heavy supernatural territory or do the whole cliched thing of my character is actually going crazy/was crazy all along thing. I recently had my first encounter with the Walrider and it just looked like a goofy floating skeleton thing, so that was a little disappointing
3) As phenomenal as I think the art direction is on a whole, I can't help but wonder if the game would be a little scarier if it were a tad bit more restrained, as it's a little easier to be detached from the experience when all the inmates are pretty mutilated looking, and you get desensitized to corpse piles pretty quickly.
4) Even though the inmates have their own personalites and looks, they all behave in the exact same way. Chase you, and stab/beat/mutilate you.

On to the things that I am loving about the game:
1) The environment: both in terms of its art, and as a physical place. The art assets for the asylum are really, really strong and combined with the lighting and great camera effects the game looks very real at times. And for a game that is essentially a linear haunted house tour, it does a fantastic job at disguising that and feels like you are really exploring this nightmare place. There are just enough nooks and crannies to explore, and more open levels with maze like hallways to get lost in that keep the tension high and it make it not feel like a hallway crawl. There's also lots of really nice environmental storytelling at play with little details about where you are in the asylum and who worked/was incarcerated there. Also, it does the whole Ravenholm thing sort of where
earlier on you see a path to the 'female ward' but it's blocked off, thus building up mystery as to if you will ever go there and what's in there, and lo and behold I'm now in the female ward.
I love it when games tease locations like that. Also, I got my wish of
going outside again
, not that I can see anything, but the lightning was great.
2) As generic as the overall story is turning out, I still really like the documents you find and video notes you make. They're short, rewarding, and they help flesh out the environment. For example I really like that you
find a file on who the big guy is. It really makes him feel like a real presence in the world rather than some anonymous boogeyman
3) The game has surprisingly good pacing. Sure, it doesn't give you very many breaks, or it feels like doesn't, but it actually mixes things up quite nicely. For example you might go from a chase setpiece, to a more open area where you have to stealth and find an item, to a story section, to a 'calmer' part where there are just a few jump scares to keep you on your toes. Combined with the excellent variation in environments, the game hasn't worn out its welcome at all, despite me getting more used to the AI.
4) The game is just scary, and stressful as fuck, even as I get used to its mechanics. A couple stand out scary parts:
the sewers, where you're in the water and you can hear the big guy but the place is so big and dark that you can't see him? terrifying (also the section right before it where you work your way up the cell block place was really well done)
and
the fucking scissor man. Starting with escaping the intense chase scene to what you think is the safety of a dumbwaiter, only to have this dude strap you into a wheelchair, show you the exit (which you go back to, as per what I noted about the awesome environment) and then cut off your fingers was great. This whole section was so over the top I love it. And then when you are in the big male ward area and you have to find the key as this dude stalks you with his big ass scissors? It might have been the most stressful part of the game for me so far

I can't wait to finish this game up next time I play, and even if the game shits the bed with its ending, I definitely wholeheartedly recommend the game if you're in the mood for a great horror experience with a fantastic environment. I'm totally looking forward to the DLC now.

BadAss2961

I never even noticed all the crazy shit they were saying. lol

Too busy running for my life.

Finished the game today! So I'll give some final impressions while they're still fresh in my mind:

1) From where I left off at the start of
the female ward
I thought I was almost at the finish line, and while it was close to the end there was a fair bit more gameplay than I thought there would be. In fact the game as a whole was longer than I thought (or felt longer anyway). I think my camera's timer was around 3 and a half hours by the end of the game, but even adding the time my camera wasn't equipped it still doesn't feel that long...it seemed like I was playing for like 6 or 7 hours at least, but then again that's probably just because I was scared shitless most of the time.

2) There were some really great moments in the final chapters. I really loved
losing your camera. It was cool having to navigate the environment only using natural light, and added some great tension. I had a real sense of dread having to go back downstairs to get it. Also I loved that when you get the camera again, half the screen is shattered and the game freaks you out with the occasional digital glitch; just fantastic attention to detail.
Speaking of attention to detail: you leave bloody footprints when you walk through pools of it! Love when games do that.

