• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders is Coming to Xbox Game Pass on Day One

KingT731

This paired with the commitment to Gamepass by publishers like EA tell me that Gamepass is doing muuuuuch better behind the scenes than we even realize.

I know Microsoft has money to throw at alot of problems but this seems like more than that.
See this a yes and no type of deal. We know the Devs/Publishers are getting paid (some have spoken about it already). As we don't know how much they are paying out (be it flat rates, performance based or both) and we don't know how the value to gamepass is determined.

At the end of the day we're looking the business side of these deals. So how much they are willing to spend would have many variables...especially in the long term (see : loss leader strategy employed by many services)

Does this mean that Microsoft will be buying Square Enix... on Wednesday?

All the trailers for it looked pretty damn cool. I downloaded the demo and played it for about 5-10 minutes... got distracted and never went back. I sometimes make snap decisions LOL i'll be keeping an eye on the game around release/at release.

Stuart360

Days Gone is AAA.
Its made by a small studio with Sony's money behind it. Just like Outriders is made by a smallish studio with Square Enix money behind it.
If we go by your definition, probably 70% of AAA games are really Indie as smaller studios often make them and are bankrolled by the publisher.
If Square Enix spent say 50mil on Outriders, its a AAA game, even if it was made by one developer who took 50 years to make it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Does this mean that Microsoft will be buying Square Enix... on Wednesday?

All the trailers for it looked pretty damn cool. I downloaded the demo and played it for about 5-10 minutes... got distracted and never went back. I sometimes make snap decisions LOL i'll be keeping an eye on the game around release/at release.
Sega Wednesday, Square Enix Thursday, the world Friday.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Its made by a small studio with Sony's money behind it. Just like Outriders is made by a smallish studio with Square Enix money behind it.
If we go by your definition, probably 70% of AAA games are really Indie as smaller studios often make them and are bankrolled by the publisher.
If Square Enix spent say 50mil on Outriders, its a AAA game, even if it was made by one developer who took 50 years to make it.
Indeed any game with budget of $50m is AAA.
It is not the Outriders case lol

Now they wanna derail downplaying the quality of the game. Yet none of them were saying anything in the demo thread 🤷🏻‍♂️
AAA has nothing to do with quality but budget.
A low budget game can have better quality than a AAA one... and vice versa.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Well i was being hypothetical with the price, but if you know the budget then tell us. Square Enix behind it, 4+ years of development, we are going to be talking tens of millions here.
I think the whole Indie thing needs to be reclassified anyway. Valheim is one of the biggest games on the planet at the momemnt, and would be a huge deal if Gamepass got it. You couldnt exactly say 'oh its just an Indie though and doesnt mean anything' could you.

driqe

Chukhopops

This is very true, which would in turn not surprise me that other "MMO-Lite" new franchises take this same approach in the future.
I think the same because with this style of game you either take off immediately or die (Avengers, Anthem). Going for GP or PS+ ensures you get a bit of traction.

I think this decision was made after looking at pre-orders and demo player numbers but I can’t know for sure.

ethomaz

Banned
Well i was being hypothetical with the price, but if you know the budget then tell us. Square Enix behind it, 4+ years of development, we are going to be talking tens of millions here.
I think the whole Indie thing needs to be reclassified anyway. Valheim is one of the biggest games on the planet at the momemnt, and would be a huge deal if Gamepass got it. You couldnt exactly say 'oh its just an Indie though and doesnt mean anything' could you.
It is not about mean anything or the quality of the game... it is abou games that enter in the Gamepass from 3rd-parties on day one.

If you spend AAA budget on the game you don’t want it on Gamepass on day one because you want to recover that budget first.

Now with non AAA games and Indies it is easier because the budget is smaller and can be recovered in a day one Gamepass deal.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
XljvZE.gif

driqe

It is not about mean anything or the quality of the game... it is abou games that enter in the Gamepass from 3rd-parties on day one.

If you spend AAA budget on the game you don’t want it on Gamepass on day one because you want to recover that budget first.

Now with non AAA games and Indies it is easier because the budget is smaller and can be recovered in a day one Gamepass deal.
top tier trolling

driqe

Square Enix bringing games to Game Pass day one but won't even give Xbox a digital-only remaster of a 20 year old game :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call::messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Stuart360

Do you think Microsoft called in the swat team to the developers families and held them at gunpoint while they signed the deal or something?.
They are obviously being paid a tidy sum that the studio thinks is worth it. Pre-orders for the game have been up 2 or 3 weeks now, they can make an estimate of any money 'lost' by the game being on Gamepass.
Developers dont have to put their games on Gamepass, i dont know why people dont get this.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I watched this on Twitch...didn't really grab me. I'll try the demo. At any rate it's great for those who like the game and planned on buying it either day one or eventually.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Do you think Microsoft called in the swat team to the developers families and held them at gunpoint while they signed the deal or something?.
They are obviously being paid a tidy sum that the studio thinks is worth it. Pre-orders for the game have been up 2 or 3 weeks now, they can make an estimate of any money 'lost' by the game being on Gamepass.
Developers dont have to put their games on Gamepass, i dont know why people dont get this.
That is exactly what I said... 3rd parties accept the deal based in the game budget and how they expected to sell without Gamepass.

