• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outriders is currently #1 Top Paid game on Xbox Store

AnotherOne

Some people said GP kills game sales, others said not sustainable and its illegal and so on.
zEwVAMY.jpg

🇺🇸 and 🇨🇦 store.

Last edited:

CRAIG667

I'm playing it on gamepass, really enjoying it but i have no idea why people would opt to buy when they can play 400 games on gamepass?!

I used to buy all my movies on Blu-ray, I used to buy all my music on CD, I used to buy all my games on disc.

Now I just think, what's the point!? If there were any incentive like the media increasing in value over time then cool but in most cases this does not happen...

I think when Sony get their own competitive version of gamepass it will be huge too.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
A lot of people will purposefully miss the point of the post. That's okay.

Fact is, the game is proving that GamePass doesn't swallow up the sales. You can't debate that. If everyone who was going to play the game just opted for the GP route, it wouldn't be on this list.

People with GP will tell their friends about this game. Their friends, who aren't interested in GP will consider buying the game. That's just one way GP helps spread sales - increased word of mouth due to mass accessibility.

GamePass doesn't kill sales.

FrankWza

PC gamepass
People with GP
interested in GP
GP helps spread sales
GamePass doesn't kill sales.
coming to Game Pass in the near future.
With the spring sale going on, the game had to compete with hundreds of heavily discounted games and Gamepass.
In not buying it when it leaves gamepass,
Looks like a sales thread to me.
20 posts in
Also being discussed here:

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is this a good thing? Hear me out. The sales were really really leaning towards ps5 last I heard. Does this mean not many games are selling on Xbox right now at all? Which also could be a good thing as it means everyone is on gamepass?

Not console Waring, legit question based on probably bar data.

Kagey K

Banned
Is this a good thing? Hear me out. The sales were really really leaning towards ps5 last I heard. Does this mean not many games are selling on Xbox right now at all? Which also could be a good thing as it means everyone is on gamepass?

Not console Waring, legit question based on probably bar data.
All we have is boxed sales in the UK to go off.

They really mean very little in the overall scheme of the gaming world.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Gonna give it a while for bug fixes on PC and hopefully a price drop before I try again. Steam sales don't fail me now

Fredrik

All we have is boxed sales in the UK to go off.

They really mean very little in the overall scheme of the gaming world.
There is top downloads too but only for march 2021 and Outriders came out in april.

Anyway, I find it interesting that the toplist is so different where I’m at (Sweden, Outriders at #11) compared to US an Canada in the OP. Checked the UK store and Outriders is at #8 there.

Last edited:

Three

Does ps5 have a top ten list?
You mean playstation store? There is no separate xbox Series/one store data and no separate PS5/PS4 store data. UK outriders is not top 5 on xbox store

and this is the PlayStation store bestsellers:

Neither actually says how they are updated or if they're even ordered by sales count in the list. There is a monthly PSN chart which specifically mentions an ordered chart.

Drewpee

Banned
I'm playing it on gamepass, really enjoying it but i have no idea why people would opt to buy when they can play 400 games on gamepass?!
I used to wonder the same and I think it goes back to the fact that gamers like to feel like they own their own media. The issue is thats not really the case.

Buying a disc does not mean you own the game, it means you own the disc that runs the game. Same for online, you pay for the right to play the game, you do not own rights to the game.

Realizing that as fact made it so much easier to transition away from physical media and get over the idea of owning my games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You mean playstation store? There is no separate xbox Series/one store data and no separate PS5/PS4 store data. UK outriders is not top 5 on xbox store

and this is the PlayStation store bestsellers:

Neither actually says how they are updated or if they're even ordered by sales count in the list. There is a monthly PSN chart which specifically mentions an ordered chart.
Woah ff7 is a top seller? Wasn't that free?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Top paid - no numbers.

Boy Meets World Yes GIF
I never believe these lists. It's like Netflix showing me movies and shows in the Top 10 in Canada.

I think companies show what they are promoted to show.
Top Paid Games probably based on the most active games that are not free-to-play. I doubt it's ordered by "money made" given the £8 gang-beasts is in the top 4, ahead of £60 Call of Duty.
Top paid game on Xbox Store is always the most frequently bought game. It has nothing to do with Game Pass, except for console war trolling.

FrankWza

Nah he’s going to be a baby anytime anyone utters the word Gamepass outside that “main” thread.
He can’t help himself.
Eh...didn’t you throw a tantrum just yesterday about this? This is what the mods want. Isn’t it? This isn’t enough?

Notable announcements can get their own threads. Monthly sets of regular releases can get their own threads. General ongoing talk can go here to cut down on the daily hype wars and bickering threads.

Sounds fair. At least it’s not in the communities section;)

FrankWza

Yeah great isn’t it, people using gamepass and people also buy. Great to have options Frank!!
That’s not the point. We shouldn’t need to report things when just yesterday this was policed and restructured to appease some. There’s more than enough options at this point. Do we need a thread masquerading as sales thread that’s really another gp thread now?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That’s not the point. We shouldn’t need to report things when just yesterday this was policed and restructured to appease some. There’s more than enough options at this point. Do we need a thread masquerading as sales thread that’s really another gp thread now?
This thread a bit different though. It’s showing that a game can still sell and be on gamepass. The other thread was done to show negativity towards the game not selling as well on xbox when it clearly is

I am pretty sure there is Game Pass effect there. First is that Game Pass essentially turned the game into akin F2P games thus people are willing to spend more on the game + word of mouth allowing people playing on other consoles to start playing the game + cross play (I think it has one). Even if they don't have Game Pass, people who played there will say something good about it and people on other platforms will be willing to buy or try the game.

It will be hilarious if Game Pass helps with sales on Playstation too :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Three

Top paid game on Xbox Store is always the most frequently bought game. It has nothing to do with Game Pass, except for console war trolling.
You're not sure about this and have nothing to back it up I assume. They have never explicitly said this ever, and they make no mention of metrics to anyone but people assume it is. It's the same for Android's Top Games list. It is not ordered by downloads but many believe it is. Metrics are never actually shared on any of the stores Top Paid lists.
There is a monthly top downloads on PSN and xbox which specifically mentions a chart by download but other than that we know very little about how these other lists work.

HoodWinked

Phil was right.

An aspect of gaming is that with so many options it does take a swell of interest for a game to catch on. But the way a game can get that sudden popularity happens in different ways. Like Among Us through streams, Starwdew Valley word of mouth, rocket league psn+. Outriders looks painfully generic so it's easy for a game like this to come and go. Gamepass hedges that by instantly putting a low barrier of entry for a subset of gamers which can start the swell of interest in the game. I can see many gamers started playing this then would get thier friends to play with them whom may not have game pass.

Top Bottom