3) The environmental progression/atmosphere continued to be top notch. Loved
the cinema room with the projector, and the chapel
. The
underground lab, while definitely the least scary location in the game, still has that great attention to detail and is a fantastic change of pace from the darker, claustrophobic locations in the asylum. I also got huge Resident Evil vibes from having the game end in a lab.
I have to say though, it feels like a huge missed opportunity to
not have any females in the female ward. I was really looking forward to meeting some terrifying ladies, and it would have been a great change of pace considering there are only men in the game. Seriously though...why include a FEMALE ward if you're not going to put any females in it??? Oh well, maybe it would have cost too much to get more VA's and create new models

4) As for the story, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. I really like how they were very conscious that people such as myself would
think that it's either supernatural or your protagonist is crazy, and they play with both those things. They portray the Walrider like a ghost, and then near the cinema room they have a guy say "have you ever wondered if you're really a patient?" I thought those were clever read herrings. Nanotechnology was a pretty unique spin (it was a Prey-esque, as in the Michael Crichton book not the game), and it made the religious guys whole deal make sense. I probably would have rather they just kept it scary and low key with no crazy shit, but if they were going the crazy route I'm glad they went that route as it was fairly unique and unexpected.

5) I do think the ending felt a little rushed though with how quickly it ended, and I think it missed out on doing two things:
First, it would have been great to get outside at the end and see daylight! That would have been soooo cathartic. They could have kept the whole your character is the host of the nano monster, but give you some emotional release as well. And secondly, considering how integral your camera and the footage you get is to the game, I think it was a missed opportunity not to tie that into the ending in some way

So yeah, I absolutely loved the game and everyone should play it (I'm kind of a pussy at scary games and I beat it). Really really impressive first game from Red Barrel, and I eagerly look forward to whatever they come up with next. If it is a sequel to Outlast though, I hope it's more of a spiritual sequel in a new terrifying location with a new premise, just because I don't think the
Walrider was very scary. Unless they do something like the nanomachines infect people and make them crazy

While the game doesn't really have a lot of replay ability, I can definitely see myself coming back to it down the line once I've forgotten some of the specifics so it will be scary again. Also, it's great fun to play with other people and I'd love to see some newbies reactions to it.

Scoot2005

Banned
I don't even want to try to play this anymore. I'm still at the generator part lol. Now... When Alien Isolation comes out I'll be able to eat that one up just because I'm a huge Aliens fan.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't even want to try to play this anymore. I'm still at the generator part lol. Now... When Alien Isolation comes out I'll be able to eat that one up just because I'm a huge Aliens fan.

I am on the same spot, too... Cant progress, because after pressing the third switch, the one enemy is always in the middle of the way and dont let me pass to enter the flooded area with the generator. Is there something I need to do to enter the area again? If you dont know, which area I mean, I can draw something, if you want.

Beside that, the game is absolut terror. Cant play more than 30 minutes in a row, before it all gets to much. Never feelt something like this about a game since a long time.

I am on the same spot, too... Cant progress, because after pressing the third switch, the one enemy is always in the middle of the way and dont let me pass to enter the flooded area with the generator. Is there something I need to do to enter the area again? If you dont know, which area I mean, I can draw something, if you want.

Beside that, the game is absolut terror. Cant play more than 30 minutes in a row, before it all gets to much. Never feelt something like this about a game since a long time.

Is this near the start when you go down into the basement to turn the power back on? But, the system has tripped out two other switches (in rooms off of the room with the generator). As soon as you turn one of those on, a guy comes in to check. One room has a locker, one has a bed to hide.

I've just done this part, I can write out what I did, if this is the bit you are referring to :)

You have to either hide and wait for him to pass, or you have to run around through the maze and lose him and then make a mad dash for the generator (I took the latter approach).

This game stressed me out like no other, but I was eventually able to play for extended periods of time just because the atmosphere sucked me in so well and I wanted to see what they would throw at me next.

kriskrosbbk

I have died 35 times here .The guy always catches me after I hit the second generator and go out the room .Pissed already.

Top Bottom