Plus they probably saw the Gamepass deal covering the budget and accepted due the exposure of the game... it is working.

Last edited:
Can a mod explain how all of a sudden people who weren't expressing "concerns" over the games quality or budget in the impressions thread, are now in here with that rather than on topic?

DGrayson DGrayson Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights

All but one of these trolls actually posted in the demo thread
Don't want to ruin your circle jerk here...
But one of you poke a guy for his opinion then you all cry because he doesn't answer to your liking.

Running to the mods ...classic Concern Concern
Season 4 Dwight GIF by The Office

On Topic: Nice get for GP

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
See this a yes and no type of deal. We know the Devs/Publishers are getting paid (some have spoken about it already). As we don't know how much they are paying out (be it flat rates, performance based or both) and we don't know how the value to gamepass is determined.

At the end of the day we're looking the business side of these deals. So how much they are willing to spend would have many variables...especially in the long term (see : loss leader strategy employed by many services)
I understand the concept of operating at a loss in the short term for long term gains and I'm sure that is part of the strategy, but I still doubt we would have so many big publishers on board just for a short payday if they didn't believe in the service in the long term.

I suspect we are going to see EA and Ubisoft make much bigger commitments to Gamepass in the near future. Not sure what that will look like yet, just seems like the entire industry is behind Gamepass at this point and that doesn't happen just because Microsoft writes a big paycheck.

Concern

Don't want to ruin your circle jerk here...
But one of you poke a guy for his opinion then you all cry because he doesn't answer to your liking.

Running to the mods ...classic Concern Concern
Season 4 Dwight GIF by The Office

On Topic: Nice get for GP

No surprise you're oblivious to what your spec thread buddies post lol. Cool story

Can a mod explain how all of a sudden people who weren't expressing "concerns" over the games quality or budget in the impressions thread, are now in here with that rather than on topic?

DGrayson DGrayson Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights

All but one of these trolls actually posted in the demo thread
He got @'d to come comment.

Now you're mad he came to comment? Also, others are going back and forth with him. It's not like he's just posting endlessly, bashing the game's quality.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I watched this on Twitch...didn't really grab me. I'll try the demo. At any rate it's great for those who like the game and planned on buying it either day one or eventually.

I liked the demo but not enough to buy it since I have too many games I want to play at the moment. I was going to play it when it eventually came to GP, but now that it's day 1, it will move ahead of all those other games I want to play.

If i were Sony i would ask Square to pay the same amount than MS paid for it and put it free on PS+. That or not published in PSN. Sony cant start happily to finance GP games.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Maybe because the estimate sales on Steam is better than the deal for Gamepass PC? 🤔
Exactly. Too much money on the table regarding the PC version. The deal Microsoft offered them wasnt enough to cover PC in their mind, but was enough to cover what they thought they would shift on the Xbox percentage of Gamepass subs.

Anyway i'd cut the thread derailing if i were you

Concern

He got @'d to come comment.

Now you're mad he came to comment? Also, others are going back and forth with him. It's not like he's just posting endlessly, bashing the game's quality.

Who got @'d? Mad? Nahhh just pointing out the bullshit.

There's like 6 or 7 trolls here who didn't post in the impressions thread.

Exactly. Too much money on the table regarding the PC version. The deal Microsoft offered them wasnt enough to cover PC in their mind, but was enough to cover what they thought they would shift on the Xbox percentage of Gamepass subs.

Anyway i'd cut the thread derailing if i were you
Yes, and the place with more sales pay 70 dollars for it so that the game get its profit. That way Sony will lose all its customers in litttle time. Or they offer the same to the publisher or Cyberpunk the game, but nobody should pay full price for it now.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Game will probably be dead with or without gamepass. I did not see anything attractive in that demo I played.

Gediminas

Banned
you people need to educate yourself what AAA even means.

p.s. the game is not AAA, nor Days Gone was, even if it felt like one.

anyways. it is still a good deal however you look at it. it adds to the value, not taking it from it.(y)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well shit, the first month of GP on pc is 1 euros, great news.

Wait, it's only for xbox and not gamepass on pc?!

Last edited:

Stuart360

Another not even good enough to be average game on Game Pass that people didn't give a crap about but now will suddenly be the best thing in gaming because it's on the holy sub.
Oh go away with that crap. A lot of people liked the demo in the demo thread. The game has barely left Steams Top 10 since pre-oders went up a few weeks ago. CohhCarnage played the demo for 17 hours, yes 17 hours and wasnt even sponsored. I'm still buying the game even though i just got shafted for having PC Gamepass.

Top Bottom